MOTOWN 50th Anniversary - Michael & The Jackson 5

Re: MOTOWN 50 Album: THE 50 SONGS THAT HAD MOTOWN DANCING IN THE STREET

Thanks so much for the article and tracklist guys. Good to see MJ / J5 on there 3 times. :D

Re: MOTOWN 50 Album: THE 50 SONGS THAT HAD MOTOWN DANCING IN THE STREET

that one has

16. Michael Jackson - You've Got A Friend on the 3rd disc!!

Is that a special edition??

Hmm...:scratch:maybe it is a special edition because that list has more than 50 songs... this is the list for the UK fan voted collection, and I like it better than the one for the USA :) >>>

UK version:

Marvin Gaye – I Heard It Through The Grapevine
Diana Ross – Ain’t No Mountain High Enough
The Supremes – You Can’t Hurry Love
Marvin Gaye – What’s Going On
Stevie Wonder - Superstition
Diana Ross – I’m Still Waiting
Martha Reeves & The Vandellas – Dancing In The Street
The Supremes – Baby Love
Smokey Robinson & The Miracles – The Tears Of A Clown
10. Jackson 5 – I Want You Back
Four Tops – Reach Out, I’ll Be There
The Temptations – Papa Was A Rollin’ Stone
Smokey Robinson & The Miracles – The Tracks Of My Tears
Lionel Richie & Diana Ross – Endless Love
Marvin Gaye – Let’s Get It On
The Temptations – My Girl
Jimmy Ruffin – What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted
The Supremes – Stop! In The Name Of Love
The Elgins – Heaven Must Have Sent You
Diana Ross – Upside Down
Stevie Wonder - Masterblaster
22. Jackson 5 – ABC
Four Tops – I Can’t Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch)
Commodores – Easy
Diana Ross & The Supremes – Reflections
The Temptations – Get Ready
Lionel Richie – All Night Long (All Night)
Diana Ross – Love Hangover
R. Dean Taylor – There’s A Ghost In My House
Edwin Starr – War
Mary Wells – My Guy
Stevie Wonder – Sir Duke
33. Michael Jackson – Got To Be There
Commodores – Nightshift
The Velvelettes – Needle In A Haystack
Martha Reeves & The Vandellas – Nowhere To Run
Stevie Wonder – Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I’m Yours)
Rick James – Super Freak
Commodores – Brick House
The Temptations – Treat Her Like A Lady
Martha Reeves & The Vandellas – Jimmy Mack
The Miracles– Love Machine
The Isley Brothers – This Old Heart Of Mine (Is Weak For You)
Frank Wilson – Do I Love You (Indeed I Do)
Lionel Richie – My Destiny
Marvin Gaye & Kim Weston – It Takes Two
Smokey Robinson – Being With You
Diana Ross & Marvin Gaye – You Are Everything
The Contours – Do You Love Me
Jr. Walker & The All Stars – Shotgun

http://www.mjjcommunity.net/forum/www.pollthepeople.com/motown50http://www.pollthepeople.com/books/?pid=4

Last edited:
MOTOWN 50th Anniversary FYI: The official celebration kicks off Tuesday (Dec. 9)

Okay, there's NO WAY for Michael & J5 not to be included in this...
the only questions are, how much and will it be LIVE or Memorex...???

The sad reality is that so many of the artists from the early years have passed away now, several of them just this year.

Gordy Guiding Motown's 50th Anniversary

62643-gordy_barry_01l.jpg

Berry Gordy

spacer.gif
December 05, 2008 04:20 PM ET
spacer.gif

Gary Graff, Detroit

With archival releases, documentaries and even a Broadway musical on tap, Berry Gordy, Jr., says there will be nowhere to run and nowhere to hide from the celebration of Motown's 50th anniversary during the coming two years.

