MJ One Night Only HBO Special??

My guess is that MJ chickened out.

So, I guess it didn't matter that he was indeed hospitalized. It didn't matter that he was going through a divorce. It didn't matter he had other projects lining up. It didn't matter he was to start the HIStory tour in a few months. It didn't matter he was going through a lot personnally.

Since he's Michael Jackson, if he didn't give us a performance he's supposed to give, he chickened out. Okay, I'd like to see how it's like to walk in his shoes for just one minute.

There are many things in his life that I wish would turn out differently. I wish his car never broke down and he never met the Chandlers. I wish the Pepsi accident never took place.

Not reschedulling this HBO special is probably the last on my list.

So, I guess it didn't matter that he was indeed hospitalized. It didn't matter that he was going through a divorce. It didn't matter he had other projects lining up. It didn't matter he was to start the HIStory tour in a few months. It didn't matter he was going through a lot personnally.

Since he's Michael Jackson, if he didn't give us a performance he's supposed to give, he chickened out. Okay, I'd like to see how it's like to walk in his shoes for just one minute.

There are many things in his life that I wish would turn out differently. I wish his car never broke down and he never met the Chandlers. I wish the Pepsi accident never took place.

I agree....I remember when I found out he had collapsed....I didn't even care about the show; I just wanted to be sure he was ok.....

We'll never know for sure, but the fact he then proceded to do the HIStory tour, which was entirely lip-synched, certainly indicates to me that he could have gotten very nervous about the idea of doing the HBO special, which was meant to be live and where his vocal performance would have been heavily scrutinized. One Night Only was supposed to be his "Judy Garland at Carnegie Hall" moment : an intimate, acoustic live show where his vocals would be front and center. No special effects, no tanks on stage, no explosions : just MJ and a microphone.

Besides, if he really wanted to do the HBO special, he could have rescheduled it at some later date.

We'll never know for sure, but the fact he then proceded to do the HIStory tour, which was entirely lip-synched, certainly indicates to me that he could have gotten very nervous about the idea of doing the HBO special, which was meant to be live and where his vocal performance would have been heavily scrutinized. One Night Only was supposed to be his "Judy Garland at Carnegie Hall" moment : an intimate, acoustic live show where his vocals would be front and center. No special effects, no tanks on stage, no explosions : just MJ and a microphone.

Besides, if he really wanted to do the HBO special, he could have rescheduled it at some later date.

Mike had many "Judy Garland at Carnegie Hall" moments in his life . You are right though ,you don't know what happened then. But you do have a thing in jumping in conclusion when it comes to Mike. I think that you should do a little reseach on what was going on in Mikes life that period and maybe you will find your answer. Or maybe you just want to say something else regarding Mike and his singing voice and you just "chicken out" ? Just saying...

Does anyone know if the rehearsals were filmed ? MJ used to film everything at the time

I am pretty sure all rehearsals are filmed.

Like BAD, Dangerous, HIStory and TII were.

Hope we will see them someday. - I LOVE DWT rehearsals.

The show was rehearsed and ready to go, Michael was ready. It was going to be quite theatrical, these reports of the show being all acoustic and stuff dont fit. there were big lights, orchestra, tons of Dancers. Michaels songs were re-choreographed by the best choreographers of the time. I am told we would have seen a different persona of Michael, but unfortunately he collapsed during the rehearsals of one song (I wont mention which one). Thing is you have to remember was Michaels lupus, he found it more difficult to dance and sing live as time went on, So I dont think its the fact MJ got nervous on the HIStory tour special because of the HBO special and lip-synced, I think it was more of a learning curve since he did Collapse rehearsing for a one night show, I think he thought safe to not sing to much on HIStory tour.

As for rescheduling, we dont know, he could have been too busy. he could have thought the moment had passed, either way hopefully we will see the footage some day :)

Not alot of people know but MJ collapsed during the Bad tour aswell, his performances are exhausting.

Thanks Birchey. No offense to anyone. Sometimes, it seems people forget Michael was a human being like you and I who have personal issues, such as health and relationship issues, to deal with. He wasn't a dancing and singing machine.

this show would have been epic! everything was rehearsed as Birchey said so im hopeful tha one day we'll see the rehearsals . This Time Around live would have been awesome!

I hope we get to see it too. MJs rehearsals are better than anyones finished product

The HBO show was, indeed, going to be a stripped down version - hence, "Just the man, music, etc" line. The most spectacular the show was going to be was in having a set scene backdrop and threatrical lights, but no pyros except for the intro of the show.

I see hardly anyone here knows why HBO was never rescheduled. However, I do and have posted that elsewhere - but it was not connected to the HIStory tour or anything. You also won't find Marcel Marceau's revealing interview about it from 1997 online anywhere - I might well post it someday.

But there's no evidence for lupus as per autopsy report - that's for another thread.

