Off The Wall 35th Anniversary: What is your wishlist?

I'll give the reimaginings a chance. Hey, Xscape gave us some surprises, didn't it?

Of course it'll be a little harder to swallow considering the material as well as who is involved (I'm sure we all wouldn't necessarily say no to another Justin Timberlake contribution, perhaps minus vocals) but who knows?

Re-imagined tracks of existing, perfect songs? Isn't that the same as remixes?
No.
I will take doc and demos too if they sell separately. :)

I can't wait for the Pitbull remix featuring Justin Bieber!!!!!!

As long as we have access to the originals, I'm always up for re-imagining of the songs; there's even been a few occasions where I prefer the reimagined version over Michael's version. I would really only want re-imaginings for unreleased songs though, it's hard to improve on the released material for this era :p

I'm really hoping they go do something awesome with the packaging and presentation of the album, if this actually does come to light. Something along the lines of what Paul McCartney and his team do for the reissues of his solo albums (see here if you're not familiar).

I got the Bad 25 boxset when it came out, that ~$60 one with the studio album, new 25th Anniversary disc, Wembley DVD and CD as well as a poster and two super cool photo booklets. I liked the presentation of what was inside the box but the box itself is somewhat impractical. If you want to get something, you usually have to dig everything out rather than just open the box and go immediately for what you want. It feels nice and deluxe in your hands but the design could've been better.

I also can't wait for ''Rock With You ultra boring remix'' featuring Ed Sheeran

any news on when this will be announced? If it comes out in November surely there will be an announcement either this month or next.

any news on when this will be announced? If it comes out in November surely there will be an announcement either this month or next.

Nope. Let's assume it does come out November, the announcement could be as late as October. Xscape was announced 1st April (or last of March depending on your timezone) and released on 13th May. VISION/Michael was announced beginning of November 2010 and released December 14 2010. I think the Immortal album was announced and released in a similar time frame as well, I can't remember, never got it.

Bad 25 was a standout I remember, being announced in May sometime so we had a good 3-4 months before it's release.

^ But Timbaland posted a video about making Xscape in the summer of 2013.

^ But Timbaland posted a video about making Xscape in the summer of 2013.

True, I was focusing more on official announcements made by the Estate though. I don't think they mentioned anything Xscape-wise until late February when that STTR ad aired (which I just remembered)... even then Xscape still wasn't announced for about another month... but yeah.

Prediction:
Don't Stop Til You Get Enough demo
Workin Day And Night demo
I Can't Help It demo
She's Out Of My Life demo
Can't Get Out Of The Rain
Sunset Driver
Rock With You extended version
Get On The Floor extended version
1/2 unreleased songs
2/3 remixes

I want that ever since I heard this remix.

Wow, you mean to tell me this stuff has been online for over a year and I was completely unaware of it??? :doh: Gee, what a terrible, igggggnurant fan I are :p I wonder what other stuff I'm unaware of............:popcorn:

Get on the floor IS one my favorite songs on the album, second only to Workin' day and night. The title track is pretty awesome as well, except for that scary laughter which I still find spooky. The spirit of the song and certain lyrics though certainly make up for that.

"There's no satisfaction in words without action"

Them words right there are soooo darn interesting they become serious contenders for a change of siggy LOL. And the way he sings them, ohhhhh, don't even get me started on that part :cheeky:

Wow, you mean to tell me this stuff has been online for over a year and I was completely unaware of it??? :doh: Gee, what a terrible, igggggnurant fan I are :p I wonder what other stuff I'm unaware of............:popcorn:

I have only heard the extra verse in this remix version. I have no idea how the DJ got hold of this material. I'd love to hear the original, so I hope that extended version of GOTF will be included.

I mainly want to hear outtakes that Michael completed when he was working on Off the Wall. I wouldn't mind a few remixes, although most of the remixes that have been done for rereleases like this have been bad, IMO. The only one I liked was "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' 2008". If there are gonna be remixes, I'd like them to be by Darkchild, Pharrell and Timbaland.

Timbaland needs to be brought back. Some of his work on Xscape outdid the demos.

I agree!

Timbaland worked with Michael and he's good. What's not to love?

OTW, does not need to be messed up by Timbaland or anyone IMO, it's perfect as it is. But if people think this would somehow be a selling point then put the remixes on a Disk 2 or something with clearly labelling them as remixes. Not "contemporarized" versions but remixes. It's pretty ridiculous that such a perfect, classic, influential album like OTW would need "contemporarizing". Does Dark Side of the Moon or Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band or Graceland need "contemporarizing"? If they want to do this, it's clearly only for marketing reasons, which I understand to a certain extent, but they need to make it clear this is just some sort of tribute by current artists and not "contemporarizing" as if there is something wrong with the originals.

And if they need to to this by any means, I'd rather hear someone else's take on it now than Timbaland's. Well, he clearly was one of the main current artists/producers influenced by OTW so he can have one song, alright, but please do not make it an all-Timbaland project. I think they could also have artists like Bruno Mars, Pharrell, Daft Punk, Mark Ronson, Beyoncé etc. But this is really only to maybe draw the attention of fans of current artists on an album that influenced their faves. I am personally not too interested in the remixes part. Thriller 25 showed that nothing can top the originals and that such remixes usually become dated in a year while the originals will always remain the real classics.

Last edited:
respect77;4104243 said:
OTW, does not need to be messed up by Timbaland or anyone IMO, it's perfect as it is. .
Off the Wall IS perfect. First note to last. Every second of that album is perfect. I can't even imagine someone even considering tampering with any song on it.

