MOTOWN 50th Anniversary - Michael & The Jackson 5

Re: MOTOWN 50 Album: VOTE for YOUR top MJ / J5 tracks! + MONTHLY releases, BONUS tracks & DVD's plan

i vote for Mj-ben for number 1 :yess: i love that song ben :heart:

Re: MOTOWN 50 Album: VOTE for YOUR top MJ / J5 tracks! + MONTHLY releases, BONUS tracks & DVD's plan

What kind of DVD will this be? does anyone know?

What kind of DVD will this be? does anyone know?

A series of Classic Motown TV Specials and "Inside Motown" a documentary on how the company was built.

http://motown50.com/#/news

Current top 11

1 Jackson 5
I Want You Back

2 Jackson 5
I'll Be There

3 Marvin Gaye
What's Going On

4 Michael Jackson
Ben

5 Jackson 5
ABC

6 Michael Jackson
Ain't No Sunshine

7 Stevie Wonder
Superstition

8 Marvin Gaye
I Heard It Through The Grapevine

9 The Temptations
My Girl

10 Diana Ross
Ain't No Mountain High Enough

11 Michael Jackson
One Day In Your Life

USA version:
[URL]http://www.universalmusiconline.com/motown-50-vote/

UK version:
www.pollthepeople.com/motown50
[/URL]

Last edited:

Just another Michael album lol.

WOW!!

5 songs in the top 6 are MJ songs (or J5) that's cool!

And 6 songs with MJ in the top 11.

He sure has been a good man for Motown!

Re: MOTOWN 50 Album: VOTE for YOUR top MJ / J5 tracks! Competition for the TOP spots has heated UP!

Current Top 11

1 Jackson 5 I Want You Back

Diana Ross Ain't No Mountain High Enough

Jackson 5 I'll Be There

Marvin Gaye What's Going On

The Supremes You Can't Hurry Love

Stevie Wonder Superstition

Michael Jackson Ben

Jackson 5 ABC

The Temptations My Girl

The Supremes Stop! In The Name Of Love

11 Michael Jackson Ain't No Sunshine

USA version:
http://www.universalmusiconline.com/motown-50-vote/

UK version:
www.pollthepeople.com/motown50

Re: MOTOWN 50 Album: VOTE for YOUR top MJ / J5 tracks! - Competition for the TOP spots has heated U

Seeing Lets Get Serious on there gave me a good laugh.

Such a tough list to choose from.

I went with:

I'll Be There
Lets Get It On
My Girl
War
Superstition

Re: MOTOWN 50 Album: VOTE for YOUR top MJ / J5 tracks! - Competition for the TOP spots has heated U

I have voted for Michael and the J5 too!:D

Re: MOTOWN 50 Album: VOTE for YOUR top MJ / J5 tracks! - Motown anniversary compilation unveiled

"Motown: The Complete #1s” — a 10-disc, 191-song boxed
set will be released Dec. 8. Included will be a photo book
with an essay by Smokey Robinson.

Label ramps up activities as celebration approaches
By BRIAN McCOLLUM • Free Press Pop Music Writer • October 9, 2008

The march to Motown’s 50th anniversary continues to pick up pace.
adlabel_horz.gif

Universal Music will announce details next week for Motown’s anniversary showpiece, “Motown: The Complete #1s” — a 10-disc, 191-song boxed set to be released Dec. 8.

The set’s masterstroke is its packaging, a replica of Motown’s old Hitsville, USA, headquarters in Detroit, as seen in product images obtained today by the Free Press. Included will be a photo book with an essay by Smokey Robinson.

The track list features music by 50 artists and includes every Motown song to have hit No. 1 on assorted charts in the United States and elsewhere, starting with the Miracles’ 1961 song “Shop Around” through Erykah Badu’s 2000 hit “Bag Lady.”

“The Complete #1s” is not the first Motown boxed set, or even the most comprehensive, but as the centerpiece of upcoming golden-anniversary activities, is likely to get ample attention.

Price information is not yet available, a Motown spokesperson said.

