Michael Jackson and Judy Garland, 40 years later, nothing's changed

iluv2drem

Proud Member
I just realized Micheal died almost forty years to the date of Judy Garland. There are so many parallels in their lives, robbed childhoods, phenomenal talents, decades in show business, desperate longing for love and acceptance, a stage parent who exploited them, (Judy Garlands mother was worse in my opinion) but most of all, an exploitive Hollywood system that used Dr. Feelgoods and failed to take care of them. We think we're better now but nothing's changed, it's just different. In Judy Garlands time they were prescribing amphetamines, today they have doctors legally allowed to take out drugs from a hospital because they're being paid. In between there have been countless others who've died in Hollywood from legal crap (Dorothy Dandridge, Elvis, Heath Ledger etc) and they're so quick to blame the celebrity and dismiss them as a drug addict. This is a corrupt system that needs to be dealt with. How many more talents are we going to lose to this?

i agree. its pretty scary that Michael died 40 years near the date of Judy Garland. even scarier is Michael was good friends with Judy's daugther Liza. Loosing Michael is prob. the biggest tragety to date and its sad that so many before Michael have died and that he died the same day as Farrah Fawset who we all expected to go at anytime bc she was battling cancer for years but Michael was a total shock. Whats going on today with Doctors and drugs is insane. it seems they do it for people who have money like michael in order to get rich quick. its sick and it needs to stop. also the media continuing to label stars who die too from drug use as addicts is uncalled for bc they dont know that for sure at all. Heath Ledger was on many medications for insomina and phemona which he sufferd during the fliming of his last two flims including the Dark Knight which it was said that hs role and the joker was what caused all his problems bc he literally had to become a mad man to relate and become the charcter. What happened with Michael was uncalled for and those who are responsible will pay for the crimes bc the world has lost a true icon.

So sad.:(

Judy's daughter Lorna Luft recently had a blog at CNN that says the same things you guys are saying.

Judy died on June 22, 1969.
MJ died on June 25, 2009.

So it was three days after Judy's death 40 years ago. Ironically I think she was also planning a tour of London when she died or at least had settled there when she married her fifth husband, who was also a Brit.

MJ's death also mirrors that of Sammy Davis, Jr. People took advantage of him near his final years before he finally died of lung cancer.

Ironically also, Judy's career began when SHE was about three or four years old. And she was only 47 when she died (though she looked much older due to her prescription abuse and alcoholism).

^^^Jodie Foster & Brooke Shields started even younger than that. They did baby modeling.

It is hard for me to believe that Mike is one of those celebritys that had died because of drugs like Elvis, Marilyn Monroe... :cry: so sad

It is hard for me to believe that Mike is one of those celebritys that had died because of drugs like Elvis, Marilyn Monroe... :cry: so sad
Marilyn's death was covered up. So it isn't really known how she died.

in a perfect world the doctor feelgoods would be held accountable but im not hopeful as they have been doing these kinds of things ever since hollywood has been around

I've noticed this too. I was on a few other websites that pointed this out between Michael and Judy.

Love Judy. Such a beautiful woman.

it sad how alot of child stars just took a bad road and even though some were able to clean up their act like Drew Barrymore who was doing coke at the age of 9 and was in rehab at like 13. its sad that some just were not able to get help and now we are all going through a huge loss with Michael. None of us seem to know what happened and how Michael really died but we do know that someone is responsible and it was not michael.

Dr. Feelgoods... something was happening with Britney Spears like this, and her dad stepped in drastically. I hope she doesn't end up the same. I read in a magazine Michael called her sometime before his death - like a couple months/weeks before.. advising her not to work so hard and just enjoy her children. I don't know if thats true though.

if anyone is unfamilar with Judy Garland all you gotta say is Wizard of Oz and Dorothy. One of my most favorite movies ever! watch it every time its on. somewhere over the rainbow is just beautiful.

I love wizard of oz, but shes soooo much more than just 'wizard of oz'.... Watch the clip of 'the man that got away' THAT shows her amazing talent. And i too have noticed the parrallels between both lives, since i am a big fan of both, its hard for me to not notice.

