New Netflix 'We Are the World' documentary!!

Glad to hear this.

I was worried it would downplay his genius.

Happy I was wrong

And to everyone complaining, there comes a time when we should all be more concerned about Michael's legacy and longevity that servicing fans wishes.

There's an entire new generation of teenagers who were born AFTER Michael died and are turning 13 and at the age when they develop their own music tastes. So while the footage in this doc may be old to us, to them it's new and exciting history to discover and learn about.

Like it or not the estate isn't wrong to want target this demographic with their projects instead of giving us fans what we want. If they only service Michael's older established fans his legacy will die out like Elvis is currently dying out. That recent biopic is not going to save him. Young people don't listen to Elvis Music anymore, and once his hardcore fans die out, that's it for him. He'll just be a relic of the past.
I don’t think his music is dying, but whatever floats your boat.

6. I learned that the recording was done in one night. After the mega popular AMA awards that Lionel Richie was hosting that night. This shows how simplistic and chill the 80s was. Like some people went there straight from the AMA's that night Sheila E, Prince, Kenny Logins etc. but others came from random other plaves. MJ had been at the stu hours before everyone, Bruce Springsteen came fresh from his tour, Bob Dylan who came from God knows where.. But on that night they all assembled together like the avengers and greatness happened.

Which is the one thing that annoyed me a bit... the documentary makes it look like the whole thing was recorded in one night, but it wasn't. James Ingram, Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles were invited to return to the studio days later, to record additional vocals. We know that footage that has been around for years.

But apart from that, I loved the documentary.

Elvis did take a tumble on Spotify this week though, he is at 316 falling from 103 I think. Christmas effect is wearing off.
But on the other hand his streaming numbers have definitely risen since the biopic.
There are no younger artists copying Elvis. His singing and performing style is very gimmicky and his music sounds dated, and not in a good way like Motowns musics that brings nostalgia and good feelings and is beloved by people of all races.

Elvis music only appeals to white americans who are boomer age or older. I NEVER hear Elvis music on the radio.

There are no younger artists copying Elvis. His singing and performing style is very gimmicky and his music sounds dated, and not in a good way like Motowns musics that brings nostalgia and good feelings and is beloved by people of all races.

Elvis music only appeals to white americans who are boomer age or older. I NEVER hear Elvis music on the radio.
Plenty of younger people like Elvis, and not just americans. Stop with the BS about something you clearly know nothing about

Last edited:
I watched it last night. It certainly did stand out to me that Prince couldn't put aside his ego for this cause. Seeing MJs name in the list of those who have passed at the end hit me in the feels a bit.

I watched it last night also. Pretty enjoyable, and overall felt like a much better presentation than the Thriller 40 documentary. Plenty of funny moments throughout too i.e. the story about Lionel meeting Muscles (Michael's snake).

💯And he didn't roll like that at the time. From a narrow view, he could come across as a jerk but in reality, it was way out of his comfort zone (at the time). He grew out of it later, it was right person, wrong time. It wasn't like it was just for this song either, Prince barely allowed his own engineers and bandmates to hear him lay down vocals for his own songs especially when recording very "moving" songs. This choice had nothing to do with Michael or the other artists, he knew the cause was important and still contributed in his own way. People tend to forget that Prince still recorded a song for the album, I'm tired of that same old narrative.
It's a good song too.

I wasn't gonna watch it, but tonight it was right on the front page, so I did

It wasn't bad. A bit too long though. At least they give Geldof credit for inspiring the whole thing.

If the estate & Sony were clever they would release the demo of WATW as a digital single on all platforms
That would just be weird. Would come across as desperate.

Maybe they will mention the Haiti version of We Are The World.
They didn't...

did it contain any profanity? this will determine whether or not I watch it.
I actually think there was some.

Last edited:
It doesn't make MJ any less of a genius if people also like Elvis or Prince - or anyone else...

