Lets Discuss BAD concerts footage and what may have been shot on film ?

r3mJf.gif
:fear:

Here's what I think is the issue and confusion.
1. The estate were only responsible for restoring the quality of The main feature (i.e Wembley 16th)
2. TWYMMF was from U-Matic but consider 2 things ( 1. Tapes degrade 2. It could be a copy of the master)
3. BAD TOUR L.A AND Dirty Diana NY were recorded on a BETA Tape, MUCH Higher Quality than VHS, and Umatic.
4.Dangerous Tour was ALSO recorded on BETA TAPE. Why Beta? Because the 80s/90s television standard for recording was on the sony betacam.
(As speculated) Bad Tour L.A was apparently planned for release back in the day(so I have heard) so this could be the reason it was recorded on the highest possible tape standard of the time.
U-Matic was the Tape standard for the 70s. I really don't know why Michael or his production team went cheap with the choice of the outdated tape format.
So basically, Dangerous Tour , Bad Tour L.A, History Tour were recorded on a higher standard tape. As said by Rudolf this is still speculation. This is my educated estimate lol :)
I hope this clears the confusion though...

I was leaning towards this all along. Nice comment.

So the Bad Tour show we should be asking for is L.A? Cause reading through this thread that seems to be the one with the best quality. Release Bad Tour L.A and we can have Dirty Diana live in New York as a bonus feature

What should have been done is that L.A should have been released on HQ DVD and if possible HD Blu Ray and then Wembley could have been released as a bonus DVD disk cause while the quality of Wembley is average it's still an iconic show.

Last edited:
So the Bad Tour show we should be asking for is L.A? Cause reading through this thread that seems to be the one with the best quality. Release Bad Tour L.A and we can have Dirty Diana live in New York as a bonus feature

What should have been done is that L.A should have been released on HQ DVD and if possible HD Blu Ray and then Wembley could have been released as a bonus DVD disk cause while the quality of Wembley is average it's still an iconic show.

The best quality Bad Tour concert would any filmed one:

We should ask for them. Any Bad Tour concert on Blu-Ray would be great. Go Flying said he heard that Liverpool concert was shot on film so that could be great choice for release. Some blue shirt parts in that MITM are from that concert. :)

I agree that any Bad Tour concert from 1988 or 1989 would be great on Blu Ray.

Question is did the estate always have access to the Bad tour shows that were shot on film but decided to release Wembley instead because Wembley is what the fans asked for? Or was Wembley the only show they were able to release at the time?

All original films are in Michael's archive. Moonwalker MITM is mainly made up of footage shot in Aintree & Minneapolis. with the audio from Minneapolis. if their are enough requests to the estate for a BAD Tour Blu-Ray (just one show) then they'll see their is interest within the fan community.

patrick Kelly turned over all the bad tour materials to MJ vaults at the end of the bad tour where they remain however they were not identified nor catalogued until last year.

Last edited:
Moonwalker MITM is mainly made up of footage shot in Aintree & Minneapolis.

Not all blue shirt parts are from Liverpool. There are clips from some stadium concert also:

http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r560/Galactus123/vlcsnap-2012-12-19-13h07m40s41_zps302c1d10.png
http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r560/Galactus123/vlcsnap-2012-09-27-20h44m02s134.png

I tried to spot different cameras used in Liverpool concert in my other post in other thread:

2 cameras front of the stage(can't be sure if both of these are from Liverpool):
Right side: http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r560/Galactus123/vlcsnap-2013-07-30-12h00m37s205_zps864f371d.png
Left side: http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r560/Galactus123/vlcsnap-2013-07-30-12h09m48s230_zpsa0ac66a3.png

One camera on the stage with Michael:
http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r560/Galactus123/vlcsnap-2013-07-30-12h10m42s41_zps0052f49e.png

One camera on the back of the stage:
http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r560/Galactus123/vlcsnap-2012-10-23-10h36m43s172_zpscddf92ab.png

Near the tower:
http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r560/Galactus123/vlcsnap-2012-09-28-18h46m11s132.png
http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r560/Galactus123/vlcsnap-2012-09-27-20h31m57s144.png

In the tower:
http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r560/Galactus123/vlcsnap-2013-07-30-12h20m43s177_zps1dd5532e.png

Helicopter camera:
http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r560/Galactus123/vlcsnap-2013-07-30-11h48m23s235_zps8e93af4a.png
http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r560/Galactus123/vlcsnap-2013-07-30-12h19m26s157_zpsb93f3326.png

2 cameras far back in the crowd:
Left side: http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r560/Galactus123/vlcsnap-2013-07-30-11h47m42s173_zps6a466fb6.png
Right side: http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r560/Galactus123/vlcsnap-2013-07-30-12h13m19s156_zps55b968de.png

Also there could be one camera on the side of the stage like in Another Part Of Me in Bad 25. To me it looks like that full concert film could be made. That is many cameras.

