Michael Jackson: The Life of an Icon by David Gest (merged)

Re: The Real Michael Jackson - DVD/Bluray Release

Interesting to see Mark Bego is still around. He wrote a book on Michael back in the '80s. He really thinks there is stuff about Michael that has not 'come out of the closet'?

And I neither like nor trust David Gest. I think he lies and what he does not lie about he seriously embellishes.

Interesting to see Mark Bego is still around. He wrote a book on Michael back in the '80s. He really thinks there is stuff about Michael that has not 'come out of the closet'?

And I neither like nor trust David Gest. I think he lies and what he does not lie about he seriously embellishes.

Quoted & bolded for truth

I think Mark Bego wrote a couple of books on Michael, but nothing negative. He's the type of author who will jump in the bandwagon of whatever's hot at the moment to cash in.

Most of the books he's written are not comprehensive thoroughly researched biographies, and released at the height of mania surrounding the respective celebrity. For example Michael's books all came out around Thriller time. In 1998 he released a bio on Leonardo DiCaprio, during the 'Leo mania' phase. Considering that, his books can't be taken too seriously, and were made to appeal to the teeny bopper segment.

And yeah, David Gest has to embellish or make up most of the stories he says. He has said some crazy hilarous stuff, and he's the only person whom Mike knew, to have such a wealth of similar stories. Either Michael was totally uninhibited around David, and also related funny stuff that had happened to him when David was not around (i.e. the Whitney Houston story), or Gest is simply making stuff up.

Last edited:

I haven't read the entire thread.

BUT - are you guys sure this will be a negative documentary?

I really hope it will be positive.

^I don't think it will be negative, but whatever Gest himself says should be taken with a grain of salt. The documentary also has interviews with family and friends, so it can't all be lumped together as one big tall tale.

There was a screening earlier this year to an invited audience, and the reviews that emerged from that were pretty positive.

Michael's response to Liza Minnelli re Gest says alot. Michael knew the kind of person Gest is. I am just wondering how close they really were. A bit tired of everyone feeling that they knew and should reveal the real Michael Jackson.

Michael's response to Liza Minnelli re Gest says alot. Michael knew the kind of person Gest is. I am just wondering how close they really were. A bit tired of everyone feeling that they knew and should reveal the real Michael Jackson.
I've always taken it that Michael and David Guest were just distant friends, who saw each other sparodically. David Guest was and is really Tito's friend more show than Michael's friend, and that friendship with Tito gave him access to being around Michael. I don't believe he was ever part of Michael's group of close friends.

I agree benscarr. That is what I thought too. I guess there is no cultural value in being a friend of Tito's.

I've always taken it that Michael and David Guest were just distant friends, who saw each other sparodically. David Guest was and is really Tito's friend more show than Michael's friend, and that friendship with Tito gave him access to being around Michael. I don't believe he was ever part of Michael's group of close friends.

Very well said. I agree very much.

The report suggests this is going to 'premiere' in the UK on 24th October. Does anybody know for sure if this is a TV 'premiere'? I assume it's not a cinema release, so does anybody know which channel will show it?

Also, where can we read about the responses to the advance screenings? Thanks

[h=2]Michael Jackson: 'The Life of an Icon' to be released[/h]added: 31 Aug 2011 // by: newsdesk

Prepare to go behind the headlines as producer and television star David Gest, Michael Jackson's mother Katherine, brother Tito, sister Rebbie and more than fifty friends, peers and associates share intimate and fascinating stories about the singer's celebrated life. Released on DVD and Blu-ray' on October 31st 2011 from Universal Pictures International Home Entertainment, and featuring performance footage as well as never-before-seen family photography, Michael Jackson: The Life of an Icon is a powerful behind-the-scenes account of the star's life, providing fresh insight into his early years with the Jackson 5, his rise to global solo-stardom through to the final moments before his sudden death in 2009.

