Michael Makes The 2012 World's Most Popular List

billyworld99

Proud Member
The website, officially launched today (May 31), is the world's first and largest global digital platform for social entertainment charts and is able to accurately measure the behavior of nearly 1.5 billion people.

Facebook was named the most popular social networking site after finishing one place ahead of YouTube at number seven on the chart of all things discussed on the web

bieber.png
pa-11680585.jpg

The global most popular Top 10 in full:

1. Lady GaGa
2. Justin Bieber
3. Rihanna
4. Eminem
5. Shakira
6. Katy Perry
7. Facebook
8. YouTube
9. Cristiano Ronaldo
10. Michael Jackson
http://www.digitalspy.com/celebrity/news/a384701/lady-gaga-named-worlds-most-popular.html

MJ is on the list three years after his death, Will Gaga, Bieber, Perry and others also still be in the list if they are dead

Is Lady GaGa THAT famous?? WOW... I'm starting to think something is wrong with me.... or with the world!!!

Considering that the Top 9 have only been around for the last 10 Years and mostly less than that, I think that makes Michael the greatest! :happy: :heart:

Is Lady GaGa THAT famous?? WOW... I'm starting to think something is wrong with me.... or with the world!!!
No it's Definetly THE WORLD! lol

Happy for MJ though. His name is up there with young artist and still kickin ass! He is for everyone and forever!! :)

It's nice to see Michael up there but honestly everytime a list like this comes out I say the same thing,
it really doesn't mean as much as they would like you to believe.
When the other people on this list sell as many albums (when they have a new one out) as they have twitter followers/ facebook likes then it will mean something.

Think about it, Adele sold over 20 million albums with her last album and broke records yet she is not in the top 10 on this list. Does that mean she isn't popular enough?
I think people going out and actually spending money on your music means more than people clicking "like" or "follow" for free.
(Not to mention the fact that nobody looks to see how many double or even multiple accounts from the same person are following these people instead of real individuals)

It seems to be good PR for the people on the list nothing more really.
Maybe that's just me :)

Still nice to see Michael on a list like this though.

Michael will always be on the top of all my lists :)

It's nice to see Michael up there but honestly everytime a list like this comes out I say the same thing,
When the other people on this list sell as many albums (when they have a new one out) as they have twitter followers/ facebook likes then it will mean something.

Think about it, Adele sold over 20 million albums with her last album and broke records yet she is not in the top 10 on this list. Does that mean she isn't popular enough?
I think people going out and actually spending money on your music means more than people clicking "like" or "follow" for free.
(Not to mention the fact that nobody looks to see how many double or even multiple accounts from the same person are following these people instead of real individuals)

It's clear that this list is about how much someone is searched, clicked on, whatever on the Internet, not about album sales. The fact Adele is not on the list probably means that her fan base may not be typically the young people who use the internet much.

Regarding Michael the impressive thing is, that he sold record number of albums in the 80s and can still make it on such a list in the digital age with the current stars of the 2010s. So I say WOW!

I mean where is Madonna? Where is Bruce Springsteen? Where are all the other stars who were big in the 80s, 90s or even 00s like Britney, Justin? So for Michael to be there is pretty impressive.

Last edited:
respect77 said:
So I say WOW!

I say WOW! too.

Considering how the media have attempted for over 2 decades to sideline, ridicule, dehumanise and write him off, i think it's nothing short of miraculous. Shows his power.

It's clear that this list is about how much someone is searched, clicked on, whatever on the Internet, not about album sales. The fact Adele is not on the list probably means that her fan base may not be typically the young people who use the internet much.

Regarding Michael the impressive thing is, that he sold record number of albums in the 80s and can still make it on such a list in the digital age with the current stars of the 2010s. So I say WOW!

I mean where is Madonna? Where is Bruce Springsteen? Where are all the other stars who were big in the 80s, 90s or even 00s like Britney, Justin? So for Michael to be there is pretty impressive.

I get what your saying but my point still stands.
In my opinion this list isn't as reflective of actual popularity except maybe like you said amongst kids.
Does it really matter if a fanbase is active online when they will buy tickets to your shows and albums anyway?
It all depends on how you look at it.
Still like I said it's great Michael's legacy is on going. :) And your right that it's great to see Michael on there as the only one thats been around longer than 10 years.

Btw Madonna is still selling out stadiums worldwide and Bruce Springsteen is still going strong as well.
They seem to be doing fine without social media. That was all I was trying to say.
I guess I just feel Social media is overrated sometimes. Thats all :)

Last edited:

I agree: WOW. It's even more impressive when you consider the disadvantage he has in comparison to the currently hot pop artists. People like Gaga and Justin Bieber have millions of followers on Twitter, because they write their own tweets and interact with fans. Obviously the official MJ Twitter account doesn't have as many followers as celebs who write their own tweets.

Current pop artists are also more likely to have lots of YouTube views, because people use their YouTube channels to listen to new singles or see a new music video. Michael doesn't have new singles or music videos. And still he's so high on this list, it's really impressive!

BTW, it's the same thing with the Billboard Social 50 chart. The chart is based on Twitter followers, YouTube views, Facebook likes etc., and Michael is on that chart every week, whereas for example Madonna was on it only when she had her new album out.

No, it's not just you. I was just thinking the same thing. Gaga may be no. 1 in this list but will she ever sell as many albums as Michael? I think album sales are a better indicator than anything else, and Gaga, Bieber are not doing well to say the least in that department. And yes, look at Adele, I'd say really nowadays (per album sales and talent, imo, she should be no. 1.

Anyway, it is AMAZING and a testament of Michael's vast popularity and talent that he is in this list at all! He is like a good wine, his music and his talent will never fade and will keep getting better and better with time. YEAH Michael!!:bow:

xrisx;3649851 said:
I get what your saying but my point still stands.
In my opinion this list isn't as reflective of actual popularity except maybe like you said amongst kids.
Does it really matter if a fanbase is active online when they will buy tickets to your shows and albums anyway?
It all depends on how you look at it.
Still like I said it's great Michael's legacy is on going. :) And your right that it's great to see Michael on there as the only one thats been around longer than 10 years.

Btw Madonna is still selling out stadiums worldwide and Bruce Springsteen is still going strong as well.
They seem to be doing fine without social media. That was all I was trying to say.
I guess I just feel Social media is overrated sometimes. Thats all :)

No one said this list is about album sales, concert ticket sales or anything like that. And no one said that Madonna and Bruce Springsteen don't still have their fans. This list is what it is. But let's put it this way then: the only other stars on the list besides Michael are current hot acts. So for Michael to be there is impressive. No one overrates this list and no one thinks it's about album sales or anything. But still you can be glad to see íMichael there.

I think it's great. You look at current popular things and people of today and for Michael to be on the list just shows how important he has always been.

If you're the king, you're the king! Also in Swedish Metro they ranked the 50 most important moments in music and MJ's Motown 25th Billie Jean was nr one!!! Gaga was second, I don't get that though.

I find it hard to take that list seriously since most of the people/things on that list (besides Michael and possibly youtube) won't even be remembered or cared for years from now. But it's different with Michael since he's been dead for 3 years and worked in the entertainment industry for over 40 years. He still isn't forgotten. In 30 years from now, you won't see Gaga, Bieber, Rihanna, Eminem, Shakira, Katy Perry's, etc. etc. names in a list like this, whether they are dead or alive. Nobody will care about them or even remember them by that time. They will be replaced by completely different names except...Michael's will always remain. :yes:
Reminds me of Best Of Joy: "I am forever..."

IMO, MJ should be in Top 3 (with Facebook and Yoube, lol). He is the greatest entertainer, after all!

Back