Murray Trial Day 21, October 31st - Discussion

Ramona, I have the same concern as Elusive. White had a point saying that there was no other explanation for lorazepam in the stomach than oral consumption. Walgren really needs to address that, it's not saying that the jurors are morons, White gave a logical explanation.
It's not about the verdict for me, because leaving a syringe loaded and benzos right next to Michael is still negligence, especially considering what Murray said about Michael hiding things from him and asking to do the injections hmself. I am still confident they will return a guilty verdict.
It's about making it clear that Michael did not take anything himself

The thing is that oral consumption of Lopz isn't a bad thing in of itself. It isn't like Michael was taking crack here. It is possible that Murray gave or Michael took, with Murray's blessing, Lopz that night. It isn't like Murray kept medical charts so we could know for sure and we only have his word for everything. The problem is that there isn't enough Lopz in his stomach to say he ate 8 pills and how could Michael take that amount and still be fine? There's also Murray's own statement where Michael didn't leave his sight. Which will, of course, open a can of worms that Murray is a liar.

Also, it wasn't the Lopz that killed Michael no matter how the defense whats to cook it.

The defence are using the lopez to show that mj was crazy enough to inject. the two go together

The defence are using the lopez to show that mj was crazy enough to inject. the two go together
exactly now I'm not suggesting that I/we could do the job better than Walgren but he seems to have overlooked certain issues, one of them being the lorazepam. I just hope it's not as it appears to us (that he's forgotten about it) but that's well aware and will bring it up with Shafer. Another thing, I'm not trying to criticize Walgren he's done a good job so far, but he needs to hammer down these points as well. He can't take the chance of Murray walking free. He needs to hammer down everything even if it's just a tiny tidbit.

exactly now I'm not suggesting that I/we could do the job better than Walgren but he seems to have overlooked certain issues, one of them being the lorazepam. I just hope it's not as it appears to us (that he's forgotten about it) but that's well aware and will bring it up with Shafer. Another thing, I'm not trying to criticize Walgren he's done a good job so far, but he needs to hammer down these points as well. He can't take the chance of Murray walking free. He needs to hammer down everything even if it's just a tiny tidbit.

Personally, I agree.

They can try to use the Lopz as they please, but that isn't the point I was making.

There's a big jump to be made to say Michael may had taking Lopz that morning vs. he ate 8 pills. Even if the jury comes to believe that Michael could had taking Lopz at some point that day, how did he take 8 without Murray, his personal doctor, not noticing anything. Going by the new defense line, Michael took those pill around 7am. So for the four hours that Murray was with him and Lopz reaching it's peak effort in two hours, how was Michael still functioning and Murray not noticed anything? Shouldn't Michael sounded like he did in that audio Murray took?

Like I said, lets at least assume the jury has some critical thinking skills.

Now that I wrote the above, I'm beginning to wonder if that is one of the main reasons why the played that audio. It wasn't just to show Murray knew the effects his 'treatment' was having on Michael, but there was no way Michael could had taking all that medication and it to not be noticeable. The defense can't really say Michael was on painkillers that day and Murray happened to find him like that because according to Murray, he knew nothing of any other medication Michael was taking. If he found him high off the medication of another doctor, shouldn't he ask about it and demanded to know who he was seeing.

It's the same if they try to say Michael took medication without permission that Murray gave him. Because if Murray knew that Michael would take drugs himself unsupervised, shouldn't he had known and expected that he could had taken 8 Lopz pills and self-injected propofol if he let Michael out of his sight?

I think the audio tape is going to bit Murray in ways he didn't think of.

I think Anderson mentioned it on cross when Flan asked how could Lopz get into the stomach if Michael didn't take pills. He said himself it could had been from the surrounding blood that got into the stomach, but then we got this long lecture about ionization and other stuff I can't remember. I think, however, the defense point was because of how Lopz works it doesn't transfer over to other organs that well.

Dont think anderson is gonna be apart of the rebuttal. only shaffer was mentioned by the pros. the loraz in the stomach is a big issue i fail to understand why walgren has not made the point clear to the jury. its these points out of everything that could cost him the case imo. becausr if the jury dont have a valid reason for the loraz being in the stomach as white was so adament about it only getting there by oral.then the jury will go with that. and if u believe mj took the tabs u will more likely believe mj injected aswell

Exactly... if given IV will stay in the blood and not get significantly distributed to other systems. If taken orally is very slowly absorbed.

