Ne-Yo & MJ worked on 6 songs - never recorded

Well Quincy might have searched/pushed for better songs, better collaborations, better writers, better musicians etc.
As if Michael didn't want the highest standards, he drove Mick Jagger crazy in the recording studio with his standards.
But most of all he had a great musical talent and knowledge; he could lift tracks with his arrangements, melodies, subtle sounds, subtle dissonance,create a consistincy beteween tracks etc.
Fair enough but don't forget that many melodies also come from Michael himself.
And he was also a perfectonist; he could make MJ sing verses over and over, record mixes over and over
So is Michael otherwise they wouldn't work together so well

Anyway we could always call the album Quincy Jones' Thriller if that's more correct.

I can't agree, time and time again it is noted that MJ is very much part of the songs he records, he is not just singing them, he is actively taking part in creating them. He has high standards and pushes for the best possible results, the way you state it it becomes a 90% Quincy Jones album, the same Quincy who wasn't enthusiastic about Billie Jean. The only song Quincy conceived was PYT. The only one I can imagine giving final approval is Michael Jackson with Quincy as a reliable partner.

If Quincy has that touch of gold then why didn't the other pop albums he produced between 1976 and 1985 become standards of the genre? I'm not saying they are bad albums, I listened to all of them but they're not Thriller nor Off the Wall. I think even on an MJ forum Michael's creativity isn't always being taken seriously.

For me the artist always comes first, he must always take the biggest credit. The producer is the glue. He is nothing without a world class voice and performer.
Yeah, I feel like I see more people act like MJ was just a singer than I do Quincy didn't contribute much. If we're talking strictly about fans then I guess there are those who dismiss him but I don't really see it as a thing that happens here often if at all.

Yeah, I feel like I see more people act like MJ was just a singer than I do Quincy didn't contribute much. If we're talking strictly about fans then I guess there are those who dismiss him but I don't really see it as a thing that happens here often if at all.
But of course Quincy did a a lot, making an album is a team effort but I have genuinely never heard another artist get the treatment that MJ gets. All of his success comes from Quincy's contribution according to "expert" music fans on dozens of music fora. Michael gets zero credit apart form being a good dancer and a decent singer.

But of course Quincy did a a lot, making an album is a team effort but I have genuinely never heard another artist get the treatment that MJ gets. All of his success comes from Quincy's contribution according to "expert" music fans on dozens of music fora. Michael gets zero credit apart form being a good dancer and a decent singer.
Yeah, I think Quincy is great at what he does and obviously he contributed, but I do see MJ's role getting reduced more by the general music media and public. Some act like MJ just sang the songs, which just isn't the case a lot of the time.

All you have to do is listen to MJs demoes and then the final tracks, you see how most of the material was there.

If anything, mJ and Quincy both get talked about enough, and more attention should be given to Bruce and Greg, etc.

And there's nothing wrong with Triumph at all except it's biased for some reason. It's basically an MJ record but with his brothers instead of Quincy and Bruce and the material is top tier. Like, no one can actually articulate why it's weak, but it's all casually classic material.

I feel like there’s some misconception within the fan community on what a producer actually does. The producer is the mastermind- conceives the song, hires the songwriters, oversees the mixing and recording process, gives the final approval on everything. Basically, the reason why OTW and Thriller have better songs (and sound better) than Triumph and Victory is because of the producer, so if anything, this is more evident of how good Quincy was.
It depends on what kind of producer it is. What a traditional producer like Quincy Jones or Phil Spector does is different from what beatmaker producers like Puff Daddy, Timbaland, & DJ Khaled do. There's also remix producers like Tom Moulton, Masters At Work, & Shep Pettibone.

Make up your mind or just admit to yourself you don't really love the album. If there was no doubt you wouldn't have typed it out like this.
I love it as much as OTW and consider it a better record overall. But the songs on OTW I love, I love more. So no, I won't make up my mind. It's pristine. I've never heard a good argument against it, except mine.

I forgot the era we’re in, light hearted comments are not allowed, my bad.
I wonder what will happen when I post something really shocking or mean though, don’t dare thinking about it!

I forgot the era we’re in, light hearted comments are not allowed, my bad.
I wonder what will happen when I post something really shocking or mean though, don’t dare thinking about it!
Sorry, given how the conversation below was entirely serious, I assumed you were being serious about that comment as well. My bad.

Sorry, given how the conversation below was entirely serious, I assumed you were being serious about that comment as well. My bad.
I’m almost never serious, I often annoy myself with not being serious.
You’re missing out on more quality posts though
Like this was again me not being serious

I’m a major troll but a kind one (I hope)

Oh, f&m was definitely joking and I got that. But I thought it was in poor taste and just misfired completely. Sexism just ain't funny.
I’m almost never serious, I often annoy myself with not being serious.

Like this was again me not being serious

I’m a major troll but a kind one (I hope)
You're a major pain in the butt, matey!

No, seriously, though, this was not your finest moment. But life flows on.

Back