Murray Trial- Day 15 -October 21st

About the documentation (going to something simpler for my poor tired brain) logically murray wouldn't keep records. He'd be a fool to write down doing something so dangerous and reckless and provide written proof of what was going on. Why should he? Standard of care be damned. If he got away with this 'treatment' of Michael, the last thing he would want is anything that could fall into other hands. So to me it makes sense he would keep no records. When you're doing something wrong, you conceal it, not document it.

i agree, especially if the insurance company wanted records of care he surely couldn't show them what he was doing! although i think he could have also destroyed the records after the fact too to conceal it, since before he probably didn't think he'd get caught. does anyone know if it is possible that council "unofficially" advised him to destroy the records?? because the defense are sure using the fact that there are none to their advantage. i'm guessing if there were records of what happened that night there would be zero question of murray's guilt, we wouldn't have to go through all these possible scenarios.

I believe the same thing. I think Murray was intentionally trying to get MJ addicted in order to keep himself on the payroll. I think I remember one of his girlfriends' saying that Murray told her that MJ was probably 'really missing him right now'. I believe it was Sade Anding. Murray was obviously trying to impress her

That's a very plausible scenario. I see Murray as a very shrewd and extremely selfish individual. Personal gain was more important to him, than a human life . His smug attitude to this day, and those of his lawyers is proof of his lack of compassion for Michael. He shows no remorse over his actions, and I find it disgusting that he is still alive and well, and will probably only receive a slap on the wrist for taking someone's life.

I agree Rhilo.. he has shown absolutely no remorse. He hasn't even apologized to MJ's kids at all. Like Shafer said, Murray didn't care about MJ, his patient, his only concern was Murray when he was going over there with propofol and lidocaine.

There was another doc the defense approached first to testify for Conrad Murray as an expert, but the doc declined, this is the interview mentioning this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es5suvGQOj4&feature=player_embedded

anyways, the guy recently tweeted this about Dr. White.

drfriedberg
Barry Friedberg MD
@mccartneyAP Dr. Paul White's alcoholic excesses at anesthesia meetings are as legendary as his hitting on female saleswomen.

Seems like White's got issues of his own.

In all seriousness i doubt murray made any records. if he couldnt bother getting monitering equipment etc u really think he cared enough to document things.

Murray was too busy talking to his lady friends and keeping Michael quiet to bother with silly things like medical charts!! I get more furious every day thinking of his incompetence.

In all seriousness i doubt murray made any records. if he couldnt bother getting monitering equipment etc u really think he cared enough to document things.

True.. I agree.. I don't think that Murray even gave MJ a physical examination. He has admitted that he knew nothing about his medical history and he sure as hell didn't call up the doctors he knew about to ask them any questions. I just wonder did he really think propofol was a good idea for sleep or did he just do it because of so called 'other doctors'? did he even research the drug?

True.. I agree.. I don't think that Murray even gave MJ a physical examination. He has admitted that he knew nothing about his medical history and he sure as hell didn't call up the doctors he knew about to ask them any questions. I just wonder did he really think propofol was a good idea for sleep or did he just do it because of so called 'other doctors'? did he even research the drug?

imo...Murray is a liar he was Michael's doctor since 2006...he KNEW full well about Michael's medical history.. HE is lieing to say he does not know. Murray saw the 150.000 a month and that is ALL he cared about,,,not Michael.

imo...Murray is a liar he was Michael's doctor since 2006...he KNEW full well about Michael's medical history.. HE is lieing to say he does not know. Murray saw the 150.000 a month and that is ALL he cared about,,,not Michael.

yeah I figured he was lying. I am just saying he is saying he didn't know anything about his history but being his doctor since 2006, he should've known something. He knew but like you said and like Dr Shafer said, Murray was only concerned about Murray not MJ's health.

There was another doc the defense approached first to testify for Conrad Murray as an expert, but the doc declined, this is the interview mentioning this

drfriedberg
Barry Friedberg MD
@mccartneyAP Dr. Paul White's alcoholic excesses at anesthesia meetings are as legendary as his hitting on female saleswomen.

