Prince Appreciation Thread - For Fans

Morris Hayes

Morris Hayes (April 25, 2016): Hello FB fam. This is my first post since the tragic loss of my brother, Prince. I am here in Mpls. with my former band mates and co-workers to grieve, hug, laugh and most of all figure out what happen with my brother Prince. I know it's hard for us the band, administration, crew and the lovers of his work to not have a central place to pay our respects, but last night we were able to at least get together with a few friends and celebrate this great man's life. I so wish you could have felt the love I did last night. One thing is for sure, know that The Revolution, The N.P.G., Sheila E., 3rd Eye Girl, The Time, The Family, Mazarati and all the rest represented there last night love you, the lovers of his work, and will always be grateful for your concern and support. Without you, there is no us. You have been good to us and we will continue to be good to you. Please know that all those groups live on. This shot here is part of the justice league of keyboard players minus the greats, Renato Neto, Cassandra O'Neal, Kip Blackshire, Chance Howard, Rosie Gaines, the late Bonnie Boyer, Gayle Chapman and Rad. (Hope I didn't overlook anyone!) We missed you last night. Much love everyone and peace and be wild!
13087390_1688604814739607_2670845960738878164_n.jpg

Morris Hayes, Paul Peterson, Monte Moir, Lisa Coleman, Matt Fink, Tommy Barbarella

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I found my letter from <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Prince?src=hash">#Prince</a> <a href="https://t.co/m57p9UQprK">pic.twitter.com/m57p9UQprK</a></p>&mdash; Suzanne Vega (@suzyv) <a href="https://twitter.com/suzyv/status/724728422006554624">April 25, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Re: Mtv

Yeah Jamie Foxx, so good at doing imitations of so called gay celebrities. A bit offensive maybe, but this is truly funny, his Dirty Little Dick where he does Little Richard as a cop if hilarious too - "Shut up!". For a man who brags about being straight, he wears drag a lot and is known for his "gay" imitations of people like Prince and Little Richard.

Not offensive if he was doing a straight up impersonation of them, haha
His Prince was spot on :D

DuranDuran;4147226 said:
<iframe style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: block; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium none;" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" allowfullscreen="true" allowtransparency="true" scrolling="no" id="twitter-widget-0" frameborder="0"></iframe>
I found my letter from #Prince pic.twitter.com/m57p9UQprK
&#8212; Suzanne Vega (@suzyv) April 25, 2016
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ah, he liked "Luka". I love that song too. (And considering the theme I wouldn't be surprised if MJ had liked it too.)
<iframe style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium none;" allowfullscreen="true" allowtransparency="true" scrolling="no" id="rufous-sandbox" frameborder="0"></iframe><iframe style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium none;" allowfullscreen="true" allowtransparency="true" scrolling="no" id="rufous-sandbox" frameborder="0"></iframe>

In 2009, I wondered, how could people who only knew Michael from Thriller and Bad mourn him so much? But now, I understand.

The last few days, it really hit me--I've been feeling so sad about Prince's passing. I first really got into his music around Diamonds and Pearls. Then the Love Symbol Album, The Hits/The B-Sides, The Gold Experience...but then, after he stepped away from the mainstream, I didn't make the effort to keep up with him. Plus I've heard lots of anecdotes in the last couple of weeks about how personable and generous he was...it reminds me a lot of how people didn't know those things about Michael.

So it came as a surprise how much I've been feeling the loss...a great deal of it is regret, that I missed out on so much and took him for granted.

James Rainey
Senior Film Reporter
Variety
prince-batman.jpg

Michael Keaton may forever be associated with Prince in some fans’ minds because the movie star and the pop star both worked on 1989’s “Batman” — the actor starring as the caped crusader and the musician performing the song “Batdance,” which became a No. 1 hit.

But that association meant less to Keaton than his pure admiration for Prince at the time of the pop star’s death Thursday.
“I put him up there with Duke Ellington, Stevie Wonder, Miles [Davis] among the true greats,” said Keaton. “Some musicians had their moments. He had what seemed like centuries of being great.”

Keaton said he was in his car in his driveway in Los Angeles when he heard the news on the radio of a body being discovered at Prince’s Minneapolis home. He imagined it had to be a family member, or someone else, anyone but the singer.

“He was one of those people you just assume, ‘I am going to be watching what Prince does when he is 80,’” Keaton said. “And it is going to be as good or better, and as innovative, as it is now.”

The actor, who will appear later this year in “The Founder” as McDonald’s-creator Ray Kroc, said he once spent time on a Trans-Atlantic flight with Prince. “He did it how he wanted to do it, but it never appeared arrogant, to me anyway,” Keaton said. “He seemed to have this beautiful, cool, elusive image. And it seemed real. And, if he did use it to market himself, he did that better than anyone else, too.”

The two did not work directly together on the Tim Burton-directed “Batman.” But the “Birdman” actor said he appreciated Prince before and after the making of the film. He admired the fact that Prince always worked out of his home base. “He was a special person who didn’t have to move to New York or Paris or Los Angeles for fame. He stayed right there in Minneapolis. There was no one who did it like Prince did it.”

Re: Zooey Deschanel (May 9, 2016)

Prince Reflection: Spike Lee, Questlove, and more remember Prince | Panel 2016

Spike did a similar panel discussion for MJ back when died, but I can't find it anywhere.

tboz-0-435.jpg

She don't want no scrubs &#8211; and she doesn't want any fakers, either.