Birchey, can you tell us the defo set list for the show?

06/10/1999 Quote from Marcel Marceau

In February of 1996, legendary mime Marcel Marceau granted an interview to HIStory Magazine. Here is an excerpt of that article where Marcel Marceau talks about the HBO concert he was to do with Michael in December of 1995:

"The rehearsals for the concert went remarkably well, actually. I was there for them all: there were about 20 dancers doing these really rowdy moves. Michael Jackson was surrounded by a number of dancers, black dancers, what you could call street dancers essentially. Watching these dance numbers made a real impression on me: they were an expression of angst through the medium of violence and rowdiness. Michael chose to intertwine the poetry of Childhood into these dances.
From the very beginning, he wanted me to display, in this song, the yearning of his youth. There is, in particular, a passage where he talks about pirates, of conquest and kings. To make the transformation from a pirate to a king on stage, there is only mime. There are various elements of attitude for this; mime is, after all, an art of metamorphosis. It's difficult for a dancer to do so. A mime would do it through attitude.
When Childhood begins, Michael is on the left-hand side of the stage and I'm on the right. He begins to sing, and then the camera swings toward me. I mime the themes to the song. When he says he's searching for his childhood, I run in place. The images come through very powerfully; mime is a way of condensing concepts and images..

The special was not rescheduled due to HBO management changes and insurance reasons, I believe.

^^^ could be. I think there is a very good practical reason for it not being resceduled - but the reason could be many

Birchey, can you tell us the defo set list for the show?

wow...imagining that awww!

Edit: referring to the Quote:
06/10/1999 Quote from Marcel Marceau

In February of 1996, legendary mime Marcel Marceau granted an interview to HIStory Magazine. Here is an excerpt of that article where Marcel Marceau talks about the HBO concert he was to do with Michael in December of 1995:

"The rehearsals for the concert went remarkably well, actually. I was there for them all: there were about 20 dancers doing these really rowdy moves. Michael Jackson was surrounded by a number of dancers, black dancers, what you could call street dancers essentially. Watching these dance numbers made a real impression on me: they were an expression of angst through the medium of violence and rowdiness. Michael chose to intertwine the poetry of Childhood into these dances.
From the very beginning, he wanted me to display, in this song, the yearning of his youth. There is, in particular, a passage where he talks about pirates, of conquest and kings. To make the transformation from a pirate to a king on stage, there is only mime. There are various elements of attitude for this; mime is, after all, an art of metamorphosis. It's difficult for a dancer to do so. A mime would do it through attitude.
When Childhood begins, Michael is on the left-hand side of the stage and I'm on the right. He begins to sing, and then the camera swings toward me. I mime the themes to the song. When he says he's searching for his childhood, I run in place. The images come through very powerfully; mime is a way of condensing concepts and images..

Maybe there's no footage around because MJ collapsed during one, seeing that would be awkward.
By the way, does anyone know in which song he collapsed?

Maybe there's no footage around because MJ collapsed during one, seeing that would be awkward.
By the way, does anyone know in which song he collapsed?

I think Birchey does, but we don't really need to know. I reckon it will come out soon, like the footage from the Pepsi advert. Not the best footage in the world, and personally wouldn't want anything else released like the Pepsi footage because, it was a big impact on Michael, when the drugs started. :(

Last edited:
Is it true that the whole album HIStory would be performed? 'Cause that would be amazing, and I just can't even imagine that... Money, TTA, TJ, they all sound unlikely to be a live performance to me haha

You also won't find Marcel Marceau's revealing interview about it from 1997 online anywhere

This one?

in February of 1996, legendary mime Marcel Marceau granted an interview to HIStory Magazine. Here is an excerpt of that article where Marcel Marceau talks about the HBO concert he was to do with Michael in December of 1995:
When Childhood begins, Michael is on the left-hand side of the stage and I'm on the right. He begins to sing, and then the camera swings toward me. I mime the themes to the song. When he says he's searching for his childhood, I run in place. The images come through very powerfully; mime is a way of condensing concepts and images..."

I have the magazine upstairs in box, will go digging soon and have a read :)

Michael said in an interview for the BLACK AND WHITE MAG they recorded everything from those rehearsals.

And I believe, and correct me If I'm wrong, he collapsed during BLACK OR WHITE.

This one?

in February of 1996, legendary mime Marcel Marceau granted an interview to HIStory Magazine. Here is an excerpt of that article where Marcel Marceau talks about the HBO concert he was to do with Michael in December of 1995:
When Childhood begins, Michael is on the left-hand side of the stage and I'm on the right. He begins to sing, and then the camera swings toward me. I mime the themes to the song. When he says he's searching for his childhood, I run in place. The images come through very powerfully; mime is a way of condensing concepts and images..."

I have the magazine upstairs in box, will go digging soon and have a read :)

I posted that above Birchey :p

Back