least favourite song on each solo album?

Off The Wall: Girlfriend. Weird McCartney song about cheating(?).
Thriller: Lady In My Life. It was hard to choose.
BAD: Another Part Of Me. I think because it was already heard on Captain EO and not "new" in that sense.
Dangerous: Can't Let Her Get Away. I'm not a fan of the Intro and the beat is kinda repetitive. The other NJS tracks are better.
HIStory: This Time Around. Okay track, but the weakest to the other tracks IMO
Blood On The Dancefloor: I can't chose. I like all of the original tracks.
Invincible: Heaven Can Wait. Simply skip it all the time.

Off The Wall: GIRLFRIEND (Too cheesy for me)

Thriller: THE GIRL IS MINE (So much weaker than the rest of this masterpiece of an album. I preferred the demo too). Would have much preferred "Someone In The Dark" instead.

Bad: JUST GOOD FRIENDS (Surely they could have found a better duet for MJ to sing with Stevie Wonder, or it could have been replaced with "Streetwalker"

Dangerous: DANGEROUS (long boring beat that just goes on and on - really needed editing down) closely followed by HEAL THE WORLD (which imo would have been better as a standalone charity single) and replaced with "Someone Put Your Hand Out" instead.

HIStory: HISTORY (really don't like the chorus - there is no glory in every soldier who dies). Would have been better to have had songs like "Blood On The Dancefloor" & "Ghost" included on the HIStory album and for no BOTD album, just the album History Remixed.

Blood On The Dancefloor: MORPHINE (just don't like it)

Invincible: INVINCIBLE (monotonous) followed by PRIVACY (point had been made so much already). Would have much preferred to have had "Hollywood Tonight" or "She Was Loving Me" included on the Invincible album

Last edited:
Off The Wall: It's The Falling In Love
Thriller: The Girl Is Mine
Bad: Just Good Friends
Dangerous: Heal The World (The hardest, I love every song on Dangerous)
History: Little Susie
BOTDF: This Time Around Remix
Invincible: The Lost Children

Fair enough. Even MJ himself mostly only cared for the stuff where he got to write on it though.
More specifically, he only cared about the recently-released songs, ie what's on sale just now. All musicians are like that, they always say the newest album is their best one.

Besides, if you don't like the Motown albums, all the more reason to include them in a thread called "least favourite song on each solo album"!

One thing i could gather from this forum is: most MJ fans aren't NJS fans it seems
That is a wrong conclusion.

These Michael Jackson fans simply do not like certain new jack swing songs from the 'Dangerous' album, but they do like other new jack swing songs from the same album (such as, 'In The Closet', 'Jam, and 'Remember The Time').
HIStory: HISTORY (really don't like the chorus - there is no glory in every soldier who dies). Would have been better to have had songs like "Blood On The Dancefloor" & "Ghost" included on the HIStory album and for no BOTD album, just the album History Remixed.
A soldier's death in a war has been praised as the most glorious death (in human history), hence the "every soldier dies in his glory" line in the song's chorus.

These Michael Jackson fans simply do not like certain new jack swing songs from the 'Dangerous' album, but they do like other new jack swing songs from the same album (such as, 'In The Closet', 'Jam, and 'Remember The Time').
I've seen several people on this who are in countries outside of the US say they've never heard of New Jack Swing until Dangerous. Well how can they be a fan of NJS then? If Michael Jackson hadn't done it, they probably still wouldn't have heard it. How popular were Al B. Sure!, Bobby Brown, Keith Sweat, Redhead Kingpin, Kool Moe Dee, Today, Heavy D & The Boyz, etc in European countries? The actual NJS artists and not an outside artist who dabbled in it on a few songs on an album, and then when it was starting to lose popularity because of oversaturation in the USA.

Figures that "Just Good Friends" and "The Girl Is Mine" have been mentioned more than any other song in this thread. "Girlfriend" is up there, too lol

Last edited:
Off The Wall: Girlfriend (least favorite but i love the song)
Thriller: The Girl Is Mine (this song could be good in a side b single like "the man")
Bad: Just Good Friends (not shine on their album)
Dangerous: Will you be there (probably most overrated mj song)
HIStory: HIStory (same as "Girlfriend")
Blood On The Dance Floor: is it scary (beatbox rework of ghost), remix: Earth song (destroy all the magic of the original song)
Invincible: Half of the album are extremely forgettable and are extremely bad ( 2000 watts, you are my life, cry, the lost children, threatened)

