Katherine Jackson Can Challenge Administrators

This is great news. A family member needs to be a co-administrator. I hope they get together and work this out amicably. John Branca previsously said that he didn't have a problem with some member of the family being a third executor. Plus the document said the co-administrators took no position on the petition. This is a good sign. I would hate to see it be a long drawn out issue.

If Priscilla Presley, Elvis' EX-WIFE could finagle her way into being an executor of Elvis's estate when she was not named in the will, Katherine as Micheal's mother deserves this role.

I believe there is no reason to doubt Branca. He has always done good deals for Michael, he has been very royal and is considered to be the number 1 entertainment lawyer.

To correct some mistakes

Branca never worked for Sony. It was Bert Fields. The lawyer Michael hired after he left go Branca with the influence of Geffen. When he found out Bert Fields was working for Sony the same time, he rehired Branca for his business purposes and Fields became his lawyer for personal purposes.

It is true Katherine and Joe filed for bankruptcy in 1999. It was probably due to their not successful business deals. they listed assets in the $100,000 - $500,000 range and their estimated debts in the $10 - $50 million range.

A lot of the websites mentions this bankruptcy in recent news as well such as

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusiv...erine-jacksons-multimillion-dollar-bankruptcy

Katherine and Joe Jackson file for bankruptcy 10 years ago. That's why Katherine shouldn't be administrator of her son's estate.

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusiv...erine-jacksons-multimillion-dollar-bankruptcy

Thanks to the both of you for the links. You wouldn't happen to have a link for the Bert Fields situation too?

This is great news. A family member needs to be a co-administrator. I hope they get together and work this out amicably. John Branca previsously said that he didn't have a problem with some member of the family being a third executor. Plus the document said the co-administrators took no position on the petition. This is a good sign. I would hate to see it be a long drawn out issue.

If Priscilla Presley, Elvis' EX-WIFE could finagle her way into being an executor of Elvis's estate when she was not named in the will, Katherine as Micheal's mother deserves this role.

...and the hell with what Michael wanted?

Judge clears path for challenge of Jackson executors

Ruling: Katherine Jackson can safely challenge the executors of her son's estate

By Alan Duke
CNN

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- Katherine Jackson can safely challenge the men who control singer Michael Jackson's estate without risking her benefits from her son's will, a judge has ruled.

The decision by Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Mitchell Beckloff, which was released Friday, sets up a possible trial in which Katherine Jackson can try to gain control of her son's estate.

Burt Levitch, a Jackson family lawyer, has said they have questions about possible conflicts of interest and the fitness of John Branca and John McClain, who were named as executors in the will the singer signed in 2002.
A provision in Jackson's will said that any beneficiary who contests it could be risk their benefits, but Beckloff's ruling said Katherine Jackson's challenge of executors "would not be a contest within the meaning of the Trust's no contest clause."

Beckloff has already set aside a week in mid-November for a trial to determine if Branca and McClain are fit to run the pop icon's estate.

Court papers made public Thursday revealed that Jackson's mother and his three children are getting an allowance totaling more than $86,000 a month from the estate. The money is in addition to the maintenance of the home -- which is owned by the estate -- in Encino, California, where Katherine Jackson lives with her grandchildren, the documents said.

Katherine Jackson was granted custody of her son's three children soon after Jackson's June 25 death. She and the children were named beneficiaries, along with unnamed charities, in Jackson's 2002 will.

Petitions filed by Branca and McClain in July -- and later approved by Beckloff -- outlined $26,804 in monthly expenses for Katherine Jackson.

The largest amount from that -- $4,722 -- goes to pay for an assistant for her. Another $3,500 each month is budgeted for clothing for Mrs. Jackson, who is 79 years old. She's also given $2,000 each for a housekeeper and driver. She has a $1,500 entertainment allowance each month, the documents said.

The details of the children's budget are mostly blacked out at their lawyer's request. Margaret Lodise told the judge there was concern someone could use the financial information to pose as one of the children online. She told CNN the family was aware of people posing as Jackson children with Twitter accounts.

