Michael Jackson estate, Sony Music Entertainment strike record distribution deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was never Sony's job to refute the false claims made against Mike. Also, Mike didn't release much material after Vince and didn't contribute to the promotion of the DVDs/albums that were released.

You have to realise that Sony COULDN'T offer him this kind of deal when he was alive. Michael Jackson would never have released enough material or promoted enough projects, or even toured enough to make it viable for Sony to pay him up to $250million. He had been out of the business for too long and it was not clear what the level of appeal would be if he did release something.

His death as relaunched his career and given added commercial value to his name, image and music.

i totally disagree with you.

you are assuming that MJ fans didn't like MJ music anymore. you are assuming that MJ didn't have appeal. i've seen enough for you to be wrong.

this selfish version of sony takes away from the music. there is no joy in taking candy from a baby and eating in front of the baby. sony can't go around saying that MJ's music has this power, and then not prove it, while he's alive, and then suddenly change their mind when he's dead.

there is no hope for mankind in getting enjoyment out of selfishness. the industry is dying as we speak, because of this macabre menatlity. this blood money attitude.

you have no idea what Michael would have done. you have no idea, if sony asked Michael for backlogue of earlier material, instead of new material, if he would have said yes. either way, it's MJ material, and it would have been good.

and MJ would NOT have to tour.

thinking that death is the only way is totally and completely selfish, and detrimental to the soul of music. having no faith, where songwriters are concerned, sucks the blood out of the soul of music, and takes away the enjoyment. why build an industry off of songwriters, and then take it away from them, and have no confidence in their abilities? if you're going to build on the song, but not operate on the song, you will lose the industry, altogether. it is about the song. it can NOT be about the money, and expect to survive. there is no hope for survival based on greed, selfishness, and 'enjoyment' at the sacrifice of your fellow human being. underestimating Michael, is taking away from the joy of the whole thing.

the death industry will die.

again, it's worth repeating. you can't survive on selfishness.

if sony feels they could make money off of him now, they could have made it, before he died. he didn't have to tour. people go on the net all the time, looking for his concert footage....sony could have released the dvd's whether or not MJ toured. he could raise his kids, and sony could release the dvd's. there are enough unselfish fans who have said things would have been fine for MJ to raise his kids. there are too many fans for you to do all this underestimating of Michael Jackson. he is not other artists. he did not need to do nearly as much. his status was monumental. besides...he had other ideas. other projects. he might have appeared on tv, or something. there's more than one way to skin a cat. where there's a will, there's a way. sony just didn't want to do it, that's all.

selfishness only destroys. there's no joy in it.

we're getting the music now, but something is missing. how is there hope in that? it's not like it used to be. sony didn't have faith in the present, while Michael was alive.. how am i supposed to have faith in the future, with things operating this way?

there is no life in the death industry. eventually, all will fade out, if we keep thinking this is the only way. all they've been talking about is a decline in the industry. that's because you can't hurt people and get away with it.

and what? we're not going to have faith in putting MJ music on the radio while he's alive, because we're afraid of what the appeal might be? yet, we're not afraid to put T.I.'s music on the radio while he's going to jail, and we're not afraid of backlash of the appeal there? surely, T.I. wasn't about to tour.

if people want to keep making excuses for selfishness, everything and everybody will die, because of it. there is no life in selfishness. and sony was and is selfish. and they should have been human, and gone out of their way to defend Michael. Michael represented THEM. and he did NOTHING wrong. you can't survive if money is the only issue. humanity has to be the issue in order for humanity to survive.

and if humanity doesn't survive, then, lol, there's no way to be around to enjoy the big money, is there?

and i'm not being overdramatic, here. the sentence speaks for itself. there is no life in a death mentality.

