Michael Jackson: The Life of an Icon by David Gest (merged)

For the people who have watched the DVD:

What rating would you give it out of 10?? (1=terrible, 10=best ever)

3 out of 10

A bunch of ramblings...about Motown WITHOUT the key players: Berry Gordy, Diana Ross, Suzanne De Passe

Very little mention of his solo career....

You would think MJ went straight from Motown to Drug addiction and June 25th 2009.

Rhilo, unless the bonus footage covers Off The Wall through Invincible properly, I don't want to watch it.

Last edited:
I'd give it a 3 too... NICE TRY...
I mean NO footage or Interviews of Quincy Jones, John Landis, ANY tour dancer, singer, Siedah Garrett, Will I AM or any other peep that has 'worked' with Michael or was his 'friend'...
The total LACK of his SOLO career footage :mat: me off too... Thriller, BAD, Dangerous, the TOURS, BOTD, Invincible ... there MUST be footage of that too...
That's NOT worth showing right????
ADDICTION... PERSONAL PROBLEMS... Thats the way to SELL a Docu :smilerolleyes:

What about what INSPIRED Michael to become an ARTIST???
What about all the HUMANITARIAN stuff Michael did?
What about all the people he INSPIRED????
What about Michael's MESSAGE????

I'm REALLY DISAPPOINTED in it :beee:

id give it a 6... it is a good documentary, does go over motown years too much and skips over things I find very interesting.. But to be fair if I compare it to other documentaries that have been out on DVD it is much better.. I think the reason why they didnt go over cbs and after career years is mainly because they had the rights to only motown songs etc.. thats the only songs they played, so it would be hard to talk about a music career that they didnt get approval for.. remember it was not backed by the estate.. But there is a lot of great and interesting stories and info..

I would give it about 7.
I liked the Motown years coverage! However, in my version the people from Motown were not named so sometimes I didn't know who was who (blushing)
I guess the later years of Michael's career, most of the young fans could have witnessed on their own. The Motown years are somehow forgotten, as if it was about a different person. This documentary stresses that Michael was a star since the age of 5. He was a genius, a phenomenon. It's great to hear it from the mouth of his idols and masters.
This part of Michael's live was often neglected in other documentaries. This documentary restores the ballance.

My girlfriend sent it to me ,l am disappointed
Come on David ,you should have released box set of "30th anniversary 2001 with both september 7 and 10" than to tell us these stories.

mehdiblanket - as much as id like to see that footage too.. I would not want it publically released.. after seeing the footage from amature cameras I really don't think it would highlight MJ's talent... There was a few either awkward, or confusing aspects of the concert.. and was treated more for a filming perspective than a full complete concert.. Michael definatly wasnt at his best that concert set and it showed.. It's a good thing they edited the shows together.. BUT I think releasing 30th anniversary with some special features from each night would be a great asset.. there was still magic that was not showed on TV..

The documentary is nothing to fear though!! I personally willing to watch or read anything that I could learn something new true story or fact about Michael.. even if its one story i'll savor it

I would give the doc an 8 out of 10, its pretty good. Like the poster stated above, the names dont appear so its hard to tell who is who at times

id give it a 6... it is a good documentary, does go over motown years too much and skips over things I find very interesting.. But to be fair if I compare it to other documentaries that have been out on DVD it is much better.. I think the reason why they didnt go over cbs and after career years is mainly because they had the rights to only motown songs etc.. thats the only songs they played, so it would be hard to talk about a music career that they didnt get approval for.. remember it was not backed by the estate.. But there is a lot of great and interesting stories and info..

And now that the Motown catalogue is under Sony/ATV...they can kiss their next documentary goodbye.

Sweeeeettttt.

^ Now a documentary from SONY that will go over motown all the way to 2009 in full... haha! I don't think the documentaries are done.. they'll take advantage of having Michael Motown songs..

I would give 5. First on hour basically not too many info. I heard that story for million time. MJ danced with laundry machine. God! How many time I have to hear it. It's pretty cool that they had some motown star to share their view. The middle part is just horrible. No focus, jump here to there. Some people's comment about MJ's plastic surgery and "tuning white" comment is just unbearable. I felt sorry for MJ that even people knew him in person think he was intentionally turning white in some way. What's the reason to ask Paul Anka to appear? Saying that MJ like to steal songs????? No idea why to put him there.

The last part of the trial is emotional. T-Mez is as good as always. Love how he can always put thing in a simple logic way. Although I also hear the same comment million times (good for those who is not familiar with the trial).

I am disappointed there's no new MJ footage. David used to claimed he had behind the scene of 30 MSG show. Maybe because of the copy right issue.

Won't get anything from the documentary if you were MJ fans. I think I knew 95% (maybe 99%) of the things they said. It's not too bad for the pubic so 5 out of 10.

KOPV
All Michael Jackson's performance are great ,just to see his presence on the stage is magical.
l would love if David released the concert rather than documentary

mehdiblanket - I respect your opinion, and I can understand why you would feel everything MJ does in magical because I do to..

Sadly I will admit to myself that an uncut version of each night would harm Michaels image more than the documentary.. Did you know that the edited version was made fun of on national TV! Some people noticed he was off even when it was edited to appear "better".. Especially after the documentary and how it was stated that he took a shot of demoral the night prior or morning of the show.. Michael was not fully there, while it was still magic, people would see he was not fully there.. People even back then were saying its as if he was on drugs.. Jamie Foxx stated he sempt "crackish"
I myself can sit and watch him eat for hours.. I would appreciate how he lifts the fork, chews, spins the speghetti onto the fork.. Not everyone is like that..

Of course I would love to see it, and would love for you to see it.. But it out to the public in a formal release would bring way too easy of shots at Michael.. There was great things not captured on the special that should be released, its just in its full there are areas that would not look good to "THEM"

Just been given this as a very much unwanted xmas present. just when xmas cant be any shittier i get given that. its unopened still got wrapping on it. didnt bother taking the rest off when i saw it.so if anyone wants it its yours. let me know

Last edited:
Just ben given this as a very much unwanted xmas present. just when xmas cant be any shittier i get given that. its unopened still got wrapping on it. didnt bother taking the rest off when i saw it.so if anyone wants it its yours. let me know
Me please. Seriously im so sorry you are having a bad day, after all the times you have been there for everyone on this board the least you deserve is to have is a wonderful Christmas, I hope your day gets better x.

I am in the UK but even if you don't like or want it, keep it as a part of your collection. Christmas best wishes to you. X

I've sent you a private message but not sure it's worked, let me know if you get it.

It's not letting me send a private message . . . . . . Gaz, anyone HELP!

Dvds now back in hmv. took it back. it was bought in ireland so wanst sure if they would refund it. they did so now ive got a twenty quid voucher in exchange!

Oh thats brill make sure you treat yourself to something you really want, you deserve to.

Thanks.sorry if u wanted it.wasnt planning to go into town but my mum wanted to get some things so thought id give it a go

Back