MJ Funky Outtakes, Demos & Unfinished Songs Appreciation Thread

Psychoniff

Proud Member
I think these following songs are amongst his most funk-laden tracks, sad that these songs were both 'unfinished' because compared to songs by other artists these sound high quality.

I also think these songs have a kind of ambiguity to them particularly SD.

"Sunset Driver", "Streetwalker", "Cheater" and "Serious Effect".

So what do you guys think of these songs, and would they have made great hits if finished and released.

Last edited:
I would have loved Don't Be Messin' Round be finished. It's a very unfinished demo, but the idea sounds interesting to me.

I think these following songs are amongst his most funk-laden tracks, sad that these songs were both 'unfinished' because compared to songs by other artists these sound high quality.

I also think these songs have a kind of ambiguity to them particularly SD.

"Sunset Driver", "Streetwalker", "Cheater" and "Serious Effect".

So what do you guys think of these songs, and would they have made great hits if finished and released.
Sunset Driver - I like it, but do think it is weaker than the tracks on Off The Wall and don't really see where it would have fit on Thriller. I guess it could have replaced Baby Be Mine, but I think that's a better song.

Streetwalker - Never been a huge fan of this one. I am thankful to Dileo for moving his butt to APOM when it came down to these two tracks! The intro is cool and I like Michael's vocals, but I just don't really feel it musically.

Cheater - The best of the bunch imo, but perhaps also the track that feels the most unfinished. Like the ad-libs at the end.

Serious Effect - It's okay, but not nearly as good as anything on Dangerous.

I would have loved Don't Be Messin' Round be finished. It's a very unfinished demo, but the idea sounds interesting to me.
Me too, interesting groove!

I think Sunset Driver is also better than It's The Falling in Love and Burn This Disco Out. To me it definitely could have been on OTW.

NOOOO!!! I am diffinately happy with Girl friend, it's the falling in love and burn this disco out. There's no room on of the wall for Sunset driver! ;) I love streetwalker, but I really would miss another part of me, I'm glad the choice went on APOM. Messin' around ... I am happy to hear I am not the only one intrigued - there's something there, that could have been big :)

I will die a happy man if I get to hear the 2001 Darkchild reworking of Cheater. To me, that is my MJ holy grail.

This. Would be very interested to hear how this would have sounded in 2001.

The song is almost perfect to me to begin with, but different era versions are always interesting to me.

NOOOO!!! I am diffinately happy with Girl friend, it's the falling in love and burn this disco out. There's no room on of the wall for Sunset driver! ;) I love streetwalker, but I really would miss another part of me, I'm glad the choice went on APOM. Messin' around ... I am happy to hear I am not the only one intrigued - there's something there, that could have been big :)
I really love ' Messin around' too-I could listen to it over and over. And I agree-don't mess around with anything on OTW-it's perfect. :)

I would dare say Sunset Driver is stronger than some of the tracks on Off the Wall. Better? Sometimes yes and sometimes no. But it's certainly a funkier track than, say, Rock With You or Girlfriend or Burn This Disco Out. My opinion though!

She Got It is one of the funkiest things Michael's ever recorded. I absolutely adore it.

"Sunset Driver" is one of greatest songs MJ ever wrote, lyrically it's so ambitious, that put's to bed any criticism of my the lyricist.

It is better than any song on the second side of OTW, by far.

She Got It and Superfly Sister are incredible! Such sexy, groovey funky cuts! Imagine him performing those songs live. The crowd would have fainted haha

SoCav;4147371 said:
Sunset Driver - I like it, but do think it is weaker than the tracks on Off The Wall and don't really see where it would have fit on Thriller. I guess it could have replaced Baby Be Mine, but I think that's a better song.

Streetwalker - Never been a huge fan of this one. I am thankful to Dileo for moving his butt to APOM when it came down to these two tracks! The intro is cool and I like Michael's vocals, but I just don't really feel it musically.