Last edited:
i totally disagree with you.

you are assuming that MJ fans didn't like MJ music anymore. you are assuming that MJ didn't have appeal. i've seen enough for you to be wrong.

this selfish version of sony takes away from the music. there is no joy in taking candy from a baby and eating in front of the baby. sony can't go around saying that MJ's music has this power, and then not prove it, while he's alive, and then suddenly change their mind when he's dead.

there is no hope for mankind in getting enjoyment out of selfishness. the industry is dying as we speak, because of this macabre menatlity. this blood money attitude.

you have no idea what Michael would have done. you have no idea, if sony asked Michael for backlogue of earlier material, instead of new material, if he would have said yes. either way, it's MJ material, and it would have been good.

and MJ would NOT have to tour.

thinking that death is the only way is totally and completely selfish, and detrimental to the soul of music. having no faith, where songwriters are concerned, sucks the blood out of the soul of music, and takes away the enjoyment. why build an industry off of songwriters, and then take it away from them, and have no confidence in their abilities? if you're going to build on the song, but not operate on the song, you will lose the industry, altogether. it is about the song. it can NOT be about the money, and expect to survive. there is no hope for survival based on greed, selfishness, and 'enjoyment' at the sacrifice of your fellow human being. underestimating Michael, is taking away from the joy of the whole thing.

the death industry will die.

again, it's worth repeating. you can't survive on selfishness.

I understand what you said about Sony not releasing new material/why now/for money, etc. Again, what alternatives would you suggest? Not release anything anymore, or if it released, how and by whom if not Sony or another like entity? Just forget about it all out of "respect" for the way Michael was treated by some in the past? Really, I'm just looking for other thought processes/ideas, not trying to downplay the way things have gone down in the past.

I understand what you said about Sony not releasing new material/why now/for money, etc. Again, what alternatives would you suggest? Not release anything anymore, or if it released, how and by whom if not Sony or another like entity? Just forget about it all out of "respect" for the way Michael was treated by some in the past? Really, I'm just looking for other thought processes/ideas, not trying to downplay the way things have gone down in the past.

put out the dvd's that fans have been suggesting. show a steady faith in Michael, and what he was able to do, and sony could have won him back. add more and more tracks from his vault. whatever they're doing now, they could have done, before June 25, and stop worrying about 'fear of appeal'. i think the fans spoke, long ago, that they'd take anything new that was put out...even if it wasn't made in the last decade. if they haven't heard it before, that makes it new.

the damage is done. there is no solution now. there are going to be people feeling this way. sony is releasing what they are releasing. and there will be those who will get joy out of it, and those who will have greatly bittersweet feelings out of it.

but what has sony gained? something short term?

there's risk in everything, including what they're doing now. so sony should have forgotten about that risk, before June 25.

it's just a good thing that Michael put aside something for his kids that has nothing to do with all this. despite the fact that there are people that believe the media's copy and paste shit about 'debt', and so on, though it doesn't make sense, and though there are always going to be people who underestimate MJ, and overestimate the media, the only satisfaction out of all this, is that MJ's kids have been taken care of, by MJ, alone.

put out the dvd's that fans have been suggesting. show a steady faith in Michael, and what he was able to do, and sony could have won him back. add more and more tracks from his vault. whatever they're doing now, they could have done, before June 25, and stop worrying about 'fear of appeal'. i think the fans spoke, long ago, that they'd take anything new that was put out...even if it wasn't made in the last decade. if they haven't heard it before, that makes it new

I dont mean this in a funny way but sometimes its best to leave things, the reason why people are constantly quoting you is because most of them know what they are talking about, the above quote clearly shows that you have no idea what you are talking about and are only here just to constantly bash Sony over and over again in any thread in which there name is mentioned, this is neither constructive and is only spreading the wrong message here

I dont mean this in a funny way but sometimes its best to leave things, the reason why people are constantly quoting you is because most of them know what they are talking about, the above quote clearly shows that you have no idea what you are talking about and are only here just to constantly bash Sony over and over again in any thread in which there name is mentioned, this is neither constructive and is only spreading the wrong message here

that's just a general message you gave with nothing to back it up. usually, when you personally attack someone, you have made no point, whatsoever.

Michael did well, despite the rest of the industry. his kids are well off despite the media lies about him, financially, while others around him filed for bankruptcy.

it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that.
i'm not the only one being quoted, and there are people who agree with me. you choose to look at what you choose to look at. but you've lost an argument, when you get personal. you haven't even followed the rules, before coming here. why should i be bothered with what you say about me, therefore?

people, please stop it.

