Michael Jackson estate, Sony Music Entertainment strike record distribution deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont understand this you guys. Can someone break it down to me.

I thought that SONY didnt had the right to anything MJ had recorded after 2006. But the article says SONY had the rights through 2015. Where and why did I hear 2006 before? LOL. My own imagination perhaps? No but im sure that Ive seen and heard that SONY didnt had the rights to songs recorded after 2006.

Again.. 2011? Why did I hear 2006 before (LOL) and why do the article say 2015.. and not 2011 like you and many other have mentioned here.

The deal is for distribution rights only.

Why Mj estate made this deal with Sony again? Michael had a very bad history dealing with Sony. There are other companies they could make this contract with.
There is not really anywhere else to go, unless they went the independent route, which doesn't have the money or distribution power of a major. Because of all of the mergers over the past 15-20 years, there are technically only 2 or 3 major labels.

On one hand I'm glad they're keeping his musical legacy alive, but I agree with the other comments. Too many albums in so few years -take it easy Sony. Would MJ even want these songs released? Doesn't matter now I guess...

I must say, however, I am looking forward to purchasing the new music... yes, I am also feeling very guilty.

Sigh*

... oh please, guys, forget the so-called Sony vs. Michael conflict in term of hating Sony, or blaming them for nothing!

Sony is the best choice for Michael, for his music, and legacy! Branca and McCain and Katz are doing their "job" excellently, for them its almost like a honour.

Some of you should really study more relevant info than just believe in fan-made twisted delusions from MJ forums.

... oh please, guys, forget the so-called Sony vs. Michael conflict in term of hating Sony, or blaming them for nothing!

Sony is the best choice for Michael, for his music, and legacy! Branca and McCain and Katz are doing their "job" excellently, for them its almost like a honour.

Some of you should really study more relevant info than just believe in fan-made twisted delusions from MJ forums.

please don't tell us what opinions to have. that's against the rules. we have our opinions, and we are entitled to them. MJ has his kids taken care of, anyway..

if sony was good to him, he'd never have had to do rereleases, what more can i give would have been released. any totally new album he might have wanted to put out what have gotten twice the financial support from the label, that invincible did. we could go on. he would have felt creatively free and supported...and heck..might be still here, today.

so..pls leave us be...don't intimidate people who don't agree with you.

we're really tired of the word 'delusion'. that's a baseless word, and a personal attack.

that's the only thing in here that ever starts fights, is those personal attacks, and the use of the word 'delusional fans'. people coming in here, saying that are the ones coming in here not following the rules.

Last edited:
^^Again, at that time Tommy Motolla was at the helm... he's long gone since! So the '01 situation doesn't apply anymore!

^^Again, at that time Tommy Motolla was at the helm... he's long gone since! So the '01 situation doesn't apply anymore!

you get burned like that, it affected the rest of his life. there's no going back, and no trusting. we hardly heard from MJ on the radio ever again, since then. no promotion for many years. of NEW stuff. and bad press, that Sony never did anything, to refute. why wait till he's DEAD?

sony never did anything to have MJs back, when the press hounded him for no good reason.

there are artists in JAIL who got more support on radio from their labels, while they are ALIVE, than Michael got, for being the charitable artist he was.

they claim to know the fans supported him no matter what...they know he has two hundred fifty mill worth of unreleased stuff, at least...they could have made the big deal with him while he was alive. they obviously knew he didn't have to tour, because they feel they can make this deal, based on releases alone. they should have given him that treatment while he was here.

Last edited:
you get burned like that, it affected the rest of his life. there's no going back, and no trusting. we hardly heard from MJ on the radio ever again, since then. no promotion for many years. of NEW stuff. and bad press, that Sony never did anything, to refute. why wait till he's DEAD?

sony never did anything to have MJs back, when the press hounded him for no good reason.

there are artists in JAIL who got more support on radio from their labels, while they are ALIVE, than Michael got, for being the charitable artist he was.

they claim to know the fans supported him no matter what...they know he has two hundred fifty mill worth of unreleased stuff, at least...they could have made the big deal with him while he was alive. they obviously knew he didn't have to tour, because they feel they can make this deal, based on releases alone. they should have given him that treatment while he was here.

It was never Sony's job to refute the false claims made against Mike. Also, Mike didn't release much material after Vince and didn't contribute to the promotion of the DVDs/albums that were released.