Directed by Andrew Eastel and produced by Michael Jackson's close childhood friend David Gest, Michael Jackson: The Life of an Icon gives Katherine Jackson the first chance to tell her side of the story about Michael's upbringing in Gary, Indiana, his relationship with father Joe, her support for her son during the court cases he challenged and her thoughts on the life he faced afterwards. Rebbie Jackson, Michael's eldest sister, gives a very rare interview and recounts the star's childhood growing up in Gary, Indiana, as well as his difficulties with father Joe, his extraordinary bond with mother Katherine, and his decline in later years. Gest's other best friend, Michael's brother, Tito, provides an in-depth look into Jackson's history and what his mother and family went through during the sensational molestation trial in 2005.

Michael's mother Katherine says, 'Michael Jackson: The Life of an Icon is a truly remarkable film that captures the true character, wit and sensitivity of my son. Producer David Gest takes you on an emotional roller coaster that will bring people to tears as well as really understand who the man behind the music was and is.'

Producer and close friend David Gest says, ' have tried to show Michael in a truly unique light. I have spent the past fifteen months travelling the world interviewing people who were most important in his life. I believe this film will entertain and educate in equal measures about who the real Michael Jackson was. I hope this will serve as a lasting testament to the compassion and love that he had for all mankind. He was a very complex individual and this film reveals the many different facets of his personality.'

More details about a special Michael Jackson fan event to celebrate the DVD & Blu-ray' release will follow from Universal Pictures International Home Entertainment at a later date

*To view the trailer for Michael Jackson: Life of an Icon, please go to http://uk.yahoo.com

source: http://www.music-news.com/shownews....-Life-of-an-Icon-to-be-released&nItemID=43624

It looks pretty good apart from the bit at 1:30

MsCassieMollie;3420165 said:
Debbie Kunesh (creator of the awesome Reflections of the Dance website) said this today:
UPDATE: I spoke with Tom Mesereau today and he was telling me about a new documentary due out from David Gest entitled "The Real Michael Jackson". Tom attended a private screening along with Katherine, Tito and others and Tom said that he thinks it's wonderful and that Katherine also liked it very much. Will be interesting to see....

I'm told that many who worked with Michael in Motown are interviewed and that there are a lot of interesting details and facts. I'm very curious to see it now, but it does get the stamp of approval from Tom Mesereau and Katherine.

Tom said that? Interesting.

Rhilo;3469227 said:
Don't know what to make of this. It's kinda funny if it really happened. A story from David Gest's documentary.

Whitney Houston once got intimate with Michael Jackson's pet monkey Bubbles <o:p></o:p>

by Natalie Edwards, Sunday Mirror 28/08/2011
<o:p></o:p>
IF you&#8217;re of a nervous disposition... don&#8217;t read on!

David Gest, in his Michael Jackson documentary, to premiere in the UK on October 24, recalls when the late star&#8217;s monkey *Bubbles got up close and personal with Whitney *Houston.

He reveals: &#8220;Whitney was having dinner with Michael at his Neverland home when she accidentally dropped her knife under the table. While Michael was retrieving it for her, Whitney felt her toes being sucked. She moaned, &#8216;Michael, is that you? Don&#8217;t stop. That&#8217;s so sensual&#8217;. Yet Michael&#8217;s head popped up and her toes were still being sucked. It turned out it was Bubbles.&#8221;

Source: whitney-houston-once-got-intimate-with-michael-jackson-s-pet-monkey-bubbles-115875-23377170

I don't think this ever happened :lol:
Probably the Bubbles part happened but that response from Whitney? Hard to believe :D
That's the problem with Gest, you don't know when he is telling the truth.

The David Guest documentary on Michael looks like the standard Michael Jackson story, just with friends and family giving "their view" on Michael's life. It's obviously not going to be a negative documentary, but I do think that there will be criticism of Michael's cosmetic surgery Katherine and of all people David Guest (his face looks frozen, and Michael never had that over done plastic look). Fair in private for them to talk about Michael's surgery, but if people who cared about Michael start criticizing his surgery in this documentary (like Katherine did to Oprah earlier this year. Even Joesph Jackson wouldn't do that), I just think that is really low. Just like I can never look at Quincy Jones with the same respect I once had for him when, he started saying Michael bleached his skin etc.

