Prince Appreciation Thread - For Fans

Does anyone else prefer George Michael to this man?

Prince & Warner Bros.

[h=1]Prince Promises New Album and Remasters After Label Partnership[/h]By Kory Grow April 18, 2014 10:35 AM ET
prince-306v-1397831521.jpg

More than two decades after Prince wrote "slave" on his face to protest his contract with Warner Bros. Records, the artist has come to an agreement with the company. Under the new partnership, Warners will release previously unheard material and a digitally remastered, deluxe 30th anniversary edition of his 1984 soundtrack to Purple Rain with more projects in the works. The agreement is also advantageous to Prince, as he now has ownership and control over the master recordings of his Warner Bros. catalog. "The financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed," a Warner Bros. press release said.

The artist commented, "A brand-new studio album is on the way and both Warner Bros. Records and Eye are quite pleased with the results of the negotiations and look forward to a fruitful working relationship."
"Everyone at Warner Bros. Records is delighted to be working with Prince once again: he is one of the world's biggest stars and a truly unique talent" Warner Bros. Chairman and CEO Cameron Strang said in a statement. "We are also very excited about the release of new and remastered music from one of his greatest masterpieces."

In 1992, Prince signed a lucrative deal with Warner Bros., but their relationship suffered when the label would not put out his music at the pace he wanted. In 1993, he changed his name to an unpronounceable "love symbol" and scrawled the word "slave" on his face. Warner Bros. then dropped its distribution deal with Prince's Paisley Park imprint, putting it out of business. The Artist, as he was then known, put out his single "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World" on an indie, which Warner allowed and subsequently put out records culled from the Artist's vaults, releasing albums under both the Prince name and symbol. By 1996, the Artist had secured a new distribution deal with Warner rival Capitol and put out the triple-CD Emancipation.

"People think I'm a crazy fool for writing 'slave' on my face," he told Rolling Stone in 1996. "But if I can't do what I want to do, what am I? When you stop a man from dreaming, he becomes a slave. That's where I was. I don't own Prince's music. If you don't own your masters, your master owns you."

Beginning in 2013, in keeping with the decade-plus in which Prince has been putting out music on his own accord, the artist has been teasing a new album by leaking new music via Twitter like "Da Bourgeoisie" and, in a rare (and funny) television appearance on Arsenio, "FunkNRoll." In February, he played himself on an episode of The New Girl, and the next month, he issued a single of the tune he sang on the show, a duet with the TV show's Zooey Deschanel titled "FallInLove2Nite." He also debuted songs from an album titled Plectrumelectrum, which was recorded with his all-female backing band 3rd Eye Girl, in the wee hours of a February morning in a New York club.

"No one can play like this band," Prince told Rolling Stone in March for the Spring Music Preview. "People are going to try, but they won't be able to." He said that the group played the album live, "no punch-ins," and that they recorded until they got the take they wanted.

I only bought "Art Official Age", not the girl band one, lol! I am very happy with this release, it almost feels like a throwback Prince album. The man is a genius, even using an Alvin & the Chipmunks sound effect in "Breakfast Can Wait" and it WORKS, bahahahaha!

Do your thang, Prince. Do your THANG! :girl_dance:

[h=2]Prince's music removed from all streaming services except Tidal[/h]
By Brian Anthony Hernandez19 minutes ago

Prince, who memorably proclaimed "the Internet's completely over" in 2010, is now absent from all streaming services except Jay Z's music platformTidal.

"Prince's publisher has asked all streaming services to remove his catalog," a Spotify spokesperson told Mashable on Wednesday. "We have cooperated with the request, and hope to bring his music back as soon as possible."

Mashable has reached out to Prince's publicist and Tidal for more details about the removals, which coincidentally happened on the same day Prince released a suggestive new song — "HARDROCKLOVER" — on Soundcloud.

Only some of Prince's music was on Spotify and elsewhere in the first place, with some albums noticeably missing (i.e. Emancipation). Most of Prince's work also isn't on YouTube.

When Prince made his death-of-the-Internet statement five years ago, he also said, "I don't see why I should give my new music to iTunes or anyone else."

Before Wednesday's removal, you could find his most-recent albums on Spotify and other streaming platforms.
His music is still available on iTunes, but it's not streamable on Apple Music.
Here is Prince's Tidal page, where his music is still up.

http://mashable.com/2015/07/01/prin...ial&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

I know it's a typical Prince move. I also know he has the right to do with his music whatever he wants to. But I can't help but think that he is only hurting his own legacy.