Well, now, THAT certainly is ugly. An alcoholic anethesiologist sounds quite risky? O.M.G. Doubt that this "character information" will come out at trial? Probably not? I do know that Shafer said he wasn't being PAID for his testimony (it's not uncommon for expert witnesses to be well paid). I hope it comes out whether or not White is being paid by the defense team? Would make Shafer's testimony seem even more "pure," that he did this work out of caring for justice and the good name of the medical profession, in general?

About Murray's "records?" If he kept them at all, I'd expect it would only have been in a small notebook listing amounts and times of giving medications? And if so, it was easily discarded.

yeah I figured he was lying. I am just saying he is saying he didn't know anything about his history but being his doctor since 2006, he should've known something. He knew but like you said and like Dr Shafer said, Murray was only concerned about Murray not MJ's health.

yeah he is only trying to save his own butt now...he doesn't give a hoot about what he did to Michael. IF he did...he would of told the truth from the beginning instead of trying to throw Michael under the bus from the beginning, The man has NO conscience,

drfriedberg
Barry Friedberg MD

thank for posting this twinklee.. Dr Friedberg,,,HE is the doc that I posted about I think it was on the opening day of Murrays trial..the doc that I said I saw on tv,,,the one that was talking about the amounts of benzo's and prop that were found in MJ...and he said that Murray was a liar then.

Hes the one that wrote the book and was trying to flog it at court

Hi everyone,

I have a problem, and I hope you can help, especially those with medical or pharmaceutical knowledge :

I have been thinking about Chernoffs cross the whole week end, and why they don't want to admit there was a drip, want to say that Alberto lied about the slit bag with the bottle on the IV pole, and what Dr White is going to say..

I don't think White is going to contradict anything Dr Shafer says, that would be stupid. As I said in a previous post, when Chernoff was asking about all the studies Dr White and Dr Shafer did together, it sounded, at least to me, like Dr Shafer was the one who did the modelling and calculations, and so Dr White was the one who was studying the drugs and it effects.

So the defense goes crazy when anyone mentions a drip, or anything about the tube that, maybe, well to me it's likely, was in Murray's pockets when he arrived at UCLA. They definitely want an injection theory, even though the self injection theory would be a lot more credible with a tube, Michael only had to unclamp it. Especially since according to Murray, Michael was "legally blind" (look at the size of the injection port, it's really small), and somehow he didn't leave any fingerprints on the bottle and the syringe, in spite of all he had to do to draw propofol out of the bottle (push and pull the plunger at least twice, and hold the bottle)

Dr Shafer based everthing on apnea, resiratory arrest , and the delay bewteen respiratory and cardiac arrest. So the only way out of this, for Dr White, would be to say that Michael went directly into cardiac arrest, or in less than the 2 or 3mns needed for concentration to drop enough according to Dr Shafer's calculations (the graphs with the injection simulations on day 14). This is basically what Soundmind has been saying, and that explains why the defense needs Murray away from the room more than 2 mn.

I looked at the autopsy report, anesthesiology consult, Dr Calmes talks about "respiratory depression" and "cardiovascular depression" and it sounded like 2 different things sometimes, and she mentions that a bolus injection should not be too fast.

So my question is : what is a cardiovascular depression, how fast can it be, can propofol send you directly into cardiac arrest , without a respiratory depression first ??

They are many problems with the cardiac arrest theory though : none of the doctors who have testified so far have mentionned it (Drs Steinberg, Kamangar, Shafer), they all said the risk was apnea, and Dr Shafer in an anesthesiogist. That's my major problem, how can 3 doctors overlook this ? But they all said you need to monitor the heart and BP.

Then how does the pulse that Murray said he felt would fit into this ? I wouldn't be surprised if the defense is prepared to call their client a liar again, But thats a big big lie or several lies at least (he "witnessed" the arrest, felt the pulse). It would make not calling 911 right away look worse. Why didn't Murrat plead guilty, I don't understand it either.

That wouldn't change anything about the verdict, there are tons of other things to convict the defense can't do anything about.
What I'm worried about is that the self injection theory would remain in some people's minds, even though it's not credible for the other reasons that I mentionned, and I don't want that to happen.

Uuugh my head hurts...

