Leaked emails update (Michael Jackson)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was responding to your message that you prefer him singing bad rather than him lip syncing, take Motown 25 for example.. who gave two thought's about lip syncing? his dancing was the reason people were entertained.. no one could move like him.

I think the Motown 25 performance could have been even better if he had sang live.

I think the Motown 25 performance could have been even better if he had sang live.

A LOT better actually !!

Also - playback was more accepted back then. - Had Motown 25 been in 2015 - people would of course have liked the performance - but there would have been a lot of focus on the playback. - Back then no one cared. - Some did not even know playback was possible really. :lol:

Just to put in stone how true this is - just think about the J5 performance just before BJ - all 100 % live. - So much better IMO.

He had the voice - so why do playback. J5 medley is perfect. - Would it be enjoyable had it been playback? YES. - But is it better with live vocals. HE#& YEAH !!!

And BJ would have been even more amazing with live vocals.

Michael decided how thing's were done, people wanted to see him dance.. he didn't want to disappoint them with bad vocals i.e Munich, so he gave them ''the best show that we can possibly give them'' as he said in PHM.

All my concerns aside - off course I will go to the theather to see this show - more than once even if I have the time. And I will also buy the Blu-Ray, no doubt.

But I still think they could have choosen a better tour to release.

All my concerns aside - off course I will go to the theather to see this show - more than once even if I have the time. And I will also buy the Blu-Ray, no doubt.

You don't know that they won't release the Dangerous Tour also, main priority is getting all three tours in High def.. so, will be one down & two to go!

I really don't see what the big deal is to be honest. The only people who'll go to see the HIStory concert in theatres will be existing fans who more than likely already know he relied heavily on lip-synching back then anyway.

MJ has nothing to prove. So what if a few critics lay into him for lip-synching. MJ spent more than two decades showcasing what a great live vocalist he was, I don't think the HIStory tour can erase that.

Michael decided how thing's were done, people wanted to see him dance.. he didn't want to disappoint them with bad vocals i.e Munich, so he gave them ''the best show that we can possibly give them'' as he said in PHM.

I think singing is as important as dancing or maybe even more important. I'm sure people went to see Michael sing also. If I go to a concert I expect to hear live singing.

I don't care anymore, all i want is unreleased tracks/high def short films/studio footage/Tour Blu-Rays. I'm not gonna complain.

I don't think this should be treated as a fact. I wrote an e-mail to the online team regarding my (and many others') concerns about this possible release. The answer was the same as to Zakk: "remember rumours are just rumours".

I think singing is as important as dancing or maybe even more important. I'm sure people went to see Michael sing also. If I go to a concert I expect to hear live singing.

During This Is It, what was the main thing people were most impressed by? His vocal performance on Human Nature.

I don't think this should be treated as a fact. I wrote an e-mail to the online team regarding my (and many others') concerns about this possible release. The answer was the same as to Zakk: "remember rumours are just rumours".

Did anyone stop & think that maybe they're discussing possible concert releases and what would be the most commercially viable? for now i think it would be the Dangerous World Tour with the BAD & HIStory coming later.

I really don't see what the big deal is to be honest. The only people who'll go to see the HIStory concert in theatres will be existing fans who more than likely already know he relied heavily on lip-synching back then anyway.

MJ has nothing to prove. So what if a few critics lay into him for lip-synching. MJ spent more than two decades showcasing what a great live vocalist he was, I don't think the HIStory tour can erase that.

Unfortunately that's not how it is viewed. A lot of people do not know much about MJ as a live artist. In fact, I have already seen lots of opinions about him being a "lip-sync" artist because his most famous performances (eg. Motown 25) were blatantly lip-synced. Like said, back in the 80s it was no big deal, but for this new generation who watch him on YouTube it is. The general view about lip-syncing changed a lot since the 80s. People would rather see someone sing not that well, but live, than lip-sync.

So I do not think it's a good idea to cement that view about MJ with a high profile cinema release of an almost fully lip-synched concert. Why do that when MJ was a great live singer and there is concert footage to underline that and to dispel the myth about him always lip-synching rather than reinforcing it? And I don't think it's only existing fans who would watch a high profile cinema release. Such releases generally attract more than just hard core fans, simply because people are interested in what a big name artist was able to do in concert. What MJ was able to do is definitely not well represented with the HIStory tour.

I am questioning the validity of this Facebook post. The full audio clearly shows the concert is not 100% live. There is no other information regarding the OTW documentary minus a 2015 release. It could be the poster(s) was more interested in the possible concert release as per their several posts regarding it. I hope this is not just wishful thinking on their parts.

Also - playback was more accepted back then. - Had Motown 25 been in 2015 - people would of course have liked the performance - but there would have been a lot of focus on the playback. - Back then no one cared. - Some did not even know playback was possible really. :lol:

People did also not care about playback in his 1995 MTW-awards-performance and it counts still as the best ever from a artist.

People did also not care about playback in his 1995 MTW-awards-performance and it counts still as the best ever from a artist.

