Off The Wall 35th Anniversary: What is your wishlist?

OTW is probably the easiest album for the Estate (well, apart from Thriller, but we already had a T25). It's a fun, easily accesible album, but also critically acclaimed, its sound inspired a lot of today's artists and music, it's coming from an uncontroversial era of Michael etc. So if they mess this project up that would only be their fault. Hopefully they do it right.

As for remixes. I get it the point is - theoretically at least - to appeal to today's general public, but I fail to see how that was accomplished on Bad 25 with those remixes. It's not like they were big hits and did anything for the selling of that project. And although Thriller 25 sold a lot better than Bad 25 somehow I doubt that was thanks to those horrible remixes when they did not do anything on the charts as singles. In any case in the hindsight Thriller 25 is considered a wasted opportunity by many fans. Those 2008 remixes are very dated by now, no one cares about them instead of the classic originals. They are a waste of space. For fans that space would definitely have been better used with more demos, alternative takes etc and that would have made the album's artistic value more presistent than with those remixes which were dated already by next year. But if they are going to make remixes at least let them be by some quality artist not the Pitbulls and Fergies of this world.

Sorry... but they don't need to do "fake". They got Buenos Aires snippets first (leaked later), they got Bremen snippets and also they were at the pre-release of XSCAPE last year. ;D

Why should they need to "fake" it? Come on... :ph34r:
Ummm

HOW CAN I BE WRONG?! HOW COULD I BE THIS BLIND?!
Lol

Thanks for posting that.
hysterical.gif

Ok. Ok.
It WAS fake. NOW it's not because the estate and Sony.

So.......

I was just wanting a documentary. Now MJBeats came and did those videos. Don't get me wrong, MJB is amazing. But, now a fake thing becomes a real thing, put this down foe MJ firsts, am I right?

Hahaha sorry dude but its not fake.
The big proof is the footage in the end of the promo with MJ talking about "I want to do things that have never been done before".
Where is this footage?
The second proof is the estate asking to take down.

MJ Beats is a serious community of MJ, these guys will never make jokes about it.
Clearly official.

The promo video is pretty much extinct right now - it can't be found anywhere. At least not by me or others.

On top of that, one would imagine the Estate (given the fact that they're usually quite adept when it comes to certain leaks) would have issued a statement by now if the video was fake.

The best hypothesis - it leaked early.

Waiting got a Blu-Ray tour release is like waiting for a brick to become tender, fingers crossed it's not too far away

OTW is probably the easiest album for the Estate (well, apart from Thriller, but we already had a T25). It's a fun, easily accesible album, but also critically acclaimed, its sound inspired a lot of today's artists and music, it's coming from an uncontroversial era of Michael etc. So if they mess this project up that would only be their fault. Hopefully they do it right.

As for remixes. I get it the point is - theoretically at least - to appeal to today's general public, but I fail to see how that was accomplished on Bad 25 with those remixes. It's not like they were big hits and did anything for the selling of that project. And although Thriller 25 sold a lot better than Bad 25 somehow I doubt that was thanks to those horrible remixes when they did not do anything on the charts as singles. In any case in the hindsight Thriller 25 is considered a wasted opportunity by many fans. Those 2008 remixes are very dated by now, no one cares about them instead of the classic originals. They are a waste of space. For fans that space would definitely have been better used with more demos, alternative takes etc and that would have made the album's artistic value more presistent than with those remixes which were dated already by next year. But if they are going to make remixes at least let them be by some quality artist not the Pitbulls and Fergies of this world.

First let me comment on the parent album. Off The Wall - the greatest disco-infused album, it is both the most critically acclaimed (ranked number #68 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time) and commercially successful disco-infused album worldwide with 20 million copies. It's the kind of album in which it's genre means less to it's listeners. It's the kind of album that can be excused for it's genre. People may not like disco but have no problem listening to Off The Wall. It is a timeless classic. It defines disco tropes. It's really a proto-dance music album before dance music existed.

As for the first track, lead single and his first adult solo recording that shot number #1 and won him his first grammy; What can I say, this recording really illustrates all his key (signature strengths) elements of arrangement/production that made MJ's songs distinct from most other pop/R&B/funk/uptempo songs:

Memorable intro/outro
complex rhythm/percussion arrangement
Instrumental solo (guitar in this case)
Harmonic layers
Lyrical Dissonance (to some degree)

Waiting got a Blu-Ray tour release is like waiting for a brick to become tender, fingers crossed it's not too far away
In the case they dont release the tour then I need full performances of OTW, SOOML, RWY, WDAN and DSTYGE on documentary.

Did no one grab the advert?? Missed it before it was taken down...

*5 unreleased songs
*3 remixes
*Blu-ray Triumph tour
Special collectors edition with
*documentary/extended edition
*2 bonus tracks (2001 special edition tracks)
*1 bonus remix
*Special booklet

Anyone agree?

Isn't going to happen, but an all analog vinyl reissue

"Dont expect any tour in full for this release." - directly from Richard LeCocq

*insert reasonable expression of disappointment that still shows excitement for the release itself*

*insert unreasonable expression of disappointment and negative critiques of the estate*

"Dont expect any tour in full for this release." - directly from Richard LeCocq

*insert reasonable expression of disappointment that still shows excitement for the release itself*

*insert unreasonable expression of disappointment and negative critiques of the estate*

Who is that?

Soooo annoying that this isn't even a 35th anniversary because it's been 36 years...not 35. I get they probably had to shelve it because of Xscape, but I bet sales would have skyrocketed if they pushed both projects, if the anniversary date was special.

Then again, all those crazy 2001 special editions for no reason... ::shrug:: whatever. It would be cool to get an entire package though - tours, demos, unreleased, etc. I'd also love - and I know the Estate would never do this, but omg it'd be so cool - an EP or separate disc or something of all the extra stuff Michael was doing at the time, like all the songs he featured on. Such as:

There are others he did stuff like this for during that time period but I can't remember/find them. I love love love LOVE LVOE LOVE the Dave Mason track, and I think it is just freakin' cool how that song came together with Michael.

THAT is the stuff I'd love to see. He was doing a lot of collaboration and was just crazy busy - working with the brothers, others in the industry, the Wiz, and you know, immediately after all that, creating a freaking phenomenal album. How he had the energy for it all blows my mind. 1978 - 1983 he was just insanely productive.

That was well done. Very funny.
yes, extremely well done. It was like every single gripe I have ever read here regarding the posthumous releases all rolled up into one hilarious minute.

I just love it. Some people are so clever.

ive got a feeling that video is fake especially with the high quality of the other parody and i just cant see the estate putting 'rare unreleased demos' and when it says new songs reimagined by other artists that would normally be a place to change the audio to those things

that clip at the end is great, will be buying the unreleased tracks & documentary.. nothing else though.

Back