Well we know the defence have said mj passed straight away. the whole argument about the eyes been open. the pros have asked many witnesses about that and what it means. we have had flanagan asking what if murray got it wrong and there was no pulse. i guess they are prepaired to impeach their witness.

i think white will give another opinion and say you can get those high levels of concentration by self injection and if u died straight away. thats what the defence had been saying from the begining. but they have this huge hurdle of murrays own words. not only i left the room for two mins but i found a pulse. That cannot be got around.

I would think cardio depression comes after respitory. first the breathing slows then u stop and as shaffer said the heart still beats for say 15mins. cardio depression is when the heart starts to slow bloods not been pumped as fast as it should be etc

Ask about cardio depression in the medical thread. i looked on google but nothing really comes up

Thanks Elusive, yes they are going to impeach their client, I think so too... Gosh, I don't understand Chernoff and Flanagan, I would have left the case if I were them...Murray must have lied to them too. Chernoff must be feeling great about that police interview..what a huge mistake.

@bouee

I think the cardiac arrest is ruled out based on Murray's own statement of a heart beat of 122

my understanding is when the breathing stops your heart beats harder to get the remaining oxygen to vital organs - hence the increased heartbeat rate

if MJ had a cardiac arrest there shouldn't be a heartbeat and pulse.

medically knowledgeable people can tell if a cardiac arrest before respitory arrest is possible but that will be a contradiction to what murray said.

bouee;3518047 said:
Hi everyone,

I have a problem, and I hope you can help, especially those with medical or pharmaceutical knowledge :

I have been thinking about Chernoffs cross the whole week end, and why they don't want to admit there was a drip, want to say that Alberto lied about the slit bag with the bottle on the IV pole, and what Dr White is going to say..

I don't think White is going to contradict anything Dr Shafer says, that would be stupid. As I said in a previous post, when Chernoff was asking about all the studies Dr White and Dr Shafer did together, it sounded, at least to me, like Dr Shafer was the one who did the modelling and calculations, and so Dr White was the one who was studying the drugs and it effects.

So the defense goes crazy when anyone mentions a drip, or anything about the tube that, maybe, well to me it's likely, was in Murray's pockets when he arrived at UCLA. They definitely want an injection theory, even though the self injection theory would be a lot more credible with a tube, Michael only had to unclamp it. Especially since according to Murray, Michael was "legally blind" (look at the size of the injection port, it's really small), and somehow he didn't leave any fingerprints on the bottle and the syringe, in spite of all he had to do to draw propofol out of the bottle (push and pull the plunger at least twice, and hold the bottle)

Dr Shafer based everthing on apnea, resiratory arrest , and the delay bewteen respiratory and cardiac arrest. So the only way out of this, for Dr White, would be to say that Michael went directly into cardiac arrest, or in less than the 2 or 3mns needed for concentration to drop enough according to Dr Shafer's calculations (the graphs with the injection simulations on day 14). This is basically what Soundmind has been saying, and that explains why the defense needs Murray away from the room more than 2 mn.

I looked at the autopsy report, anesthesiology consult, Dr Calmes talks about "respiratory depression" and "cardiovascular depression" and it sounded like 2 different things sometimes, and she mentions that a bolus injection should not be too fast.

So my question is : what is a cardiovascular depression, how fast can it be, can propofol send you directly into cardiac arrest , without a respiratory depression first ??

They are many problems with the cardiac arrest theory though : none of the doctors who have testified so far have mentionned it (Drs Steinberg, Kamangar, Shafer), they all said the risk was apnea, and Dr Shafer in an anesthesiogist. That's my major problem, how can 3 doctors overlook this ? But they all said you need to monitor the heart and BP.

Then how does the pulse that Murray said he felt would fit into this ? I wouldn't be surprised if the defense is prepared to call their client a liar again, But thats a big big lie or several lies at least (he "witnessed" the arrest, felt the pulse). It would make not calling 911 right away look worse. Why didn't Murrat plead guilty, I don't understand it either.

That wouldn't change anything about the verdict, there are tons of other things to convict the defense can't do anything about.
What I'm worried about is that the self injection theory would remain in some people's minds, even though it's not credible for the other reasons that I mentionned, and I don't want that to happen.