1) Off The Wall: Girlfriend
2) Thriller: The Girl Is Mine
3) Bad: Another Part Of Me
4) Dangerous: Can't Let Her Get Away
5) HIStory: D.S.
6) Blood On The Dance Floor: Blood On The Dancefloor
7) Invincible: Butterflies

1) Burn This Disco Out comes close. Otherwise, a great-sounding album.
2) Best-selling album but I can't really listen to it from start to finish.
3) Just Good Friends and Bad could have easily been chosen too. Incidentally, MJ's original proposal for the album cover for Bad would have aged far better than what they went with.
4) Can't Let Her Get Away uses a sample that I have heard before (and it plays way too much throughout the song). I can not get over that. MJ should have insisted on new sounds.
5) With Michael's money and resources, this is the best diss song he could do?
6) The song always sounded unfinished to me. It needs an injection of excitement and punch. The remixes on this album are far worse than any of the new songs, but I'm not including those.
7) If I lost Invincible tomorrow, I'd only miss Break Of Dawn. This is Michael's worst album, in my opinion. I can't remember the last time I played it from start to finish but it was a long, long, long time ago.

Last edited:
Off the Wall: Girlfriend
Thriller: Baby Be Mine
Dangerous: CLHGA
HIStory: Childhood
BOTDF: You are not alone mix
Invincible: You Are My Life/ Cry
Michael: Keep Your Head Up
Xscape: Loving You

Off The Wall: Girlfriend
Bad: Just Good Friends (The least liked, i love all the songs)
Dangerous: Heal the World
Blood On The Dance Floor: Excluding the remixes, Superfly Sister
Invincible:  Cry
Michael: Excluding the fake songs, Hold my Hand
Xscape: Do You Know Where Your Children Are

Off The Wall - Girlfriend
Thriller - The Girl Is Mine
Bad - can't do it
Dangerous - can't do it
HIStory - Little Susie
Blood On The Dance Floor - The Remixes
Invincible- Don't Walk Away

Off The Wall: Girlfriend
Dangerous: Heal the World
Blood On The Dance Floor: Superfly Sister
Invincible:  Heaven Can Wait
Michael: Best Of Joy
Xscape: She Was Loving Me (demo)

I've seen several people on this who are in countries outside of the US say they've never heard of New Jack Swing until Dangerous. Well how can they be a fan of NJS then? If Michael Jackson hadn't done it, they probably still wouldn't have heard it. How popular were Al B. Sure!, Bobby Brown, Keith Sweat, Redhead Kingpin, Kool Moe Dee, Today, Heavy D & The Boyz, etc in European countries? The actual NJS artists and not an outside artist who dabbled in it on a few songs on an album, and then when it was starting to lose popularity because of oversaturation in the USA.
People outside USA were actually familiar with the new jack swing genre considering that certain artists during that period (aside Michael Jackson) were successful also internationally with their new jack swing songs.

For example:

- Janet Jackson with her 'What Have You Done For Me Lately' song (1986)
- Janet Jackson with her 'Rhythm Nation' album (1989)
- Kylie Minogue with her 'Let's Get To It' album (1991)
- R. Kelly with his 'She's Got That Vibe' song (1992)
- TLC with their 'CrazySexyCool' album (1994)
- Montell Jordan with his 'This Is How We Do It' song (1995)
Incidentally, MJ's original proposal for the album cover for Bad would have aged far better than what they went with.
Michael Jackson's original proposal (for the front cover of his 'BAD' album) was not a good idea at all.

Note that it was also a rip-off of the famous portrait of the American actress Gloria Swanson (her portrait with the black lace).

That is why, the record company's top executives considered it to be too feminine and thus they later rejected it.

^^^Kylie Minogue? The fact that you mentioned her instead of the acts I listed does not mean anything. She's no different than Michael Jackson, not a NJS artist. Boy George put out a New Jack Swing album too, he's still not a New Jack artist. I guess next you're going to say that Sting, Paul McCartney, Aretha Franklin, & Phil Collins are hip hop artists because they collaborated with rappers, lol. Other than TLC's first album and early R. Kelly, nobody you mentioned is a actual NJS artist. Montell Jordan is just regular R&B and his first record came out after NJS was pretty much dead on the radio. So that kinda says that you don't know what New Jack Swing is if Janet Jackson is your example of it. Janet had records before NJS was a thing and others after it was gone. The majority of NJS only acts died out when it lost mainstream popularity, they only had 2 or 3 albums in general before they got dropped from their labels. Even Teddy Riley's group after Guy (Blackstreet) was not NJS

What's your least favourite/most disliked song on each MJ solo album released with Epic Records?

