Official MTV Video Awards Thread [Janet Jackson, Trailer, Spoliers Here]

Well, I do and I don't understand why there are such strong reactions to Madonna's speech.

First of all, let's make it clear: It had to be Madonna who gave that speech. No one else could have given it because no else comes anywhere close to being Michael's peer. No one else has experienced the same kind of success and fame, and played such a huge part in shaping modern music and the music industry.

Madonna was there because she's Madonna, and as she said herself, it wasn't that they were great friends, because they weren't. It's the fact that she's actually the only person in the world who'd be able to say to Michael "I understand your feelings, I know exactly what you're going through". I'm not saying that many other people wouldn't be able to relate strongly, but Michael and Madonna are/were the most famous people in the world.

So of course Madonna had to draw on her own experiences to make that speech. She knew that she was there because she was Madonna - because people wanted to hear what Madonna had to say because she's as legendary as she is. If Madonna had died, everyone would want to know Michael's thoughts on her.

Then there's the rules of speech writing, and I have to say, the people that criticise Madonna for making it personal know nothing about great memorial speeches. Such a speech simply HAS to be personal! You're not talking about politics or social matters or the opening of a building... you're talking about someone's life; his career, yes, but certainly also his personality and personal life. And in doing that you simply have to refer to yourself in order to personalise your words and justify your right to give the speech and talk about that person that intimately.

However, I also realise that because Madonna is nearly as famous as Michael, she'll always be under public scrutiny for anything she puts her name on. She's a courageous lady, who's always said what no one else dared to say or wanted to hear, but regardless of what she says, someone will always criticise her - even Michael Jackson fans, who, if anyone, should know better.

Had Michael gone up on stage and said "Madonna is dead. The death of her mother affected her entire life, and I can empathise because my lack of a childhood had the same effect on my life", there would have been the same reaction, only all the narrow-minded anti-Madonna cynics who call themselves Michael Jackson fans would have applauded him 'for making it personal' ... "oh he really got what she was going through".

So what I'm trying to say is that people - even some people on this board - are major hypocrites, who certainly don't practice what Michael preached and that's devastating to me. I would hope that Michael's messages would live on through everyone who loved him, but unless we all try to better ourselves - starting with applauding what was an amazing gesture made by Madonna (and anyone who can't see this is lying) - Michael's wisdom will be forgotten. Don't let this happen.

I second this, some fans only see negative in everything that people do, this is as positive as it gets . Try to see some good in things for a change.

I left this thread for a bit while it took a turn for negativity. I was glad to come back and see your post. Wonderful, perfect post. Very well said.
This last paragraph is the best part. AMEN. Hear it out, everyone!

Thank you.

This is just something I feel quite strongly about and I was saddened to see people in this forum not pulling it together for Michael.

His death really affected me significantly and I've never felt such... 'meaning' before. It feels like he's watching my every move, which is a constant reminder to be and do good.

So in a way, it sort of aggravates me when people don't understand how important it is to honour Michael's legacy, and all this pointless criticism of Madonna, which basically boils down to bored dimwits playing the whole you-say-A-then-I-say-B game, just infuriates me.

It's very uneducated.

The criticism of Madonna is uncalled for. I thought she did a great job putting what Michael had to go through in context so she used her own experiences to weave the narrative together. She was basically saying that Michael was not alone and while everyone has their issues, Michael was unfairly attacked. Nobody called Madonna weird or called her ***** or anything but then why Michael. She was just pointing out the unfair judgements people made about him considering he grew up in the spotlight and could not make his own mistakes while she had the liberty to. I think she helped people understand Michael. She was honest and her words were touching. I much rather have someone of Madonna's caliber to speak.

Janet did great but I am sad that there was no montage. Seriously the whole thing was like 10 minutes or something. They should have shown a megamix of all his videos and showcased his dancing and humanitarian work. Though MTV was better than BET it still nuked the fridge with the tribute.

wow!? how can anyone say janet sucked?!? i think she did a great job, she did those dance moves exactly like michael did them. mj and janet have been dancing together for years and no one could have done it better then janet.