Uuugh my head hurts...

i hope this helps (sorry this is going to be long, I'd rather not interpret the text so I will just copy)... it's from Miller's Anesthesia, 7th edition... the major cardiovascular effect is a drop in blood pressure, and if you have pre-existing cardiac problems, this can lead to bad stuff. there's also a decrease in cardiac ouput (the amount of blood the heart pumps each minute), seemingly by decreasing the strength with which the heart muscle is beating:

"Effects on the Cardiovascular System
The cardiovascular effects of propofol have been evaluated after its use for induction and for maintenance of anesthesia (Table 26-2).[SUP][108][/SUP] The most prominent effect of propofol is a decrease in arterial blood pressure during induction of anesthesia. Independent of the presence of cardiovascular disease, an induction dose of 2 to 2.5 mg/kg produces a 25% to 40% reduction of systolic blood pressure.[SUP][108,112,113][/SUP] Similar changes are seen in mean and diastolic blood pressure. The decrease in arterial pressure is associated with a decrease in cardiac output/cardiac index (?15%),[SUP][112,113][/SUP] stroke volume index (?20%),[SUP][113][/SUP] and systemic vascular resistance (15% to 25%).[SUP][112][/SUP] Left ventricular stroke work index also is decreased (?30%). When looking specifically at right ventricular function, propofol produces a marked reduction in the slope of the right ventricular end-systolic pressure-volume relationship.[SUP][114][/SUP]
Table 26-2 -- Hemodynamic Changes after Induction of Anesthesia with Nonbarbiturate Hypnotics
HR−9 ? 13%Unchanged−5 ? 10%0-59%Unchanged−14 ? 12%−10 ? 10%
MBP0-19%0-10%0-17%0 ? 40%−7-20%−12-26%−10-40%
SVR−22 ? 13%−5-15%−10 ? 14%0 ? 33%−10-35%0-20%−15-25%
PAP0-10%Unchanged−9 ? 8%+44 ? 47%Unchanged0-10%
PVR0-19%Unchanged−18 ? 6%0 ? 33%UnchangedUnchanged0-10%
PAOUnchanged+25 ? 50%UnchangedUnchanged0-25%Unchanged
RAPUnchangedUnchangedUnchanged+15 ? 33%UnchangedUnchanged0-10%
CIUnchangedUnchanged−20 ? 14%0 ? 42%0 ? 16%0-25%−10-30%
SV0-−8%0-10%0-20%0-21%Unchanged0-18%−10-25%
LVSWI0-36%Unchanged0-33%0 ? 27%−28-42%−10-20%
dP/dtUnchanged0-18%Unchanged0-12%Decreased

<thead>
<th align="left"> </th><th align="left">Diazepam</th><th align="left">Droperidol</th><th align="left">Etomidate * </th><th align="left">Ketamine</th><th align="left">Lorazepam</th><th align="left">Midazolam</th><th align="left">Propofol</th>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
CI, cardiac index; dP/dt, first derivative of pressure measured over time; HR, heart rate; LVSWI, left ventricular stroke work index; MBP, mean blood pressure; PAP, pulmonary artery pressure; PVR, pulmonary vascular resistance; PAO, pulmonary artery occluded pressures; RAP, right atrial pressure; SV, stroke volume; SVR, systemic vascular resistance.

<tbody id="legend">
</tbody>

[SUP]*[/SUP]The larger deviations are in patients with valvular disease.