Any film/documentary can't convey who Michael was. The Real Michael Jackson isn't a good title. And I'd much prefer to hear people like Miko Brando who in my view most possibly knew Michael better than anyone else. But as Miko Brando is a true friend of Michael's, I doubt he'll do any interviews unless it comes from Michael's estate. And this documentary has Guest saying Michael turned friends away. I think to know "The Real Michael Jackson", we'd have to hear directly from Michael why he turned old once close friends and not so close friends/associates (who like to think they were Michael's close friends) away and out of his life. We know Michael kept his distance from some members of his family (not all family members), because they wanted to ride on his fame and reform the Jackson 5 etc. And friends who wanted his money and publicity from his friendship so they could appear on television talk shows and talk about Michael.

I hope I see some candid footage of Michael taking, that has never been released before. But somehow I think the majority of any "unseen" footage, is stuff that we already have seen on YouTube and the Downloads sections on fan sites. I think this will be a documentary, I'll watch once or twice and rarely watch after that. I don't really want to watch something with other peoples voices over footage of Michael. A bit like the extras in the This Is It Blu-ray and DVD, with some amazing footage of Michael but Kenny Ortaga and co's voices getting in the way.

^^Benscarr I agree completely. When I saw that little bit from the preview about surgeries , I just shook my head.
I don't understand why his family/ so called "close" friends would go there. Honestly, why do it? They know he never wanted to talk about it, so why do they feel they need to talk about now? Looks like the tabloids will love this.

Also agree about the "new" footage. I would not be surprised if it is stuff we have already seen on youtube and things like that.
Now I would like to be proven wrong because every new footage of Michael would be great but after the preview I don't think it will be much new video if anything.
I also saw them describing this film as showing his decline (later in life/movie) ?! Seriously? what decline? Just because he wasn't in the spotlight all the time doesn't mean he was declining. I swear it changed my view on this thing.
I think it will be mostly old stories with little new bits and pieces and will show again who was really involved in his life later on and more importantly who wasn't really.

Now I will try to keep an open mind untill the whole thing is released but the preview made me think twice of what exactly is coming. I hope it contains more great stories about Michael instead of things like the ones I mentioned above.

^^Benscarr I agree completely. When I saw that little bit from the preview about surgeries , I just shook my head.
I don't understand why his family/ so called "close" friends would go there. Honestly, why do it? They know he never wanted to talk about it, so why do they feel they need to talk about now? Looks like the tabloids will love this.

Also agree about the "new" footage. I would not be surprised if it is stuff we have already seen on youtube and things like that.
Now I would like to be proven wrong because every new footage of Michael would be great but after the preview I don't think it will be much new video if anything.
I also saw them describing this film as showing his decline (later in life/movie) ?! Seriously? what decline? Just because he wasn't in the spotlight all the time doesn't mean he was declining. I swear it changed my view on this thing.
I think it will be mostly old stories with little new bits and pieces and will show again who was really involved in his life later on and more importantly who wasn't really.

Now I will try to keep an open mind untill the whole thing is released but the preview made me think twice of what exactly is coming. I hope it contains more great stories about Michael instead of things like the ones I mentioned above.

You made a good point about people using the term decline about Michael. As far as Michael's career goes, your right there never was a decline. Michael's career became "inactive" which is totally different from being in decline. Michael couldn't really focus on his career in the 2000's, because of all the crap he had to go through with the trial and getting sued by too many people.

It will be an interesting documentary to watch, but I can't take the likes of Rebbie Jackson serious considering she's said in interviews Michael was an addict and is friends with Stacy Brown her alleged manager (and he's friends with Diane Diamond). It will be a documentary that's positive about Michael, but I think one that gives the media what they want. As the media always feel you have to have some negativity in regard to Michael Jackson the balance with the positive. Quite pathetic I think, and this negativity will be his cosmetic surgery which he didn't have as much as the media as the media like people to think. Michael's appearance changed a lot, but that's different to having a lot of surgery as just a little surgery can make a person look very different.

