Let's Talk About Books (V.2)

Really?
Woooow, guess I'll read it after I'm finished with Stephen King's It! :)

Even when I read "The Shining", I was so scared!
How are you liking "It" so far? I had picked it up, but I don't recall whether I actually finished it.

My one complaint about Stephen King's style of writing is that sometimes he describes in great details things that don't seem really important. Just as a random example, maybe the history of a street and what 10 different names it was called in the last century (I exaggerate a little).

How are you liking "It" so far? I had picked it up, but I don't recall whether I actually finished it.

It is great until now but I read very less, lately...

My one complaint about Stephen King's style of writing is that sometimes he describes in great details things that don't seem really important. Just as a random example, maybe the history of a street and what 10 different names it was called in the last century (I exaggerate a little).

Ok, I agree and disagree!
You are definitely right but there is just one thing - it isn't always unimportant! Sometimes I really do think, "Ah, does he really have to explain all of this sooo in detail now" but sometimes exactly that is what I really like about him and what makes the book become so exciting.
Well, to me writing books is awesome anyway... I mean I really respect authors, I admire them so much! 'Cause to me writing books is soooooooo damn hard! I wouldn't ever think of things like he does, all these details and stuff, I would never think of somethin' like that...
Therefore you only have to say - respect! :D

Duma Key is it about an author who has an accident and then comes to a woman in her house?
I´ve read books by Stephen King but in Swedish and i´m not sure about the english title.I liked the green mile.

Have someone read something from Dean R Koontz?
I was given some books to sell to help homeless cats and I managed to sell these books.
I didn´t read them and afterwards I thought maybe I missed something there.

Duma Key is it about an author who has an accident and then comes to a woman in her house?
I´ve read books by Stephen King but in Swedish and i´m not sure about the english title.I liked the green mile.

Yes! Edgar Freemantle is the main character and he was workin' as a builder before and is gettin' into an accident on the construction site. After this he loses one arm and is movin' to a place called Duma Key, I think it was somehwere in Florida. There he's startin' to paint pictures but these pictures he's painting start to reveal some really crazy things for him in future...
Such an exciting book, I just loved it while reading!

Have someone read something from Dean R Koontz?
I was given some books to sell to help homeless cats and I managed to sell these books.
I didn´t read them and afterwards I thought maybe I missed something there.

The Stephen King book where an author has an accident and is taken in by a woman is "Misery", I believe. I haven't read it, but there was a "Family Guy" episode where they parodied three of King's novels (it was pretty funny!) and "Misery" was one of them.

I've read two or three books by Dean Koontz, including "Phantoms" (upon which the film with Ben Affleck was based). I don't remember enough about the books to comment on them, but I think they must've been all right.

Duma Key is about a guy who has an accident and goes a little nuts and he goes on a vacation and starts painting like crazy and goes more nuts :p It was actually really really good!
I agree he is overdescriptive sometimes but I love that because I imagine it all in my head like a movie, right down to the color of paint on the walls :)
Anyone read Under The Dome from him yet? It sounds really good.

Duma Key is about a guy who has an accident and goes a little nuts and he goes on a vacation and starts painting like crazy and goes more nuts :p It was actually really really good!
I agree he is overdescriptive sometimes but I love that because I imagine it all in my head like a movie, right down to the color of paint on the walls :)

Yes, exactly! I'm thinkin' exactly the same! Always while reading Duma Key I was imagining all the things happening in the book in my head! :)

By the way, I already described the book above writing this:

Yes! Edgar Freemantle is the main character and he was workin' as a builder before and is gettin' into an accident on the construction site. After this he loses one arm and is movin' to a place called Duma Key, I think it was somehwere in Florida. There he's startin' to paint pictures but these pictures he's painting start to reveal some really crazy things for him in future...
Such an exciting book, I just loved it while reading!

Awesome to find other Stephen King fans. Been reading his stuff for SO long.

What's your favorite short story by him or "Richard Bachmann"? Mine is The Long Walk. That story is SO twisted... but it's like you can't put it down....

I convinced my friend to read Cell and she's part way through it. She's never read any of his books before and she's addicted :p

I'm BIG Stephen King fan.I love all his works and my favourite one is IT - MASTERPIECE!