You have to realise that Sony COULDN'T offer him this kind of deal when he was alive. Michael Jackson would never have released enough material or promoted enough projects, or even toured enough to make it viable for Sony to pay him up to $250million. He had been out of the business for too long and it was not clear what the level of appeal would be if he did release something.

His death as relaunched his career and given added commercial value to his name, image and music.

I understand why fans are still angry about the way they treated Michael during Invincible, but you can't complain about their lack of promotion for new material that never got released. We all know their were plans for an album in 2003 but the allegations bought that to a halt. You can't blame Sony for that.

If Michael was genuinely interested in releasing new music while he was alive he could easily have done so on Sony or any other label. Allegedly he was on the brink of signing an album deal with Def Jam Records back in 03.

I guess you could argue that MJ felt disillusioned by the whole industry after Invincible dropped and was just left out there with no promotion or label support. I was there at the Killer Thriller fan party when MJ was talking about Sony and there was no mistaking it, he was pissed off and for good reason.

But none of us really know how MJ felt about Sony in the years that followed. The Ultimate Collection was his last contractual obligation release and he was a free agent from then on, so he actively chose to work with Sony on Thriller 25, the Visionary boxset and OTW 30. This certainly implies that he had settled some of his grievances with the company.

MJ was a businessman as well as an artist. He had ties with Sony beyond his recording contract and he had his own business interests to think about. If he had decided to release an album prior to June 09 I would've put money on him releasing it through Sony.

George Michael had a very public spat with Sony in the mid-ninties, he even went to court over it and then about ten years later he signed a one-off album deal with... guess who? Sony.

It's business, it isn't personal.

Wow, I'm really looking forward to all the re-re-re-re-re-releases.......... NOT!.
The only winner here is Sony. Sadly, the sheeple will buy whatever has Michael's name on it, but they won't get a single nickel from me.

Sony and the estate stand to make millions from this deal. Its not that everyone seems to be angry about releasing unreleased songs as Michael always said he would leave songs to be released after his death but he also said that the reason for doing so was for one reason. To benefit his children. Its them that Michael wanted benfiting from all this and they're the ones who should be number one in this deal, not Sony or any other company seeing it through $ signs for how much money they make. Michael's legacy is what's important here and everything must be done to honour and preserve it.

I am so desperate to hear his new music, but.....
I often wondered how come Michael did not made his very own record company....if anyone, he could do it.

Sony and the estate stand to make millions from this deal. Its not that everyone seems to be angry about releasing unreleased songs as Michael always said he would leave songs to be released after his death but he also said that the reason for doing so was for one reason. To benefit his children. Its them that Michael wanted benfiting from all this and they're the ones who should be number one in this deal, not Sony or any other company seeing it through $ signs for how much money they make. Michael's legacy is what's important here and everything must be done to honour and preserve it.

Well you can't say the kids aren't getting a great deal here. The estate signed the biggest distribution deal in history!

The only way I can see this backfiring on the estate is if interest in Mike drops within the next 7 years and the projects don't generate the income they expect. Perhaps the estate could then end up owing Sony money. None of us know the details of the contract, but I have heard that when advances are agreed, there could be a clause to allow Sony to recoup some of the money if it all goes horribly wrong.

Well you can't say the kids aren't getting a great deal here. The estate signed the biggest distribution deal in history!

The only way I can see this backfiring on the estate is if interest in Mike drops within the next 7 years and the projects don't generate the income they expect. Perhaps the estate could then end up owing Sony money. None of us know the details of the contract, but I have heard that when advances are agreed, there could be a clause to allow Sony to recoup some of the money if it all goes horribly wrong.

I want to know more about that too. But, I'd like to think Branca would surely account for anything like that?

Why Mj estate made this deal with Sony again? Michael had a very bad history dealing with Sony. There are other companies they could make this contract with. Looks like those ppl just deal with each other including Branca. I am sick and tired of their business because it based on their private realtionships.I won't be surprised if later on Sony will own MJ part of Beatles catalog.

Sony does own half of the Beatles catalog,in fact they own the less vauable 50%. So they are really hungry to get the other 50% from the estate.
Time will show. The catalog is up for renewal in Fall 2010. We will then have a first glance of where Mr Branca's loyalties lie.