If they have to do something with current artists like Bruno, Beyoncé, etc. maybe a disc of "covers." Like Beyoncé singing 'I can't help it' (although I really love Esparanza Spaulding's version.)

I think Thriller 25 is horrible.

Beyonce has no business on this album nor does Pharrell. Bruno I guess I would tolerate seeing as how I do enjoy his music, but he'll continually be trying to out sing Michael rather than doing his own thing.

StarGate too. I love their version of APWNN (my favourite track on Xscape) and prefer it over the demo.

How could I forget them? I don't care for the demo whatsoever - their version is excellent!

If people think this would somehow be a selling point then put the remixes on a Disk 2 or something with clearly labelling them as remixes. Not "contemporarized" versions but remixes. It's pretty ridiculous that such a perfect, classic, influential album like OTW would need "contemporarizing". Does Dark Side of the Moon or Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band or Graceland need "contemporarizing"?

Amen. I understand the reasoning for XScape's contemparized songs because they chose to sell rough/unfinished & unheard/unreleased material to the younger/newer market (the MJ Fandom is a niche market after all.) Personally, I don't like them, but that's because I'm an old MJ fan that dates back to the 90's, and I know more than the average radio listener IE: I'm part of that niche market. I can justify Thriller 25 remixes on the album (even though they're terrible / whatever happened to Fergalicious ... ) because Michael himself put them on there. I would be terribly disappointed if they messed around with Off The Wall, though if Bad25 is anything to go by in terms of audio material, I don't think that'll be the case. We live in the age of downloading/streaming, so I don't think putting out the Standard CD Edition plus a Deluxe Edition with CD/DVD and a (oh goodie) sticker/poster is gonna work this time? Sometimes the simplest formula is the easiest formula. Just include 1 disc of the Off The Wall album as Michael left it, and other disc(s) with the unreleased songs, remixes, and documentary. If you want to get crazy, throw in some new photos into the booklet, or add a keychain :p If anything else, just please please please don't mess up the documentary with talking heads, and actually provide people that were actively involved in the project/era/etc. It's great that Justin Bieber's biggest influence is Michael Jackson, but it doesn't belong on a documentary of such importance that takes time/space away from people who were actually there creating the moments IMO. Sidenote: If Quincy Jones shows up on this project (fingers crossed) ... I will eat my hat.

Last edited:
Beyonce has no business on this album nor does Pharrell. Bruno I guess I would tolerate seeing as how I do enjoy his music, but he'll continually be trying to out sing Michael rather than doing his own thing.

Well, Timbaland has no more buisness on an MJ album than any of them to be honest. I personally could do without any of them. Especially on an album that's just perfect as it is and it really does not need remixing IMO. I have no interest in Beyonce singing Rock with You or Bruno singing Working Day and Night but neither in Timbaland "contemporarizing" Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough, to be honest. The whole thing is just supposed to be a PR stunt I guess. I see no artistic value in it, just like there's no artistic value in the Thriller 25 remixes. But maybe it will be a different concept, different format. Something that can be interesting for MJ fans.

Last edited:
Beyonce has no business on this album nor does Pharrell.

How does Pharrell have any less business on the album than Timbaland? Pharrell, like Timbaland, is a well-known producer and plenty of his material is particularly influenced by Off The Wall. I personally would love to hear him do a remix.

But if people think this would somehow be a selling point then put the remixes on a Disk 2 or something with clearly labelling them as remixes. Not "contemporarized" versions but remixes. It's pretty ridiculous that such a perfect, classic, influential album like OTW would need "contemporarizing". Does Dark Side of the Moon or Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band or Graceland need "contemporarizing"? If they want to do this, it's clearly only for marketing reasons, which I understand to a certain extent, but they need to make it clear this is just some sort of tribute by current artists and not "contemporarizing" as if there is something wrong with the originals.

I mean, I don't care as much as I used to about how many albums Michael Jackson sells anymore, he already proved himself when he was alive (in saying that, if any new albums do sell a lot - YAY!!). So for me, it's not really to try and sell more albums.

I personally would be interested to see how these songs can be remixed in a more contemporary manner. I feel Nero did a good job with Speed Demon on Bad 25, Timbaland and StarGate as well with Xscape. Is it needed? Absolutely not, the original album is perfect in it's own right, but it'd be cool to see new interpretations of the work. I know that some of the members here aren't interested in remixes, which is allgood so just skip the songs or don't rip them (I haven't ripped Pitbull's remix off Bad 25. I often forget it exists tbh).

Off the Wall is not an album that needs contemporising; in fact it has done a great job of staying timeless like DSOTM and Sgt. Peppers so what I have in mind falls more within the lines of remixes than contemporisations. I'd really love to see Daft Punk work on a remix actually. Whatever the Estate do, the original version of the album (which is perfect in it's own right) should absolutely remain untouched on Disc 1. Whatever new contemporisations/remixes come to light as a result should not take precedence over the originals on the album, instead made clear as a tribute to the original.

The previous producers from Xscape, minus McClain need to be let go and not brought back. They raped Michael's great music and turned it into a pile of 21st century crap. Instead of setting the bar like Michael did for so many years, they followed it, like Invincible did in 2001.

Off The Wall is a classic. Leave it the F alone. Thriller 25 was ruined by BS remixes. Don't make the same mistake for a 3rd time. Either slap some unreleased material on it, with some demos, or don't do it at all. I go for not doing it, take the year off, and work on a can't miss Dangerous 25 collection for 2016.

I'm very hyped up for this documentary since Bad 25 was so awesome! Can't wait for the release! Blu ray all the way! (y)

Back