The documents did reveal the three children get a combined $60,000 a month from their father's estate. They pay $14,600 a month for salaries and payroll taxes for people who take care of them, according to the petition. The children also get $13,260 each month for entertainment and related expenses, the papers said.

The petition estimated Michael Jackson's estate is worth at least $500 million and is growing.

Major deals have been reached in the past month that are expected to add tens of millions of dollars to the estate, including a movie and music deal with Sony.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/09/1...tion=cnn_latest

Ok let me get this straight, Michael's estate is ALREADY worth 500 million?

Didn't it take Elvis 30 years to earn 600 million and hold the spot as #1 top earning dead celebrity?

Michael has already almost surpassed that in not even 3 months?

OMG.

Can you imagine in 30 years from now, what Michael's estate will be worth? Unbelievable!

Ok let me get this straight, Michael's estate is ALREADY worth 500 million?

Didn't it take Elvis 30 years to earn 600 million and hold the spot as #1 top earning dead celebrity?

Michael has already almost surpassed that in not even 3 months?

OMG.

Can you imagine in 30 years from now, what Michael's estate will be worth? Unbelievable!

smh

NO, MJ's estate hasn't earned 500M in 3 months. MJ was already worth that while living, even though the press stated otherwise. And yes, the estate has a lot of debt. Branca estimates the net value to be at 200M$ (assets minus debts)...and growing everyday with all the deals since Michael's passing.

This is not new money...

the will is the last will...that should be respected....Dont confuse Pricilla's case with Katherine's as it is not the same!
Priscilla was not named in the will at all..She fought to be included and not to extend her already existing rights

Katherine is named as the only family member to receive funds....now people who are acting in her name want more...

I think Katherine is being influenced and manipulated into all decisions sadly.

Why? Would they even attempt this? michael wanted it a certain way for a reason. If he wanted to let his mother have total complete control over everything including the finances, then he would've done it. he was a brilliant business man most of the time.

Michael knew what he was doing, and i think he made a good decision, and i hope that the courts will see that as well.

As much as michael loved his family, i believe he distanced himself from them in a business type way for a reason.

smh

NO, MJ's estate hasn't earned 500M in 3 months. MJ was already worth that while living, even though the press stated otherwise. And yes, the estate has a lot of debt. Branca estimates the net value to be at 200M$ (assets minus debts)...and growing everyday with all the deals since Michael's passing.

This is not new money...

Oh ok. Well I know Michael has made close to 300 new money since his death... Incredible!

first of all the Jacksons don't know how to handle so much money, and second they are hungry for money they always felt entitled to a part of what Michael had. no wonder he didn't leave them anything in the will
those kids need to grow faster because this is going to get messier and messier

I don't think Mrs. Jackson wants to run the estate herself.
I can understand why she wld want to question how is it that all of a sudden Branca and company got to ppl executors of the estate when they have been out of the loop for a while.. and maybe she just want to be able to have a say, and not have to go to court everytime she doesn't agree with what they have decided.. I mean if they choose to sell the catalogue, they have no one to argue with them otherwise. (just using that as an example, not saying they wld)... Or put MJ's name on stupid stuff that he otherwise wldn't have lent his name too....

Branca and his co did a great job in the past and they are doing a great job now as well..
their actions (TII movie, TII DVD and soundtrack, reprint of Moonwalk and Dancing the Dream, Opus book) speak for themselves..

on the other side I have JOe's reality show...LaToya's constant chatting to the UK tabloids and Jermaine's failed tribute attempt with worldstars for 2009...not to forget Joe's blueray business....

cant help feeling sad about the judge's decision and feeling Katherine is being used and now all is starting to turn nasty...:(

from what I understand she can challenge their decisions but she can't make decisions herself in the name of the estate right? because that would be a big no-no

it is not about "keeping an eye on whats going on"
she would get that without contesting the will anyway as every decision on payouts or new contracts have to go through the judge anyway...

I didn't know that, is that 100% certain? That would put a different picture on things for me maybe, but then ...

