Official MTV Video Awards Thread [Janet Jackson, Trailer, Spoliers Here]

I can't believe people are trashing Janet and Madonna.

Janet's big brother just died if you hadn't realised. Her BROTHER. Not a singer/entertainer she was a fan of. Her BROTHER. To trash her performance the way I've just seen is SICK. I'm surprised she could get up on that stage [however strong she is], nevermind get up in front of an audience and sing along and dance along to her brother who just died.

Madonna [who I'm not a fan of..and generally I don't like her actions and the scandal she likes to create] did NOT have to do that speech, she did not have to stand up there and support and talk from the heart, about someone that some people still believe is a child molester and a freak [sorry to use harsh words - but this is what I'm faced with about MJ from haters regularly]. It was not 'about her' it was about HIM. She told the room ''I abandoned him, WE abandoned him...whilst he was trying to raise a family and work on his career we passed judgement, we turned our backs on him'' That was quite bold to tell those fellow entertainers - we [you] abandoned him. Things like this help in altering the publics negative perceptions of him. It makes people think.

If she hadn't made a statement you'd have criticised her. She makes a speech like that, paying tribute to him, speaking the truth about him, making people realise what they did to him and you STILL criticise her.. some of you baffle me!!

I so agree with your post..

Her speech was wow

and janets performance was great...

I can't believe people are trashing Janet and Madonna.

Janet's big brother just died if you hadn't realised. Her BROTHER. Not a singer/entertainer she was a fan of. Her BROTHER. To trash her performance the way I've just seen is SICK. I'm surprised she could get up on that stage [however strong she is], nevermind get up in front of an audience and sing along and dance along to her brother who just died.

Madonna [who I'm not a fan of..and generally I don't like her actions and the scandal she likes to create] did NOT have to do that speech, she did not have to stand up there and support and talk from the heart, about someone that some people still believe is a child molester and a freak [sorry to use harsh words - but this is what I'm faced with about MJ from haters regularly]. It was not 'about her' it was about HIM. She told the room ''I abandoned him, WE abandoned him...whilst he was trying to raise a family and work on his career we passed judgement, we turned our backs on him'' That was quite bold to tell those fellow entertainers - we [you] abandoned him. Things like this help in altering the publics negative perceptions of him. It makes people think.

If she hadn't made a statement you'd have criticised her. She makes a speech like that, paying tribute to him, speaking the truth about him, making people realise what they did to him and you STILL criticise her.. some of you baffle me!!

Your post is very powerful and so right! :clapping::clapping:

could sum1 plz post me the link to download all of this in HQ?? im struggling and still havnt watched it all yet lol.

Good for him.. lol, glad to know our prez is up to date on all things even vma's...lol

hell call a spade a spade.. the president is human... we all called him a jackass for doing it, why can't the prez?? :D
that comment wasn't suppose to be printed, but yet someone stepped outside the lines and did it..

like someone said earlier, he was waiting on the trailer and saw what kanye did.lol:D
yeah yeah totally is just that he was so fast on this matter, i thought a president should be more quick of takin care of the nation his runnig:)

could sum1 plz post me the link to download all of this in HQ?? im struggling and still havnt watched it all yet lol.
here is the tribute performance in hq.. (Janet comes in at the end) and here is the speech of Madonna.

I watched the video of the performances several times now and keep getting goosebumps when I see Janet performing 'Scream' before the big screen with her brother on it.. Waw! Respect, Janet!!

I'm glad that the post here were all positive on the tribute and not negative as I saw in other places.

I was in tears when Madonna spoke about Michael like she did, she rocked. Janet did a fantastic performance, and the "this is it" tribute, short that it was, was like having Michael back for just a little while and it was comforting...it blew me away, gave me goose bumps... I know the movie will be hard to watch ...but I'm looking forward to it.:dancin:

Damn, even Donald Trump wants to boycott all things Kanye, and he should. Showbiz tonight was talking about how Kanye stole a show that should have been about Michael Jackson. I officially hate him.

