Official MJJC Support Thread - Japanese Tsunami

http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/04/85020.html
Japan ups Fukushima nuke crisis severity to 7, same as Chernobyl

TOKYO, April 12, Kyodo

Japan on Tuesday raised the severity level of the ongoing emergency at the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant from level 5 to the maximum 7 on an international scale, recognizing that the tsunami-caused accident matches the world's worst nuclear catastrophe in 1986 at Chernobyl.

The government's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency upgraded its provisional evaluation based on an estimate that radioactive materials far exceeding the criteria for level 7 have so far been released into the external environment, but added that the release from the Fukushima plant is about 10 percent of that from the former Soviet nuclear plant.

The nuclear regulatory agency under the Economy, Trade and Industry Ministry and the Nuclear Safety Commission of Japan, a government panel, said that between 370,000 and 630,000 terabecquerels of radioactive materials have been emitted into the air from the Nos. 1 to 3 reactors of the plant.
The plant operator Tokyo Electric Power Co. offered an apology to the public for being still unable to stop the radiation leakage, pointing to the possibility that the total emission of radioactive substances could eventually surpass that of the Chernobyl incident.
The safety commission said it estimates the release has come down to under 1 terabecquerel per hour.
Hirose of the Cabinet Office ruled out the possibility that the evacuation zone set by the government within 20 kilometers from the plant will be reviewed following the upgrading of the severity level.
The INES only reflects radiation emitted into the air, and Japan needs to independently assess the severity of the incident by also monitoring contamination levels in the sea and soil, he said.

Earlier, the safety commission released a preliminary calculation for the cumulative amount of radiation, saying it has exceeded the yearly limit of 1 millisievert in areas extending more than 60 km northwest of the plant and about 40 km south-southwest of the plant.

Within the 20-km exclusion zone, the amount varied from under 1 millisievert to 100 millisieverts or more, and in the 20-30 km ring where residents are asked to stay indoors it came to nearly 50 millisieverts.

==Kyodo

------
http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/201/04/85030.html
Workers start removing toxic water in level 7-rated nuke crisis

TOKYO, April 13, Kyodo
Some 700 tons are to be transferred to a ''condenser'' where in normal operations steam created from the reactor is converted into water. The operation is expected to take 40 hours.

Still there is a long road ahead to remove a total of some 60,000 tons of contaminated water, found in the basements of the Nos. 1 to 3 reactor turbine buildings as well as the trenches connected to them, and to store it in nearby tanks and other areas.
Economy, Trade and Industry Minister Banri Kaieda told a press conference a large part of the radioactive materials release took place in the early days of the crisis when hydrogen explosions occurred, and that Tokyo Electric, known as TEPCO, is working hard to prevent a recurrence.

''As we have not been completely able to block radioactive substances from scattering, it is true that the amount of release would continue to increase...but we do not expect at this moment that the amount would drastically increase,'' Kaieda said.

While the strong aftershock on Monday resulted in the suspension of an operation to inject nitrogen into the No. 1 reactor to reduce the potential risks of hydrogen explosion, the government's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency said that the work resumed and was not affected in the Tuesday afternoon quake.

------
A recount of the events and communications between TEPCO and the government on the very first day, with lots of new info, a must read: http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/national/T110411004567.htm

-----
http://michiganmessenger.com/48140/group-recommends-steps-to-limit-fallout-exposure

A French radiation research group is recommending that pregnant and nursing women and small children in Europe limit consumption of fresh milk and cheese and leafy vegetables in order to reduce exposure to radioactive fallout from the ongoing Fukushima nuclear disaster.

A report by the research group CRIIRAD states that spinach, cabbage and other vegetables with large surface areas are especially sensitive to iodine-131 contamination in rainwater, and that fresh milk and creamy cheeses can be contaminated if made from the milk of animals that have grazed on grass, Euractiv.com reports.
Last week the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency found that milk in Phoenix and Little Rock contained more than the maximum allowable level of iodine-131. It also found cesium-137 in milk from Vermont.
-----
Radioactive Japanese cars detained in Russia’s Far East (20 cars, twice the amount of normal radiation)
http://rt.com/news/prime-time/radioactive-japanese-cars-russia/
------
A website worth visiting: http://www.helencaldicott.com/about/

That is just heartbreaking. Those poor animals! My heart bleeds...

That is just heartbreaking. Those poor animals! My heart bleeds...