The real point here is that unheard material will be released, i mean, thats the thing, Michael was pretty much a rebel, you can see he was not helping himself or Sony and it was on purpose, i totally understand him, i would have done the same.

But Now the important thing is LEGACY.

people, please stop it.

The real point here is that unheard material will be released, i mean, thats the thing, Michael was pretty much a rebel, you can see he was not helping himself or Sony and it was on purpose, i totally understand him, i would have done the same.

But Now the important thing is LEGACY.

no one can destroy his legacy. not even his own family is worried about that. his legacy is secure. he took care of that, all by himself. he was an unselfish human being. therefore, he sealed his wonderful legacy. and no selfish music label can destroy that.

no one can destroy his legacy. not even his own family is worried about that. his legacy is secure. he took care of that, all by himself. he was an unselfish human being. therefore, he sealed his wonderful legacy. and no selfish person can destroy that.
Of course noone can destroy his legacy, i never said that, but we can have more

lets really hope this works out + i hope the bring during those albums , new concerts :) and not the existing ones we already know

that's just a general message you gave with nothing to back it up. usually, when you personally attack someone, you have made no point, whatsoever.

Michael did well, despite the rest of the industry. his kids are well off despite the media lies about him, financially, while others around him filed for bankruptcy.

it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that.
i'm not the only one being quoted, and there are people who agree with me. you choose to look at what you choose to look at. but you've lost an argument, when you get personal. you haven't even followed the rules, before coming here. why should i be bothered with what you say about me, therefore?

There is no personal attack here, its not my style but people need to know the truth and you seem to be making stuff up as you go, you might feel that people are attacking you but its because what you say is just the same thing over and over again and a majority is false. Let me ellaborate on my original comment somewhat and you might see where the problem is here.

you said about sony "put out the dvd's that fans have been suggesting. show a steady faith in Michael, and what he was able to do, and sony could have won him back."

The truth, Michael owns the masters for his video content mainly including the tour, so your above comment is completely false and shows lack of knowledge in the situation, so you are really turning an issue you had with DVDs not being release (Michaels fault?) into an argument against sony lol

You said "add more and more tracks from his vault. whatever they're doing now, they could have done, before June 25, and stop worrying about 'fear of appeal'"

The Truth, again Michael owned and had the FINAL say on what went, Sony wanted Thriller demos on Thriller 25, Michael didn't want to release from the vaults, so infact are you doing the same as above and taking your frustration at the fact we dont have more material out on Sony? The people who are doing it now?

Now can you see people are not attacking you, but the false comments you are promoting, this isn't me getting a kick and I find it quite annoying how you say I attack you, it is my job as a fan who knows about these situations to enlighten others with the truth.

There is no personal attack here, its not my style but people need to know the truth and you seem to be making stuff up as you go, you might feel that people are attacking you but its because what you say is just the same thing over and over again and a majority is false. Let me ellaborate on my original comment somewhat and you might see where the problem is here.

you said about sony "put out the dvd's that fans have been suggesting. show a steady faith in Michael, and what he was able to do, and sony could have won him back."

The truth, Michael owns the masters for his video content mainly including the tour, so your above comment is completely false and shows lack of knowledge in the situation, so you are really turning an issue you had with DVDs not being release (Michaels fault?) into an argument against sony lol

You said "add more and more tracks from his vault. whatever they're doing now, they could have done, before June 25, and stop worrying about 'fear of appeal'"

The Truth, again Michael owned and had the FINAL say on what went, Sony wanted Thriller demos on Thriller 25, Michael didn't want to release from the vaults, so infact are you doing the same as above and taking your frustration at the fact we dont have more material out on Sony? The people who are doing it now?

Now can you see people are not attacking you, but the false comments you are promoting, this isn't me getting a kick and I find it quite annoying how you say I attack you, it is my job as a fan who knows about these situations to enlighten others with the truth.

you're not enlghtening. you're belttleing and attacking.

and you're wrong. you're giving false info. because there WERE demos on t25. and there WERE demos on the box set. and there WERE unreleased material on the box set, and t25. so, if they had faith, who knows what negotiations would have given us.

and when you burn someone, how do you expect them not to react?

and what is this mentality..hate the artist and not cooperate with him?

he had a right to have the final say, and if sony showed respect it would have gone a long way, as it would with anyone.