But on a lighter note, i recommend anyone who is unfamilar to find out more about judy, she was an incrediable performer, i encourage you to watch some of her on youtube, AND NOT JUST DOROTHY Lol!!!

I loveeee judy garland, her and michael im completly obsessed with.

Here are some awesome judy clips:

This is the MOST emotion i have ever seen anybody put into a song... ever. And it breaks my heart everytime i see it, i cry everytime.
Over the Rainbow.... 1955 on a tv show
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hl20aUjZWc

Judy singing in this song is so honest and real, the last note is incredible, and describes maybe what her annnddd Michael probaly felt like:
'I GET WEARY, AND SICK OF TRYING, IM TIRED OF LIVING, BUT SCARED OF DYING''
If you dont wanna watch the whole vid skip to 2:00, SOOO full of emotion, shes incrediable.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv_Ryrj6x4g

Michael favourite song, and she sings it beautifully.
Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grbK9oyCoLk

This is an uplifting one, just for her power and greatness, again if you dont watch whole thing, skip to near the end Wow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSr47vIUz94

Last edited:
I love wizard of oz, but shes soooo much more than just 'wizard of oz'.... Watch the clip of 'the man that got away' THAT shows her amazing talent. And i too have noticed the parrallels between both lives, since i am a big fan of both, its hard for me to not notice.

But on a lighter note, i recommend anyone who is unfamilar to find out more about judy, she was an incrediable performer, i encourage you to watch some of her on youtube, AND NOT JUST DOROTHY Lol!!!

I loveeee judy garland, her and michael im completly obsessed with.

Here are some awesome judy clips:

This is the MOST emotion i have ever seen anybody put into a song... ever. And it breaks my heart everytime i see it, i cry everytime.
Over the Rainbow.... 1955 on a tv show
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hl20aUjZWc

Judy singing in this song is so honest and real, the last note is incredible, and describes maybe what her annnddd Michael probaly felt like:
'I GET WEARY, AND SICK OF TRYING, IM TIRED OF LIVING, BUT SCARED OF DYING''
If you dont wanna watch the whole vid skip to 2:00, SOOO full of emotion, shes incrediable.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv_Ryrj6x4g

Michael favourite song, and she sings it beautifully.
Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grbK9oyCoLk

This is an uplifting one, just for her power and greatness, again if you dont watch whole thing, skip to near the end Wow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSr47vIUz94

I agree, Judy is absolutely brill. And while we're on the topic - I posted this a while ago, but it got buried. =P LoL. Here's one more phenomenally talented child-turned-adult star who passed away due to the pressures of early fame and money hungry people, especially doctors.
http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2201410#post2201410

omg cherrubim...that bginning is the exact same wa mike starts dangerous! no question that is where he got inspiration for it from ..wow..on the one side itshows how knoweladable mj was and how he used another performance from another artist an adapted it..and you get to see it's original concept..but on the other side it is a bit dissapointing it ws original for mj and he hd to us someone elses concept...i know he does that abit,but tis is basically a carbon copy but only adding in gun shots and making it more dramatic..

I like seeing wherer the original inspiraion comes from but if also gives you a feeling of being deflated when you know where it REALLY came from and the fact tht most people think it is originally mj unless you see the clip of judy...

Even tat beginning music i used in mtv performance of dangerous, so i gess that was just for this performance..but tht idea of all these people surrounding mj and then dropping was essentialy got from juds performance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yipst6Kba_Q

Do you guys think that Michael got inspried to do the smooth criminal lean, by the tinman in the wizard? He must have loved that movie..

sorry if that sounds foolish

Last edited:
For those unfamiliar with Judy Garland.
Let's let her sing.
Click on:
"The Man That Got Away"
Click On:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Quy5...8F03123DF&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=9

JUDY GARLAND "GET HAPPY" (SUMMER STOCK, 1950)

Does this one seem familiar to you think: "Dangerous"
Click On:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U-rBZREQMw&feature=related

ARGH!!!!!! that's great.. with that he did a tribute to Judy Garland.. and made it a lot cooler.. OMG.. what a find!!!!!