I agree with you some Stephen King books can be a bit boring to start. Ive read alot of his, my favourites are ''Misery'', The Green mile'' (One of my all time favourite books :D) and ''Th shinning''.
I try and read as much as i can. I love poetry. I read from ''Dancing the dream'' every night, its like my bible haha :D

Awesome to find other Stephen King fans. Been reading his stuff for SO long.

What's your favorite short story by him or "Richard Bachmann"? Mine is The Long Walk. That story is SO twisted... but it's like you can't put it down....

I convinced my friend to read Cell and she's part way through it. She's never read any of his books before and she's addicted :p

For me the Long Walk describes the society of today.They don´t shoot you if you aren´t good enough but if you don´t fit in you are garbage.You have to be best and it doesn´t matter what happens to others around you.

I haven´t read books by Stephen King for a long time,but I think I´ll begin to do it again.

Has anybody here read books written by Astrid Lindgren?
I don´t know if Pippi longstocking is most wellknown of her books outside Sweden.

Pippi Longstocking. :wub: I had all of the books. My dad used to read them to me at bedtime when I was little. And we used to rent the movies all the time. In third grade I was Pippi for Halloween (I have red hair too. :yes:) and when I was eleven I was in a community theatre production of the musical. I have a very special place in my heart for Pippi. :wub:

When I read the book, I thought a lot on Michael because I think he would like to read this book about love. :wub:

That happens to me aaaall the time. I always read books or see movies or experience things and think of him and how much he'd love it. :)

Re: Let's Talk About Books : Stephen King

What about IT?? Did anyone like it? I have never read it but I can tell you I sure as hell am not happy with the ending of the movie.... a spider!? :doh:

^ LOL yeah I know that spider is like gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :shout:

The book is phenomenal compared to the movie (and the movie wasn't bad... lot of big names in it... including my fav childhood actor JB :wub: ) It's a big read, so it will take you a while. But it has a lot more in it than they could have showed in the movie, for a lot of reasons :p I highly recommend it. The Stand was also really good... and really long too.

Mist... I agree! And yeah you should read a SK book again ;)

I put my name down at the library to get a copy of Under The Dome when it comes in, because I'm really curious about it....

Right now I'm reading that Taraborrelli book about MJ.... it's good so far but a few things he says are like.... :ph34r: So, I'm taking it with a grain of salt....
Anyone else read it?

Right now I'm reading that Taraborrelli book about MJ.... it's good so far but a few things he says are like.... :ph34r: So, I'm taking it with a grain of salt....
Anyone else read it?

I'm actually reading the Taraborrelli book right now too! I'm about 4/5 of the way through it. I learned a lot of stuff that I didn't know - like the fact that Michael's grandfather's name was Prince. I guess that's why he named his sons Prince.

I have the most recent edition, because it's the only one my library had. I'm aware that the first edition is the only one that is generally considered accurate, but I think that this one is still interesting. Do you know how much of the Chandler sections are accurate? Taraborrelli gives a lot of details about that situation, and I wonder how much is true. There's probably a thread on this already that I should search for.

Last edited:
I'm actually reading the Taraborrelli book right now too! I'm about 4/5 of the way through it. I learned a lot of stuff that I didn't know - like the fact that Michael's grandfather's name was Prince. I guess that's why he named his son's Prince.

I have the most recent edition, because it's the only one my library had. I'm aware that the first edition is the only one that is generally considered accurate, but I think that this one is still interesting. Do you know how must of the Chandler sections are accurate? Taraborrelli gives a lot of details about that situation, and I wonder how much is true. There's probably a thread on this already that I should search for.

Cool! Oh wow you are farther than I am. I'm on page 136. On the inside with the publisher dates it says this updated edition published 2004.... is there a later revision or is this the newest one you think?

Yes, I'd heard before about his grandfather being named Prince (love how the tabs purposely say after the singer Prince... :doh: ), I figured his son was named after his great granddad.... It's upsetting so many of the things that Michael went through so young that shaped not only his personality and things... that kid sure went through a lot very young and saw things way too early... :( I've heard about some of that stuff in the later part of the book... but not there yet :)

^ LOL yeah I know that spider is like gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :shout:

The book is phenomenal compared to the movie (and the movie wasn't bad... lot of big names in it... including my fav childhood actor JB :wub: ) It's a big read, so it will take you a while. But it has a lot more in it than they could have showed in the movie, for a lot of reasons :p I highly recommend it. The Stand was also really good... and really long too.

