nobody ever ranks Marvin Gaye over Stevie wonder huh?

Okay, he can, but not "really good"! He is a King though! The king of slop! lol. Okay, okay, enough of that.

If GMS's mom says it, it must be true, that's all I'm gonna say!

Last edited:
Honestly, it's hard to rank anyone above Stevie. On just vocal talent, I think Stevie is a little better then Marvin. And a little better then Sam. Though I think Sam had better styling then Stevie, as well as Marvin, I think he had better styling too.

But I think Michael is better then all three, lol.

I think Stevie has a wider range of styles than Marvin did. I'm a huge fan of both, but Stevie just has so many styles it's mind-boggling. His production work is pretty incredible too. "To Know You Is To Love You" with Syreeta is amazing. He wrote "Tears Of A Clown" for Smokey Robinson, he wrote "Let's Get Serious", "Tell Me Something Good" and also plays many instruments on his albums.

And his vocals are amazing too. He always sings live, and has for over fourty years. Before I was into Stevie, MJ was my favorite artist of all time, but Stevie has eclipsed him for me. If I ever got into Marvin, maybe my opinion would change. I listen to a lot of Marvin now, just not enough to where I'd rank him above Stevie.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=brKEX6jFja4

Last edited:
That is true, Superstition. I'm still amazed by Stevie's talent. He's just... a wonder. :lol: That whole Talking Book album is a masterpiece. "I Believe", "You & I", "Looking for Another Pure Love", "Blame It on the Sun" and "You've Got It Bad, Girl" are probably my favorite joints on that record.

You can't really rank one over the other, because they came up together. Marvin influenced Stevie and vice versa. And I totally disagree with the vocal range comment, Marvin's range is much stronger than Stevie's. The only thing Stevie really one up Marvin on was performing, Stevie was a better performer on stage than Marvin was.

TO me under MJ Stevie is the next in line for the greatest musical prodigy..

It amazes me..

I mean there is a reason that Michael himself said that Stevie influenced MJ musically the MOST over anyone..

I of course (and with good reason) choose Michael over everyone

but my number 2 is DEFINITELY Stevie!!!!! :yes:

You can't really rank one over the other, because they came up together. Marvin influenced Stevie and vice versa. And I totally disagree with the vocal range comment, Marvin's range is much stronger than Stevie's. The only thing Stevie really one up Marvin on was performing, Stevie was a better performer on stage than Marvin was.

Haha, Marvin HATED performing. He only did it for the money. :lol: But he was still captivating in his own unique way. :)

Haha, Marvin HATED performing. He only did it for the money. :lol: But he was still captivating in his own unique way. :)

And guess who taught Marvin how to work the crowd, be relaxed, enjoy performing, little Stevie himself. As I said before, Marvin and Stevie fed off each other, writing, producing, playing music, if you listen to their music, it sounds similiar.

And guess who taught Marvin how to work the crowd, be relaxed, enjoy performing, little Stevie himself. As I said before, Marvin and Stevie fed off each other, writing, producing, playing music, if you listen to their music, it sounds similiar.

I don't hear any similarities

I don't hear any similarities
they both had a soulful Pop background with strong Jazz Hybrids in there overall presentation with a Gospel feel.

Stevie had the accessible sound early on. Marvin didn't have it Solo per se except mainly in duets. now when Marvin did "What's going On" then Stevie was inspired to do a SuperWoman, innervisions. from the Songwriting, story-telling and overall hybrid of sounds and vocals you can hear Marvin all over Stevie.

Stevie is on Marvin when Marvin was doing more direct cross over stuff say when he did those albums with Diana Ross. they checked each other out and they also kept a eye and ear on Smokey Robinson as well.

Stevie and Marvin didn't exactly "teach each other", they were inspired by each other. That's a difference.

Stevie gave Marv props for "What's Going On" and how it inspired him to do more personal stuff, while Marvin gave Stevie props musically (the chant in "Time to Get It Together" where he's like "I've been racing against time/trying my best to find my way" was similar to Stevie's "We all know sometimes life's hates and troubles" in "As"; Marvin shouting out Stevie's name in "Praise").

They and Smokey were the kings of Motown.

I think vocally Stevie was more inspired by Donny Hathaway in this period.

I listen to them both equally, its so hard for me to choose my favourite. It depends on my mood at the time. But even then I cant choose. They are both "up there".

I totally disagree about vocal range... Stevie can hit incredibly high notes without breaking into his falsetto. His voice is that of an average man's (in terms of normal speaking voice), yet when he sings he can get into the lows and go incredibly high. Marvin sang the middle range in most of his songs, only occasional doing his little screams or breaking into falsetto every now and again.

Both are incredible singers, I just don't see how you can say Marvin's range is higher than Stevie's if you've heard certain Stevie songs.

Marvin's range definitly isn't as good as Stevie's. Maybe they're talking about stylistically, like the different range of music genres they sang in, though I wouldn't say Marvin's got Stevie beat on that either.

I can't really choose between the two because I love them both and it's always been that way. My mom raised me on Marvin, Stevie, O'Jays, Dramatics, James Brown, Aretha, Minnie, Rick James, Temptations, Donny, Michael, and others.

I think Marvin is playing drums on the studio version of Fingertips.

Marvin Gaye is a Genius..I love him and his music..What's Going On is a MASTERPIECE..from the lyrics to the production..one of my faves..and Stevie is a Genius as well..Songs in A Minor is my favorite album of his..
I think Marvin Gaye and Stevie are equal..no one is better than the other imo..
Btw, I can't seem to get over the fact that Marvin only has 1 grammy..smh..

Last edited:
Marvin Gaye is a Genius..I love him and his music..What's Going On is a MASTERPIECE..from the lyrics to the production..one of my faves..and Stevie is a Genius as well..Songs in A Minor is my favorite album of his..
I think Marvin Gaye and Stevie are equal..no one is better than the other imo..
Btw, I can't seem to get over the fact that Marvin only has 1 grammy..smh..

I can't believe it either...

I guess in the long run the Grammys don't really matter.

It's all about the artists' music impact and influence...

Marvin Gaye is AMAZING!

No one in their right mind would place Marvin over Stevie....esp not artistically.

I can't really choose between the two because I love them both and it's always been that way. My mom raised me on Marvin, Stevie, O'Jays, Dramatics, James Brown, Aretha, Minnie, Rick James, Temptations, Donny, Michael, and others.

I'm ALL old school to. ... I cant choose either. I LOVE them both. There both on the same level talented so I think its just what one prefers

Back