Pennsylvania passes resolution to pay tribute to Michael Jackson

4u_n_4me

Proud Member
They're bad, they're bad, we know it

By Eric Heyl
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, March 13, 2011

Talk about an off-the-wall response.

The state House wasted no time Tuesday reacting to Gov. Tom Corbett's proposed budget, perhaps the most controversial spending plan in Pennsylvania history.

While holding the line on taxes, Corbett suggested making significant cuts in basic and higher education funding, eliminating 1,500 state jobs and having public school employees take a voluntary wage freeze.

The citizenry was up in arms, all aflutter, in a highly excited state. Attention immediately turned to the reception the volatile recommendations would receive from legislators who will vote on the budget.

Thankfully, the citizenry didn't have long to wait. Later that day, House lawmakers authoritatively responded to Corbett's proposals.

They did so by approving a resolution paying tribute to Michael Jackson.

That's right, Michael Jackson.

The resolution was introduced by Rep. Louise Bishop, D-Philadelphia. A surprising local co-sponsor was House Minority Leader Frank Dermody, D-Oakmont, whom many political insiders long believed was partial to Prince.

The resolution to "celebrate the contributions of Michael Jackson to music, performance, culture and charity" wasn't adopted unanimously. It was approved in a 108-89 vote that divided family members.

Rep. Paul Costa, D-Wilkins, voted to approve the measure; his cousin, Rep. Dom Costa, D-Stanton Heights, did not.

Paul Costa's favorable vote makes sense, since he was cited for disorderly conduct last year after being caught smoking suspected marijuana. He probably was angling to get future support for any resolution he might eventually introduce honoring the jam band Phish.

All too often, lawmakers are criticized for doing little to warrant their $79,263 annual base salaries, lavish pensions and boffo health care plans for which they pay next to nothing.

Before doing so again, let's ponder whether such criticism is warranted in this instance. After all, by lauding Jackson, lawmakers sent a message to Corbett on behalf of all Pennsylvanians that is virtually impossible for the governor to misinterpret.

They told him, "We're going to recognize a singer from Indiana who lacks the readily apparent connection to Pennsylvania enjoyed by some of his '80s contemporaries, such as Philadelphia natives Hall & Oates."

That's not all.

They told him, "We're going to laud a guy who spent the latter portion of his career dodging pedophelia accusations, wearing surgical masks and placing increasingly frantic calls to his plastic surgeon."

Then they added the perfect finishing touch.

"What? He died nearly two years ago? Well, we're going to honor him anyway. See if we don't."

Is it fair to criticize lawmakers for once again doing little to earn their salaries and perks? Yes, indeed. They should be made to moonwalk out of Harrisburg in shame for wasting time and our tax dollars on this ridiculous resolution.

To put it in the parlance of the late King of Pop, they're bad. Bad. Really, really bad.

Read more: They're bad, they're bad, we know it - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/columns/heyl/s_727172.html#ixzz1GbtHMe88

Last edited:
Re: This article confused me

Sounds like the legislators came to an impasse - they wouldn't vote on the measure at hand...instead they paid tribute to MJ! Way to go Pennsylvania!!

I think it's safe to say that the author is mad. Really, really mad. =D

To me, this article seems to mix respect for MJ with disrespect for MJ. So I find it confusing also.

Excuse me, but all I'm basically seeing here is disrespect.....were these words really said?

They told him, "We're going to recognize a singer from Indiana who lacks the readily apparent connection to Pennsylvania enjoyed by some of his '80s contemporaries, such as Philadelphia natives Hall & Oates."

That's not all.

They told him, "We're going to laud a guy who spent the latter portion of his career dodging pedophelia accusations, wearing surgical masks and placing increasingly frantic calls to his plastic surgeon."

Then they added the perfect finishing touch.

"What? He died nearly two years ago? Well, we're going to honor him anyway. See if we don't."

Is it fair to criticize lawmakers for once again doing little to earn their salaries and perks? Yes, indeed. They should be made to moonwalk out of Harrisburg in shame for wasting time and our tax dollars on this ridiculous resolution.

yeah this sounds like they are totally disrespecting Michael....this isnt a good thing...blah.

I kinda hope it not true especially in Pennsylvania where it having a REALLY hard times out there.. The LAST thing that should be on their minds is a tribute to Michael I'm sorry and in Pennsylvania of all places...

If they're using tax dollars for this tribute, I can understand why people would be upset, however that doesn't excuse some of the remarks from that article.

Michael Jackson was not the focus of the article, the incompetence of the Pennsylvania legislature was the topic. You missed the point completely, but thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Well, yes and no. That guy doesn't understand his own articles. :doh:

And I wrote him back and pointed that out.

I hope I didn't give you ideas. ;) Since he doesn't know what he is saying and it at least in part isn't true either, the article qualifies as "confabulation". :lol:

The "Read my columns at" link in his email signature is funny. Something for people who like to read fairy tales.

Well, I sent him an email, too. He could have made his point without that bit about dodging pedophilia etc, face masks and plastic surgeons. That was the part that got to me. Michael is such an easy target for journalists.

That's right, Michael Jackson.

The resolution was introduced by Rep. Louise Bishop, D-Philadelphia. A surprising local co-sponsor was House Minority Leader Frank Dermody, D-Oakmont, whom many political insiders long believed was partial to Prince.

The resolution to "celebrate the contributions of Michael Jackson to music, performance, culture and charity"
:clapping:WELL DONE, CITIZENS OF PENNSYLVANIA!!!!:clapping:

Well if it's not about MJ, why bring his name up then?

That guy might be smarter than we think. If someone complains about him offending the Pennsylvania legislature, he can just say this:

"The Pennsylvania legislature was not the focus of the article, Michael Jackson was the topic. You missed the point completely, but thanks for sharing your thoughts."

And this is what I got back:

The column wasn’t about Michael Jackson, it was about the ineptitude of the Pennsylvania Legislature, which has far more important tasks to complete than passing the ridiculous Jackson resolution. But I do thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Regards,

Eric Heyl
Columnist
Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

412-320-7857

eheyl@tribweb.com

Read my columns at

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/columns/heyl/

So I sent him another email and got this:

Blame the legislators. They’re the one that approved the ridiculous resolution.

EH

Well, I sent him an email, too. He could have made his point without that bit about dodging pedophilia etc, face masks and plastic surgeons. That was the part that got to me. Michael is such an easy target for journalists.

Exactly and I e-mailed him as well. I totally understand the point of his article--it seems like many legislative bodies in the U.S. are on the wrong path when it comes to serving their constituents. However, using Michael as his route for satire IMO is uncalled for. He could have used plenty of other paths to get his point across to the fine people of Pennsylvania! Even his reply e-mail doesn't even begin to address how he deliberately maligned a beloved artist who is no longer with us. Where was the apology? Did he even think about how his comments would appear to Michael's family, if they saw the article? This guy just seems too arrogant to actually give a damn. Shame on him.

And this is what I got back:

The column wasn’t about Michael Jackson, it was about the ineptitude of the Pennsylvania Legislature, which has far more important tasks to complete than passing the ridiculous Jackson resolution. But I do thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Regards,

Eric Heyl
Columnist
Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

412-320-7857

eheyl@tribweb.com

Read my columns at

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/columns/heyl/

So I sent him another email and got this:

Blame the legislators. They’re the one that approved the ridiculous resolution.

EH

The resolution to "celebrate the contributions of Michael Jackson to music, performance, culture and charity"

so guys is this really happening?

Its very clear that the author has a problem with the Michael jackson resolution itself passing period!

Its not about no damn legislator!

Back