Er.... so... :unsure:

What are the chances of them releasing Michael's tours in DVD?

What about his earlier tours?

Do ya'll think they might release Triumph or Destiny and Victory tours?

I hope so. :pray:

According to what Roger Friedman said (yes i know im saying that guy's name, wheter you like him or not, he knows some things) this deal does not include dvd's OR VISUAL MATERIAL, so im guessing a NEW DEAL WILL BE DONE REGARDING DVD CONCERTS AND VISUAL STUFF, this deal we're talking about speaks only for the MUSIC, (i guess you can add audio of concerts, but not visual stuff)

According to what Roger Friedman said (yes i know im saying that guy's name, wheter you like him or not, he knows some things) this deal does not include dvd's OR VISUAL MATERIAL, so im guessing a NEW DEAL WILL BE DONE REGARDING DVD CONCERTS AND VISUAL STUFF, this deal we're talking about speaks only for the MUSIC, (i guess you can add audio of concerts, but not visual stuff)

knowing some stuff and breaking the rules doesn't help us. he does a lot of lying, and mods will just transfer anything regarding freidman into the tabloid section.

mixing half truths doesn't help anyone. and that's friedman's schtick. we'll just be left frustrated over nothing.

you're not enlghtening. you're belttleing and attacking.

and you're wrong. you're giving false info. because there WERE demos on t25. and there WERE demos on the box set. and there WERE unreleased material on the box set, and t25. so, if they had faith, who knows what negotiations would have given us.

and when you burn someone, how do you expect them not to react?

No you are attacking, you have attacked Sony since you entered this thread and are attacking the estate and everyone involved in Michaels dealings!

You obviously dont know the original tracklisting of Thriller 25 do you? The several Demos that Sony tried to get released, and FYI For All Time was reworked so aint a demo and only the Japanese had Got The Hots. As opposed to Starlight, Beat it Demo ETC that Sony wanted on the album.

So we can be pretty clear that Sony were willing to run with anything Michael gave them before June 25th!

I wont be pulled into an argument as my standing here at MJJC is against that. But there is only so many times you can call Sony names, it wont change a thing, Michael moved on from 2001, about 99% of his fans did too.

Er.... so... :unsure:

What are the chances of them releasing Michael's tours in DVD?

What about his earlier tours?

Do ya'll think they might release Triumph or Destiny and Victory tours?

I hope so. :pray:
Im seeing a deal EXCLUSEVELY made out of this, remember Michael was not only music, he was art himself, a new deal will be sure done out of that, we're talking Michael Jackson

I don't want any "packages". I don't know what others think but the pieces composed by Michael and mostly sung by some other is better than oldies remixed or compiled. And they would sell much more (with Michael's demos if existing). Knowing Michael composed songs like they said he did, why don't let someone record those.. I think someone must know about Michael's recordings, how he wanted them to be produced. So they wasn't "home recordings".

Btw, where are they all? Is it Janet who's holding them?

knowing some stuff and breaking the rules doesn't help us. he does a lot of lying, and mods will just transfer anything regarding freidman into the tabloid section.

mixing half truths doesn't help anyone. and that's friedman's schtick. we'll just be left frustrated over nothing.
I was talking for the obvious on the part that another deal will be done about Michael concerts or other stuff, not for RF

i give my opinions on Sony..not on other members. so, i don't belittle other members. so you're wrong about that. i don't call other people delusional, or anything related to that. but you are attacking a fellow member.

if you don't agree with an opinion, you always take it out on another member..and name that member, to boot.