Mine are:

Off The Wall: Burn This Disco Out
Thriller: The Girl Is Mine (I like the demo actually)
Dangerous: She Drives Me Wild
HIStory: D.S.
Blood On The Dance Floor: Superfly Sister
Invincible:  Privacy
Off The Wall: It’s The Falling In Love
Thriller: Thriller, just because it’s over played everywhere
Bad: Leave Me Alone- but not really because I can listen to the whole album without skipping and that’s the last song
Dangerous: She Drives Me Wild, I hate the horn honking sound
HIStory: DS…and also Smile because it reminds me of his funeral and I just can’t listen to it
Blood On The Dance Floor: The remix of Stranger In Moscow- it does not make sense to have that song remixed at all.
Invincible: You Are My Life, because it’s kinda wine-y and I have to be in the right mood for it.

Off The Wall: GIRLFRIEND (Too cheesy for me)

Thriller: THE GIRL IS MINE (So much weaker than the rest of this masterpiece of an album. I preferred the demo too). Would have much preferred "Someone In The Dark" instead.

Bad: JUST GOOD FRIENDS (Surely they could have found a better duet for MJ to sing with Stevie Wonder, or it could have been replaced with "Streetwalker"

Dangerous: DANGEROUS (long boring beat that just goes on and on - really needed editing down) closely followed by HEAL THE WORLD (which imo would have been better as a standalone charity single) and replaced with "Someone Put Your Hand Out" instead.

Blood On The Dancefloor: MORPHINE (just don't like it)

Invincible: INVINCIBLE (monotonous) followed by PRIVACY (point had been made so much already). Would have much preferred to have had "Hollywood Tonight" or "She Was Loving Me" included on the Invincible album
Morphine is just the saddest song to me…he needed help :(

People outside USA were actually familiar with the new jack swing genre considering that certain artists during that period (aside Michael Jackson) were successful also internationally with their new jack swing songs.

For example:

- Janet Jackson with her 'What Have You Done For Me Lately' song (1986)
- Janet Jackson with her 'Rhythm Nation' album (1989)
- Kylie Minogue with her 'Let's Get To It' album (1991)
- R. Kelly with his 'She's Got That Vibe' song (1992)
- TLC with their 'CrazySexyCool' album (1994)
- Montell Jordan with his 'This Is How We Do It' song (1995)

Michael Jackson's original proposal (for the front cover of his 'BAD' album) was not a good idea at all.

Note that it was also a rip-off of the famous portrait of the American actress Gloria Swanson (her portrait with the black lace).

That is why, the record company's top executives considered it to be too feminine and thus they later rejected it.
Gosh You again!! this is supposed to be hated tracks on every album... not your oppinions presented as facts again... So tired of this

I can see that about the remix! The original is special to me because I love the video so much, being I was a dancer and took various forms of Latin ballroom :)
I do love the song and video. It's probably my favorite. It's just, in the company of the other 4, it's 1uite a lot.

I can see that about the remix! The original is special to me because I love the video so much, being I was a dancer and took various forms of Latin ballroom :)
Can I ask which version of the BOTDF video you prefer (assuming you even do prefer one over the other)? The original is great but I would take the longer 7 - 8 minute version any day.

But both of them work for me bc to see Michael surrounded by dancers, looking like he's with his gang, his people - god, I love that. :love:

Can I ask which version of the BOTDF video you prefer (assuming you even do prefer one over the other)? The original is great but I would take the longer 7 - 8 minute version any day.

But both of them work for me bc to see Michael surrounded by dancers, looking like he's with his gang, his people - god, I love that. :love:
i will have to check out the longer version- I’m only familiar with the original and I had a dvd that had a version with the remix- which felt unsatisfying to watch as the video needs the driving beat of the original song. I’m going to look up the longer video!

i will have to check out the longer version- I’m only familiar with the original and I had a dvd that had a version with the remix- which felt unsatisfying to watch
Hm, that's so interesting. I find the longer version immensely more satisfying than the official video.

as the video needs the driving beat of the original song. I’m going to look up the longer video!
Oh, that's an intriguing thought. I'm generally not keen on remixes, especially long ones, but I'm OK with this one bc of the long video. But, ngl, I watch the video and the song does recede somewhat into the background. It's all about the visuals for me, the dancers, the costumes, the staging, the composition of each shot, how cool they all look, how much I love that Michael has a gang around him. There is a connection that dancers have, imo, that is different even than musicians. Unless I'm just projecting my fantasies onto this video, lol. Could be! :D

Am I literally the only person who's going to list all his albums?!?!

Back