Michael - The Great Album Debate

Re: Michael - The Great Album Debate (Only Go Here if You Want To Continue The Controversy)

I know. I don't know whether to cry or to laugh after reading Ivy's post on Melodyne. It seems melodyne is one big magical program that can turn anyone into a pitch perfect vocalist. No wonder there isn't any truly distinctive voice nowadays. Most of the stuff I heard from the radio sound robotic. I listened to Geroge Michael's new song. Why the hell he's using autotune?

Autotune/Melodyne is destroying the music industry.

Re: Michael - The Great Album Debate (Only Go Here if You Want To Continue The Controversy)

EXCLUSIVE: Eddie Cascio In Studio Working On New MJ Tracks *LEAKED PICTURE*

auto-tune.png

Oh man that picture made me laugh so hard! Thanks!

Ghosts-Is it scary are masterpieces. My mind boggles that anyone could be reminded of them when listening to 'monster' (in composition or in any any positive way that is) The only association i can see is that whoever is responsible for that revolting track stole concepts from Michael's previous tracks including those to make 'monster' seem more authentic. It is blatantly obvious that was the intention in my view. Big fail that was.

'Kay?

Read the past few pages... It was another long day at work... but here's my opinion.

If it weren't for Melodyne we wouldn't have the pitch perfect version of This Is It that we have now.

Like Paul Anka said, they took that original vocal and his original keys and perfected them with Melodyne until we have the masterpiece that is This Is It.

Of course, This Is It didn't need much processing, just a few pitch fixes here and there.

You can hear in the original demo of the song, the vocals are not perfect and are slightly stretched out/different in spots where they were tightened and smoothed out with Melodyne for the final version that appeared on the soundtrack....

Coincidentally as I was reading this thread I was watching a show.. and someone was in a room with a mic attached to them. When they were in the room they sounded one way, but when they got in an enclosed area they sounded much different. Still definitely recognizable but different. My point there is that just a simple small change in location can cause a drastic change in how someone sounds.

I also don't hear Jason Malachi in the Cascio songs, but I do think a lot of the comparison videos are quite well done. I do not think the doubters are nuts or have nothing to back them up.

This is a very very interesting debate.

EXCLUSIVE: Eddie Cascio In Studio Working On New MJ Tracks *LEAKED PICTURE*

auto-tune.png

I take the head gear as a hint that the songs were co-written by Michael, Daft Punk and/or Jay Kay of Jamiroquai. :lol:

As in composition? No, not to me anyway. I more reminded of Ghosts/Is It Scary when listening to Monster than Let Me Let Go. I thought Critical was a decent album, and after listening to it song after song, on more than one occasion, the Cascio tracks just don't seem like something he's capable on putting together.
You can't deny that the song "Critical" is very similar to "Stay".

Is It Scary is an absolute masterpiece. Monster is a pathetic joke. How anyone in their right mind could ever compare the two is beyond me. Musically they have absolutely nothing in common. Vocally they have nothing in common. And lyrically they are a million miles apart.

This is not a dinosaur, they did not exist, the Bible (the Law) doesn't mention it:

Last edited:

When is Teddy going to show Michael's notes regarding 'Monster'?

Read the past few pages... It was another long day at work... but here's my opinion.

If it weren't for Melodyne we wouldn't have the pitch perfect version of This Is It that we have now.

Like Paul Anka said, they took that original vocal and his original keys and perfected them with Melodyne until we have the masterpiece that is This Is It.

Of course, This Is It didn't need much processing, just a few pitch fixes here and there.

You can hear in the original demo of the song, the vocals are not perfect and are slightly stretched out/different in spots where they were tightened and smoothed out with Melodyne for the final version that appeared on the soundtrack....

Coincidentally as I was reading this thread I was watching a show.. and someone was in a room with a mic attached to them. When they were in the room they sounded one way, but when they got in an enclosed area they sounded much different. Still definitely recognizable but different. My point there is that just a simple small change in location can cause a drastic change in how someone sounds.

Meh. This is It is far from perfect, mostly because it's constructed from a demo. And its repetitive. And boring. I understand that melodyne/autotune is a commonality in music today and that EVERYTHING is going to go through it from now on but when used improperly it can ruin music, and that's exactly what happened with Riley's tracks.