My heart is broken. I just don't know. . . . . For those cattle, if they'd just OPENED the gates to the pens? At least that? The cattle could have found water, eaten grass? Even though it was toxic, they would have had more good days of life? Or, and I hate to say this, but the farmers' could have euthanized them before they left? Dying of thirst must be utterly terrible. I'm sure we don't even know a fraction of the tragedies. . . . .

I am a kind person, but I DO know what I'd like to have happen to the TEPCO officials, who lied to the public for years, and are still lying. Luckily, it's not up to me. . . . .

More heartbreak :(
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ad-radiation-survivors.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
Girl, 8, among tsunami victims denied help after fears they could spread radiation to other survivors

By Richard Shears
Last updated at 9:53 AM on 13th April 2011

# Tests needed before people made homeless are allowed into shelters
# Thousands suspected of contamination told 'don't come near'

An eight-year-old girl is among scores of people refused medical help or shelter in Japan because of fears they could be contaminated by radiation and could pass it on to others.

People who have been made homeless as a result of the leakage of radiation at the Fukushima nuclear plant, 135 miles north of Tokyo, have to be screened and then given an 'all clear' certificate.

If they do not have a certificate, they are being told they cannot be allowed into evacuation centres amid fears that they might be a 'hibakusha' - a person contaminated by radiation.

The ban is a reminder of the discrimination suffered by irradiated survivors of the atomic bombings at Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Misguided rumours suggested they could make other people ill.

The father of an eight-year-old girl said she was refused treatment for a skin condition in a hospital in Fukushima city because she did not have a screening certificate.

--------------------
Absent TEPCO execs slowed crucial action (follow-up to the article from yesterday)

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/national/T110412006319.htm
The Yomiuri Shimbun

This is the second installment in a series focusing on delays in implementing emergency steps by the government and Tokyo Electric Power Co. to deal with the unprecedented nuclear crisis at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant.

It took TEPCO about 15 hours to vent steam from the nuclear reactor vessel at the Fukushima facility's No. 1 reactor, despite having recognized the need to do so by the evening of March 11.

A major reason for the delay is believed to have been the malfunction of an automatic switch for a pressure-regulating valve on the containment vessel due to the loss of power, compounded by a delay in opening the valve after switching the device to manual operation.

According to some observers, Prime Minister Naoto Kan's on-site inspection of disaster-stricken areas on the morning of March 12 may also have contributed to the delay. "TEPCO might've held off the venting so the prime minister wouldn't be exposed to radiation," one observer said.

At a press conference Thursday, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano hinted at his distrust in the power utility. "[TEPCO] didn't explain why it hadn't started [the venting] yet. We'd already issued an order [to do so]," he said.

Edano's remark has aroused speculation that the absence of top TEPCO officials from the company early on in the crisis might have adversely affected the company's decision-making process regarding the venting of steam from the reactor.
[here the article recounts where the directors were away on business and their troubles getting back because of the earthquake/tsunami disruptions]

The firm's top two executives did not arrive at its Tokyo headquarters until about 20 hours after the earthquake.

"There was no problem with the chain of command since we kept in touch by cell phone," according to one TEPCO official. But during that time, the firm faced a series of major decisions.

From the evening of March 11, the Prime Minister's Office and other authorities had asked TEPCO repeatedly to vent the reactor, but the operation did not take place until 10:17 a.m. after Shimizu had arrived at the main office.

The decision to inject seawater to cool the reactor cores was another big call, but did not begin until past 8 p.m. on March 12 after Katsumata returned to Japan.

Venting a reactor heightens the risk of radioactive contamination. This decision could place enormous social responsibility on the company and also make it liable for substantial damages. And injecting water into a reactor core essentially destroys it. One reactor costs about 100 billion yen to replace.

A company's shareholders generally are informed before such major actions are taken,
and they are not the type of orders that can easily be conveyed over a mobile phone from the Kansai region or China.
(Apr. 13, 2011)
-----
It's all about money...

From CNN. There ARE some good people in the world. . . . .

@font-face { font-family: "Cambria"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; } http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/04/13/japan.nuclear.pets/index.html?hpt=T2

t1larg.fukushima.dog.gi.jpg

A dog wanders Tuesday about 4 miles from Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant in Futaba, Fukushima Prefecture, Japan.

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

• Many owners left pets behind when evacuations were ordered
  • "We tried to save him, but we couldn't get in," one says
  • Japan has no plans to retrieve animals from contaminated areas

Tokyo (CNN) -- The image was horrific: A whimpering beagle, ribs showing through its fur, tethered to a post inside the no-go zone around the worst nuclear accident since Chernobyl.