When the President of the U.S.A. is calling you a jackass then...you know you're a jackass LoL

Real quick, my thoughts on the VMA's:

Madonna - great speech, way better than i expected from her. Must say it really touched me.

MJ tribute/Janet - Great job! Other than the one guy who couldn't do the lean LoL But everything else was on point. And Janet did her thing! I got goosebumps when she went into the breakdown dance during 'Scream'. I knew she'd come through for her big bro. MJ would be proud for sure.

Russell Brand - I like his MJ tat but that's about it...didn't make me laugh at all...maybe a chuckle or two.

Kanye West - Jackass

Lady GaGa - You're trying waaayy too hard to be 'unique'...take it down a few notches huh? lol

MTV - You guys are real bastards for making us wait until the end of the show to see the 'This Is It' trailer. But then again MJ does equal ratings soooo....

lol i thought i was gonna cry when janet did her mj tribute bt when 'scream' started i was still laughing at the guy who bent over instead of doing the smooth criminal lean lol

I cried watching Madonna. I thought I had those tears dried up now.
But it all just became too much for me.

My fav quote was: 'I abandoned him. WE abandoned him'
It probably spoke to many people....not the fans or the haters but the ones who are middle of the road with MJ and all his tribulations.

I know it convinced my son, to say 'sorry mum'

Janet was so awesome.....I liked her face in the end......
I liked jermaine as well last night even Papa joe.

It was one of the more heartfelt tributes to date. imo

When the President of the U.S.A. is calling you a jackass then...you know you're a jackass LoL

Real quick, my thoughts on the VMA's:

Madonna - great speech, way better than i expected from her. Must say it really touched me.

MJ tribute/Janet - Great job! Other than the one guy who couldn't do the lean LoL But everything else was on point. And Janet did her thing! I got goosebumps when she went into the breakdown dance during 'Scream'. I knew she'd come through for her big bro. MJ would be proud for sure.

Russell Brand - I like his MJ tat but that's about it...didn't make me laugh at all...maybe a chuckle or two.

Kanye West - Jackass

Lady GaGa - You're trying waaayy too hard to be 'unique'...take it down a few notches huh? lol

MTV - You guys are real bastards for making us wait until the end of the show to see the 'This Is It' trailer. But then again MJ does equal ratings soooo....

AGREED x 7!! :lol:

she said herself she turned her back on him.

iv seen interviews of hers though, over the years, and at the time of the trial where she speaks about MJ and defends him..

madonna was one of those who turned her back. so hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

she said herself she turned her back on him.

iv seen interviews of hers though, over the years, and at the time of the trial where she speaks about MJ and defends him..

Yeah. Madonna was cheeky back in the early 90s. She said she'd only record In the Closet with Michael if they could incorporate the provocative title of the song into the lyrics more (and reportedly she also wanted them to dress up as each other for the video). But that was just Madonna being a brat, and that's one of her finest qualities - that's her childlike feature, by the way. But she's always stuck up for Michael, always.

She defended him in an interview after the Bashir documentary, saying that Bashir took advantage of Michael and she thought it was inhuman what he did (not the exact quote), and last year she said that 'there's nothing better' than old school Michael Jackson music. In the 80s she even performed her own version of Bille Jean. It's on YouTube.

So what's there to say about Madonna, the proclaimed ego-maniac and vanity freak who people say suffers from megalomania and a constant need to be in control? Well, she never had a problem praising Michael Jackson and acknowledging his genius, that's for sure - and he's her biggest competition. Madonna is a good person.

(On a side note, she's always had a well-publicised (and probably healthy) rivalry with Janet Jackson - they were in a bit of a bitchy ping-pong in the 90s with Janet calling Madonna unclassy and Madonna accusing Janet of copying her, or something like that - so it was refreshing and very beautiful to see the two of them united in a commitment to praise a colleague, an idol, a friend, and a brother at the VMAs.)