The anniversary campaign — a coordinated effort by Universal, label founder Berry Gordy Jr. and Detroit’s Motown Historical Museum — is set to kick off early next year with activities in Detroit and around the world.

http://www.freep.com/article/20081009/ENT04/81009084

Re: MOTOWN 50 Album: VOTE for YOUR top MJ / J5 tracks! - Motown anniversary compilation unveiled!

heres mine

1 One Day In Your Life - Michael Jackson2 Upside Down - Diana Ross3 I Want You Back - Jackson 54 Whats Going On - Marvin Gaye5 My Destiny - Lionel Richie

Re: MOTOWN 50 Album: VOTE for YOUR top MJ / J5 tracks! - Anniversary Compilation Unveiled!

Are they serious? Top 5 Motown songs. It's impossible to just pick 5.

Update: I finally went with...

1. Michael Jackson - Ain't No Sunshine (because it's currently at #11 and at danger of being voted out)
2. Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - The Tracks Of My Tears
3. Marvin Gaye - Let's Get It On
4. Stevie Wonder - Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I'm Yours…
5. Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - You Really Got A Hold On Me

I did have Tears of a Clown at #4 but decided there was too much Smokey in my top 5. Better share the love.

Last edited:
Re: MOTOWN 50 Album: VOTE for YOUR top MJ / J5 tracks! - Anniversary Compilation Unveiled!

my 5

1. I Want You Back - J5
2. My Girl - The Temptations
3. What's Goin' On - Marvin Gaye
4. Superstition - Stevie Wonder
5. You Can't Hurry Love - The Supremes

There is no TOP FIVE Motown... Motown had too many great tunes, and all of them didn't come from anyone named Jackson. :lol:

There is no TOP FIVE Motown... Motown had too many great tunes, and all of them didn't come from anyone named Jackson. :lol:

I kinda agree... It seems so wrong that everyone is voting for the J5 just because Michael was with them. I absolutely LOVE the J5 (and Michael offcourse:cheeky:)! But when I think about motown I also think about marvin gaye, supremes, stevie wonder, four tops, smokey robinson,... As much as I would like another Jackson 5 cd... a cd that celebrates motown just shouldn't have that many Jackson songs.
There, I said it:mello:

Last edited:

Would you rather it didn't have any. You can be sure that the fans of the other guys will be voting for them, so why discourage MJ fans from voting for j5. Many MJ fans may have never been interested in Motown had it not been for MJ.
Also, as much as the other guys were successful, the J5 brought pandemonium to Motown and sales that no other band brought before or since.

i voted 2 j5 and 3mj tracks. idk why pple r sayin its more to motown than the ackson5/michael well hell we r mj fans so wo else r we gonna vote 4 lol. i bet the marvin gaye fans aint sayin "oh well its more to motown than marvin so im gonna vote diana ross" sum pple think and read entirely too much into things.

Agreed.

I love the temptations also.

But MJ and J5 sure has many great songs too.

Would you rather it didn't have any. You can be sure that the fans of the other guys will be voting for them, so why discourage MJ fans from voting for j5. Many MJ fans may have never been interested in Motown had it not been for MJ.
Also, as much as the other guys were successful, the J5 brought pandemonium to Motown and sales that no other band brought before or since.

No, no, that's not what I meant, A motown cd without J5 and Michael isn't a motown cd either! I voted for a J5 and Michael song too! And I sure don't want to discourage anyone. I didn't want to change anyone's opinion at all.
I just said I don't think a motown anniversary album with 5 J5 or Michael songs in the top 11 looks right to me:cheeky:

^ Exactly. Why some think we're trying to change their opinion, we're just giving ours. Dang... is it that difficult? :lol:

In a lot of cases I like the album tracks or lesser known singles more than the over released/played "big hits". There's hundreds of compilations with "My Girl" and the like. Personally, I'd do something different

In a lot of cases I like the album tracks or lesser known singles more than the over released/played "big hits". There's hundreds of compilations with "My Girl" and the like. Personally, I'd do something different

Me too.

Like these KOP editions, the only great CD's are those where Fans have choosen "rare" tracks, meaning those which haven't been on greatest hits CD's many times before. The swedish hit collection CD 2 is great!