~ Is Beckloff trustworthy?

I don't know what to think of this situation. In the beginning, I thought it would be a good idea to have Katherine at the table so that she can keep an eye on Branca. But since then I have seen how Jermaine has manipulated her by having her write that letter and make that video in support of the tribute, even though it had been circulating that no one in the family supported the tribute besides Jermaine.

My gut instinct is that this ruling might not be a good idea in light of what has happened since Michael's death. But, for sure, there is still more info to come.

Yes, I understand where you're coming from with that, it is a concern.

based on what?

I think the current administrators have been doing a good job.
that is what Michael Jackson wanted.

I'd agree if I could be 100% sure it was Michael's last will and had been made without any coersion or other influences, but because of the way Michael was handled, I don't suppose I'll ever feel 100% certain of that.

For the same reason, I don't feel that I can trust the $'s quoted regarding Michael's finances, particularly before he died. There were just so many people manipulating things for their own reasons.

What about that other will that was mooted, re: Michael leaving Paul McCartney's songs to him?

What happened to the 3rd executor? Why did he drop out of the picture does anyone know?

There was even mention of another will by Malnik ~ but I wouldn't go there with a bargepole.

I believe there is no reason to doubt Branca. He has always done good deals for Michael, he has been very royal and is considered to be the number 1 entertainment lawyer.

To correct some mistakes

Branca never worked for Sony. It was Bert Fields. The lawyer Michael hired after he left go Branca with the influence of Geffen. When he found out Bert Fields was working for Sony the same time, he rehired Branca for his business purposes and Fields became his lawyer for personal purposes.

I'd agree that John Branca has always seemed to have made good business decisions on Michael's behalf, but wasn't there something that came up in a court room session, in regards to Branca having a caribbean bank account with Mottola, that Sony had paid money into?

and I still don't know what to make of all this recent stuff that's come out over the Klein/Hoefflin/Wiesman/Brancai issue, blockages and death threats etc... that's seeming not to sit right with me for some reason now.

The only people who benefit from more court time are the lawyers
on both sides. :scratch:

Yes, too true.

It's been mind-boggling to me learning about the sheer volume of lawsuits that went on, the whole financial picture around Michael was very disturbing, everyone seemed to want a piece of him :(

Would be good, if there could be a truely independant and trustworthy 3rd executor, that no one would be in any doubt about having Michael's wishes and interests at heart and is beyond reproach and coersion etc... is there any such person out there? Sheesh! :(

The judge has ruled right!
Alas, Check and balance prevail. Katherine should be in a good position to rope in Londell McMillian for third opinion and counsel.
No single person one can weild so much power. (MacClain does'nt count).
God forbid another Dieter Weisner spewing off on national television, secret tapes and spider bites ( "Entertainment Tonite"), if there happens to be some chronic random falling out.

Last edited:
the judge won't allow anyone close to the family as an executor .

katie wants Randy as an executor which is the worest nightmare for mj's kids . he will steal everything and sell everything before the kids become of legal age so his mom and them can have actually what they think is their right 40% of mj' estate .

Why? Would they even attempt this? michael wanted it a certain way for a reason. If he wanted to let his mother have total complete control over everything including the finances, then he would've done it. he was a brilliant business man most of the time.

Michael knew what he was doing, and i think he made a good decision, and i hope that the courts will see that as well.

As much as michael loved his family, i believe he distanced himself from them in a business type way for a reason.

I agree. Michael wanted to care for his mother and children, but leave the business to others. Katherine needs to tread lightly here. I hope an amicable solution can be reached.

This isn't good. I can sense huge legal problems coming up. The men are doing a great job and they should respect Michael's wishes.

What's their damn problem? Damn!

their problem is they want to sell everything , the jacksons want to liquidate MJ's estate so katie will get 40% of mj's estate not only 40% of the estate profits as long as she is alive , the jacksons don't want taxes and loans being paid on katie's expenses . they believe now they have right to mj's money in other words they feel it IS THEIR MONEY NOW and they want the maximum knowing that is not at all in his kids best interest.