If the 1995 MTV performance had been in 2014 - people would complain about the playback I think.

If the 1995 MTV performance had been in 2014 - people would complain about the playback I think.

Actually I remember Billy Corgan (singer of the Smashing Pumpkins) criticized MJ for the lip-syncing after the 1995 MTV performance.

Like I said, too many people already think MJ was a lip-sync artist because most of his TV performances at award shows were lip-synced. I think the task is not to reinforce this false meme but to dispel it and to show it to the world that he was a great live singer. A HIStory tour in the theaters would only reiforce this idea in people that MJ could not sing live when nothing could be further from the truth.

I understand your concern, but it is obviously that Michael not perceived it as a concern. He made it even often obviously, such as in the MTW-award performance, he did not even have a head-set on during his Dangerous-performance.

Did MJ really perform Scream and YANA live on the opening night?

Even if they were performed live, the estate would probably dub them with pre-recorded vocals. Just like they (at least I think it was them?) did with the audio from Scream in Brunei.

Very difficult to sing live to a good level while dancing the way mj did. he obviously felt the best way to make it look/sound as good as poss was to compromise in some way. And seeing as tours were stadium shows its very difficult for most of those in attendence to tell one way or the other or probably even care because for most attending they are so far away to feel part of it anyway.ontop of his lung issues etc. If theres a cinema release coming 95% of viewers will be fans who know the score anyway. personally id wait for the facts behind this story before passing judgement on something that might not be true

i doubt the general public could care less. they wont be going to watch it only fans. i know we are fans but we should remember that most ppl couldnt care less about mj let alone whether he mimed during concerts or not. they have no idea either way.id be more concered that they think hes a raving D.A/ C.A
If you want people to think that Michael was a lip sync artist who couldn't sing live then HStory Tour is perfect for cinemas

I understand your concern, but it is obviously that Michael not perceived it as a concern. He made it even often obviously, such as in the MTW-award performance, he did not even have a head-set on during his Dangerous-performance.

Whether he considered it as a concern there is no need to reinforce that "lip-sync artist" image of him when all of his other tours are better than HIStory and could show him in a better form than during HIStory. Why pick his his most criticizable tour for a high profile cinema release? I cannot get my head around it. This tour is even controversial within the fan base as you can see, so how will it impress others?

i doubt the general public could care less. they wont be going to watch it only fans. i know we are fans but we should remember that most ppl couldnt care less about mj let alone whether he mimed during concerts or not. they have no idea either way.id be more concered that they think hes a raving D.A/ C.A

I do not agree it would remain within the fan base. Cinema releases of concerts are always noted by the press and even by general music lovers. The last thing I want to see in the music press and their comment sections is MJ being compared to Britney Spears for the blatant and extensive lip-syncing.

Theatrical releases depend highly on advertising, they could create a wonderful trailer.. Get the word out.. promote it on Television etc.! Billboards and cardboard cutouts in theaters too..

The last thing I want to see in the music press and their comment sections is MJ being compared to Britney Spears for the blatant and extensive lip-syncing.

This will never happen, Michael has nothing to prove.. his dancing is what attracted people to view his genius in person. And now those who couldn't see him live, will get a chance to see a theatrical masterclass with fantastic choreography and control by the greatest live entertainer of all time.

Some great footage from Michael's time in Prague that they could show, including behind the scenes.. fans arriving.. i'm sure their will be another intro..

Have it exactly like this? well, with some of this footage and the voice over should speak English..

Last edited:
Theatrical releases depend highly on advertising, they could create a wonderful trailer.. Get the word out.. promote it on Television etc.! Billboards and cardboard cutouts in theaters too..

This will never happen, Michael has nothing to prove.. his dancing is what attracted people to view his genius in person. And now those who couldn't see him live, will get a chance to see a theatrical masterclass with fantastic choreography and control by the greatest live entertainer of all time.

Well, if MJ is only a dancer to you, that's you. To me he is also a singer who could perform great live and seeing him only dancing is just half of the experience. Why to give half experience to a high profile cinema release to represent him as a live artist to a wider audience when you could give them a great performance showing the full experience (dancing AND singing)? And sorry they are not going to see him as the "greatest live performer of all times" when he is blatantly lip-syncing. Instead he will be torn to pieces for it.

It is very very hard to sing and dance at the same time, singing alone gets you out of breath. Michael was known for his music but for his VISUAL performance and iconic dance moves.

It is very very hard to sing and dance at the same time, singing alone gets you out of breath. Michael was known for his music but for his VISUAL performance and iconic dance moves.

Yes, but I say it again: Michael COULD sing and dance at the same time as he showed at his previous tours. So why release his most criticizable tour to a high profile cinema release when he did dozens and hundreds of better shows than that?

No one needs to defend MJ here about the HIStory tour. The point is not that. The point is that he deserves to be represented at his best to a wider audience, like all other artists are, and not at his worst. I really don't understand why fans would not want him to be represented at his best and in his full artistic brilliance at the theaters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back