<tbody>
</tbody>

In patients with valvular heart disease, pulmonary artery and pulmonary capillary wedge pressure also are reduced, a finding that implies the resultant decrease in pressure is due to a decrease in preload and afterload. Although the decrease in systemic pressure after an induction dose of propofol is due to vasodilation, the direct myocardial depressant effects of propofol are more controversial. The decrease in cardiac output after propofol administration may be via its action on sympathetic drive to the heart. Propofol at high concentrations (10 ?g/mL) abolishes the inotropic effect of &#945; but not &#946; adrenoreceptor stimulation, and enhances the lusitropic (relaxation) effect of &#946; stimulation.[SUP][115][/SUP] Clinically, the myocardial depressant effect and the vasodilation seem to be dose-dependent and plasma concentration–dependent.[SUP][116][/SUP] The vasodilatory effect of propofol seems to be due to a reduction in sympathetic activity,[SUP][117][/SUP] a direct effect on intracellular smooth muscle calcium mobilization,[SUP][118][/SUP] inhibition of prostacyclin synthesis in endothelial cells,[SUP][119][/SUP] reduction in angiotensin II–elicited calcium entry,[SUP][120][/SUP] activation of K[SUP]+[/SUP] adenosine triphosphate channels, and stimulation of nitric oxide. The stimulation of nitric oxide may be modulated by intralipid rather than propofol.[SUP][121][/SUP]
Heart rate does not change significantly after an induction dose of propofol. Propofol either may reset or may inhibit the baroreflex, reducing the tachycardic response to hypotension.[SUP][122][/SUP] Propofol also decreases cardiac parasympathetic tone in a dose-dependent manner.[SUP][123][/SUP] Propofol has a minimal direct effect on sinoatrial node function or on normal atrioventricular and accessory pathway conduction.[SUP][124][/SUP] Propofol attenuates the heart rate response to atropine in a dose-dependent manner. During an infusion of 10 mg/kg/hr of propofol, a cumulative dose of atropine of 30 ?g/kg increased heart rate greater than 20 beats/min in only 20% of subjects compared with 100% in the absence of propofol.[SUP][125][/SUP] Propofol suppresses atrial (supraventricular) tachycardias and probably should be avoided during electrophysiologic studies.[SUP][126][/SUP]
In retrospective review of 2406 patients, Reich and colleagues[SUP][127][/SUP] showed that 9% of patients experienced severe hypotension 0 to 10 minutes after induction of general anesthesia. Statistically significant multivariate predictors of hypotension 0 to 10 minutes after anesthetic induction included American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA) class III through V, baseline mean arterial pressure (MAP) less than 70 mm Hg, age 50 years or older, use of propofol for induction of anesthesia, and increasing induction dosage of fentanyl. The combination of propofol with fentanyl was a particularly potent stimulus for hypotension. A prolonged postoperative stay or death was more common in patients with versus patients without postinduction hypotension; however, the use of propofol per se was not associated with increased morbidity.[SUP][127][/SUP] Limited data indicate that 0.5 mg/kg of ketamine is able to better prevent decreases in hemodynamics after a propofol induction alone or in combination with fentanyl (1 ?g/kg).[SUP][128][/SUP]
During maintenance of anesthesia with a propofol infusion, arterial systolic blood pressure also is decreased to 20% to 30% less than preinduction of anesthesia levels. In patients allowed to breathe room air during a maintenance infusion of 100 ?g/kg/min of propofol, there is a significant decrease in systemic vascular resistance (30%), but cardiac index and stroke index are unaltered. In contrast, in patients receiving a narcotic premedication and nitrous oxide with an infusion of propofol (54 ?g/kg/min and 108 ?g/kg/min) for maintenance during surgery, systemic vascular resistance is not significantly decreased from baseline, but cardiac output and stroke volume are decreased. This situation is probably explained by the observation that propofol infusions produce a dose-dependent decrease of sympathetic nerve activity, attenuating the reflex responses to hypotension. In the presence of hypercarbia, the reflex sympathetic responses are better maintained.[SUP][129][/SUP]
Increasing the infusion rate of propofol from 54 to 108 ?g/kg/min (blood concentration 2.1 to 4.2 ?g/mL) produces only a slightly greater decrease in arterial blood pressure (&#8722;10%). The peak plasma concentrations obtained after a bolus dose are substantially higher than the concentrations seen with a continuous infusion. Because the vasodilatory and myocardial depressant effects are concentration-dependent, the decrease in arterial blood pressure from propofol during the infusion phase (maintenance of anesthesia) is much less than that seen after an induction of anesthesia bolus. When propofol was compared with midazolam for sedation after coronary revascularization, propofol resulted in a 17% less frequent incidence of tachycardia, a 28% less frequent incidence of hypertension, and a 17% more frequent incidence in hypotension. These differences in hemodynamic variables resulted in no difference in the number or severity of ischemic events between the two groups. An infusion of propofol results in a significant reduction in myocardial blood flow and myocardial oxygen consumption,[SUP][108,111][/SUP] a finding that suggests that the global myocardial oxygen supply-to-demand ratio is preserved.
The cardioprotective effect of propofol versus volatile anesthetics in patients having cardiac surgery on or off cardiopulmonary bypass is less debatable. In two large studies comparing propofol with sevoflurane in patients undergoing cardiac surgery, postoperative troponin were lower and hemodynamic function better in patients receiving sevoflurane.[SUP][130,131][/SUP] A study comparing desflurane with propofol in patients undergoing off-pump coronary artery bypass showed similar results.[SUP][132][/SUP] In contrast, a small study that administered high-dose propofol (120 ?g/kg/min), low-dose propofol (60 ?g/kg/min) while on pump, or titrated isoflurane throughout surgery showed improved troponin levels and better hemodynamic function in the large-dose propofol group compared to the isoflurane or low-dose propofol group.[SUP][133][/SUP] This study may indicate that cardioprotection with propofol is dose dependent, but needs confirmation.
Heart rate may increase,[SUP][111][/SUP] decrease,[SUP][110][/SUP] or remain unchanged[SUP][109][/SUP] when anesthesia is maintained with propofol. The extent of hypotension, the ability for the patient to compensate, and the use of any other concomitant drugs are likely the most important factors in determining what happens to the heart rate after propofol administration."