Gordy, who founded the Motown empire after securing an $800 loan from his family on Jan. 12, 1959, tells Billboard.com that "I've been fighting to protect the legacy for 50 years, and now it seems that after 50 years we can go and talk about the real deal, what really happened ... and how it happened, my story and everything that goes with it. And I'm just thrilled that I'm here to enjoy now what I couldn't enjoy while I was doing it."

The official Motown 50th celebration kicks off Tuesday (Dec. 9) with the release of "Motown: The Complete No. 1's,", a 10-disc set housed in a package designed to look like the company's original Hitsville U.S.A. headquarters in Detroit. Gordy and former Motown staffer Suzanne DePasse, who won a 1983 Emmy Award for the Motown 25th anniversary TV special, are also producing a documentary about the company that's due to roll out in September.

"It's about me and ... not only what I did and how I did it but how I felt doing it and what it was that happened, from my standpoint," explains Gordy. Among the footage is a videotaped session of one of the company's famed weekly Quality Control meetings, at which staffers argued over whether or not to release the Temptations' "My Girl" as a single.

A Broadway musical about Motown is due to open in 2010, and Gordy says there will also be "long-form, multi-part videos" about the company's history "because there's so much to tell. The documentary is just a two-hour thing."
CM8ShowAd("Middle");

Universal Music Enterprises, which handles Motown's archival releases, is also planning to support the activity with online podcasts and other special features. More retrospective titles are expected to come out over the course of the celebration, and the Motown Historical Museum in Detroit is planning a series of special events for 2009, including an In Their Own Words series with Motown alumni that will kick off Jan. 12, a Marvin Gaye exhibit in April and a pumped-up version of its annual gala and concert in November.

"It's just a unique situation," Gordy notes, "and I'm the major recipient of that now because I can look back. It's a different kind of enjoyment. I enjoyed making the records. I enjoyed dealing with the people. Now I can look at it a different way and say, 'OK, we did it. We really did it.'"

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/gordy-guiding-motown-s-50th-anniversary-1003920014.story

Re: MOTOWN 50th Anniversary - FYI: The official celebration kicks off Tuesday (Dec. 9)

^^ Mo, it ain't gonna happen. Motown's not planning no anniversary televised gala so I doubt it. Maybe Jermaine will talk in one of the documentaries. ^_^

Re: MOTOWN 50th Anniversary - FYI: The official celebration kicks off Tuesday (Dec. 9)

So many great songs and artists! :)
Just voted!

^^ Mo, it ain't gonna happen. Motown's not planning no anniversary televised gala so I doubt it. Maybe Jermaine will talk in one of the documentaries. ^_^

We shall see Mr. Trouble...

Michael was VERY specific when he disputed Jermaine's claim of a reunion.
He said he has no plans to RECORD or TOUR with them...
he did NOT say PERFORM. ;)

Keep HOPE alive! :praying

It may not be televised. But, it might be one of those
"long-form, multi-part videos" or online podcasts and other special features :girl_whistle:

:cheeky:

So many great songs and artists! :)
Just voted!

Voting already ended... the track lists are in posts on Nov. 16th & 18th

Well, it would appear that Motown is planning a good number of things for its 50th Anniversary and one thing is certain: MJ has a great deal of respect for Berry Gordy and given that the Jackson Five is one of very few groups whose original members are still among us, I'm sure that they will play a good role in next year's festivities.

i would welcome a motown 50 for sure.

The official Motown 50th celebration kicks off Tuesday (Dec. 9) with the release of "Motown:
The Complete No. 1's,", a 10-disc set housed in a package designed to look like the company's original Hitsville U.S.A. headquarters in Detroit.

This set is priced at $170.00.
bilde

Last edited:
I have birthday january 15th, so I hope I'll get this one!

banner.jpg

Borders Celebrates Motown's 50th Anniversary

Retailer to mark music milestone with special appearances by Motown artists in Los Angeles and Detroit, in-store displays and unique content on Borders.com

Read more >>> http://sev.prnewswire.com/retail/200...8012009-1.html

The Jackson 5 @ Borders >>>
http://www.bordersmedia.com/motown/biojackson.asp

Michael Jackson
@ Borders
>>> http://www.bordersmedia.com/motown/biomichael.asp

You know...I think that's the first biographical article on MJ I've read that doesn't mention allegations or controversies. That brightened up my day.