I thought the tribute was absolutely perfect. Madonna's speech was so true about how many turned their backs on Michael. Then Janet came on and the look in her eye made me feel like she was saying "See what you did". I was trying my hardest not to cry but her look broke me. The dancers were great too. I have always been amazed with how perfectly in sync Michael's dancers were. The two minor slip ups that happened (Janet losing her balance and the no lean guy), I'm sure Michael would have laughed. The trailer was also amazing as well. I am really hoping to get tickets.

Well long live the QUEEN!! I loved it!!! Gave me chills!! I love how Madonna made those comparisons how he dint have a childhood n she dint have a mother and so forth. Who better than to humanize Michael than Madonna? Shes his female counterpart. At least they both met and got to know each other at all.

As a madonna fan this means a lot to me. I adore, love, and will cherish what they did.

Though the dancers coulda varied their Michael out fits more than that, lol

And though this is going to be a long long LONG way off, but I can see them doing this same thing for Madonna. Haha.

It is a big deal when someone like Madonna talks THIS WAY about Michael, and she called Michael “KING” more than once, she didn’t say King Of Pop, she said KING, she is right because he is the KING of music. And it is a big deal because she is also a “Legend” and one of the most powerful women on earth!! What she says matters a lot. Remember, Elizabeth Taylor is the first to call Michael King Of Pop, then the whole world started chanting King Of Pop, now Madonna called him KING and that’s more than enough to spit on haters. The way she talked about Michael is very honorable and a powerful slap on tabloids face. And for the record, Michael earned his title as KING long time ago!

Thanks to Michael :)

I'm sick of people still talking about Kanye, Beyonce and Taylor whatever (never heard of her before). They should be talking about Janet and Michael! But nooooo stupid things are more interesting.

This is the exact point!!!

The jackass Kanye did it purposely because he did know that MTV would be about MJs tribute and he was aware that the tribute would outshine all of the stars!

Ive got a feeling that he did it because of the ANTI-MJ agenda directed by some group of (i dont like the word, but...) conspirators..., and the result of this is that America is full of Kanye and not MJ MTV Tribute!!!

IMO it was not an accident, look, Taylor and Michael have the best sellers of the year... hmmm, what an agenda?

Taylor was/is just a background...

The jackass Kanye did it purposely because he did know that MTV would be about MJs tribute and he was aware that the tribute would outshine all of the stars![/SIZE]

Since the VMAs I am following the news, TV, printed media, Internet, radio and it is obvious that Michael SAVED the show and every media is very positive about it, on the other hand what Kanye did backfired on him (big time), I am sure now he is regretting what he did even if it was supposedly intentional, his image was trashed, he is very stupid! Even if he got paid for it, it wasn’t worth risking his career! Stupid!

This is the exact point!!!

The jackass Kanye did it purposely because he did know that MTV would be about MJs tribute and he was aware that the tribute would outshine all of the stars!

Ive got a feeling that he did it because of the ANTI-MJ agenda directed by some group of (i dont like the word, but...) conspirators..., and the result of this is that America is full of Kanye and not MJ MTV Tribute!!!

IMO it was not an accident, look, Taylor and Michael have the best sellers of the year... hmmm, what an agenda?

Taylor was/is just a background...

Moonwalker.Fan,

Kanye claims to be a Michael Jackson fan. I think he even went as far to compare himself to Mike and Justin Timberlake to Prince. :smilerolleyes: But you two are right; everybody is talking about what he did and less about the MJ Tribute.

He must realize that now. That he basically highjacked the show. Why he did it? I don't know if he did it b/c of an anti-MJ agenda but he's done it before. That Henny he was drinking on the red carpet must have gave him courage to act even stupider :lol:.

Well Moonwalker Fan..I'm inclined to disagree, I dont think Mr. West did it to outshine or take the spotlight away from anyone, except for Taylor Swift, he had been drinking, he's apologized more than once, and it wasnt that serious to begin with. And everyone, including us as Michael Jackson fans, is giving Kanye West the attention he's wanted after that stunt by still talking about it.