Last edited:
How many performances is that from? 3-4? Or more

At least from 3. Minneapolis, Liverpool and some other blue shirt concert. Of course there could be more but if the arena can't be seen it is hard to tell.

At least from 3. Minneapolis, Liverpool and some other blue shirt concert. Of course there could be more but if the arena can't be seen it is hard to tell.

So then, 3+ let's say. Would they really have shot only crowd for the shows for certain shots? Seems like a lot of film to go to waste imo, wouldn't it be more likely they shot entire concerts on film and used certain shots to add to the look of it, like the I'll Be There scene?

I think there were people whose sole job was to film crowd shots from various angles. Close up, sea of hands waving, etc.

Another thing in regards to BAD TOUR FILM. Keep in mind that just because moonwalker has several shots edited together does NOT mean those shows were recorded completely on film. APOM and Man in the mirror were only recorded for Moonwalker and APOM live Music Video. So the odds are that every show you see on moonwalker is not completely filmed.
As for completely filmed concerts it is VERY hard to keep track of what everyone has said on this forum recently.
Some say they clearly remember editing 2 complete wembley shows. Others state clearly that only one show was film which was NOT wembley. So again it is speculation. Even if true, who says it still in existence? It was clearly not released due to audio being sub-par.
As for Bad Tour L.A release, If Lady Diana attended L.A I'm sure the estate would have released it even without the multitrack audio.
BAD Tour Kansas,NY etc clips we see on YT are from BETA. Keep that in mind. *more speculation* lol

Another thing in regards to BAD TOUR FILM. Keep in mind that just because moonwalker has several shots edited together does NOT mean those shows were recorded completely on film. APOM and Man in the mirror were only recorded for Moonwalker and APOM live Music Video. So the odds are that every show you see on moonwalker is not completely filmed.
As for completely filmed concerts it is VERY hard to keep track of what everyone has said on this forum recently.
Some say they clearly remember editing 2 complete wembley shows. Others state clearly that only one show was film which was NOT wembley. So again it is speculation. Even if true, who says it still in existence? It was clearly not released due to audio being sub-par.
As for Bad Tour L.A release, If Lady Diana attended L.A I'm sure the estate would have released it even without the multitrack audio.
BAD Tour Kansas,NY etc clips we see on YT are from BETA. Keep that in mind. *more speculation* lol

But why would they bring in film cameras to only record two songs?

their is a clip of Michael performing BAD during the European Tour. 16th out of 18 Song's? whatever show that performance is taken from, I think it's possible that it's on film.

But why would they bring in film cameras to only record two songs?

Man in the Mirror, APOM were the ONLY two filmed for PROMOTION. Why only those 2 songs?
As I stated before, APOM was for the music video and Man in the mirror was for Moonwalker. There are exceptions though. Some (not ALL or many for that matter) were recorded entirely on film. That is why spike lee made the APOM edit. Only APOM exists on film for those shows. Michael planned on it being a compilation. So to be clear that just because you see a 5 second clip from lets say France does NOT mean the entire show was filmed ! It was ONLY for PROMOTION ! lol

*THERE.

And it could have also been setting of for a MITM shoot.

actually it's THEIR. google it. for example. their is a movie out. and the other context "I'm going there tonight"... I did my exams recently and I KNOW my literature. and it's film shot during the end part of the performance of BAD. they usually set up Camera's during the way you make me feel for Man in The Mirror. Everyone should ask for a Bad Tour Blu Ray. because if they don't, chance of ever seeing it would be reduced by half IMO. All BAD Tour Materials WERE "Catalogued & IDENTIFIED" last year. meaning all footage shot during the tour. Their have been many TV broadcasts of performances from the BAD Tour, meaning many different copies of copies were made from each performance that have been aired. The only director mentioned in the credits of the BAD Tour Around the World Documentary is "Patrick Kelley." it seems highly unlikely that this footage isn't the one David referred to in his statement regarding the archives of the identified content. I hope they don't just leave the films to rust and degrade "which will soon happen." and they'll showcase these gems in the footage they deserve to be seen. just look at this, tell me you wouldn't love this quality for Michael's shows from the BAD Tour Second Leg.

No, you're thinking of THEY'RE.
"Their is a clip..." is used incorrectly (which wouldn't be the first time). As is "Their is a movie out".
:)

Last edited:
Man in the Mirror, APOM were the ONLY two filmed for PROMOTION. Why only those 2 songs?
As I stated before, APOM was for the music video and Man in the mirror was for Moonwalker. There are exceptions though. Some (not ALL or many for that matter) were recorded entirely on film. That is why spike lee made the APOM edit. Only APOM exists on film for those shows. Michael planned on it being a compilation. So to be clear that just because you see a 5 second clip from lets say France does NOT mean the entire show was filmed ! It was ONLY for PROMOTION ! lol

Then why is the Red shirt concert on film for the first like 7 songs?

Whether it was mj's team or the documentary people from whatever channel that show aired, it was simply a 2 camera shoot (tower cam and bottom of stage).