So I guess if they say hypotension caused his heart to stop beating?? I don't know if that's possible... and they still have the problem of Murray's feeling a thready pulse of 122... I guess we will find this week where they're going with this =/

Didn't Murray tell this guy a very different story then what he told the cops? But he can't say what Murray told him?

@ Ivy, yes I know it's ruled out by Murray's claims. The defense has already said Murray "may have got the time wrong" about the 2mn "bathroom break", and Michael died so quickly "he didn't have the time to close his eyes", and to me it contradicts the 122 pulse.

I don't know, we'll have to wait, but at this point , it sounds to me like they are going to go against some of Murray's lies (a lot then, the pulse, the witnessed arrest, the 2mn, maybe other lies), to stick with "I didn't give him anything that should have killed him", just 25mg over 3 to 5 mn

I don't get it, they don't stand a chance IMO. In a way I suppose it's not everyday that a lawyer calls his own client a liar in a trial after advising him to talk to the police, so that part could be nice for us to watch, but they're going to drag Michael into this, I hate that.

Didn't Murray tell this guy a very different story then what he told the cops? But he can't say what Murray told him?

from the ruling the judge made white cant discuss what murray told him and his opinion based on that unless murray himself testifyes first. so i presume white will just talk about that whole concentration issues.unless of course murray testifyes

Ivy, yes I know it's ruled out by Murray's claims. The defense has already said Murray "may have got the time wrong" about the 2mn "bathroom break",

which is crazy in itself as flanagan in one cross said what if he left the room for 20 min or 40 mins. .now if u go to the toliet for 2 mins you know it took two mins. you cant mix up leaving the room for 2 mins when infact you were gone for 20 mins. even if you dont have a watch! everyone has a sense of timing interms of been gone somewhere two mins or 40.

all i can think of is the defence will say ok murray lied in his poilice interview by not mentioning the t.phonecalls. (although they will say he didnt lie he just didnt think they were important or relvent enough to mention to the police) they will now say as implied in the cross. murray watched for 10 minutes and then he thought mj was alseep naturally (so no need to monitor or need the equipment cause it was conscience sedation) so he left the room to make those phonecalls ontop of going to the toliet and when he came back at 12 he found mj.then they say murray didnt find a pulse even though he claimed he looked at the pulse oxy so its not like he can even say i just physcally felt a pulse when there wasnt one. and u have him tell the medics and drs he found one aswell. then white will address the concentration levels and say mj could have got those from self injection could have died instantly eyes open could mean instant death etc. so thats the excuse for not calling 911 etc etc. (yes im scrapping the barrell here) see how ridiculous this looks

the defence are basically going to have to impeach all of murrays police statement even though the interview was clearly scripted and planned by chernoff. it is an impossible defence because of that police interview.

Last edited:
Back