And I still miss the days where talent reigned supreme. None of those early Jackson albums had autotune - in fact I'd be willing to bet that "MICHAEL" is the ONLY album to feature autotune (not including this is it, though I wouldn't believe what Anka said - it's CLEARLY a different take from the demo Anka was whoring around and then subsequently put into his live show).

As for "the room" - yes a room can give a voice character, and give subtle sonic differences to the tone of a vocal. But to make it sound like a completely different person? That must be some room.

Is It Scary is an absolute masterpiece. Monster is a pathetic joke. How anyone in their right mind could ever compare the two is beyond me. Musically they have absolutely nothing in common. Vocally they have nothing in common. And lyrically they are a million miles apart.

Comparing those two songs is a huge insult to Is It Scary

Comparing those two songs is a huge insult to Is It Scary

Indeed. In fact, I'm absolutely disgusted to see fans make such comparisons in order to justify these horrid songs.

Listen to Is It Scary! It's an absolute masterpiece. The kind of track that ONLY Michael Jackson could write. Coming from his cultural influences and his musical talent. It's orchestral. It's soulful. It's classical. It's dance. NONE of Michael's peers could write a song like that.

There's a chilling honesty about the lyrics and a wholly compelling message that works on a number of levels. Michael Jackson singing post-93 allegations:

"Am I amusing you? Or just confusing you? Am I the beast you visualised?"

Followed by the hauntingly autobiographical:

"But if you came to see the truth the purity... It's here inside a lonely heart"

A simply STUNNING record.

And fans are comparing it to 'Mama say mama got you in a zigzag'??? I don't even know what to say anymore. I really don't.

EVEN BY Anka's own admission, the song that Michael created in 1980 had nothing to do with Paul Anka.

thisisitmj.jpg

Yes, but that song from 1980 might not have much to do either with the "This is it" we know. In other words, maybe MJ wrote something called "This is it" in 1980, and the same words or lyrics were reused with Paul Anka in 1983. The "This is it" demo doesn't sound like something MJ would write : it's a piano-driven, melody-heavy song that's much in the style of Paul Anka.

Listening to the BOTDF album now. This album is criminally underrated. I dare to say BOTDF is the most underrated Michael Jackson album. Morphine, Is It Scary and Ghost are largely unknown to the general audience. Three masterpieces right there. Three masterpieces that only Michael Jackson can write.

Everything about these three songs scream GENIUS. The vocal delivery, the instrumentations, the lyrics, the way he conveyed emotions.

Monster is just not in the same level of Is It Scary or Ghost. Similarly, KYHU is not in the same league of KTF.

Listening to the BOTDF album now. This album is criminally underrated. I dare to say BOTDF is the most underrated Michael Jackson album. Morphine, Is It Scary and Ghost are largely unknown to the general audience. Three masterpieces right there. Three masterpieces that only Michael Jackson can write.

Everything about these three songs scream GENIUS. The vocal delivery, the instrumentations, the lyrics, the way he conveyed emotions.

Monster is just not in the same level of Is It Scary or Ghost. Similarly, KYHU is not in the same league of KTF.

I find that Is It Scary and Morphine especially give us a glimpse of what he was capable of in regards to classical composition. I would love to see what he had in mind for a classical album. Imagine being in that man's head?? WOW...

Meh. This is It is far from perfect, mostly because it's constructed from a demo. And its repetitive. And boring.
"Meh." I disagree and I think This Is It is an amazing, beautiful track. Maybe it's just not your taste. I've loved it since the day it premiered.

^ Hey finally megaupload links! Says temporarily unavailable for me, Kapital. :(

I find that Is It Scary and Morphine especially give us a glimpse of what he was capable of in regards to classical composition. I would love to see what he had in mind for a classical album. Imagine being in that man's head?? WOW...

That man's capable of all genre. I can't think of another singer who can switch from slow ballad, to dance track, to rock, to funk, to R&B to gospel with such ease... :agree:

That man's capable of all genre. I can't think of another singer who can switch from slow ballad, to dance track, to rock, to funk, to R&B to gospel with such ease... :agree:

Exactly...And that's why I hate the term 'King of Pop'...Doesn't even begin scratch the surface of his genius..

Exactly...And that's why I hate the term 'King of Pop'...Doesn't even begin to describe his genius...

My belief too, so true.It also sounds too frivolous.
I was afraid to state that here, though.

Back