Michael Jackson named as the 'Death That Most Shocked the Net'

MsCassieMollie

Proud Member
Well no duh!

Michael Jackson named as the 'Death That Most Shocked the Net' - Music-News.com

jackson.jpg

2011 may have been a big year in terms of online searches for the deaths of famous people, but Michael Jackson's demise in 2009 is still the 'Death That Most Shocked the Net' reveals a new study.

Searches for news of Jackson's departure were double those of Osama bin Laden who was narrowly ahead of Amy Winehouse (both of whom died last year) in a study of online searches since 2004.

The first global ranking of the world's 'Deaths That Shocked the Net' comes from analysing one billion online searches via Google by AccuraCast (AccuraCast - Search, Mobile & Social Media Marketing), a leading U.K. digital search agency.

2011 had 5 big deaths in terms of search with Osama bin Laden, Amy Winehouse, Steve Jobs, Elizabeth Taylor and Muammar Gaddafi all featuring in the top ten of most searched for deaths of all time. Only 4 other years made it in the study ' 2010 for Alexander McQueen, 2009 with Michael Jackson and Brittany Murphy, 2008 for Heath Ledger and 2006 with Saddam Hussein.

The study shows that the average age of the top ten most searched for deaths is 50 years and 4 months. Amy Winehouse was the youngest on the list at 27 years of age with Elizabeth Taylor the oldest at seventy nine years of age.

The top ten contains 5 entertainers (3 film stars, 2 singers), 2 political leaders, 1 fashion designer, 1 terrorist and 1 technology pioneer ' Steve Jobs.

Violent death is the most common cause of death in the top ten search list with 4 in this category ' Bin Laden (shot), Saddam Hussein (hanged), Muammar Gaddafi (shot) and Alexander McQueen (suicide).

Homicide was found to have killed Michael Jackson, Steve Jobs died due to illness while drugs and alcohol accounted for Heath Ledger and Amy Winehouse respectively.

Brittany Murphy's death was judged as accidental while Elizabeth Taylor was the one person who died a natural death.

According to Farhad Divecha, AccuraCast Managing Director, 'Our study shows that, above all, death is the biggest driver of all Internet search activity especially just after it has occurred. Using figures from Google we have been able to analyse rises and falls in search to produce a unique league table'.

Top Ten 'Deaths That Shocked the Net'
Rank Name Shock index

1 Michael Jackson 100
2 Osama bin Laden 50
3 Amy Winehouse 45
4 Steve Jobs 35
5 Heath Ledger 27
6 Brittany Murphy 21
7 Saddam Hussein 10
8 Elizabeth Taylor 8
9 Muammar Gaddafi 8
10 Alexander McQueen 5

• The 'Shock Index' for each person is based on the amount of online searches made for each name. A score of 100 is given to the highest of all.

Rankings of most searched for deaths since 2004 comes from analysing over one billion online searches.

Yeah seeing the title of the thread makes me feel sick. its still like its the first time

So sad MJ had to hold this record - but somehow not shocking...

MJ was the biggest of them all - the greatest we've ever seen - the greatest we will ever see...

Of course his untimely death shocked the world more than anything. :(

He was a part of global culture. His death literally made the internet skip a couple of heartbeats.

I don't mean to be offensive but I kind of... "like" this because it means that people paid attention. It was a time when people were kinda like, "Michael who?" Ya know? So many news outlets were writing that he would not be able to make all his shows, and even when he surpassed Prince in selling out shows, people really didn't care. But when we lose him... he becomes the top artist he always was... Bittersweet, in a way.

^^ When MJ died i heard some people in the media here saying that his death meant the end of an era, the era when music meant something, when music sales meant something and when people still thought that they could truly heal the world. I don't know if it sounds corny or cheesy but i agree in some parts. Mikes death made some people remember those times and weep not only because MJ died but because with him died that beautiful, still pure time.This is how i see it.

.... and the person resposible for all this agony around the globe got 4 years and is requesting to be released.

We live in weird times :(

nice... ^^
first it was Gaddafi, now its Bin Laden.
this assholes always compare him with terorrists!

MEDIA = FUCKING WEIRD ASSHOLES!!!

What I think of too on June 25, 2009 was the audible groan in Times Square when the news of his death scrolled across the boards there. :sad: The world still misses him.

why is this a surprise? it was a shock to young and old. fans and none fans. no matter who you was, where you stood on the allegation issue and where you lived, if you knew the name Michael Jackson and death was in the same sentence your head just couldn't understand. i think after 9/11 this was the biggest shock of our time.

I don't mean to be offensive but I kind of... "like" this because it means that people paid attention. It was a time when people were kinda like, "Michael who?" Ya know? So many news outlets were writing that he would not be able to make all his shows, and even when he surpassed Prince in selling out shows, people really didn't care. But when we lose him... he becomes the top artist he always was... Bittersweet, in a way.
It depends on who you were around. From my neck of he woods, everyone was happy that MJ was getting back on stage. And even though some did not think the shows would take place they were still hoping MJ would pull it off. I think there were far few people who thought "Michael who" compare to people who were happy. NO man can sell out 50 shows and have people requesting him to be on American Idol to the point even Simon wanted MJ to appear if they thought "Michael Who".

I feel sad. I think he had the #1 moment for Larry King's show when it was finishing up or close to it. Nothing has been the same since that day.

I don't need statistics to tell that, the shock and grief was monumental and shared across the world. It was surreal :(

In a kind of really really strange strange way, it makes me feel proud of him.

Just that he was still able to get all of that attention after all these years and after all he'd been through, people still cared.
His death really was the most shocking and painful but it's amazing and in a way beautiful that he was able to bring such huge amounts of people together one last time.

It was always going to be a shock, whenever it happened, because of who he was and what he achieved. However, I think the entire-world-stands-still effect was more to do with the circumstances of his death rather than him actually passing away. The fact that he was on his way to making a comeback (with a show that I truly believe would have been amazing) just makes it even more awful.

He was one of the most famous people ever to walk the planet and so it doesn't matter whether a person was a fan or not, they knew who he was and I think everybody was a little bit shaken by it. It was just so unexpected and out of the blue. One minute, he was standing on a stage saying 'I'll see you in July' and the next.. he was gone. Crazy.

Yea, it's a record I don't want Mj to have either. I guess, if you want too, you can see it as Michael was someone alsmot everyone hade a relationship with and I think his death actually made people see that thye forgot how much he ment to them. It was like some just thought he would always be there....

On June 25th 2009 the whole world stood still

Amazing, isn't it?

One person did that to all of us! Not just to a nation, but to the world. His love seeped in through people of all ages, color, culture, rich and poor.

Therefore his message of L.O.V.E did spread, the way he wanted to.

God love him and bless him.

The most amazing thing is, even though most kids were not old enough to know him. They are still finding out about him and loving him.

Who-else in this world can do all of that?

Michael :-( ...

I kept refreshing the PC over and over and over. Wishing that the headlines would change.

Back