Okay we both have our points, but how many times in a thread can you insult Sony? Really? We should be celebrating this fantastic deal, because whatever the past holds is gone, we cant change that.There is so much tragedy and turmoil in the story of Michael Jackson but the Magic outweighed all of that, he is gone, we have to look forward to the gifts he left his Family and fans now, arguing with another fan about the past is something none of us should be doing, so lets talk about the future

Okay we both have our points, but how many times in a thread can you insult Sony? Really? We should be celebrating this fantastic deal, because whatever the past holds is gone, we cant change that.There is so much tragedy and turmoil in the story of Michael Jackson but the Magic outweighed all of that, he is gone, we have to look forward to the gifts he left his Family and fans now, arguing with another fan about the past is something none of us should be doing, so lets talk about the future

finding a way to quell someone else's feelings is against the rules.

we are entitled to our opinions. that isn't going to stop the future. but not everyone has to feel the same about sony. people have a right to their feelings. what a dull world it would be if everybody had to be programmed to have the exact same opinion. if we just gave our opinions on sony, and left other fans alone, there would be no arguing. i say nay to sony, you say yay. and then we move on, instead of telling yay to say nay, and nay to say yay.

everybody here loves Michael Jackson. everybody here loves his music. nobody here is going to stop loving his music. and as i have said before, nobody here can destroy, or is destroying MJ's legacy.

having our various opinions about sony will not destroy MJ's legacy. sony and MJ are two different entities.

there are people in here who are giving negative feelings about sony and are not being quoted, and bothered, and argued with. and there are people in here who are saying positive things about sony, and are not being quoted, and bothered, and argued with. if more of that happened, everything would be fine.

Last edited:
Re: Don't Worry, Be Happy

Just the last piece of OT in here as far as I am concerned, but just had to add my two cents...
I hate the fact that for some time it's always "agree to disagree and move on". A message board should be a place where people actually discuss and argue about things. This is what a forum is for.
That's of course just my opinion.

Re: Don't Worry, Be Happy

Just the last piece of OT in here as far as I am concerned, but just had to add my two cents...
I hate the fact that for some time it's always "agree to disagree and move on". A message board should be a place where people actually discuss and argue about things. This is what a forum is for.

Yeah but in certain situations its best to move on, I think we both understand our opinions are different, but I just thought i would throw some more fact into the thread. I think a more positive discussion would be great, I mean its an exciting time for us, we are yearning to hear more magic and its finally on its way :)

There is nothing to celebrate here. Greedy ppl making more cash from Michael's death? Somebody has to make a change in their heads first than the real world around them will change too.

Not greedy people, people who support thousands of Jobs over the globe, people who have worked their butts off to get where they are now. There are 2 sides to each coin, when you understand both you get a clean view on things. Michael would have probably done the same business deal in the same situation, lets not forget, if the Beatles were still alive and going would their catalogue have been in Michaels hands, remembers that, its business, something Michael understood and alot of fans are making him look like he didn't have a clue!

i agree.

Yeah but in certain situations its best to move on, I think we both understand our opinions are different, but I just thought i would throw some more fact into the thread. I think a more positive discussion would be great, I mean its an exciting time for us, we are yearning to hear more magic and its finally on its way :)

unfortunately, it's not that way for everybody. you're acting as a radio programmer, trying to tell everybody how to feel.

sony took a risk, with what they decided to do, and as a result, the future is uncertain as to how fans will feel and react. so sony might as well have taken a 'risk' in the other direction, and did things, Michael's way. the worst thing that could have happened, is that all fans would feel genuine joy at what would take place, and there wouldn't be a worry that people would try and radio program people to feel a certain way. so for me, that's sony's fault.

you think death always sells? it hardly worked for Alliyah. it was short lived. and not all people could feel 'joy'.

that's just the way it is.

Not greedy people, people who support thousands of Jobs over the globe, people who have worked their butts off to get where they are now. There are 2 sides to each coin, when you understand both you get a clean view on things. Michael would have probably done the same business deal in the same situation, lets not forget, if the Beatles were still alive and going would their catalogue have been in Michaels hands, remembers that, its business, something Michael understood and alot of fans are making him look like he didn't have a clue!

some of the beatles WERE alive, and Michael GAVE Paul a chance to bid on his own material Paul refused so..no..MJ is not like other people. he actually DiD think of other people first. that's why there was more joy in enjoying him, than enjoying many other artists, and entities. MJ was able to be a people person first, and still do wonderful business.

and those greedy people COST people jobs. most labels are CUTTING BACK, and those are the cutthroat labels. did you see what happened at universal nbc? their greed not only was cutthroat to musicians, it extended to their tv shows. they put many of their stars OUT of WORk. so greed does not help the economy. it leaves people torn and tattered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back