Miguel to Perform a Michael Jackson Tribute at Grammys

A tribute to MJ is always welcome. - No matter the artist who makes the tribute.

I dont see it as "The bigger the star - the bigger the tribute"

I do not know Miguel, but if he really likes MJ I am sure he can make just as good a tribute as Lady Gaga could.

I judge after I've seen the performance. - And if it helps people remember OTW and MJ - then it's mission accomplished really.

barbee0715;4135334 said:
^^Yup!!! I love it. Sorry his performance at the Super Bowl got overshadowed by the Beyoncé hoopla.
Just saw a commercial for the Grammies. EWF are doing tribute. Didn't see Natalie mentioned.

Honestly I think that Bruno's part was a lot more better, enjoyable and funkier than Beyonce's part, but hey that's just me.

Miguel is a fantastic artist. His latest album, "Wildheart" was one of the best R&B albums of the year

it it possible for Kendrick Lamar to beat Michael's most Grammys record this year?

it it possible for Kendrick Lamar to beat Michael's most Grammys record this year?

No. If my math is OK, as of now he won 5 and lost 5, ironically 2 of them he lost to himself.

No, but Kendrick himself said he didn't want to even top Michael's nominations. One can strongly assume that he isn't a big fan of passing Thriller's 8-win record either

He deserves all this recognition and success though, he's incredible (should go without saying that of course, I don't want him to surpass Michael haha).

Last edited:
@silouette I feel you on this. I'm not trying to be ungrateful. I appreciate the nod to Michael, but I wasn't expecting it to be so short and odd.

I've never heard him before. But its better than Usher's Earth Song tribute...

Was stuck someplace trying to watch the Grammys while everybody else I was with could care less and yakked really loudly all through it-not just loudly-screaming loudly-maybe because I kept turning up the sound on the TV. I couldn't hear Stevie and Pentatonix, I couldn't hear the Lionel Tribute. I didn't care to hear the Weeknd much, but noticed he wore a sharp tuxedo like the Off the Wall cover.

Raced home to see the rest and missed Miguel's tribute, but read all the articles coming out and apparently, as you all said, it only lasted 30 seconds anyway. The press I read seemed upset that he didn't get to see the whole song.
Oh, well, I AM GLAD THAT BRUNO WON BOTH OF HIS CATEGORIES. Whoop whoop!!!

I guess Miguel's performance was ok but no one else emoted such passion, heartbreak and sadness like Michael did performing She's Out Of My Life.

Nice tribute, but a little short.

I read it elsewhere, so I have to ask: so they really went there and did NOT tribute Natalie Cole? I hear she wasn't even mentioned all night. Wow. SMH.

Last edited:
32 years and it's still an unbeatable record, YOU GO MICHAEL! :clap:

images

I read it elsewhere, so I have to ask: so they really went there and did NOT tribute Natalie Cole? I hear she wasn't even mentioned all night. Wow. SMH.

She was during the In Memoriam tribute I believe.

it only lasted 30 seconds anyway.

Now you see why I waited until the tribute was posted here. I would have been pissed watching the show and waiting for this brief segment! And to hear Natalie Cole's passing was ignored/not mentioned is a travesty and disrespectful as hell!

tapatalk_1455158770958_zpsh0yg6qwn.gif

Last edited:
32 years and it's still an unbeatable record, YOU GO MICHAEL! :clap:

images

Personally I wanted Kendrick to beat the record. Just so I could go "Yeah, I saw this guy dethrone MJ and saw him reach that bar and set it even higher, a black man, dethroning another" I'm going to get flack from some people because they're all butthurt MJ fans. Miguel did the song very well, even though they only gave him a few seconds, he had muuuuluuuvin GREG PHILLINGANES ON KEYS!!!

Personally I wanted Kendrick to beat the record. Just so I could go "Yeah, I saw this guy dethrone MJ and saw him reach that bar and set it even higher, a black man, dethroning another" I'm going to get flack from some people because they're all butthurt MJ fans. Miguel did the song very well, even though they only gave him a few seconds, he had muuuuluuuvin GREG PHILLINGANES ON KEYS!!!