IMHO...Everyone needs to let it go.

Well Moonwalker Fan..I'm inclined to disagree, I dont think Mr. West did it to outshine or take the spotlight away from anyone, except for Taylor Swift, he had been drinking, he's apologized more than once, and it wasnt that serious to begin with. And everyone, including us as Michael Jackson fans, is giving Kanye West the attention he's wanted after that stunt by still talking about it.

IMHO...Everyone needs to let it go.

I would like to agree with you but I can't. I think Kanye needs to be stopped. This time he went too far. I don't care how many times he apologizes, it's time to suffer some real consequences. He has gone through life thinking he can say and do whatever he wants because he is some god like talent, but let's face it- he's just as cookie cutter as the rest. His lack of respect for all things not Kanye is deplorable and it's time for real punishment.

For Christ sake, can we stop talking about Kanye? He's so boring.

Those who feel Madonna's speech was "about herself" have missed the point entirely. It reaffirms my belief that we live in an age where people prefer soundbites to listening to and comprehending the whole story. When her speech first started I too wondered why she was comparing her life to that of Michael's. But I also wanted to know where she was going with her words. When she said Michael lost his childhood but she lost her mother, I wondered WHAT? Is this supposed to be a tribute?

But the speech turned when she stated that Michael got the short end of the stick. (I personally lost it then. Finally someone got it.) If people had continued to listen and not gotten hung up on her mentioning the similarities she and Michael shared, they would have realized that the point she was trying to make would not have been as powerful had she not made the comparisions that she did. In my opinion the reason for the comparisons was to show that there are a lot of people in the world who suffer hardships and loss, but there are very few who really and truely lose out on the pure freedom of being a child; of being permitted to make mistakes and learn from them.

Losing a childhood isn't simply about not being able to go to amusement parks or have fun. When one doesn't have a childhood they miss out on the opportunity to learn the basic fundamentals of interacting with the world as "normal" people do....and end up being looked upon as 'weird' and, in Michael's case, crucified for it. When in all reality they are simply different. And how could they not be?

How many times was Michael critized because the world listened to sound bites and ignored the whole story? Let us all try all little harder to understand the whole story when people speak and not only hear their sound bite.

GrEat pOSt!!!!! :)

What is this Kanye smoking? Is he using some drugs? I am completely losing the respect on him... If I even had any...

:eek:fftopic:

I hope Michael will be honored in the next Grammy Awards, I donno what happened last year there was supposed to be a tribute: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7tEOz7zk5A

And I hope ‘This Is It’ to win an award such as an Oscar, Emmy, or a reputable movie award…

vvv I declared this post LOL! vvv
:threaten:

Last edited:
Lets get back to janet's tribute and Madonna's wonderful speech.

Right!

I did not know Madonna was going to be speaking about Michael much less appearing at the VMA's. There was some speculation over on the Madonna forum that she might perfom promoting her latest single "Celebration", but I much prefer this instead.

I loved how she said,"Then the witch hunt began."

Well, I do and I don't understand why there are such strong reactions to Madonna's speech.

First of all, let's make it clear: It had to be Madonna who gave that speech. No one else could have given it because no else comes anywhere close to being Michael's peer. No one else has experienced the same kind of success and fame, and played such a huge part in shaping modern music and the music industry.

Madonna was there because she's Madonna, and as she said herself, it wasn't that they were great friends, because they weren't. It's the fact that she's actually the only person in the world who'd be able to say to Michael "I understand your feelings, I know exactly what you're going through". I'm not saying that many other people wouldn't be able to relate strongly, but Michael and Madonna are/were the most famous people in the world.

So of course Madonna had to draw on her own experiences to make that speech. She knew that she was there because she was Madonna - because people wanted to hear what Madonna had to say because she's as legendary as she is. If Madonna had died, everyone would want to know Michael's thoughts on her.

