Maya Angelou dies

Bonnie Blue

Proud Member
Maya angelou, the poet, author and civil activist has died, aged 86.
She wrote the beautiful poem read out by queen lafitah at mj's memorial 5 yrs ago.

We had him

Beloveds, now we know that we know nothing,

now that our bright and shining star can slip away from our fingertips

like a puff of summer wind.

Without notice, our dear love can escape our doting embrace.

Sing our songs among the stars and walk our dances across the face of the moon.

In the instant that Michael is gone, we know nothing. No clocks can tell time.

No oceans can rush our tides with the abrupt absence of our treasure.

Though we are many, each of us is achingly alone, piercingly alone.

Only when we confess our confusion can we remember

that he was a gift to us and we did have him.

He came to us from the creator, trailing creativity in abundance.

Despite the anguish, his life was sheathed in mother love, family love,

and survived and did more than that.

He thrived with passion and compassion, humor and style.

We had him whether we know who he was or did not know,

he was ours and we were his.

We had him, beautiful, delighting our eyes.

His hat, aslant over his brow, and took a pose on his toes for all of us.

And we laughed and stomped our feet for him.

We were enchanted with his passion because he held nothing.

He gave us all he had been given.

Today in Tokyo, beneath the Eiffel Tower, in Ghana's Black Star Square.

In Johannesburg and Pittsburgh, in Birmingham, Alabama, and Birmingham, England

We are missing Michael.

But we do know we had him, and we are the world.

maya-angelou.jpg

Joe Vogel @JoeVogel1 · 2 h.

I'll never forget Maya Angelou's beautiful poem for Michael Jackson at his funeral. She understood what a 1000 cynical critics did not.

Paris78;4014379 said:
Joe Vogel @JoeVogel1 · 2 h.

I'll never forget Maya Angelou's beautiful poem for Michael Jackson at his funeral. She understood what a 1000 cynical critics did not.

Yes, yes, YES. :heart:

Maya Angelou, author of "I know why the caged bird sings" is a national treasure and much, much more. Go in peace!

Last edited:
She spoke at the local University, back in the fall of 2011. I was able to get a ticket and go see her, just because she had been so nice to Michael Jackson, plus she is a really good speaker. Quite an inspiration and may she rest in peace!

Too bad so sad, but this is not Michael Jackson directly related news.

I beg to differ. She became part of Michael's legacy when she gave us that beautiful poem and summed up how so many of us felt. Sad to hear of her death but happy to see it in the news feed.

https://www.facebook.com/michaeljackson

MJ Estate remembers Maya Angelou.
Maya Angelou was a hero to the millions of people whose lives she enriched with her extraordinary wisdom, powerful words, eternal message of hope as well as her commitment to teaching others and sharing her gifts. Upon Michael’s passing, Dr. Angelou wrote “We Had Him,” a poetic tribute to Michael in which she poignantly captured the world’s aching feeling of loss with its joy at having known Michael.
“He thrived with passion and compassion, humor and style.
We had him whether we know who he was or did not know, he was ours and we were his.
We had him, beautiful, delighting our eyes.
His hat, aslant over his brow, and took a pose on his toes for all of us.
And we laughed and stomped our feet for him.
We were enchanted with his passion because he held nothing. He gave us all he had been given.”
As we mourn the loss of Dr. Angelou, we honor her for having given us all she had been given.

My respect for the lady soared to new heights as I sat there on that night of July 7, 2009...infront of my T V set, stunned with the inner and outer silence that my Angel's passing on had suddenly and unexpectedly thrown me into...a pillar of grief, agony, sadness, anguish and loss..hearing that beautiful, powerful and truthful poem......

God bless you for penning down Michael's Light and His Life so eloquently, Ms.Angelou...and also for gracing this earth with your presence.....may your beautiful soul rest in peace...and please do give our Hero a long, big, loving hug for all of us when you meet Him there...the earth is a sadder place without you two..

UGGHHHH.
Those evil Westboro Baptist Church nutjobs are going to picket her funeral.

----

As the world mourns the death of Maya Angelou, the infamous Westboro Baptist Church is responding to the tragic news with plans to picket the funeral of the literary legend.