"In the wake of his astonishing success Motown reached back into their legendary vault for the releases of the Michael Jackson albums One Day In Your Life (from which the title track was a minor hit) and Farewell My Summer Love, which featured unreleased tracks overdubbed with eighties instrumentation. Later in the decade Motown released two more of the same: Looking Back to Yesterday, with newly discovered masters from the early 1970s, and The Original Soul of Michael Jackson, a mix of released and unreleased tracks with modern overdubs."

That reminded me, I still need to listen to those. Nice find :)

Jan 26 2009 | The Complete Motown Singles Vol. 11B: 1971 (with the single versions of Got To Be There, Maria (You Were The Only One), Sugar Daddy, I'm So Happy)

Jan 27 2009 | Jackson 5 - Love Songs

TRACKLIST:
1. I'll Be There (Third Album)
2. Darling Dear (Third Album)
3. I Found That Girl (ABC)
4. Can You Remember (Diana Ross Presents The Jackson 5)
5. All I Do Is Think Of You (Moving Violation)
6. Never Can Say Goodbye (Maybe Tomorrow)
7. Breezy (Moving Violation)
8. To Know (Lookin' Through The Windows)
9. Touch (Skywriter)
10. I'm So Happy (Anthology)
11. Through Thick And Thin (Moving Violation)
12. It All Begins And Ends With Love (Dancing Machine)

Feb 2 2009 | Michael Jackson - Hello World: The Complete Motown Solo Albums (re mastered edition of all the Michael Jackson Motown solo albums)

Mar 2009 | Jackson 5 - ABC (new edition of the original vinyl album, from the Back To Black collection)

Mar 30 2009 | Ain't No Sunshine / The Love You Save (collector's 7'' single edition - limited to 2,000 copies - included in a batch of 5 Motown 7'' singles as part of a series of 25 7'' singles released in 2009 in the UK)

6/02/2009
1. Barrett Strong – Money / The Contours - Do You Love Me
2. Mary Wells - My Guy / Carolyn Crawford - My Smile Is Just A Frown
3. Brenda Holloway - Just Look What You’ve Done / The Supremes - Love Is like An Itching In My Heart
4. The Velvelettes - Lonely Lonely Girl Am I / The Marvelettes - I'll Keep Holding On
5. Four Tops - Something About You / The Temptations - Get Ready

30/03/2009
6. Marv Johnson - I'll Pick A Rose / Jimmy Ruffin – Gonna Give Her All The Love I’ve Got
7. Martha and the Vandellas - No One There / Gladys Knight - Help Me Make It Through The Night
8. Edwin Starr – My Weakness Is You / Chris Clark – Love’s Gone Bad
9. The Undisputed Truth - Smiling Faces Sometimes / The Supremes - Nathan Jones
10. Michael Jackson - Ain't No Sunshine / The Jackson 5 - The Love You Save

25/05/2009
11. Diana Ross - I'm Still Waiting / Thelma Houston - Don't Leave Me This Way
12. Marvin and Tammi - You Ain't Living Until You're Loving / Marvin and Diana - My Mistake
13. Rick James - Super Freak / Teena Marie - I'm A Sucker For Your Love
14. Marvin Gaye - Love Starved Heart / Frank Wilson - Do I Love You
15. Stevie Wonder - I Was Made To Love Her / Shorty Long - Here Comes The Judge

27/07/2009
16. Junior Walker - Walk In The Night / The Miracles - Love Machine
17. Smokey Robinson - Cruisin' / Charlene – I’ve Never Been To Me
18. Yvonne Fair - It Should Have Been Me / Frankie Valli - The Night
19. The Miracles - Come Round Here (I’m The One You Need)/ Tammi Terrell - Come On And See Me
20. Billy Eckstine - I Wonder Why / Barbara McNair - You're Gonna Love My Baby