So why not emphasize the transmural hemorrhage? How could the defense counter that? And it gives the jury a reasonable and logical and probable way which ties in with the rest of the case. Another nail in the coffin of the defense. IMO.

ETA: Just want to add that I would be so tickled if Dr. Ornelis got up and said: Oh, no, I didn't need to search for anything because the defense provided me with everything they said I needed!

Last edited:
i think he's just about arrogant enough to think he could out smart the prosecutor. Seriously, this guy went to trial rather than say "yeah i f*cked up and i'm sorry". He must be a narcisist to actually think he did nothing wrong..he has sat there through all this evidence, he doesn't have a case at all, but still thinks he will be "vindicated". I mean really, you have to be a certain kind of person to sit through all of this evidence and think you didn't do anything wrong...i bet he really wants to testify....look at how he dug his own grave during the interview...and i doubt he will listen to his lawyers (who don't seem to have done a very good job but just look at the material they have to work with). I am sure his lawyers will do everything in their power to keep him off the stand, for his own good he should listen to them, but i hope he doesn't because i'd love to see walgren rip him apart....

what i find interesting (because nobody but murray knows what really happened and i'm still curious as to how murray made such a huge mistake in giving michael so much propofol).....is that white said that the tab that was missing/torn/cut from the iv tube was there to allow air flow, which speeds up the drip...murray had said in the police interview that after the initial injection of propofol he would release more slowly throw the iv, (although he denied doing that on the night mj died.)...perhaps when he left the room the iv was releasing propofol faster than he expected because of the damaged tab allowing air in. That could also be why, if he stashed the tube/iv in his pocket it didn't leak all over him, it was probably empty because it had all been pumped into michael.. surprised that i haven't seen anyone else talk about this....it kind of jumped out at me and thought you guys would be on to it. Maybe i got it all wrong but to me the guy said the tab, when working, was to let air in which speeds up the flow and if that was the one that was used on michael, it might have been what killed him.

It's my belief that the defense put their hopes in Dr. White being able sneak in a lot of Murray's explanations and fairytales for the record yesterday under cross examination. Thankfully, Walgren and Judge Pastor shut that mess down early. White was really starting to get on a roll when the judge put a stop to it. A more lax judge may have simply sustained Walgren's objections but Pastor got the jury out of the room and let the defense have it. He let them know it was not going to be tolerated without penalty. From that point on, I believe it was a game changer for Murray and the defense.

The thing with defendants making a decision to testify (with or without attorney approval) tends to be this: If the State hasn't proven its case or the case is weak, it's easier for the defendant to remain silent. His team can always relay any holes to the jury in closing argument. They can say the State didn't prove its case and therefore they have to render a verdict of not guilty. HOWEVER, when the State does a great job of presenting its case and meets the criteria of the charges (burden of proof) and jury instructions are written in a way that would allow a conviction despite any holes, missing evidence or whatnot (such as cases where there is no body but there's enuf evidence to conclude a person had died via homicide) the defense/defendant MAY take the opinion of well, the odds of being found guilty are very high...what do I have to lose? Taking the stand is a last resort move in an effort to TRY and save themselves. They can either go down silently or go down fighting. (Said more here but thought about it so I'll leave it at that)

Translation: Murray could very well still take the stand. It will be the only way he can tell that story he so desperately wanted White to release on his behalf. One thing is for certain, if he gets on the stand, considering his desperation, lies and arrogance, we will need to prepare ourselves for the mother of all BS during direct questioning.

The fingers prints and so on are stuff you say in your closing. It's not something you say to any witness.

On the animal study, White had a point, but he made a big error early in the trial that kind of kill his credibility in this area. He willingly accepted Fran's beagle study along with his colleague's study in rats without questioning if the same holds true in humans. He got on Shaffer for doing a human study, but when the DA ask if that study was the one that changed his mind, he tried to slide it.

So, why is the animal's study fine for disproving oral propfol theory accepted without a fuss, but he readily rejects animals study about propofol and pee? See the double standard?