^^^ I agree. Youtube helped me discover a lot of artists. Speaking of which, I saw him play guitar while performing "Dreamer", "She's Always In My Hair" and the solo for "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" today. Fantastic !!!! Thanks again youtube !!!! :)

Last edited:
I only bought "Art Official Age", not the girl band one, lol! I am very happy with this release, it almost feels like a throwback Prince album. The man is a genius, even using an Alvin & the Chipmunks sound effect in "Breakfast Can Wait" and it WORKS, bahahahaha!

Do your thang, Prince. Do your THANG! :girl_dance:

The other album has one incredible song called Tic Tac Toe. Wow, that one is incredible

^^^ I agree. Youtube helped me discover a lot of artists.

Even these old artists need to understand that kids today live on the Internet. They do not buy albums, they go and watch YouTube or listen to Spotify. They will not buy more Prince albums just because he is not on YT or Spotify. That will only make him forgotten.

I sure would not want the MJ Estate to pull MJ's music from YT or streaming services. Yes, the money from record sales is less but it won't go back to old days now, no matter what. It is what it is and for an older artist who does not get much airplay in mainstream radio it is important to be on platforms (streaming services) where his music gets exposure.

Re: Prince...........

Prince is God, it is in my sig, but I liked Michael first and Michael is a very close second. Honestly Michael would be first if he released an album or more every year like Prince. But for me Michael is so much more about quality rather than quantity. Prince has made some earth shattering music, but also a lot of lesser music, yet there are NO bad Michael Jackson albums or songs. At the moment I am about 60% Prince, 40% Michael Jackson. I have all of their albums, easy for Michael, but hard for Prince.
I am a big time member on prince.org, but not happy with their policy with one Michael Jackson thread only, with duplicate MJ stuff flowing back to it. Still if I take all my Prince and Michael Albums together and list them. Here you are

Best Prince
1. Sign o the Times
2. 1999 (Same level as Thriller)
3. Parade
4. Dirty Mind (Same level as Bad and Dangerous)
5. Purple Rain (Same level as off the wall)
6. The Gold Experience
7. Lovesexy
8. Controversy
9. Art Official Age (Xscape was not the only great album of 2014)
10. Around the World in a day.

Plus you all have to admit Prince can dance, but doesnot have a patch on the King of Pop. Plus Prince was playing Can't stop until you get enoughon his 2012 welcome 2 Australia tour and mentioned he missed Michael.

Latest news, Prince will release a new album later this year. It will be a 3rd eye girl disc - Free Urself, but who is not to say if there is a Prince solo album too like last year where we got 2 new albums. Along with Xscape, it was a great year.

First single will be Stare and it is possible the cuts Hardrocklover and protest song Baltimore will be on it too. If anything Prince is proving he is still at the top of his game.

So WOW, Pretzelbodylogic and Fixurlifeup did not appeal to you? I like most of the songs on it, Xcept Boytrouble, if Prince needs to learn anything off Michael, it is the MJ school of quality control. No Boytrouble type stinkers on any Michael Jackson product!

Latest news, Prince will release a new album later this year. It will be a 3rd eye girl disc - Free Urself, but who is not to say if there is a Prince solo album too like last year where we got 2 new albums. Along with Xscape, it was a great year.

First single will be Stare and it is possible the cuts Hardrocklover and protest song Baltimore will be on it too. If anything Prince is proving he is still at the top of his game.

Sounds cool. I think his music is awesome. Haven't checked all the latest releases but I grooved soooo badly to Breakfast can wait :)

Well then you absolutely have to get Art Official Age, it is Prince's best album since the Gold Experience. Songs like Clouds, Time, way back home, The Breakdown, This could be us, and U know are just pure Cream.

Plectrum Electrum is less good, but has some standouts like Anotherlove, Fixurlifeup, Funknroll, Plectrum Electrum and Pretzelbodylogic.

New songs like Stare, Hardrocklover and Baltimore are pretty amazing. It is a great year to be a Prince fan.

Well then you absolutely have to get Art Official Age, it is Prince's best album since the Gold Experience. Songs like Clouds, Time, way back home, The Breakdown, This could be us, and U know are just pure Cream.

Plectrum Electrum is less good, but has some standouts like Anotherlove, Fixurlifeup, Funknroll, Plectrum Electrum and Pretzelbodylogic.

New songs like Stare, Hardrocklover and Baltimore are pretty amazing. It is a great year to be a Prince fan.

I love Gold, the song. I especially remember playin' it in one special occasion long ago. I actually love plenty of other stuff after it as well - The Rainbow Children, 3121 which is uberrr funky and Musicology also rock. I will get newer stuff as soon as possible. He truly is completely brilliant, bless him.

Last edited:
I love Gold, the song. I especially remember playin' it in one special occasion long ago. I actually love plenty of other stuff after it as well - The Rainbow Children, 3141 which is uberrr funky and Musicology also rock. I will get newer stuff as soon as possible. He truly is completely brilliant, bless him.