Then there's the rules of speech writing, and I have to say, the people that criticise Madonna for making it personal know nothing about great memorial speeches. Such a speech simply HAS to be personal! You're not talking about politics or social matters or the opening of a building... you're talking about someone's life; his career, yes, but certainly also his personality and personal life. And in doing that you simply have to refer to yourself in order to personalise your words and justify your right to give the speech and talk about that person that intimately.

However, I also realise that because Madonna is nearly as famous as Michael, she'll always be under public scrutiny for anything she puts her name on. She's a courageous lady, who's always said what no one else dared to say or wanted to hear, but regardless of what she says, someone will always criticise her - even Michael Jackson fans, who, if anyone, should know better.

Had Michael gone up on stage and said "Madonna is dead. The death of her mother affected her entire life, and I can empathise because my lack of a childhood had the same effect on my life", there would have been the same reaction, only all the narrow-minded anti-Madonna cynics who call themselves Michael Jackson fans would have applauded him 'for making it personal' ... "oh he really got what she was going through".

So what I'm trying to say is that people - even some people on this board - are major hypocrites, who certainly don't practice what Michael preached and that's devastating to me. I would hope that Michael's messages would live on through everyone who loved him, but unless we all try to better ourselves - starting with applauding what was an amazing gesture made by Madonna (and anyone who can't see this is lying) - Michael's wisdom will be forgotten. Don't let this happen.

So what I'm trying to say is that people - even some people on this board - are major hypocrites, who certainly don't practice what Michael preached and that's devastating to me. I would hope that Michael's messages would live on through everyone who loved him, but unless we all try to better ourselves - starting with applauding what was an amazing gesture made by Madonna (and anyone who can't see this is lying) - Michael's wisdom will be forgotten. Don't let this happen.

I left this thread for a bit while it took a turn for negativity. I was glad to come back and see your post. Wonderful, perfect post. Very well said.
This last paragraph is the best part. AMEN. Hear it out, everyone!

Well, I do and I don't understand why there are such strong reactions to Madonna's speech.

First of all, let's make it clear: It had to be Madonna who gave that speech. No one else could have given it because no else comes anywhere close to being Michael's peer. No one else has experienced the same kind of success and fame, and played such a huge part in shaping modern music and the music industry.

Madonna was there because she's Madonna, and as she said herself, it wasn't that they were great friends, because they weren't. It's the fact that she's actually the only person in the world who'd be able to say to Michael "I understand your feelings, I know exactly what you're going through". I'm not saying that many other people wouldn't be able to relate strongly, but Michael and Madonna are/were the most famous people in the world.

So of course Madonna had to draw on her own experiences to make that speech. She knew that she was there because she was Madonna - because people wanted to hear what Madonna had to say because she's as legendary as she is. If Madonna had died, everyone would want to know Michael's thoughts on her.

Then there's the rules of speech writing, and I have to say, the people that criticise Madonna for making it personal know nothing about great memorial speeches. Such a speech simply HAS to be personal! You're not talking about politics or social matters or the opening of a building... you're talking about someone's life; his career, yes, but certainly also his personality and personal life. And in doing that you simply have to refer to yourself in order to personalise your words and justify your right to give the speech and talk about that person that intimately.

However, I also realise that because Madonna is nearly as famous as Michael, she'll always be under public scrutiny for anything she puts her name on. She's a courageous lady, who's always said what no one else dared to say or wanted to hear, but regardless of what she says, someone will always criticise her - even Michael Jackson fans, who, if anyone, should know better.

Had Michael gone up on stage and said "Madonna is dead. The death of her mother affected her entire life, and I can empathise because my lack of a childhood had the same effect on my life", there would have been the same reaction, only all the narrow-minded anti-Madonna cynics who call themselves Michael Jackson fans would have applauded him 'for making it personal' ... "oh he really got what she was going through".

Very well thought out post. Bravo!:clapping:

Back