God bless Madonna for making Michael human who got screwed out of love from so many people and for Janet doing a heartfelt tribute and leaving afterward letting MTV know with her absence I was only here for my brother, screw yall!

Yeah. Madonna was cheeky back in the early 90s. She said she'd only record In the Closet with Michael if they could incorporate the provocative title of the song into the lyrics more (and reportedly she also wanted them to dress up as each other for the video). But that was just Madonna being a brat, and that's one of her finest qualities - that's her childlike feature, by the way. But she's always stuck up for Michael, always.

She defended him in an interview after the Bashir documentary, saying that Bashir took advantage of Michael and she thought it was inhuman what he did (not the exact quote), and last year she said that 'there's nothing better' than old school Michael Jackson music. In the 80s she even performed her own version of Bille Jean. It's on YouTube.

So what's there to say about Madonna, the proclaimed ego-maniac and vanity freak who people say suffers from megalomania and a constant need to be in control? Well, she never had a problem praising Michael Jackson and acknowledging his genius, that's for sure - and he's her biggest competition. Madonna is a good person.

(On a side note, she's always had a well-publicised (and probably healthy) rivalry with Janet Jackson - they were in a bit of a bitchy ping-pong in the 90s with Janet calling Madonna unclassy and Madonna accusing Janet of copying her, or something like that - so it was refreshing and very beautiful to see the two of them united in a commitment to praise a colleague, an idol, a friend, and a brother at the VMAs.)

Oh wonderfull could not of said it any better (if I knew how to post those clapping cartoon thinngey things you guys post,i would of. i need someone to show me howto do that).

Madonna is a good person and have really matured over the years.

).

I watched a replay of the VMAs last night. Well, just the MJ tribute. ;)

When it came time to do the SC lean, MTV replaced that shot with a different angle, one from the back so that the guy who couldn't do it wasn't front and center! LOL!

They also replaced a shot during Janet's dance duet with Michael. It was the part where she falls on her knees and jumps back up. I guess she didn't get the force to do the spin as Michael was doing on screen. So MTV replaced that shot with a long shot view from behind Janet.

IDK about you guys, but I think it's kinda stupid that they replaced that. Well, the SC guy failing to lean was sort of funny, esp when the guy in back of him was doing the lean so well!

mtv is full of sh*t! why did they change janets shot angle? its as if they saying she failed to do it right.

Ok, here i go: Kanye West was absolutely stupid on interrupting that sweet girl Taylor Swift (of only 19 years old and just starting), and whats even more pathetic is that his fury was cause HE and his retarded mind thought that beyonce's single ladies video was one of the "best videos of all time":bugeyed:hysterical: yes, he said of all time!!! i though Smooth Criminal from Michael Jackson or say another video you like most was into that category.

Taylor's video is like a mini movie, is really a good, tasteful and entertaining, it also has a story, Beyonce's (not to say is not a likeble song and video, for ladies specially) but one of the best videos of all time???:bugeyed
Taylor's on the other hand is a nice polite girl who did a descent beautiful, entertaining video with a beginning a middle and an ending (like Michael would have liked, mini movie like) and im sure Michael saw that video (when he was alive) and thought, if my Paris wants to be an artist i would like her to be as sweet and sophisticated as this girl(Taylor Swift)

i dont want to say that that guy named kanye west stole Michael's tribute from Madonna and Janet, but he DID, and for Beyonces video???:mello: wth???:bugeyed i thought this kind of interrruption should be for IMPORTANT CASES.

One thing is for sure I WILL NOT WATCH THE NEXT YEAR VMAS, now it will all be based on these ridiculous scandals, not in the art of videos (which is really lacking ), God not for nothing the Oscars are so relevant, so the Grammy's awards

A last reflection the vmas were super boring adn tasteless and all because of kanye's interrruption:doh:, thast sad, isnt it???