The Jackson brothers doing a reality show for money.
Jermaine organizing these MJ events with big stars for money.
Jermaine getting ready to perform Michael Jackson songs = ching ching
LaToya on 20/20 and the View (this one she was definitely paid for)
MTV came Janet Jackson's way only due to the death of Michael Jackson.
Joe Jackson making a reality show = Money, money.
Katherine Jackson being talked into challenging Michael Jackson's will for more Money.

And some of you wonder why his family did not save him.
There was a reason Michael Jackson did not put any
of his siblings down as potential guardians of his children.
I pray the Judge follows Michael Jackson's wishes concerning his children.
In fact, I think it would be best if Katherine Jackson moved out
of Los Angeles County for at least during part of the year.
Remember Michael Jackson warned us
some people will do "Anything for Money".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PifK5xx8lu4...545&index=0[/url]

their problem is they want to sell everything , the jacksons want to liquidate MJ's estate so katie will get 40% of mj's estate not only 40% of the estate profits as long as she is alive , the jacksons don't want taxes and loans being paid on katie's expenses . they believe now they have right to mj's money in other words they feel it IS THEIR MONEY NOW and they want the maximum knowing that is not at all in his kids best interest.
Mr. Jackson's wishes were very clear he did not want his family to control his estate.
Why?

Because Michael Jackson knew his family much better than we do.
He knew they were obsessed with money and fame.
Prepare yourself peeps. His family may be about to claim that
Michael Jackson was mentally incompetent at the time he made out his will.

she should have a seat at th etable. her and HER ALONE. no children, none of his siblings, mj didn't want that. he put together the team he wanted. now she wants to say he could've been under the influence or maybe they lied to him or tricked him to get on the estate.

they've done nothing but make money for teh estate. maybe she doesn't want to work w/ aeg cuz she feels they had a hand in mj's demise. i understand that. but other than that....? they've done great

and katie lawyers are saying mj was under "undue influence", wow .let me predit that Brian Oxman may take the stand and tell the judge mj was not mentally fit .

she should have a seat at th etable. her and HER ALONE. no children, none of his siblings, mj didn't want that. he put together the team he wanted. now she wants to say he could've been under the influence or maybe they lied to him or tricked him to get on the estate.

they've done nothing but make money for teh estate. maybe she doesn't want to work w/ aeg cuz she feels they had a hand in mj's demise. i understand that. but other than that....? they've done great

she had no problem when AEG organized mj's memorial . she had no problem with the movie, but she had a problem with the memorabilia tour because Randy and jermaine broke a deal with a starting up company in the middle east and she did not want AEG any more .

it's not a good news but the executors didn't object to this motion! I wonder why ?

I don't think anyone at Jackson Family pushing Katherine. According to Jet magazine Branca and McClain will remain in charge of Michael's estate until at least October, Beckoff ruled. The judge will consider a motion by Katherine Jackson's attorneys on whether she can disqualify the men from administering the estate on grounds of their capacity or potential conflicts of interest.

cuz they got something on the brothers and know what's up. im sure mj told them something like this would happen.

and the reality show was in production before mj's death so that don't count

I consider aveeno1 one of the most intelligent fans mj ever had along with TSCM and I hope aveeno did not mind posting her/his posts on kop discussion board :

aveeno:

SUPERIOR COURT OF CALIFORNIA, COUNTY OF LOS ANGELES
Date: September 17, 2009 DEPARTMENT 5
HONORABLE: Mitchell L. Beckloff
DEPUTY SHERIFF: NONE
M. Dewey, DEPUTY JUDICIAL ASSISTANT
No REPORTER
BP 117321 (Parties and Counsel checked if present)

In re the Estate of Michael Jackson
COUNSEL FOR
PETITIONERN/A
COUNSEL FOR
RESPONDENT N/A

RULING ON SUBMITTED MATTER: SAFE HARBOR PETITION
(Probate Code section 21320)

The court has read and considered the petition, its supplements, and the letter of
September 15, 2009 responding to the court's September 11, 2009 request for additional
information. The second supplement filed September 9,2009 contained two proposed
pleadings (one of which is an objection) at ExhibitfTab Band ExhibitfTab C.