I think you mean 3121, but I get what you are saying, just listen to all the funky Prince stuff you can and you can see why MJ had to keep lifting the bar, he didnot want this purple upstart from Minnewhereever it is upstaging him. When you get AOA prepare to have your ears expanded and blown apart. Prince is truly cooking at the moment!

^^^Oooops, you are so very right. Can I blame the early hour for it? LOL

When you get AOA prepare to have your ears expanded and blown apart. Prince is truly cooking at the moment!

Interesting way of putting things :p I guess I better get ready for the kitchen then.

Great, that album needs to be heard. I am even sure Michaelupin heaven has heard it and said "Prince stop stealing my ideas"

Just have to say, I read the first pages of this thread (Up to the 22nd) and I know its all 6/7 years ago, but I can't understand why there is not room in all of our hearts for both of these first rank artists. Some people just really don't like Prince at all, and others are going on about the hate on the org (Prince) for MJ. It's not true, they had to limit the number of threads about him to one and we flaunt it all the time. One guy even has a sig there "MJ Fan 1992 -forever".

If anything its the moderators at prince.org who get a bee in their bonnet about MJ threads and the law is laxer now, with a thread about the Jackson brothers not being locked and the occasional Janet one too. The Brothers thread mentions them in the studio again and the usual jokes about greasy looking Jermaine is "He needs to stop getting his hair done at Jiffy Lube", and then we decided that Tito and Marlon are the best looking Jacksons now with Randy and LaToya the worst.

I myself have always loved both artists and repsected their gifts as musicians and in Michael's case a person. Prince has been too uppity and too much "I am a star, leave me alone" whereas MIchael never stopped saying how much he loved his fans. My favourite statement by him was about him saluting the love of his fans, by saying "I may be the captain of my ship, but you are the winds that propel my sail". That is wonderful and all the other times, he mentions how much he respects his fans love and undying devotion. Prince on the other hand is a musical quasar, but in life he is a grade a Asshole. He has goons who pushed people away, he instantly gags his music on youtube and other channels and any minor breach of copyright brings the Paisley Park po po as we call it. Prince barely even thanks his fans for buying the albums, appears on tv shows by playing his song and running off or giving cryptic ass answers to questions.

Whereas Michael was always polite, well spoken, gracious and a gentleman. I love both, maybe Prince's music a bit more, but Michael Jackson is a person I can also respect and admire as a friend and a gentleman.

^ I think there are a number of people who like both artists. I am included, although Michael is more important to me, but I like Prince's music too. (I am mad at him for pulling his music from Spotify though.)

When I visited Prince.org I did not get the impression that generally people hate MJ there. Obviously there are some, but there are many who like both. In fact, I think there is more overlap between MJ and Prince fans than, say, MJ and Nirvana fans. :p

Agree totally, and I know so many of us would have been in instant nirvana if there had ever been a Prince/Michael Jackson duet. Imagine how it would have sounded with Aowws!!!, Hehhhehs! and Chowow and Owoowww!!! Would have been the funkiest song ever made.

Just heard Prince's new album, its okay but not great, but Prince fans will love 1000X's & O's and Fallinlove2nite along with hard rock lover, Million $ Party and Shut this down. But its a short album with a lot of filler. Which is what pisses me off about the man. Michael would never add slipshod filler to high quality music. If Prince could use MJ's legenday quality control, he would be a bigger star.

Still new Prince music is always a cause for excitement. Meanwhile where is the next MJ posthumous album?

Meanwhile where is the next MJ posthumous album?

It's only 2015. They have plenty time to release one more album of unreleased music until 2017. Don't forget that there is limited amount of releasable material available to them. I guess it will be their last project released under current Sony Music contract, probably in fall of 2017. My opinion is that Off The Wall re-issue, HIStory Tour 3D and Thriller 3D will be released prior to the new album of unreleased material.

The new Prince album has had a physical CD release finally and I got mine today. It's okay but it is not Xscape. Still its good he is making music.

Prince has released another new album called "Hitnrun Phase 2" on Tidal and bootleg. It is great and easily his best album in years. Featuring a lot of smooth and sexy R and B ala style of Al Green, Sly Stone and Marvin Gaye. Standouts include the steamy ballads When She comes and Revelations. Also included is this years cry for peace - Baltimore with the chant, "There ain't no justice, if there ain't np peace" and R and R love affair. Horns and trumpets bring into sax/sex factor and this is a great album for the R and B purist. It's Prince doing Prince music that is likely to be inspiration for D'Angelo and even a bit of Gary Clark Junior.

Back