It could have been filmed just for the TV thing or just to document the show for his personal collection or even more promo.

Whether it was mj's team or the documentary people from whatever channel that show aired, it was simply a 2 camera shoot (tower cam and bottom of stage).

It could have been filmed just for the TV thing or just to document the show for his personal collection or even more promo.

This is all a bit strange to me, doesn't really add up in certain parts but, wouldn't it take over 2 miles of film for a concert? Film doesn't hold that long of material I believe, so the canisters would have to be changed often, meaning there would be several canisters of each camera, so that's like 30+ canisters of film, and if the Estate has them all (if this even exists) would they really edit 30 canisters of film for something that could sell 50k copies again? Lot of labour for not much in return. This isn't some fantasy world where it would all be done for "L.O.V.E" and they would be very interested in making most money, with spending the least amount possible. So, in reality, a full 2 hour concert in Blu-Ray format of any tour, is VERY unlikely.

This is all a bit strange to me, doesn't really add up in certain parts but, wouldn't it take over 2 miles of film for a concert? Film doesn't hold that long of material I believe, so the canisters would have to be changed often, meaning there would be several canisters of each camera, so that's like 30+ canisters of film, and if the Estate has them all (if this even exists) would they really edit 30 canisters of film for something that could sell 50k copies again? Lot of labour for not much in return. This isn't some fantasy world where it would all be done for "L.O.V.E" and they would be very interested in making most money, with spending the least amount possible. So, in reality, a full 2 hour concert in Blu-Ray format of any tour, is VERY unlikely.

would make more money than that. it'd be a cinema release also. making another (estimate) $150million dollars. Digital Release ($500,000) at least. if advertised well, it would sell successfully! I truly believe that. another idea, similar to what elvis' estate did. they showed a concert of his on a JumboTron, I believe it was a world tour. That would be perfect for Michael, using the front of the stage angle. it would sell out, for sure. and again David Powell stated that ALL THE ORIGINAL BAD TOUR MATERIAL IS IN MICHAEL'S VAULTS. IDENTIFIED AND CATALOGUED LAST YEAR. Truthful Rant over :D

Seeing as how they didn't bother doing something as simple as creating surround sound tracks for the VISIONS set, why would they go even further by going through (alleged) miles and miles of film reels to somehow piece together a coherent concert film.

Much like the hot mess of VISIONS (both visually and audio-wise), it was much easier to grab some old tape and put it out there.

Seeing as how they didn't bother doing something as simple as creating surround sound tracks for the VISIONS set, why would they go even further by going through (alleged) miles and miles of film reels to somehow piece together a coherent concert film.

Much like the hot mess of VISIONS (both visually and audio-wise), it was much easier to grab some old tape and put it out there.

It was called Vision mate :p But yeah, cheap, easily available stuff is probably preferred. But it would be for anyone really. We know the short films for Bad exist on film because of the doc but they haven't used them properly yet, I don't think. A Blu with his "best" short films would sell well I imagine, it's some historic stuff now.

If you put something out half assed, don't be surprised when the public is less than inspired to go out and buy it.

If you put something out half assed, don't be surprised when the public is less than inspired to go out and buy it.

Of course. But, I think it was just the thing of getting out the short films, so it was out of the way early on. If you know what I mean.

Then why is the Red shirt concert on film for the first like 7 songs?
For a few reasons...
1. Some shows from the FIRST leg of the tour were recorded on film. It has been stated that Michaels crew started in tokyo with 1 betacam and eventually purchased a film camera.
2. The tokyo red shirt was also for promotion because it was for the Molly Meldrum BAD COMPANY interview. So either it was Michaels crew OR Molly Meldrums film crew who recorded on film for the sake of promotion.
The reason why they decided to not rely on film for the Second leg could be simply because that was when the crew went under different leadership (I believe thats when Patrick came in) Also the Second leg was much longer and Miles of film for every show would have been insane.

For a few reasons...
1. Some shows from the FIRST leg of the tour were recorded on film. It has been stated that Michaels crew started in tokyo with 1 betacam and eventually purchased a film camera.
2. The tokyo red shirt was also for promotion because it was for the Molly Meldrum BAD COMPANY interview. So either it was Michaels crew OR Molly Meldrums film crew who recorded on film for the sake of promotion.
The reason why they decided to not rely on film for the Second leg could be simply because that was when the crew went under different leadership (I believe thats when Patrick came in) Also the Second leg was much longer and Miles of film for every show would have been insane.

Still makes no sense to me how they'd go that far for a few seconds of crowd in a 5 minute piece but if that's what happened, then y'know what can we do

For a few reasons...

Tell me, how is it possible that Queen can release a Cinema and bluray release of a show which was entirely shot on film? The running time was equal or longer than the BAD TOUR.

If one wants to film a concert, the crew is prepared for every little detail, including cue points (to change a canister) and communication with the tower.

So don't worry guys, the tour is most likely complete on film.

Back