nobody ever ranks Marvin Gaye over Stevie wonder huh?

mistermaxxx

Proud Member
Huge fan of Both Artists,etc.. and got tons of albums but if you have ever notice nobody ever comes out and says that Marvin Gaye was Better than Stevie Wonder and why do you think that is? also do you know anybody who digs Marvin more than stevie?? speak on it.

I can't even say that either one was better than the other and this is coming from a big-time Marvin P. Gaye fanatic! :lol: Even Sam, though he was one of the FIRST, I have to say that among the Mount Rushmore of Soul (as Maxxx would say), Marvin, Sam, James, Stevie and Ray are right in there equally IMHO! The rest of them (not counting Otis or Donny or Al or Bobby or Sly as "the rest" since they're on ANOTHER PLATEAU IMHO) are just their siblings.

i love cooke. please expand on what your mother digs Sam more than them both. do tell.

I bet you her mother got more turned on by Sam and threw her panties on the stage at Sam when he was alive and kicking. :lol:

But I digress because it may just be the way he sang, lol. Which I can agree with her on that. His voice is SOOTHING...but so is Marvin so in THAT sense, they're EQUAL.

I bet you her mother got more turned on by Sam and threw her panties on the stage at Sam when he was alive and kicking. :lol:

But I digress because it may just be the way he sang, lol. Which I can agree with her on that. His voice is SOOTHING...but so is Marvin so in THAT sense, they're EQUAL.

A movie studio wanted Marvin to play Sam in a film, but Marvin didn't think he was in a league with Sam, and nothing ever became of it. As far as my mom, I don't know. She just thinks Sam is the best singer ever. And so does Rod Stewart, lol. My mom likes Marvin, but mostly the 1960s stuff. I like both Stevie & Marvin, but like Stevie better.

A movie studio wanted Marvin to play Sam in a film, but Marvin didn't think he was in a league with Sam, and nothing ever became of it. As far as my mom, I don't know. She just thinks Sam is the best singer ever. And so does Rod Stewart, lol. My mom likes Marvin, but mostly the 1960s stuff. I like both Stevie & Marvin, but like Stevie better.

Oh OK, that's all good. Sam's one of the ultimates! :yes:

Marvin also said that a reason he didn't wanna play Sam in a movie (I think he got the offer in 1966 or '67) was because he felt it odd to be playing a role about "a soul singer who got shot to death".

Very ironic considering the tragic circumstances of April 1, 1984. :(

Marvin back in the 60's wasn't ready for Sam vocally. he didn't have his thing down pat at that point,but the 70's era Marvin would have worked.

good points and cool thread.

But I dig the sixties Marvin stuff. It was like as time moved on from 1961-1969, he evolved from a rock & roll/R&B crooner in the style of Jackie Wilson, Ray Charles and Sam Cooke (all three he idolized, even though he wanted to be Frank Sinatra during this period) to a captivating soul singer by the time "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" and "Too Busy Thinking About My Baby" came around that by the time 1970-71 rolled around, Marvin knew what to do with his career. What's Going On put Marvin on a plateau that few R&B artists reached at the time, much like his idols and contemporaries had.

Matter of fact I say Marvin's high point was 1971-1978.

Stevie was just F***KING BRILLIANT in the 1970s! I mean, to be honest, when you put out back-to-back-to-back barn stormers of ALBUMS, you done reached the peak. That's why albums like Talking Book and Innervisions were so special. Especially Talking Book, since the same thing Michael did with Thriller, you could make an argument that Stevie did the same with Talking Book.

I can't even say that either one was better than the other and this is coming from a big-time Marvin P. Gaye fanatic! :lol: Even Sam, though he was one of the FIRST, I have to say that among the Mount Rushmore of Soul (as Maxxx would say), Marvin, Sam, James, Stevie and Ray are right in there equally IMHO! The rest of them (not counting Otis or Donny or Al or Bobby or Sly as "the rest" since they're on ANOTHER PLATEAU IMHO) are just their siblings.

I never got Otis Redding. Peter Gabriel said that Otis was his favorite all time singer, which seems a little odd considering Genesis' 1970s music, lol. He said 'Sledgehammer' was a tribute to Otis & the Stax sound. But where I come from Johnnie Taylor was IT. He didn't write that much, but he didn't need to.

I never got Otis Redding. Peter Gabriel said that Otis was his favorite all time singer, which seems a little odd considering Genesis' 1970s music, lol. He said 'Sledgehammer' was a tribute to Otis & the Stax sound. But where I come from Johnnie Taylor was IT. He didn't write that much, but he didn't need to.

I love me some Johnnie Taylor now. ;)

I like Marvins music but I allways felt that Stevies voice alot more powerfull

name me some songs I should listen to :p

i'm at the point where I'm looking for music to listen to lol

I liked Abraham, Martin & John too but I just didnt know who he was reffering to when he said John (the other 2 are obvious lol)

Anna's song I couldnt get into, Yesterday is my favourate out of all of them :yes:

I liked Abraham, Martin & John too but I just didnt know who he was reffering to when he said John (the other 2 are obvious lol)

Anna's song I couldnt get into, Yesterday is my favourate out of all of them :yes:

He was talking about John Kennedy. Since John Lennon was still very much alive when this was recorded, it was about Kennedy.

I understand why Anna's Song wouldn't have been your cup of tea. But I love the part where he's screaming his ex-wife's name up an octave every time. That's really why I posted that one. ^_^

He was talking about John Kennedy. Since John Lennon was still very much alive when this was recorded, it was about Kennedy.

I understand why Anna's Song wouldn't have been your cup of tea. But I love the part where he's screaming his ex-wife's name up an octave every time. That's really why I posted that one. ^_^
O right how did I miss that one :doh:

I think I can get into his music judging from what I've heard so far, as allways thanks, you have great taste in music :flowers:

Last edited:
That's true. I'll have to ask my mom about the new King. So much more substance than Thriller in his joints. Oh, and his nickname is Criss Breezy. MJ never had a cool nickname like Criss Breezy. Looks like student is surpassing master

Back