MJJC Legacy Project - Planting Trees in Michael's Honour

Re: MJJC LEGACY INITIATIVE - Planting Trees in Michael's Honour

Just giving this a eensy teensy bump!

I'm hoping to get my xmas money from my great aunt & uncle this weekend they said it should be then so I will donate then :)

Keep the trees coming guys, do it for Michael!!!

I'm so pleased about this initiative, it's great to be able to do something so positive. (I received my acknowledgement for a donation this week, confirmed allocated to the mj fund.)

I know there is a separate 'poetry' thread elsewhere, but I came across this and thought it was very inspirational (2nd verse only quoted below, plus link to the whole poem):

Go Plant a Tree by Ella Wheeler Wilcox

Nature has many marvels; but a tree
Seems more than marvellous. It is divine.
So generous, so tender, so benign.
Not garrulous like the rivers; and yet free
In pleasant converse with the winds and birds;
Oh! privilege beyond explaining words,
To plant a tree

http://famouspoetsandpoems.com/poets/ella_wheeler_wilcox/poems/17149

Thank you for the poem! It is very apt to the work that we are doing.

That is such a lovely poem!

What exactly do you think is silly?

Right now governments around the world are developing carbon cap and trade programs which will limit carbon emissions. Forests consume enormous amounts of carbon dioxide. In all of these programs those who produce carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases will be able to buy credits to offset production. Since forests consume enormous amounts of carbon dioxide they will be used as credits. So, planting trees is one of the best ways to offset greenhouse gas production. Totally backed by scientific research. Not silly at all!
I studied geography and I know the purpose of trees and forests and relationship with green house effect. I'm just saying this is a silly way of doing things. The mining industry destroy a forest the size of a soccer field faster than you could plant a tree so What's the point?

I'm gonna do this for my b-day soon.

I studied geography and I know the purpose of trees and forests and relationship with green house effect. I'm just saying this is a silly way of doing things. The mining industry destroy a forest the size of a soccer field faster than you could plant a tree so What's the point?

What?

What kind of logic is that?

Children are dying all the time because of poverty, war etc.

Does this mean we shouldn't try to save/help some children because the death rates are too high and we'd be slow?

^^ :flowers:

claire64;2432760 said:
I requested my donation went to MJ memorial and got an email back this week confirming it will go there. i'm so happy to have done this, i only donated $10 and that only worked out to be £7.16 . a bargain i say... :heart:

Good to know. :flowers: Can't wait to find out what the first month's tally will be.

myosotis;2444068 said:
I'm so pleased about this initiative, it's great to be able to do something so positive. (I received my acknowledgement for a donation this week, confirmed allocated to the mj fund.)

I know there is a separate 'poetry' thread elsewhere, but I came across this and thought it was very inspirational (2nd verse only quoted below, plus link to the whole poem):

Go Plant a Tree by Ella Wheeler Wilcox

Nature has many marvels; but a tree
Seems more than marvellous. It is divine.
So generous, so tender, so benign.
Not garrulous like the rivers; and yet free
In pleasant converse with the winds and birds;
Oh! privilege beyond explaining words,
To plant a tree

http://famouspoetsandpoems.com/poets/ella_wheeler_wilcox/poems/17149

Wonderful poem. Thanks for sharing it. ITA with Nancii. It's a perfect reflection of what the project is about. :yes:

Might be a little off topic but shouldn't we have a legacy project sub-forum? And we can all post ideas?

Might be a little off topic but shouldn't we have a legacy project sub-forum? And we can all post ideas?

I agree... it would be so much easier to keep track of all of the charitable/ conservation efforts under one ' we do it for love' -type sub forum....

that is an absolutely wonderful initiative and will make a donation/plant some trees as soon as I can, i'm kind of short of money these days...

What?

What kind of logic is that?

Children are dying all the time because of poverty, war etc.

Does this mean we shouldn't try to save/help some children because the death rates are too high and we'd be slow?
That's a weird comparision! How could you compare kids to trees?
I just personally think it's meaningless and a waste of money. The money could be spent on something more meaningful like saving the children IMHO.

DanceOfZenab1994;2452471 said:
I think it´s a good idea.
I suppose there are members who doesn´t have much money and can´t plant trees even if they want to.
But you can click to give,for example to protect the rainforest.
There are other ways to give for free in the make a change-thread but it isn´t easy to find it.

That's a weird comparision! How could you compare kids to trees?
I just personally think it's meaningless and a waste of money. The money could be spent on something more meaningful like saving the children IMHO.

What point is there to saving the children if we destory their world?

bumperooni-o! :bump

This would be a wonderful Christmas gift for the planet!