I love a lot of the underrated Motown joints:

"Sweet Thing", "So Long" and "It's a Desperate Situation" is my favorite unreleased joints by Marvin

The Elgins, known for "Heaven Must Have Sent You", had a slammer with "Darling Baby"

Brenda Holloway had the songs "Think It Over" and "Just Look What You've Done"

Martha and the Vandellas' unreleased Smokey joint "Spellbound"

----
Motown was full of creativity, especially in the sixties.

Re: MOTOWN 50 Album: THE 50 SONGS THAT HAD MOTOWN DANCING IN THE STREET

Sunday November 16, 2008 - By Ted Jeory

71333_1.jpg

Motown singer Marvin Gaye

With the legendary label’s smooth and soulful tunes, stress is not an emotion associated with Motown, but a four week agony of choice has ended with the release of its fans’ favourite fifty greatest tracks.

To celebrate January’s 50th Anniversary of Motown Records, arguably the greatest record label ever, Universal Music is releasing Motown 50, a compilation of tracks chosen by fans worldwide. The fans were polled during four weeks in October using social networking internet sites.

The Detroit-based label was founded by Berry Gordy as Tamla Records on January 12, 1959, and incorporated as Motown Record Corporation in 1960.

Marvin Gaye, The Supremes, Stevie Wonder and the Four Tops are just some of the all-time great Motown artistes.

The compilation, Motown 50 – Today, Tomorrow, Forever…, is released on December 1.

USA
version:

TOP 50 MOTOWN TRACKS

1. Marvin Gaye – I Heard It Through The Grapevine
2. Martha Reeves & The Vandellas – Dancing In The Street
3. The Supremes – Baby Love
4. Four Tops – I Can’t Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch)
5. The Velvelettes – Needle In A Haystack 6. The Temptations – Get Ready
7. The Supremes – You Can’t Hurry Love
8. The Elgins – Heaven Must Have Sent You
9. Martha Reeves & The Vandellas – Nowhere To Run
10. Martha Reeves & The Vandellas – Jimmy Mack
11. The Isley Brothers – This Old Heart Of Mine (Is Weak For You)
12. Smokey Robinson & The Miracles – The Tears Of A Clown
13. Jackson 5 – ABC
14. Marvin Gaye & Kim Weston – It Takes Two
15. Mary Wells – My Guy
16. The Contours – Do You Love Me
17. Frank Wilson – Do I Love You (Indeed I Do)
18. R. Dean Taylor – There’s A Ghost In My House
19. The Supremes – Stop! In The Name Of Love
20. Jr. Walker & The All Stars – Shotgun
21. Stevie Wonder – Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I’m Yours)
22. Jackson 5 – I Want You Back
23. Diana Ross & Marvin Gaye – You Are Everything
24. Diana Ross – Ain’t No Mountain High Enough
25. Stevie Wonder – Superstition
26. The Temptations – Papa Was A Rollin’ Stone
27. Marvin Gaye – What’s Going On
28. Commodores – Brick House
29. Edwin Starr – War
30. The Temptations – My Girl
31. Smokey Robinson & The Miracles – The Tracks Of My Tears
32. Lionel Richie & Diana Ross – Endless Love
33. Commodores – Easy
34. Diana Ross & The Supremes – Reflections
35. Four Tops – Reach Out, I’ll Be There
36. Marvin Gaye – Let’s Get It On
37. Jimmy Ruffin – What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted
38. Michael Jackson – Got To Be There
39. Smokey Robinson – Being With You
40. Stevie Wonder – Sir Duke
41. The Miracles– Love Machine
42. Lionel Richie – All Night Long (All Night)
43. Diana Ross – Love Hangover
44. Thelma Houston – Don’t Leave Me This Way
45. Stevie Wonder –Masterblaster (Jammin)
46. Commodores – Nightshift
47. Diana Ross – Upside Down
48. Rick James – Super Freak
49. The Temptations – Treat Her Like A Lady
50. Lionel Richie – My Destiny

Sunday Express

Last edited:

3 songs out of 50 is OK.

But I miss Ben and never can say goodbye!

But still nice!

Can't argue with that list. Especially since my other favorite artist got the top dog. ^_^

"I Heard It through the Grapevine" was truly SEMINAL to the Motown Sound.

Back