Who on earth in their right mind would would want to watch The King being dethroned!? Kendrick himself said he didn't want to beat Michael and acknowledged his legendary status and how great he is.

uOLJS-hhboLcSLx9x94KQGX85cS-cKPCa1s7pbiaRuAySmumidcRSy-ofPNahD8-PEgCZVgYaN3kqdIcj3Rjyy43gVboM9M_NLwhaqQ=w309-h215-nc

Personally I wanted Kendrick to beat the record. Just so I could go "Yeah, I saw this guy dethrone MJ and saw him reach that bar and set it even higher, a black man, dethroning another" I'm going to get flack from some people because they're all butthurt MJ fans.
:wtf: not sure if that's supposed to be funny? cause it's not.....

LOL. Such a childish post. Awards are just awards, especially since you are obviously trying to provoke while being on an MJ forum, where guess what: people will root for MJ to keep his record. The audacity they have to root for MJ!

They give Grammys to whoever they want to and if one day the Grammys decide they will make someone to beat MJ's record they can do it. Doesn't really mean anything in terms of real relevance. It would not mean that Kendrick Lamar would "set the bar higher" than MJ. It would simply mean that in that particular year he was in the favour of the Grammy board - nothing more, nothing less. There are lots of legends who do not have a single Grammy and there are lots of people who no one even remembers any more who have several, so it's not the Grammys who will tell you who is how big and relevant and who set the bar higher.

BTW, I kind of knew Kendrick was not going to be the artist who b-e-a-t-s (so even this word is now asterixed out? LOL) MJ's Grammy record. If someone ever does it that person will have to be huge and sorry, but Kendrick just isn't that huge. I also noticed that he ended up only winning in rap categories, none of the major ones. Which is about what I expected when they announced the nominations.

:coffee: You want the flack, because you're whoring for attention and you see disrespecting Mike (and insulting his fans on a website dedicated to him) as a cheap avenue to do so.

tapatalk_1453938779099_zpswvmsabqt.gif

HIStoric;4135815 said:
*shrugs* I can't really say much, I didn't even know who she was until she died.

Well, I did not know who Lemmy was until he died. I am not into heavy metal, so Lemmy's name means nothing to me.
Our personal lack of awerness about someone does not mean a thing here. It only points to a certain ignorance about someone on our part. Doesn't mean that person is irrelevant and does not deserve a tribute.

Natalie Cole is actually a nine times Grammy winner, first won in 1976, last in 2009, so it is very odd from the Grammys to ignore her now. (I think Motörhead is only a one time Grammy winner.)

Personally I wanted Kendrick to beat the record. Just so I could go "Yeah, I saw this guy dethrone MJ and saw him reach that bar and set it even higher, a black man, dethroning another" I'm going to get flack from some people because they're all butthurt MJ fans.

I mean if Kendrick did win it, then I'd be happy for him and at the end of the day, I wouldn't really mind (I could say that Michael held it for 3 decades now which is still something in itself), but it's a pretty significant achievement especially to hold for over three decades so I don't think it's really getting butthurt if MJ fans are disappointed in a respectful manner. I mean, I also don't get the "a black man dethroning another" thing but hey.

yeah, because of MJ Beatz

How come? Aren't they just a Facebook page who leaks something every once in a while? (and maybe the odd fake teaser *hint hint OTW*).

respect77;4135816 said:
Well, I did not know who Lemmy was until he died. I am not into heavy metal, so Lemmy's name means nothing to me.
Our personal lack of awerness about someone does not mean a thing here. It only points to a certain ignorance about someone on our part. Doesn't mean that person is irrelevant and does not deserve a tribute.

Natalie Cole is actually a nine times Grammy winner, first won in 1976, last in 2009, so it is very odd from the Grammys to ignore her now. (I think Motörhead is only a one time Grammy winner.)[/QUOTE]
I don't mean to complain about Michael getting a tribute, I mean, that's always great...but he didn't die recently, like Natalie Cole did, and she didn't even get a tribute. I don't think that's fair at all

Back