The scene was captured by freelance journalists who drove through towns within a few kilometers of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, and who left food for the animal. But animal rescue activists who have braved the exclusion zone around the plant say there many others like it.

"I understand the nuclear danger and everything, but they're just being left to starve to death, basically," saidIsabella Gallaon-Aoki of Japan Earthquake Animal Rescue and Support.

Gallaon-Aoki and others like her have been slipping into the 20-km radius around Fukushima Daiichi to retrieve pets and feed livestock left behind when their owners were forced to evacuate. Pet owners have sent her group their addresses, accompanied by pleas to rescue their animals, left behind when they fled for what was supposed to be a short time.

A month later, the volunteers are putting their long-term health on the line, putting on protective gear and entering the 20-km radius around the plant that was declared off-limits in the early days of the crisis. Hiroko Ito's 5-year-old Shiba, Non, is among those rescued by Gallaon-Aoki's group. Ito said she left food for the dog, but didn't expect to be gone a month.

"We tried to save him, but we couldn't get in," Ito said.

Radiation levels recorded by photographers Shuji Ogawa and Naomi Toyoda were not high enough to cause immediate illness, but would pose potential health risks with prolonged exposure. Gallaon-Aoki said she knows the risks, "but I feel personally that the risk that there is is worth taking for what I can achieve by doing so."

From the prime minister's office to town halls, Japanese authorities told CNN they have no provisions for dealing with animals when their owners are ordered to clear out -- orders that have been expanded to other towns around the crippled power plant, which has been emitting radioactive particles since the March 11 earthquake and tsunami that knocked out its coolant systems.
Gallaon-Aoki called that "unforgivable."

"I understand they have a huge problem as far as people are concerned. They are dealing with a lot," she said. "But, I mean, there are people and groups who would be willing to help, and surely they could kind of set some sort of well-coordinated effort."
The fate of the tethered beagle Ogawa and Toyoda captured on video was not known early Thursday.

I don't know what to say. I am heart broken. Those people risking their lives to help those innocent animals truly are angels.

please pray for Japan. there are many many suffered people yet.
they lost house, family and lover...

But we have strong heart. so we stand up again sure.

please pray for Japan. there are many many suffered people yet.
they lost house, family and lover...

But we have strong heart. so we stand up again sure.

You have my prayers. I also donated to Red Cross. That is all I can do: pray and donate...I know that you are all suffering...These are tough times for Japan...God help you all....

You have my prayers. I also donated to Red Cross. That is all I can do: pray and donate...I know that you are all suffering...These are tough times for Japan...God help you all....

thank you for your prayer and donate.
we do the best! ;)

and I wanna listen to 'Heal the world' 'We are the wordl' 'Earth song' as for such time..

I've been watching CNN as well, and I just can't understand how anyone can leave their pets behind like that! I mean, those pets are parts of those people's families. I can't imagine leaving my house and leaving my parrots alone in the abandoned flat. How can anyone do that to their animals? And what's more horrible, some people leave their dogs chained so that they can't even look for food. That's outrageous.

almost people thought that we can be back soon,, not stay long time..
so they didn't take pets.

but after leave home, they knew that they couldn't come back home for a long time.

Government and electric company didn't say to them the truth...

almost people are hurting for their pets.. ;_;
they want to meet their pets..
they are their family...

The aftershocks seems to never end. 0..0

The level of radioactivity has been upgraded to 7, this is just as terrible, if not worse (since we're being disinformed a lot) than the Chernobyl one. I'm sorry.. but I really feel this is something way, way off with this dreadful situation. I don't feel this to be completely natural, I've mentioned The High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program before, a ionospheric research program jointly funded by the US Air Force, the US Navy, the University of Alaska and the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency. Due to the devastation occurring with nuclear plants, lots of ionizing radiation is being emitted. I'm also thinking about Hiroshima and Nagasaki, which were other most severe nuclear attacks, although obviously planned.... And much more 'in-your-face', marking the end of WW2. Times have changed, though, and technology is much more perverse nowadays and much more discrete. ..

This just doesn't feel normal. Sorry for this rant, I may be way off, but I had to express this. ..

but after leave home, they knew that they couldn't come back home for a long time.

they are their family...