"It's kinda sad because a lot of the real artists, the people I look up to, are not here anymore, like Prince &#8211; he was the last of many," TLC's Tionne ''T-Boz'' Watkins tells PEOPLE. "He enforced everything that I do. If it weren't for Prince or Michael Jackson, I wouldn't be who I am. They inspired me that much, to create my own character."

And while the R&B veteran &#8211; who will release her memoir, A Sick Life, in September 2017 &#8211; celebrates breakouts like Bryson Tiller and consistent chart-toppers, from Beyoncé and Kanye West to Drake, she says none compare to her funky childhood icon.

"He was a genius. People call themselves geniuses, but they're visionaries. A visionary and a genius are two separate things, and I think some of these artists get it twisted," she says.

Over the years, Watkins, now 46, grew to enjoy a special bond with the Purple One, who died April 21 at his Paisley Park compound in Chanhassen, Minnesota.

"Everybody always used to ask, 'How did you get to redo Prince's songs? He never clears anybody!' and I'm like, 'I don't know!'" recalls Watkins. (TLC recorded a version of Prince's "If I Was Your Girlfriend" on their hit CrazySexyCool.)"I know we were his favorite group. He would often tell me I was his favorite. Like, really? You grow up and are like, 'No way, this is not happening.'"

Watkins says one of her favorite moments with the late icon was when he surprised them at a concert, joining them onstage unannounced.

"One time we were at Madison Square Garden, and I heard Janet [Jackson] and Prince were gonna be there, but I didn't see them," she says. "So I'm onstage, and I hear this guitar, and I stopped in my tracks. I was like, 'Oh my God, if I turn around and it's Prince&#8230;' I turn around, and it's Prince! I almost flew off the stage. It's like I was 10 years old or something, like, 'T-Boz, get it together!' I had to remember where I was because I had lost everything."

The TLC star, who plans to release new music this year, says she and Prince once had plans to re-release his hit "If I Was Your Girlfriend."

"We were supposed to do it together, but that's when he quit the industry and put 'slave' on his cheek. He told me sorry, that he just couldn't do the song but it had nothing to do with us and he couldn't work in the industry," she says. "He used to fax [label executive] L.A. Reid stuff saying 'Free TLC.' He always had our back. It was so funny. He had the best sense of humor."

Adds Watkins: "He was just so respectful. You just cant believe someone like that is so gracious, so kind and humble. I was such a big fan. He'd make fun of me. We had our own little special relationship. [His death] really hurt me."

http://www.people.com/article/tlc-tboz-prince-always-had-our-back-remembers-genius

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/genesimmons">@genesimmons</a> recent heartless and uneducated remarks about Prince’s death shows why he’s not my hero anymore or anybody’s. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/FromHeroToZero?src=hash">#FromHeroToZero</a></p>&mdash; &#10060; Nikki Sixx &#10060; (@NikkiSixx) <a href="https://twitter.com/NikkiSixx/status/730478002925096961">May 11, 2016</a></blockquote>

DuranDuran;4149254 said:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/genesimmons">@genesimmons</a> recent heartless and uneducated remarks about Prince’s death shows why he’s not my hero anymore or anybody’s. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/FromHeroToZero?src=hash">#FromHeroToZero</a></p>&mdash; &#10060; Nikki Sixx &#10060; (@NikkiSixx) <a href="https://twitter.com/NikkiSixx/status/730478002925096961">May 11, 2016</a></blockquote>
He's no better.

I think I've just become Prince's fan. (Don't laugh at me please.) I'm just being confused atm cause he left behind so much music, but I feel I only like a small fraction. I particularly enjoy Darling Nikki, Sexy MF, and New Power Soul and Musicology albums. I'm listening to HITnRUN Phase II, so I'm yet to see whether I'll like it or not.

Cinnamon234;1273535 said:
Okay, where are all my Prince fans at? I know there are a lot of Michael fans such as myself who love Prince as well. After Michael, Prince is my favorite artist actually. What can I say about Prince really that hasn't been said already? I mean he's a musical genius and one of the greatest and most influential entertainers ever. I saw him on his "Musicology" tour three times back a few years ago and thought he was incredible. Definitely the best live performer i've ever seen.

prince_of_persia_prince.jpg

My Top 10 Prince albums:

1)Sign 'O' The Times
2)1999
3)Purple Rain
4)Parade
5)Black Album
6)The Rainbow Children
7)Prince
8)Emancipation
9)The Gold Experience
10)Diamonds & Pearls

What about everyone else? What is your fave Prince album (s), song, etc.?

Cinnamon, I, like you, am one of these fans. To me, Prince, as far as his musical talent, is considered as equal to Michael Jackson - right up there (in high ranking) with him.

Neither one of them should be thought of as having “competed with” one another. Both of them were great musical artists, with each man (and his work) having been totally different from the other - in the sense of any two or more people being, or having been, 180-degrees different - yet, they each expressed their unique musical abilities in any variety of ways.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

A beautiful video tribute done by a Prince fan about his fans and that last concert in Atlanta. Found it on the .org and felt like sharing it here today :)

His spirit and his music will live on always.

Tavis Smiley on Sway In The Morning - June 27, 2016

In this new interview, Tavis Smiley talks about how Prince spoke about Mike when he passed away at 16:00 - 21:00. He also mentions the Bad story, but that was already known as Prince talked about that on a VH-1 interview with Chris Rock during the symbol era.

Back