The catalog is up for renewal in Fall 2010.
wheres the info on that. dont believe its ever up for renewal. a deal was done in 95 and that was it it doesnt run out every so often

^There is no need to sell the catalog to Sony or anybody. The estate has made hundreds of millions of dollars already and will continue to take in the dough as the years progress. MJ's total debt was around $400 million when he died. Half of that could be paid off already easy. By the end of 2010, that debt could be down to $80-100 million if the estate wanted to. And by the end of 2011, it would be gone. That Sony/ATV catalog brings in $50-70 million a year for the estate, they need that cashflow.

MJ's total debt was around $400 million when he died
sorry thats tabloid B.S. mj had been paying off the debt since 2006/07 when he refinanced the debt then was no where near 400 mill and was prob never near 400 mill to start with.reports back then said he owed between 200- 300 mill after his death the 400 mill figures came in and some latest reports have used the 500 mill figure lol .the last reports and info from ppl who saw the legal documents as they were open to the public via the courts system said he owed around 100 mill. as the debt refinancing deal he set up was to last 5 years and after 5 years everything would have been paid off. so hes 3/4 of the way through the payback deal yet still owes 400 mill. yeah that makes sense. lol

if the cat is ever sold that will sure the motives of many ppl. there is no way it should ever be sold as it is a treasure trove. there no business logic for it to be sold

Michael was angry to ALL record companies, have you heard how he talks in general against ALL record companies in the private interview with Brett Ratner???, he hated ALL record companies, he was saying it against ALL of them, and his point was RIGHT, hear him here.

here the interview, i dont remember the part exactly, hear the entire interview, you will see his frustration in this interview, (2 parts)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvKwAXSVRU8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8tXCkIYgwo

thanks

sorry thats tabloid B.S. mj had been paying off the debt since 2006/07 when he refinanced the debt then was no where near 400 mill and was prob never near 400 mill to start with.reports back then said he owed between 200- 300 mill after his death the 400 mill figures came in and some latest reports have used the 500 mill figure lol .the last reports and info from ppl who saw the legal documents as they were open to the public via the courts system said he owed around 100 mill. as the debt refinancing deal he set up was to last 5 years and after 5 years everything would have been paid off. so hes 3/4 of the way through the payback deal yet still owes 400 mill. yeah that makes sense. lol

if the cat is ever sold that will sure the motives of many ppl. there is no way it should ever be sold as it is a treasure trove. there no business logic for it to be sold

Agreed. No one knows the actual debt as it keeps changing day to day. Its just the media guessing. No one knows for sure. Yes Michael got into debt but he's been paying it back ever since Neverland was refinanced.

please don't tell us what opinions to have. that's against the rules. we have our opinions, and we are entitled to them. MJ has his kids taken care of, anyway..

if sony was good to him, he'd never have had to do rereleases, what more can i give would have been released. any totally new album he might have wanted to put out what have gotten twice the financial support from the label, that invincible did. we could go on. he would have felt creatively free and supported...and heck..might be still here, today.

so..pls leave us be...don't intimidate people who don't agree with you.

we're really tired of the word 'delusion'. that's a baseless word, and a personal attack.

that's the only thing in here that ever starts fights, is those personal attacks, and the use of the word 'delusional fans'. people coming in here, saying that are the ones coming in here not following the rules.
thank you so much - I am so tired to react on always the same ....

Agreed. No one knows the actual debt as it keeps changing day to day. Its just the media guessing. No one knows for sure. Yes Michael got into debt but he's been paying it back ever since Neverland was refinanced.

courts docs when he refinanced were available to the public thats how we now about the trusts that were set up and how long the agreement was gonna last/how much was being paid etc.the facts where there but of course the media like to ignore that. in 10 years time he will still owe 300 mill. yet the agreement to pay it off will have been finished 4 around 8 years

I certainly agree that Michael's children should ultimately benefit from the songs that have never been released, new ventures, etc. But just how would that take place WITHOUT Sony or any other company doing it? Of course Sony or any other company expects to see some sort of profit from it for the work they do, or why would they be a business?

Perhaps if someone would give an example of how to maximize any benefits for the children/estate in years to come that would NOT entail alot of work/time/marketing/packaging/distribution by any company. Does anyone seriously know of any business entity willing to do that all for free or without a profit? I'm not trying to be argumentative, but just honestly not understanding what other road could be taken in r/t back vault, etc., unless of course the estate lawyers take the route that Prince and a few others have tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back