Mist... I agree! And yeah you should read a SK book again ;)

I put my name down at the library to get a copy of Under The Dome when it comes in, because I'm really curious about it....

Anyone else read it?

yes it was so sad to read / hear about jonathon brandis dying.

Currently waiting for my copy of Redemption to arrive in the post :bored2:

Cool! Oh wow you are farther than I am. I'm on page 136. On the inside with the publisher dates it says this updated edition published 2004.... is there a later revision or is this the newest one you think?

Yes, I'd heard before about his grandfather being named Prince (love how the tabs purposely say after the singer Prince... :doh: ), I figured his son was named after his great granddad.... It's upsetting so many of the things that Michael went through so young that shaped not only his personality and things... that kid sure went through a lot very young and saw things way too early... :( I've heard about some of that stuff in the later part of the book... but not there yet :)

I just finished that Taraborrelli book last night. The date on the edition that I have is July 2009. He added a little bit of information about events from 2005-2009 to this edition, but there's not much that you probably don't already know. A lot of the last chapter is just Taraborrelli's opinion of things that happened during those years.

Also, the author mentions that he interviewed Michael in Aug. 2004 regarding the Chandler allegations, and that he didn't publish most of that material until this edition (he thought it was too sensitive to be published previously). However, since he wasn't very specific, and I haven't read any of the previous editions, I don't know what was added.

haha me too at first, because Jermaine named his son Jermajesty. So I just thought...it's a Jackson thing to name their kids like that.
Of course, the real reason why Prince was named Prince is a much more sentimental and thoughtful reason than....Jermaine's Jermajesty (unless Jermajesty's doesn't come from Jeramine).

Anyway, I just finished reading Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. Rather tragic, but a happy, beautiful ending!
I'm planning to begin reading Macbeth for English class.

----------------
Now playing: The Jackson 5 - Money Honey
via FoxyTunes

I just finished that Taraborrelli book last night. The date on the edition that I have is July 2009. He added a little bit of information about events from 2005-2009 to this edition, but there's not much that you probably don't already know. A lot of the last chapter is just Taraborrelli's opinion of things that happened during those years.

Also, the author mentions that he interviewed Michael in Aug. 2004 regarding the Chandler allegations, and that he didn't publish most of that material until this edition (he thought it was too sensitive to be published previously). However, since he wasn't very specific, and I haven't read any of the previous editions, I don't know what was added.

Oh wow yeah your's is definately later than mine. I'm finding I think quite a bit of the book, I feel anyhow, is probably at least moderately accurate. By far my biggest complaint so far, is about him 'bleaching' his skin. I wonder if after seeing MJ's autopsy report if he'll change his mind some on that one.... It really irritates me reading his opinions on it :mello:

But there is a LOT in there I can actually see MJ doing or being like. Some stories are really depressing like some of the stuff he dealt with so young that shaped how he felt about himself and things that contributed to him closing himself up emotionally to others, etc. Some of the stories are really FUNNY though too. I was chuckling for hours after reading that bit about him and his buddy going in the adult shop and him running into the "wrong" section and speeding out of there :lmao:

I'm almost halfway through the 400's now.... getting there... it's a long read, but mostly enjoyable. Thanks for the update about the newer version :)

I'm reading "Dear John" except I did it backwards, I saw the movie and now I'm reading the book. lol Oh well I hope the book lives up to movie.:)

I read the Taraborelli book last August...I think it was a good read, although I took part of it with a pinch of salt :)

My all time favourite book is Orlando by Virginia Woolf... has anyone read it? I think it's amazing - it's a story about a person who lives hundreds of years and goes though many lifes, as a woman and as a man.

I will indicate a book:

416PE42VXWL._SS500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Bossa-Nova-St..._3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268169213&sr=1-3#noop

This book is perfect for exploring some of the history of Brazilian music. Ruy Castro is a great brazilian writing.

Back