Last edited:
God bless Madonna for making Michael human who got screwed out of love from so many people and for Janet doing a heartfelt tribute and leaving afterward letting MTV know with her absence I was only here for my brother, screw yall!
I agree, great stars have great humble hearts, just like Michael

i loved the tribute, but it wasnt anywhere near of what i thought it would be. i really hoped that janet would perform her song 'together again' since the lyrics is sooo fitting, it is like it was written to michael! but maybe its to emotion for janet to perform, you could see that it was hard for her to do this tribute. but all my respect to her, scream was great, and it was beautiful to see them dance together once again. that really broke my heart, seing them on stage together :(

the dancers did great to, i loved the first dance part there. and madonna held a beautful speech. i loved the bit when michael held her hand, that was so sweet.

i loved the tribute, but it wasnt anywhere near of what i thought it would be. i really hoped that janet would perform her song 'together again' since the lyrics is sooo fitting, it is like it was written to michael! but maybe its to emotion for janet to perform, you could see that it was hard for her to do this tribute. but all my respect to her, scream was great, and it was beautiful to see them dance together once again. that really broke my heart, seing them on stage together :(

the dancers did great to, i loved the first dance part there. and madonna held a beautful speech. i loved the bit when michael held her hand, that was so sweet.

I did not read through this entire thread but did anyone discuss why the dancers were wearing the black mask in Janet's tribute? I did not know what to make of it, even though i know Michael wore them often, but why wear it at the tribute. Wonder what statement they were trying to make?

I did not read through this entire thread but did anyone discuss why the dancers were wearing the black mask in Janet's tribute? I did not know what to make of it, even though i know Michael wore them often, but why wear it at the tribute. Wonder what statement they were trying to make?

Personally I think it was Janet's way of acknowledging the mask as one of Michael's trademarks. It seems the public never really loved the mask as much as they glove... maybe because the mask had eerie connotations to some people, I don't know. I know that a lot of fans associate the mask with Michael being ill, but as Dr. Klein said on Larry King, the mask was just another symbol - which could conveniently be used for days when Michael wasn't wearing full make-up, I guess.

Anyway, Michael obviously loved the mask and I think Janet just wanted to use another one of his trademarks since the mask is always so heavily featured. That's the obvious explanation, anyway. But of course the mask is a metaphor for the way Michael was feeling when he 'invented' it in the early 90s. He'd become the most famous and most hunted person on Earth and the mask was obviously a cry for privacy.

As the years went by, it became Michael's strongest symbol of his plea to people to leave him alone, to stop looking at him, stop pointing their fingers at him. And Janet's probably thought about this and decided to use the mask in her performance to convey a twist on that message: That all the people in that hall, all the people watching and particularly everyone who turned their backs on Michael played a part in his death. The mask symbolised everything he wanted and never got.

This is just my interpretation anyway... which is fueled by Janet's obvious anger and hurt which shone through her entire performance. She wasn't paying tribute to Michael as much as she was defending him that night, and I think right now that's what needs to be said. She did well.

Personally I think it was Janet's way of acknowledging the mask as one of Michael's trademarks. It seems the public never really loved the mask as much as they glove... maybe because the mask had eerie connotations to some people, I don't know. I know that a lot of fans associate the mask with Michael being ill, but as Dr. Klein said on Larry King, the mask was just another symbol - which could conveniently be used for days when Michael wasn't wearing full make-up, I guess.

Anyway, Michael obviously loved the mask and I think Janet just wanted to use another one of his trademarks since the mask is always so heavily featured. That's the obvious explanation, anyway. But of course the mask is a metaphor for the way Michael was feeling when he 'invented' it in the early 90s. He'd become the most famous and most hunted person on Earth and the mask was obviously a cry for privacy.

As the years went by, it became Michael's strongest symbol of his plea to people to leave him alone, to stop looking at him, stop pointing their fingers at him. And Janet's probably thought about this and decided to use the mask in her performance to convey a twist on that message: That all the people in that hall, all the people watching and particularly everyone who turned their backs on Michael played a part in his death. The mask symbolised everything he wanted and never got.