Cheater - The best of the bunch imo, but perhaps also the track that feels the most unfinished. Like the ad-libs at the end.

Serious Effect - It's okay, but not nearly as good as anything on Dangerous.

Me too, interesting groove!
--------------------------------------------------------

Question regarding Streetwalker: Have you been to one of Brad Sundberg´s seminars and heard the final 1987 version of Streetwalker? If not I think you might think different about the song. I agree with you about the version of Streetwalker that was released - I think it is good but not one of the best. BUT, when I heard the last version of it that MJ worked on after the release of Bad it is totally different and so EXTREMELY funky with that amazing bass line and some changes to the instrumentation in the chorus (if I remember correctly) that just lifts the song up to another level. I think this version of Streetwalker might actually lift it up to one of MJ´s best and funkiest songs. However, I have only heard it once at the seminar with incredible sound but as I remember it it was superb! I can´t belive that MJ chose the version we got on the Special Edition instead of the funky version when he first wanted to release it. So my opinion is:

RELEASE THE LAST FUNKY VERSION OF STREETWALKER!!!!! We need to hear it and it deserves to be released, it´s too godd to be shelved in the vault.

Mr. Norway;4148442 said:

Question regarding Streetwalker: Have you been to one of Brad Sundberg´s seminars and heard the final 1987 version of Streetwalker? If not I think you might think

RELEASE THE LAST FUNKY VERSION OF STREETWALKER!!!!! We need to hear it and it deserves to be released, it´s too godd to be shelved in the vault.

I guess if anything gets released than it will be after 2017 in the best case as Jacksons refused to give those 200 songs they have to Sony. Maybe in 2018 we will start getting the songs.

Mr. Norway;4148442 said:

Question regarding Streetwalker: Have you been to one of Brad Sundberg´s seminars and heard the final 1987 version of Streetwalker? If not I think you might think different about the song. I agree with you about the version of Streetwalker that was released - I think it is good but not one of the best. BUT, when I heard the last version of it that MJ worked on after the release of Bad it is totally different and so EXTREMELY funky with that amazing bass line and some changes to the instrumentation in the chorus (if I remember correctly) that just lifts the song up to another level. I think this version of Streetwalker might actually lift it up to one of MJ´s best and funkiest songs. However, I have only heard it once at the seminar with incredible sound but as I remember it it was superb! I can´t belive that MJ chose the version we got on the Special Edition instead of the funky version when he first wanted to release it. So my opinion is:

Is this what you're talking about:

[video=youtube;YA_cIBP-xhQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA_cIBP-xhQ[/video]

Mr. Norway;4148442 said:

Interesting. I did go to one of the seminars and if I am pretty sure Brad even played multiple demos of Streetwalker (don't remember exactly how many anymore as it's been two years). While I agree that one of the other versions was a bit stronger, I didn't think it made much of a difference at all.

Brad actually introduced the story about Streetwalker and APOM being pitted against each other during track selection by playing the Streetwalker demos and then APOM (think it was the early version - though I attended an event the evening before the seminar too so maybe heard it there), and I distinctly remember thinking "oh man, this is so much funkier and better" when APOM came on. Apparently most people in the room felt the same way, because Brad asked us to vote and was surprised that a pretty big majority (I'd say around 75%) preferred APOM. He was surprised because he preferred Streetwalker himself and said he remembered driving to and from the studio during early and late hours listening to that song.

Even though it's not unfinished, technically it is an outtake since it was only on the BOTDF: HIStory In the Mix release, Michael would've ****ed that stage the hell UP had he performed Superfly Sister.

"Sunset Driver" is one of greatest songs MJ ever wrote, lyrically it's so ambitious, that put's to bed any criticism of my the lyricist.

It is better than any song on the second side of OTW, by far.
Wait a minute...Im sorry if Im uninformed,but Michael Jackson wrote Sunset Driver?:0

Back