^^ And a different hairstyle!

Anyway, there can be 50 positive things in this doc and 3 negative and the media will focus on the 3 negative.

And I feel that the preview about surgeries and decline is to attract viewers who relish in that kinda stuff cause they cannot really think that as MJ fans we are not SICK up to here with all the stuff that was allegedly wrong with Michael.

actually after seeing the teaser I'm interested in this documentary. any link to buy it in US?

This family is always selling something.

I think if they could find MJ's underwear they would sell them.

After seeing the trailer I will watch it for free but not buying it, there are not mj solo music in it only j5 music,
I am sick of mj so called close friend SELLING him to the highest bidder.

The Real Michael Jackson
DVD/Bluray

Release: October 31 2011

Producer & television star David Gest presents a feature length, definitive portrait of his best friend Michael Jackson through the eyes of family, friends and music legends including Smokey Robinson, Dionne Warwick, Whitney Houston, Nick Ashford & Valerie Simpson, Holland-Dozier-Holland, Gamble & Huff, Freda Payne, The Temptations' Dennis Edwards, Martha Reeves, Paul Anka, Petula Clark, Jimmy Ruffin, Percy Sledge, Brenda Holloway, Kim Weston, Bobby Taylor, Russell Thompkins, Jr., plus many more.

Includes never before seen footage and unprecedented interviews with Michael's Mum Katherine and siblings Tito and Rebbie Jackson covering all the highs and also the lows in the King of Pop's extraordinary life story uniquely told by those who knew him best.

Plus, fantastic music from The Jackson 5 and other Motown Legends.

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/19785850/The-Real-Michael-Jackson/Product.html

Sounds interestin :D

Hasn't this guy got enough leeching off MJ already? he's plotting his "movie" for October release. Coincidence? Me think NOT. Anyway, I just wish these people would get lost for good.

This family is always selling something.

I think if they could find MJ's underwear they would sell them.

You nailed it right there! The ugly truth!

^^ And a different hairstyle!

Anyway, there can be 50 positive things in this doc and 3 negative and the media will focus on the 3 negative.

And I feel that the preview about surgeries and decline is to attract viewers who relish in that kinda stuff cause they cannot really think that as MJ fans we are not SICK up to here with all the stuff that was allegedly wrong with Michael.

Yes, hairstyles also make a huge difference to someones appearance.

If people want to make a lot of money out of Michael's name, they should focus on the truth which are positive things about Michael, then fans would rush out what so called friends, associates etc are selling. No real fan is bought Ian Halpern's book Unmasked because it was full of lies, or any other books/products that like that.

If Michael's so called friends like David Guest and even his mother Katherine want to put Michael's image as honorable person back as his media persona. Then they should start by routing out the anything remotely controversial about Michael, and stick to talking about his music and what a great person he was, and not talk about his surgery. If it had been Jermaine, Latoya or Janet had died, and not Michael would Katherine talk about there cosmetic surgeries (not that these are the only Jackson's not to have surgery, Rebbie, Marlon, Austin etc etc oh and Katherine, Joesph etc etc). As Michael said to Martin Bashier in his documentary "Why me, all of Hollywood has had plastic surgery". And Michael was right, as I'm surprised how many stars have had plastic surgery.

David Guest even gave an interview a year or so ago blaming Michael for the surgery he had. Rubbish, even if Michael did encourage him to have surgery it's was his choice to go through with it. And I'm pretty sure it was David Guest who asked Michael for advice, and brought up the subject. My take of David Guest's surgery, is you can't make an ugly person handsome, and that's why his surgery doesn't look great. It seems as soon as Michael had surgery on his nose, his family copied him, then his friends copied him. Now he gets slammed for it by some of those very same people. Hypocrites!!!

originally liked the idea. but the trailer had to many moments that made me feel sick/furious....don't know about this...
t-mez's recommendation has me torn tho..

Back