This is just my interpretation anyway... which is fueled by Janet's obvious anger and hurt which shone through her entire performance. She wasn't paying tribute to Michael as much as she was defending him that night, and I think right now that's what needs to be said. She did well.

that was my interpretation of it. They incorporated all of Michael's trademark looks from the red beat it jacket, sparkly band jackets, dangerous outfit, black pants and white shirt with loafers outfit. Fedora, white glove.
When they did scream they were showing Michael's latest looks.
All the jackets worn by the dancers look like the jackets MJ was wearing lately or would have worn,
So to me I the mask was an extention of that. Also the dancers had tape on their fingers... I don't know if anyone caught that.

As far as Janet performing scream rather than together again.
Scream is perfect for now. .How many threads do we have of somebody coming out the woodwork on AH or ET saying something or another about MJ,
People playing who the daddy with the children
People trying to label MJ as a drug addict
This shit makes me wanna scream, I can't imagine how it is for family.

Last edited:
What makes this tribute very special is that you can feel Michael’s presence, the way they did it with huge background screen, dancers following his moves, Janet’s duet with Michael, etc… I watch it every day and I don’t think I’ll have enough of it, I just wish if it was longer.

Last edited:
I just finished watching the Behind the Scenes Making of Janet's MTV VMA Tribute to Michael and it was good!

I live on that Pacific coast and I just happened to catch it here at 930am. I guess all of the times on the MTV schedule is in EST.

Anyways, I caught it about 10 min in but it was a fantastic behind the scenes. I teared a bit listening to Janet because she said that she got emotional many times during rehearsals, saying that she loved her brother and missed him, saying that she still can't believe that he is gone.

All the choreographers were great too saying how Michael has influenced them. Saying that his dance style is hard, even for these professional dancers/choregraphers.

Christian Louboutin made all the shoes for the dancers and Janet for the Scream section. They were sparkly and had some major bling! The dancers said that the shoes fit like a glove on them.

I don't know if Christian gave them for free of Janet bought them, but she gave the costumes and the shoes to the dancers as a gift.

Also, all of the costumes the dancers in the Scream section were some form of an MJ costume. The sketches were really fascinating to see. Somebody was wearing the dangerous leotard!

It was fun listening to Cris Judd talk about his memories with Michael on the Dangerous and History tours. I thought he was just part of the History tour.

Anyways, you can still catch it two more times this wknd-->

Sat night 1230am EST; 930pm PST
Sunday 5pm EST; 3pm PST

Can someone kindly record it for us and upload? Please? Thank you!

I just finished watching the Behind the Scenes Making of Janet's MTV VMA Tribute to Michael and it was good!

I live on that Pacific coast and I just happened to catch it here at 930am. I guess all of the times on the MTV schedule is in EST.

Anyways, I caught it about 10 min in but it was a fantastic behind the scenes. I teared a bit listening to Janet because she said that she got emotional many times during rehearsals, saying that she loved her brother and missed him, saying that she still can't believe that he is gone.

All the choreographers were great too saying how Michael has influenced them. Saying that his dance style is hard, even for these professional dancers/choregraphers.

Christian Louboutin made all the shoes for the dancers and Janet for the Scream section. They were sparkly and had some major bling! The dancers said that the shoes fit like a glove on them.

I don't know if Christian gave them for free of Janet bought them, but she gave the costumes and the shoes to the dancers as a gift.

Also, all of the costumes the dancers in the Scream section were some form of an MJ costume. The sketches were really fascinating to see. Somebody was wearing the dangerous leotard!

It was fun listening to Cris Judd talk about his memories with Michael on the Dangerous and History tours. I thought he was just part of the History tour.

Anyways, you can still catch it two more times this wknd-->

Sat night 1230am EST; 930pm PST
Sunday 5pm EST; 3pm PST

Can someone kindly record it for us and upload? Please? Thank you!

thank you! wow

I HOPE someone could record it and upload it in HQ here.
We need this video!!

Back