In a series of tweets published to their social media page Wednesday, the controversial church attempted to sully Angelou’s legacy by publishing hateful messages.

“No RIP Maya Angelou. She was a staunch devil child who esteemed the love of the world more than the honor of God,” one tweet read.

The extremist, anti-gay church blasted Angelou by calling her a “Gay rights champ,” “God defier,” Sin enabler” and “Fresh inhabitant of Hell” — and in doing so, mentioned that they plan to picket her funeral.

In another tweet, a picture of Angelou was posted plastered with revolting messages that read: “Honor God! Not the dead” and “F*g enabler in Hell.”

This isn’t the first time the church has participated in such radical behavior. Members previously picketed Whitney Houston’s funeral in 2012, saying the singer should have used her voice to spread the word of God.

AtlasAir;4015296 said:
UGGHHHH.

----

As the world mourns the death of Maya Angelou, the infamous Westboro Baptist Church is responding to the tragic news with plans to picket the funeral of the literary legend.

In a series of tweets published to their social media page Wednesday, the controversial church attempted to sully Angelou’s legacy by publishing hateful messages.

“No RIP Maya Angelou. She was a staunch devil child who esteemed the love of the world more than the honor of God,” one tweet read.

The extremist, anti-gay church blasted Angelou by calling her a “Gay rights champ,” “God defier,” Sin enabler” and “Fresh inhabitant of Hell” — and in doing so, mentioned that they plan to picket her funeral.

In another tweet, a picture of Angelou was posted plastered with revolting messages that read: “Honor God! Not the dead” and “F*g enabler in Hell.”

This isn’t the first time the church has participated in such radical behavior. Members previously picketed Whitney Houston’s funeral in 2012, saying the singer should have used her voice to spread the word of God.

I remember when their leader died they begged the public not to picket his funeral. What a bunch of evil hypocrites.

AtlasAir;4015296 said:
UGGHHHH.

----

Those people are hypocrites with serious issues. They're part of what's wrong with the world today. They have some nerve calling people devil children and sh*t like that. Geez, no wonder they're hated so damn much. -_- I remember seeing them trying to picket Paul Walker's funeral, and I got so upset because of the crap they were shouting, like seriously? Someone dies and you people have no respect for them? The people they go after do absolutely NOTHING to them, and nothing wrong, and they can go after them like that. But everytime someone brings up the fact that some of them had their own children out of wed lock they get quiet. Ugh, hypocritical dumbasses. I wonder how they'll feel when someone in their church dies and we picket that funeral. They're so evil...I freaking hate them with a passion.

People like Dr. Maya Angelou or Michael really did it! May she rest in peace, I'll always be thankful for her beautiful and heartfelt poem to Michael! :cry:

911959_453299611424974_625592793_n.jpg

This poem also fits Michael as his white diamond glove! ;)

1057061_477585235663078_2095097618_n.jpg

In regards to Westboro, it's best to just ignore them.
Not stoop to their level (as hard as it is).
For the most part, when the leader died recently, there was big deal because he shouldn't get any more press than he's already had, along with the rest of his followers.

But they are so hateful and crazy. More evil than anything they protest. A few of the family members have left the church recently after they realized the nonsense they were raised to believe.

I was saddened to hear about Ms. Angelou's passing.
She had a long and meaningful life which I hope will continue to inspire us all.
Here is a quote by her that really touched me.

I've learned that people will forget what you said,
people will forget what you did,
but people will never forget
how you made them feel."
-Maya Angelou

Thank you for this and so much more Maya Angelou

RIP. This talent that some have to just sit and let a rush of words come out that speak to people, tell a story, tug at the heart, and affect all our emotions is a very beautiful thing indeed. That poem she wrote for Michael has so much wisdom, love, and emotion in it that reading it brings tears to the eyes. I hope she meets up Michel's spirit and embrace and that she rests in peace. She will forever remain a significant part of American history.

''Dr. Maya Angelou was truly inspirational. Her life, rich with experience - bad and good. Her voice touched our hearts, and helped us to better understand ourselves. I will miss her.'' - Janet Jackson

Lovely quote form Janet. Will she be going to the funeral?

She will be miss another angel call home by God.

Thank you for put the poem here she did for Michael We Had Him.:(

Back