Here is another idea for planting trees. Go to http://www.arborday.org/replanting/index.cfm, which is the Arbor Day Foundation website. You can plant trees in memory of Michael. Quick instructions:

1. Select the above link, you'll see an option "Plant Trees in Memory".
  2. You'll see a menu on the left side, select "Give Trees in Memory".
  3. After step #2, you'll see a picture of the outside and inside of a card that is created when you donate. Select "Order Now" at the bottom of the page.
  4. Follow the process to order. Fill out the fields as appropriate. You have options of where you'd like the card sent. I had it sent to myself so that I can see it and then send it off to the Jackson family. If you give $25.00, 25 trees will be planted
  5. When you donate, the money is used to replenish our national forests. The forest will benefit from your donation will be displayed as you go through the process.
We can address replenishing our forests on multiple fronts.

"I'll never let you part, for you're always in my heart..." :angel:
The Michael Jackson fan community continues to 'make that change'!

We are pleased to announce our first official initiative - Plant A Tree In Michael's Honour!!!

We must first acknowledge that this idea was first mooted by Chamone on the KOP board and brought to our attention by Wendy 2004! Thanks for this guys!

As Michael fans we know how strongly Michael felt about the planet, its environment and its people and the MJJC Legacy Project have established a Michael Jackson Memorial Fund with the Nature Conservancy in support of the their Plant A Billion Trees project.

The Nature Conservancy, the leading conservation organisation, is committed to protecting ecologically important lands and waters. They address threats to conservation, including climate change, partnering with indigenous communities, businesses and governments.

Check them out at: http://www.nature.org or http://www.plantabillion.org/

Fans can choose to donate as little as $10 US for 10 trees.

IMPORTANT: WHEN MAKING A DONATION, PLEASE BE SURE TO USE THIS REFERENCE NO. 1207 5587. THIS IS THE NUMBER SPECIFICALLY FOR THE MICHAEL JACKSON FUND.

To donate you can:

1] visit their site (see above).
PLEASE NOTE - if you choose to use this option you will need to send a separate email to natureconservancy@mailca.custhelp.com, providing them with your RECEIPT CODE and the REFERENCE NUMBER for Michael's fund

2] call them at 1-800-628-6860 (be sure to give them the reference number)

3] post a cheque/postal order to:
Nature Conservancy
P O Box 6016
Albert Lea
Minnesota, 56007
U.S.A.
(be sure to attach a note with the reference number)

The Nature Conversancy will keep a record of the number of trees are donated in Michael's honour and the Legacy team will be able to give a monthly update! But when you have donated, feel free to post here in the thread :D.

So, ready, set, GO MJ fans - let's show the world how it's done :punk:

Nancii

I got a letter from save the children today and it says that climatechanges is the biggest threat for children today.Natural catastrophes are childrens worst enemy and the catastrophes are 4 times more now than 40 years ago.

By planting trees we are helping the environment and children too.

I got a letter from save the children today and it says that climatechanges is the biggest threat for children today.Natural catastrophes are childrens worst enemy and the catastrophes are 4 times more now than 40 years ago.

By planting trees we are helping the environment and children too.

Couldn't agree more! Thank you for sharing, MIST. :flowers:

There is a lot of evil in the world, but if that prevents us from doing good, then the evil has already won.

Well said!

I donated yesterday to Arbor Day Foundation for "Plant trees in Memory of Michael". My number for donation is 29312376-447562. I wanted to donate to The Nature Conservansy to Michael's fund but they couldn't accept my debit banking card.. :(

I wanted to give Michael some christmastrees but my card isn´t accepted.
I managed to donate trees in Africa .Every tree is good for the environment and these help families there too.

This is awesome about Arbor Day. :) I didn't have any problems with my card. That is strange. Did they tell you this?

"I'll never let you part, for you're always in my heart" :angel:

Well said!

I donated yesterday to Arbor Day Foundation for "Plant trees in Memory of Michael". My number is 29312376-447562. I wanted to donate to The Nature Conservansy to Michael's fund but they couldn't accept my debit banking card.. :(

I just got the wrong card.
I tried to donate several times to Unicef for MJ fundraising page and there the card is right but it refuse to give something anyway."Something went wrong.."
When I donated trees in Africa I donated direct through my bank and didnt use the card.

this is great idea!
done
I like to his name for the world!
is the project time limit?

The project will probably come to a close when they have been able to plant a billion trees. You still have time to contribute!

Guys,

I can't donate anything online. :(. I'm so sorry. I'm 15 (almost 16) and my father won't let me do it online :angry:

HOWEVER...

I've been giving money to charity in the memory of Michael. I gave some last week too.

I hope thats okay.

DanceOfZenab1994;2495752 said:
Guys,

I can't donate anything online. :(. I'm so sorry. I'm 15 (almost 16) and my father won't let me do it online :angry:

HOWEVER...

I've been giving money to charity in the memory of Michael. I gave some last week too.

I hope thats okay.
I think it´s good that you do something.

Back