That is so incredibly sad. I understand, about pets being family. I am so very sorry. . . . I think that TEPCO officials should be required to go and get the pets!!!!!!!!!

they are their family...
this is so terribly heartbreaking....I have pets and I love them like my family....I will continue to pray for Japan and its people.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ca...qM5ipxKYmZLxI_I97k_jl17WDQdazIg?docId=6563058

Malfunction forces Czech nuclear reactor shut down for 2nd time in April, plant says no danger

By The Associated Press – 1 day ago

PRAGUE — An official says a Czech nuclear power plant is shutting down one of its four reactors for the second time this month due to a malfunction that poses no safety threat.

Petr Spilka, spokesman for the Dukovany nuclear plant says the problem occurred on one of the reactor's 12 fittings that regulates the flow of water. Spilka says the hot irradiated water is not leaking but the flow is higher than usual.

He said Thursday it would take several days to fix the problem, which last occurred in the plant in 1985.

The plant had to shut down the same reactor April 1 for several days due to a pipe leaking irradiated water.

Possible new leaks of radioactivity after earthquake today. High levels of radioactivity found in seawater. Will this ever END?

@font-face { font-family: "Cambria"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }a:link, span.MsoHyperlink { color: blue; text-decoration: underline; }a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed { color: purple; text-decoration: underline; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; } http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42621880/ns/world_news-asiapacific/

Even though it's drifted from front-page news, the problems at Fukushima are far from over. Plus, the problems with nuclear energy are not ONLY a Japanese problem. This (below), today from CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/04/22/georgia.nuclear.plant/index.html?hpt=T2
#yiv324208855 .yiv324208855cnn_sectt4cntnt { overflow: visible; }#yiv324208855 .yiv324208855cnnOpin { }#yiv324208855 .yiv324208855cnnOpin a.yiv324208855realmLink { font-weight: bold; font-size: 11px; color: rgb(0, 66,
1px.gif
1px.gif
#yiv324208855 .yiv324208855cnnFBRecBtn { width: 336px; float: right; margin: 10px 0pt; clear: both; }#yiv324208855 .yiv324208855cnnFBRecBtnBot { width: 420px; margin: 30px 0pt 15px 186px; }#yiv324208855 .yiv324208855cnn_strycntntlft { clear: boGeorgia nuclear reactor shuts down; investigation under way

By the CNN Wire Staff
April 22, 2011 11:30 a.m. EDT
t1larg.ga.nuclear.plant.gi.jpg

A nuclear reactor at Plant Vogtle near Waynesboro, Georgia, shut down earlier this week, the Southern Co. says.

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • A Georgia nuclear reactor shut down automatically this week
  • An investigation into the cause of the shutdown is under way
  • Southern Co., which runs the reactor, says public safety was never in jeopardy
  • Plant operators intend to restart the reactor once the investigation is complete
Atlanta (CNN) -- A nuclear reactor at Georgia's Vogtle Electric Generating Plant has been taken off line indefinitely until investigators determine the cause of an automatic shutdown this week, the Southern Co. said Friday.

A plan to restart the reactor, which has been in operation since 1987, will be implemented once the investigation has been completed.

The reactor shut down early Wednesday, said the Southern Co., which supplies power to much of the state.

"There were at no time impacts to public health or safety," said Alyson Fuqua, a company spokeswoman.

Southern made "all appropriate notifications" to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, according to a statement.

Plant Vogtle's second reactor continues to operate at full power, Southern said.

The Vogtle Electric Generating Plant is near Waynesboro in eastern Georgia.​

Well, things are not better. :( *big sigh*

I knew yesterday that the Brazilians (here in Brazil), are filming messages of solidarity and support for the Japanese. The video with the messages will be sent to Japan. Good idea! :heart:

I keep praying for Japan :angel: and I hope they continue to have force.

http://www.global2000.at/site/en/whatwedo/nuclear/phasingoutnp/article-phasingoutnuclearpower.htm

TIME TO START PHASING OUT NUCLEAR ACROSS EUROPE

Lessons must be learned from Chernobyl and Fukushima

Brussels, April 26, 2011 – On the 25th anniversary of the Chernobyl nuclear disaster, Friends of the Earth Europe stands in solidarity with the people of Ukraine and neighbouring countries, remembering those affected by the catastrophe. Friends of the Earth Europe also stands with those still affected by the tsunami and ongoing nuclear crisis in Japan – where the severity level of the nuclear crisis has been raised to maximum, on a par with Chernobyl [1].