Why do it seem some always tries to talk other artists down, like it somehow makes MJ bigger??

Elvis is and will always be HUGE. - Like Mozart and Beethoween. - And like MJ - immortal. They will never be forgotten.

BUT - back on the topic.

I saw this again - the nostalgia is it's biggest force. It's so great. I'm born in 1987 - but wow I miss those days. - No one is staniding with a phone, no one is busy promoting themselves on social media or anything. They are 100 % present and interacting with each other. So great.

This is back when we had true global mega stars. Some had been in the business for 40 years. - those that were young are still going strong.

I smiled thru the entire doc.

It doesn't make MJ any less of a genius if people also like Elvis or Prince - or anyone else...

Why do it seem some always tries to talk other artists down, like it somehow makes MJ bigger??

Elvis is and will always be HUGE. - Like Mozart and Beethoween. - And like MJ - immortal. They will never be forgotten.
Yeah but if my favorite music isn't like my favorite sports team, the best, then I'm WASTING MY TIME.

The end credits are like ...you see michael's name and you think to your self ''how can he possibily be dead he cant be

The Grammys took place last Sunday and we are just catching up with what happened! It’s always nice to have Michael Jackson’s name mentioned at the Grammys and this year we had few moments!

First of all, Paris Jackson turned up at the event, dressed in a black cut-out Celine gown, which she paired with simple gold jewelry. She also covered up all her 80 tattoos which surprised the fans. She said “Well, I like switching things up,” the 25-year-old said. “I love my tattoos, I love my piercings, I love all the body modification stuff, art, and also sometimes I don’t want it to distract from the art that is the fashion I’m wearing. And it gives the dress its own moment, you know?”

Asked if she saw the new Netflix documentary “The Greatest Night in Pop”, she said she didn’t know about it and hasn’t watch TV for months. She also left interviewers on their toes when they asked her how she feels about being at the Grammys knowing the history with her family (aka Michael of course) but she just smiled and ignore that.

But of course, being the daughter of the King of Pop, Michael’s name was all over the news the following day.

Grammys24-02.jpg

Music producer Khris Riddick-Tynes who won Best R&B Song at this year Grammys was wearing a single rhinestone glove, When asked if he is paying tribute to Michael Jackson, he said “I would not be doing music if it was not for Michael. I’ve been a big fan since I was birthed. And this glove is a replica of his Motown 25 when he did the first moonwalk…”

See his full speech here:

Grammys24-04.jpg

The next stop is of course Lionel Richie who presented the Grammys’ Song of the Year. During his introduction, Lionel mentioned the documentary “The Greatest Night in Pop” and Michael Jackson.

“For writing “We Are The World” with my dear friend Michael Jackson, holds a very special place in my heart forever and it means the world to me to present this Grammy Award honoring the art of songwriting”

Grammys24-03.jpg

We are now far from the trauma of 2019 and Michael Jackson name is getting stronger and stronger. Hopefully we will see more soon.

A fan mixed the demo and final version of the song together.

Damien Shields

@DamienShields
·
Feb 8
The new @Netflix documentary #TheGreatestNightInPop detailing the making of the charity single “We Are The World” (written by Michael Jackson and @LionelRichie) was the #1 MOST POPULAR film in the world last week, having been viewed 11.9 MILLION times! Bravo to all involved

What's the deal with Paris btw?

She's a stunning girl and doing well for herself but it's clear she has distanced herself from Michael.

We all know she's suffered mentally over the years so the constant association and people wanting to ask questions about father must be suffocating for someone who struggles with mental health.

Prince on the other hand has embraced Michael's legacy and is very much part of the estate.

We all know she's suffered mentally over the years so the constant association and people wanting to ask questions about father must be suffocating for someone who struggles with mental health.
It's almost as if MJ did the right thing hiding the kids. It's almost as if she should never have outed herself, and now she's made a massive mistake that she can't undo.

Back