26/10/2009
21. The Detroit Spinners - It's A Shame / Chuck Jackson - What Am I Gonna Do
22. Isley Brothers - Tell Me It's Just A Rumour / Elgins - Put Yourself In My Place
23. R Dean Taylor - Indiana Wants Me / David Ruffin - Walk Away From Love
24. Commodores - Three Times A Lady / Lionel Richie - Truly
25. Supremes and Temptations - I'm Gonna Make You Love Me / Supremes and The Four Top - You Gotta Have Love In Your Heart

Apr 13 2009 | The Complete Motown Singles Vol. 12 (with the single versions of Little Bitty Pretty One, If I Have To Move A Mountain, Lookin' Through The Windows, Love Song, Corner Of The Sky, To Know, Rockin' Robin, Love Is Here And Now You're Gone, I Wanna Be Where You Are, We've Got A Good Thing Going, Ben, You Can Cry On My Shoulder).

i cant waiit till im able to get mine
Altough appernately it cost like $129.99 here in australia!

Jan 26 2009 | The Complete Motown Singles Vol. 11B: 1971 (with the single versions of Got To Be There, Maria (You Were The Only One), Sugar Daddy, I'm So Happy)

Jan 27 2009 | Jackson 5 - Love Songs

TRACKLIST:
1. I'll Be There (Third Album)
2. Darling Dear (Third Album)
3. I Found That Girl (ABC)
4. Can You Remember (Diana Ross Presents The Jackson 5)
5. All I Do Is Think Of You (Moving Violation)
6. Never Can Say Goodbye (Maybe Tomorrow)
7. Breezy (Moving Violation)
8. To Know (Lookin' Through The Windows)
9. Touch (Skywriter)
10. I'm So Happy (Anthology)
11. Through Thick And Thin (Moving Violation)
12. It All Begins And Ends With Love (Dancing Machine)

Feb 2 2009 | Michael Jackson - Hello World: The Complete Motown Solo Albums (re mastered edition of all the Michael Jackson Motown solo albums)

Mar 2009 | Jackson 5 - ABC (new edition of the original vinyl album, from the Back To Black collection)

Mar 30 2009 | Ain't No Sunshine / The Love You Save (collector's 7'' single edition - limited to 2,000 copies - included in a batch of 5 Motown 7'' singles as part of a series of 25 7'' singles released in 2009 in the UK)

6/02/2009
1. Barrett Strong – Money / The Contours - Do You Love Me
2. Mary Wells - My Guy / Carolyn Crawford - My Smile Is Just A Frown
3. Brenda Holloway - Just Look What You’ve Done / The Supremes - Love Is like An Itching In My Heart
4. The Velvelettes - Lonely Lonely Girl Am I / The Marvelettes - I'll Keep Holding On
5. Four Tops - Something About You / The Temptations - Get Ready

30/03/2009
6. Marv Johnson - I'll Pick A Rose / Jimmy Ruffin – Gonna Give Her All The Love I’ve Got
7. Martha and the Vandellas - No One There / Gladys Knight - Help Me Make It Through The Night
8. Edwin Starr – My Weakness Is You / Chris Clark – Love’s Gone Bad
9. The Undisputed Truth - Smiling Faces Sometimes / The Supremes - Nathan Jones
10. Michael Jackson - Ain't No Sunshine / The Jackson 5 - The Love You Save

25/05/2009
11. Diana Ross - I'm Still Waiting / Thelma Houston - Don't Leave Me This Way
12. Marvin and Tammi - You Ain't Living Until You're Loving / Marvin and Diana - My Mistake
13. Rick James - Super Freak / Teena Marie - I'm A Sucker For Your Love
14. Marvin Gaye - Love Starved Heart / Frank Wilson - Do I Love You
15. Stevie Wonder - I Was Made To Love Her / Shorty Long - Here Comes The Judge