Completely agree. I think the Prosecution has decided that certain information is already on the record, possibly unchallenged and that's good enough. If something is up for debate, then it will be up to the jury to decide which expert they find more credible. The jury is prolly showing stress with all the scientific back and forth and the trial going longer now than expected. He's probably erring on the side of caution of not annoying them. If you notice, each time the D.A. focuses on a particular point it seems the defense starts jumping thru hoops to find an expert or some bs test to come in and ATTEMPT to debunk it...creating additional bs. This case will never end if it continues to go on this way. Right now, we have another witness coming on becuz Walgren made an issue of White and the models...or rather White tried to distance himself from the models since they weren't created by him (though he relied on them to form his opinon). The fingerprints, blood in the stomach, flumazenil...those things have already been brought out in the trial and can be tied up nice and tidy in closing. If Walgren makes too much of an issue of them now with White, we may have the defense run out and perform some new tests that will have this trial running til Christmas. If they haven't challenged what's already on the record by now, then let sleeping dogs lie. Sometimes it becomes about strategy over repetition. How many times do we have it on record that what Murray did was wrong? Many many times. If the jury doesn't get it by now, they never will.

Actually, the DA did point out a big problem with this theory without challenging the science. The DA asked White when and how Michael had the time to take Lopz when Murray only left the room once and that was after her gave the propofol. White then said that Murray told him that Michael was walking around in the early hours and went between rooms and could had taken drugs then.

Problem, Murray didn't say that in his police interview. He clearly said he stood by Michael's side all night. Why did he suddenly remember that Michael was up and around only when talking to White, after he was charge most likely, and not the polices who just wanted to know what the heck happened. So, his statement can easily be seen as self-serving BS, especially when you consider the other lies in his interview with polices. You also have to get over the fact that White is saying that Michael walked around with an IV on wheels between rooms. If Michael wanted to sleep so badly, why was he walking around and why was Murray allowing it since he could had dislodge his IV? I also want to point out that I think AA and the ER doctor said the condom catheter was hanging and not strap to Michael like White said.

elusive, I know you're concern about the case like the rest of us, but it seems that in some of your posts you assume that the people in the jury are morons or just really slow and will assume things are true without thinking further.

And not once in Murray's interview does he mention having to tell Michael that he needed to stop walking around and to get in bed. The only movement he talks about is HAVING Michael stand up (by the bed) so he could empty the cathether bag and for Michael to relieve himself right there once more at 7:30am. He mentions Michael moving his legs and squirming in a bed a little bit in frustration at not being able to fall asleep but that's the ONLY movement Murray attributes to Michael. Per his inteview, Michael is in that bed the rest of the time trying to go to sleep, meditating and occasionally talking to him. That's it.

There are one or two criticisms I have about this case, no fault of Walgrens, but I won't talk about them until closing arguments are done. I'm certain we will hear about them in the defense's closing but it is what it is. The Prosecution has gotten practically everything they need on the record for the jurors to hang their hat on for a guilty verdict of IVM, imo. And I'm confident they will tie up any loose ends with Shafer during rebuttal.

Btw...I, too, thought it was interesting, how White pulled the tubing out of his pocket with no problem. HA!:D And yes, Murray could have drained the tubing if it wasn't empty already (matches the empty bottle, no?). He had quite a time period up there by himself with Michael's body before he started calling people or running downstairs. We all wondered WTH was he doing up there all that time. It can't possibly take 15-20 minutes to assess a patient, and give brief/faulty CPR, shoot flumazenil and move legs up and down uselessly. He could have drained the tubing if it still had liquid in it and put it back into the wrapping it came out of (to prevent stray drips or wetness)...and THEN put it into his pocket. Speculation, of course, but more plausible than Michael self-administering, dying instantly but STILL in the same position Murray left him in. -_-

Last edited:
Agree wendy i woukdnt be shocked if murray testifyes. as u say whats he got to lose. it shows desperation if he goes for it. its either a ploy to keep the pros on their toes till the last min or murray wants to testify in the hope of winning the case with an oscar
winning performance and the defence dont want to risk it. i hope he doesnt just for the hell the direct testimony will be and the worry that he wins that oscar

I think that Walgren totally DESTROYED White today. It was clear that Walgren had read much more of the research, than White had. The only thing that White contributed, for his eleven thousand dollars, was ONE letter. He is clearly not skilled in even basic internet research, either. He palmed off that model to a STUDENT?

Are we DONE, yet?