The Special Co-Administrators have taken no position on Katherine Jackson's petition.
(The Special Co-Administrators initially objected on the grounds that no proposed
objection had been filed with the safe harbor petition. That concern is now moot.)

The court finds notice has been given as required by law. While this petition may have
been filed by Ms. Jackson in the Probate proceedings instead of the Trust proceedings,
the court find there will be no prejudice to any party in having the issue heard and decided
in the Probate proceeding. (The court also notes that there is no Trust matter currently
pending.)

The court finds that the proposed pleadings at ExhibitiTab Band ExhibitiTab C
would not be a contest within the meaning of the Trust's no contest clause.
While the proposed objection addresses (among other things) undue influence, the court
finds that the allegation of undue influence is made in connection to an objection to the
appointment of a fiduciary and such an objection as a public policy matter may not be
deemed a contest. (Prob. Code sec. 21305, subd. (
cool.gif
(7).)

A copy of this minute order is sent to counsel as shown by way of first-class mail as
shown on the Clerk's Certificate of Service:

Burt Levitch, Esq., Rosenfeld, Meyer & Susman, 9601 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 710
Beverly Hills, CA 90210 FAX: 310-860-2430
Paul Hoffman, Esq., Hoffman, Sabban et aI., 10880 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 2200
Los Angeles, CA 90024 FAX: 310-470-6735
Howard Weitzman, Esq., Kinsella Weitzman et aI., 808 Wilshire Blvd., Third Floor
Santa Monica, CA 90401
1 Minutes Entered:
Department 5

Interesting... Co-Administrators didn't object - they did only before actual proposed objection was filed, once Mrs J's team did, the Co-executors were ok with her asking the court for permission to challenge them....
that's very interesting.

The court has made a narrow judgment (re: Mrs J's points are made in connection to an objection to the
appointment of a fiduciary and that the judge finds doesn't trigger the no-contest clause) and now Mrs J and her lawyers must submit proof beyond reasonable doubt of among other things "undue influence" at the time MJ was signing his will not only in 2002 but also in 1997 since those 2 wills are identical and in fact the MJ family trust was established with the first 1997 Will and never changed only updated in 2002 to match the updating of the Will at that time...

Mrs J has a chance now and i hope she and her lawyers are meticulous in what they present and have concrete evidence (not Leonard Rowe's thoughts or Randy's thoughts or Joe's thinking) they should present a solid case based on fact if they really want to win. Mrs J and team have much to prove now i hope they do a good job.

On the other hand Branca and McClain will call up everyone MJ worked with and talked to at the time to disprove any "undue influence" claim. MJ is also known to video tape almost EVERYTHING his does so during that period of time there could be video tapes etc of him well and happy go lucky etc in business meetings, maybe performing somewhere or at a party somewhere or in a recording studio etc... or if the Co-executors and those involved have tape of him during the discussions, preparations and signing of the wills that will disprove any "undue influence" claims made...

Here are several definitions of Fiduciary

An individual, corporation or association holding assets for another party, often with the legal authority and duty to make decisions regarding financial matters on behalf of the other party.

A person who has a legal and ethical duty to act in the best interests of another person. Examples include an executor or a guardian.
www.courts.state.va.us/glossary_of_court_terms.html

An individual or institution responsible for acting in the best interests of another party. A fiduciary is bound by law and duty to put aside personal interests and act in good faith when making decisions for the benefit of another.
www.northerntrust.com/pws/jsp/display2.jsp

All that said my personal opinion is this filing was made to strategically "make" the co-executors appoint Mrs J or a person of her choosing as the 3rd co-executor. Only McClain & Branka (according to MJ's Will) can choose the 3rd co-executor
it will be interesting to see how all this plays out. If Mrs J continues to have Joe/Randy/Rowe advising she may not get what she wants possibly but who knows...

Back