27/07/2009
16. Junior Walker - Walk In The Night / The Miracles - Love Machine
17. Smokey Robinson - Cruisin' / Charlene – I’ve Never Been To Me
18. Yvonne Fair - It Should Have Been Me / Frankie Valli - The Night
19. The Miracles - Come Round Here (I’m The One You Need)/ Tammi Terrell - Come On And See Me
20. Billy Eckstine - I Wonder Why / Barbara McNair - You're Gonna Love My Baby

26/10/2009
21. The Detroit Spinners - It's A Shame / Chuck Jackson - What Am I Gonna Do
22. Isley Brothers - Tell Me It's Just A Rumour / Elgins - Put Yourself In My Place
23. R Dean Taylor - Indiana Wants Me / David Ruffin - Walk Away From Love
24. Commodores - Three Times A Lady / Lionel Richie - Truly
25. Supremes and Temptations - I'm Gonna Make You Love Me / Supremes and The Four Top - You Gotta Have Love In Your Heart

Apr 13 2009 | The Complete Motown Singles Vol. 12 (with the single versions of Little Bitty Pretty One, If I Have To Move A Mountain, Lookin' Through The Windows, Love Song, Corner Of The Sky, To Know, Rockin' Robin, Love Is Here And Now You're Gone, I Wanna Be Where You Are, We've Got A Good Thing Going, Ben, You Can Cry On My Shoulder).

WOW i didn't know that

Yeah thanks mjtributepage for sharing that.

r329290_1482270.jpg

Michael Jackson (L), Stevie Wonder (R) and Berry Gory's sister, Esther Gordy Edwards (C).

Motown turns 50: proud of musical, social legacy

Posted Sun Jan 11, 2009

Motown has always been about more than music.

As the soul empire turns 50 on Monday, its founders are looking back at its brand of music dubbed the "Motown sound" that remains popular today and the record company's role in breaking down racial barriers in America.

Founded in 1959 in Detroit by songwriter and entrepreneur Berry Gordy using a $1,142 family loan, Motown plans a year-long celebration with record releases, documentaries and exhibitions. There is even talk of a Broadway musical in 2010.

Originally called Tamla and operating out of a two-storey house, Gordy changed the name to Motown to reflect the auto industry that dominated Detroit.

He often likened his method of grooming black talent to an automobile assembly line that transformed plain metal frames into gleaming motorcars.

His management style, which involved weekly "quality control" meetings and lessons in deportment for Motown stars, chafed with some of his biggest acts. But, especially early on, it worked.

In the 1960s and 1970s, Gordy helped to make stars of the likes of Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Smokey Robinson, Diana Ross, the Supremes, the Temptations and the Jackson 5...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/01/11/2463172.htm?section=features

^^awwwww, Hitsville! I bet people have craaaazy memories about that place :yes:
Motown has a great legacy

Msmo do u of when that photo of mike & stevie wonder was taken?

No it was the post-HIStory era. MJ and Stevie visited Hitsville in '98. MJ and his brothers actually did record their entire first album in Hitsville with the exception of "I Want You Back", which was recorded in Hitsville West in L.A. while the original FUNK BROTHERS remained in Detroit, however, later on, they did play with MJ (James Jamerson, Uriel Jones, Eddie Willis, Joe Messina, etc.) and the Jackson 5 in the early 1970s before they retired to Detroit.

No it was the post-HIStory era. MJ and Stevie visited Hitsville in '98. MJ and his brothers actually did record their entire first album in Hitsville with the exception of "I Want You Back", which was recorded in Hitsville West in L.A. while the original FUNK BROTHERS remained in Detroit, however, later on, they did play with MJ (James Jamerson, Uriel Jones, Eddie Willis, Joe Messina, etc.) and the Jackson 5 in the early 1970s before they retired to Detroit.

Thanx troubleman! :)

Back