well what about chaplin? how they ousted him, banished him from the states...only to adore him in the end. he was so weak he couldn't even walk. he wateched the montage of himself at the oscars and died shortly after....

at least he got to see that he was appreciated...did it matter? absolutely not

hmm lightly disagree sosodeaf..Forone he died 5 years after he got the academy award so wasn't like it was weeks later...And I think he did apprecite that night because he was amongst his people, his peers..He didn't relate america to that room and if you look at his face, there was pure emotion on that night..And if you listen to his speech, I think he was talking about american actors, muscians..Those people were the reason he came to accet the award even though they did not /possibly could not do anything to save he having to leave the us, they were creative like charlie chaplin...I think that night mattered to him a great deal and all you have to do is look at his face before he speaks and even what he says...

Yea after i was more conscious of things, and saw mj do the lean..I put the two together..We can't say if that was the first time that lean manovere was used but it surely was the first time, a large group of the world noticd this trick..Because the wizard of oz was a huge film and so it was a wonderful stage for the world to see this invention...It is the same with te moonwalk..Small groups of people knew about it, but once it was put on a big stage..It became a worldwide image..Just like the lean, which was first seen in wizard of oz..and I am sure by mj..He loved magical fantasy films and that was the first great one,..So there is a good chance he took the lean from there

But in the sense of too little too late, it did not matter...No matter if it meant alot of the person or other people...Late awards or late recogntion is a travesty especially when there was no need for it..It has happened to alot of people and sometimes it was too late and they died before being recognised..Bruce lee comes to mind for some reason..But there were many more..

.It is like giving bruce forsyth a knighthood now..Would be pointless, even though he would like it..It has no meaning now because it should have happened a long time ago...fyi, Bruce forsyth is prob englands last great all round entertainers from that old school era who is still going...He did alot of shows with sammy davis etc..But he is mainly known for being the king of the gameshows and that is undeniable..In that sense he is up there with any great game show presenter anywhere in the world..Without doubt , that was his true talent...He does no wrong with being a gameshow host...Even still at 81...I am not sure of another gameshow host who is still at his peak in his 80s lol

if anyone is unfamilar with Judy Garland all you gotta say is Wizard of Oz and Dorothy. One of my most favorite movies ever! watch it every time its on. somewhere over the rainbow is just beautiful.
And Meet Me in St Louis, one of the movies everyone in my family owns on DVD ;)

Judy died on June 22, 1969.
MJ died on June 25, 2009.
So it was three days after Judy's death 40 years ago. Ironically I think she was also planning a tour of London when she died or at least had settled there when she married her fifth husband, who was also a Brit.
Yeah, Judy Garland died in London.

I know what you mean. If you'd have told me 25 years ago that this is what would eventually happen, I'd have never believed it. No way. Not possible. I doubt Michael would have believed it back then either. I wish with every bit of my heart and soul that none of us would have ever had to believe it :no: :cry:

Ironically also, Judy's career began when SHE was about three or four years old. And she was only 47 when she died (though she looked much older due to her prescription abuse and alcoholism).

Yep, "Baby Gumm" was two when she made her first appearance with "The Gumm Sisters". Insane.

But in the sense of too little too late, it did not matter...No matter if it meant alot of the person or other people...Late awards or late recogntion is a travesty especially when there was no need for it..It has happened to alot of people and sometimes it was too late and they died before being recognised..Bruce lee comes to mind for some reason..But there were many more..

.It is like giving bruce forsyth a knighthood now..Would be pointless, even though he would like it..It has no meaning now because it should have happened a long time ago...fyi, Bruce forsyth is prob englands last great all round entertainers from that old school era who is still going...He did alot of shows with sammy davis etc..But he is mainly known for being the king of the gameshows and that is undeniable..In that sense he is up there with any great game show presenter anywhere in the world..Without doubt , that was his true talent...He does no wrong with being a gameshow host...Even still at 81...I am not sure of another gameshow host who is still at his peak in his 80s lol

Hey, weird. I was watching a video of him *right* before I read this. I was looking at a clip of Lena Zavaroni imitating Judy Garland on his show. Weird. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtmetagLtN0

Back