Yeah me too, Walgren did great to show White had used an early study because later studies wouldn't fit the defence theory.
White made the most petty comment of the trial so far regading tubing in Walgrens hand.................I can still see a bit sticking out, later he pull's his own tubing out of his own pocket.............The mind boggle's.:busted:

first off, thank you to everyone who has posted updates for the past week!!! i have had exams these two weeks and have been unable to watch the trial, but have read on here so again, thanks :flowers:

Exactly... if given IV will stay in the blood and not get significantly distributed to other systems. If taken orally is very slowly absorbed.

So why not emphasize the transmural hemorrhage? How could the defense counter that? And it gives the jury a reasonable and logical and probable way which ties in with the rest of the case. Another nail in the coffin of the defense. IMO.

ETA: Just want to add that I would be so tickled if Dr. Ornelis got up and said: Oh, no, I didn't need to search for anything because the defense provided me with everything they said I needed!

i am at a complete loss as to why white says that lorazepam can't get into the stomach via iv administration... ion trapping was one of the first things i was taught this year in pharmacology, it is extremely simple and based on the properties of the molecule (acid/base), and the henderson-hasselbach equation (which is taught in basic chemistry in high school...) based on these, of course lorazepam would be in the stomach as it is a base, and basic drugs get trapped in acidic compartments e.g. the stomach! white is being an idiot for saying it couldn't be, probably intentionally, imo (he can claim he's "not an expert" if he gets called on that, but unfortunately nobody has called him out). walgren isn't helping by not bringing up the transmural hemorrage, which requires no scientific thought whatsoever to figure out how it got in there!

i hate that a doctor would sell himself out like this for $$$ :(

some points which could be brought up by prosecution:
  • sade anding call - she overheard mumbling and coughing at shortly before noon - if mj died within minutes of a rapid propofol bolus this places murray at the scene
  • transmurral bleeding of stomach
  • reduced lung capacity (lupus related?)
  • lupus symptoms - some can be similar to withdrawal: headaches, cramps, restless legs, chills, fatigue, insomnia
  • tizanidine prescription early june from klein - did mj have problems with headaches, cramps, restless legs?
  • did mj possibly believe he had a lupus flare up in early june?
  • previous (empty) tizanidine prescription found in house was from late 2008; seems mj used tizanidine in late may / early june
  • flomax prescription early june - i think tizanidine can cause urinary retention in some patients (enlarged prostate)
  • no flomax was found in body, only few flomax pills were used - seems flomax was only used for short time in early june (possibly because of tizanidine?)
  • large amounts of urine in bladder - why did mj not relieve himself?
  • why was a catheter needed?
  • flumazenil - several empty vials were found in hidden bags - murray used it frequently
  • how can a patient develop tolerance to lorazepam in 3 months to a degree he would be awake with blood levels over 160 ng/ml?
  • lee had done blood tests in february and found nothing unusual
  • oral lorazepam and temazepam were both prescribed by murray; they are both addictive, lorazepam can cause dependence in a few weeks
  • sedatives prescribed by metzger were much less addictive
  • on june 20 murray prescribed diazepam - take every 6 hours - diazepam (valium) can be used to treat benzodiazepine withdrawal
  • lorazepam causes (anterograde) amnesia - i read lorazepam is sometimes used as a date rape drug bc victims later don’t remember what had happened
  • if mj was sedated with lorazepam and occasionally woke up in between he probably wouldn’t later remember this; e.g. murray recording him

I also wanted to know why walgren hasnt adressed the fact michael was allowing cm to make calles and walk away from him if he was walking around so freely! Which i dont believe. Michael wouldnt have said go ahead cm i pay you to monitor me but he feel free to call all the time.
Also why dont we know yet why shafer hadnt had the urine levels, and white had?

Also i hope the jury will see what a lame expert white is by all his excuses, its more then ridiculus. Im not the one making the model, i just got it last night, im not expert in that, judge wont allow me. etc etc etc

We all feel how stupid he is, and therefor also the defense. but i hope the jury will too. It would be amazing and great if CM testifued! I cant wait for that to happen, doubt it would but he would be great! We then get to hear his side and torn apart by walgren! Therefor i dont think he will take the stand..

Also the redirect i hope walgren takes it! We need shafer back, making an ass of white and his model! and a explaination why he hadnt had the urine samples, maybe he has a new model now, now the samples are there??

Back