The Chernobyl catastrophe is still a reality [2], and nuclear power remains more than ever a threat to people and planet – a fact driven home by the unfortunate events in Japan. Friends of the Earth Europe calls on European governments to start phasing out nuclear power across Europe, and calls on national authorities in the Ukraine and Japan to do everything possible to prevent the immeasurable damage to people, the environment and the local ecosystem that further radioactive leaks will cause.

Pavlo Khazan, climate change and energy campaigner for Friends of the Earth Ukraine, says: “People in the Ukraine are still suffering 25 years after the nuclear catastrophe at Chernobyl. The events in Japan highlight that nuclear accidents on a scale of Chernobyl can happen again, and that no matter how prepared, there are risks with nuclear power – with disastrous consequences for people and planet. My generation saw the beginning of the nuclear threat, and I hope we will see its end."

Friends of the Earth Europe calls upon the European Commission to demand a genuine, open process to bring about the end of the nuclear age in Europe [3]. The only safe and secure form of energy is that which harnesses sustainable, renewable resources and first of all the energy we save through increased energy efficiency.

Magda Stoczkiewicz, director of Friends of the Earth Europe says: "Twenty-five years on from Chernobyl and in the light of the ongoing nuclear crisis in Japan, one thing is clear – nuclear power will never be safe. European leaders must act upon this and kick of the phase out of nuclear power in Europe.”

“Europe’s energy future must be based on renewable and energy savings. Europe can secure its energy supplies, reduce its dependency on fossil fuels and cut emissions, without relying upon unsafe and costly nuclear power.”

Resistance against nuclear power, and for the right energy solutions, is growing across Europe. Anti-nuclear demonstrations, and solidarity actions with the people affected by Chernobyl and the nuclear crisis in Japan, take place today across Europe. [4]

http://mdn.mainichi.jp/features/news/20110426p2a00m0na006000c.html

Families want answers after 45 people died following evacuation from Fukushima hospital

OKUMA, Fukushima -- Nearly 45 people out of some 440 patients and workers at a hospital here are estimated to have died while or after being evacuated following the accident at the tsunami-hit Fukushima No. 1 Nuclear Power Plant.

The Fukushima Prefectural Government is investigating why 90 patients were temporarily left behind at Futaba Hospital in Okuma, Fukushima Prefecture, following the disaster.

More at link.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-world/japan-to-boost-renewable-energy-20110511-1ehqo.html

Japan to boost renewable energy
May 11, 2011 - 6:44AM

AP

Japan will scrap a plan to obtain half of its electricity from nuclear power and will instead promote renewable energy as a result of its ongoing nuclear crisis, the prime minister says.

Naoto Kan said Japan needs to "start from scratch" on its long-term energy policy after the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant was heavily damaged by a March 11 earthquake and tsunami and began leaking radiation.

Japan's nuclear plants supplied about 30 per cent of the country's electricity, and the government had planned to raise that to 50 per cent.
Advertisement: Story continues below

Kan told a news conference that nuclear and fossil fuel used to be the pillars of Japanese energy policy but now it will add two more - renewable energy such as solar, wind and biomass, and an increased focus on conservation.

"We will thoroughly ensure safety for nuclear power generation and make efforts to further promote renewable energy," an area where Japan has lagged behind Europe and the US, he said.

Kan also said he would take a pay cut beginning in June until the Fukushima nuclear crisis is resolved to take responsibility as part of the government that has promoted nuclear energy. He didn't specify how much of a pay cut he would take.

© 2011 AP

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-N...e-reactor-to-be-shut-down/UPI-70541304920206/

2nd Japanese reactor to be shut down

TOKYO, May 9 (UPI) -- A Japanese nuclear plant in central Japan will be shut as a precaution, Chubu Electric Power Co. said Monday following a series of board meetings.

The decision came as workers at the Fukushima Daiichi, damaged in the March 11 earthquake and tsunami, prepared to install a new cooling system.

At an emergency board meeting in Nagoya, Chubu accepted Prime Minister Naoto Kan's call to suspend operation of the Hamaoka plant in Shizuoka prefecture, the Kyodo news agency reported.

Chubu began considering the request Saturday.

Industry Minister Banri Kaieda praised the decision and said the government will consider financial aid to offset the utility's losses.

Located in Omaezaki, on the Pacific coast southwest of Tokyo, the Hamaoka complex stands near a major fault line.

More at link.

There has been a problem with a swedish nuclear plant.
It was under repair and it was no radioactive material in it, but they don´t know why it became to hot,maybe there has been a little fire.

Back