Prince Appreciation Thread - For Fans

Guys, I need help identifying a Prince's song. I listened to it on YT the other day, but can't find it anymore and I forgot the name :/ All I remember is it sounded like this song:

Actually, when I heard the Prince's song, I thought: "Whoa, it must have sampled Ohh La La by the Wise Guys!" I tried to look up who sampled this song, but Prince wasn't listed, but it's possible that he sampled an element that was also sampled by the Wise Guys...

I have no idea.....I don't think its sounds like any of his early songs. Try one of the Prince boards and see what they say. You got me stumped :busted:

Can't say I hear any connection. Meanwhile there is some hot mess thread on a MJ post about Michael and Prince offing themselves and Prince trying to run over MJ and Latoya after the 1983 James Brown concert.

It's just Quincy Jones being an ass ? and making stupid and inaccurate comments about MJ and Prince.

Can't say I hear any connection. Meanwhile there is some hot mess thread on a MJ post about Michael and Prince offing themselves and Prince trying to run over MJ and Latoya after the 1983 James Brown concert.
Yes-came from Quincy. Sometimes I think he's just playing to his audience. I even laughed at the James Brown story.

Okay, so I'm not a Prince Fan (quite the opposite actually), BUT I just needed to vent somewhere about how the MTV VMAs didn't so much as give the man a video montage.
I mean come on WTF.
He died only MONTHS AGO, and they don't do a damn thing for him.
What MTV did was shady as HELL, and I hope they catch HELL for it.

Rant over. :)

Last edited:
You mean at org? I thought the MJ thread was shut down cause there was too much mess going round lol.

They did, there was a storm of moderating and they introduced a new thread. They have eased off a bit with a separate thread for the birthday allowed. Meanwhile on good thing, is that most record stores have seen a flood of Prince albums released on CD and now you can buy virtually any album from 1978's For You through to the Hits/Bsides of 1993 and also the very best of and the last 4 albums (Hit n run 1 and 2, Art Official age and Plectrum Electrum by 3rd eye girl featuring Prince).

Never has it been easier for you all to get into Prince!

They did, there was a storm of moderating and they introduced a new thread. They have eased off a bit with a separate thread for the birthday allowed. Meanwhile on good thing, is that most record stores have seen a flood of Prince albums released on CD and now you can buy virtually any album from 1978's For You through to the Hits/Bsides of 1993 and also the very best of and the last 4 albums (Hit n run 1 and 2, Art Official age and Plectrum Electrum by 3rd eye girl featuring Prince).

It was earlier a year or so ago when he was on Spotify, Apple Music etc etc :p (that's where I got my first taste of him).

Well, I've been downloading them from Tidal :p The sad thing is they don't have the Goldnigga album and I don't know where to get it :/

By Chris Cooke | Wednesday 29 March 2017 | Complete Music Update
prince1250.jpg

Questions are being asked about the three big deals done between the Prince estate and Universal Music by some of the late musician’s heirs, or at least those advising said heirs, according to the Wall Street Journal. Though the two men who negotiated the deals – L Londell McMillan and Charles Koppelman – insist that everything was above board, with one dismissing any complaints from Prince’s siblings as “sour grapes”.

As previously reported, Universal secured the big three deals with the Prince estate, getting the rights to rep the musician’s self-released and unreleased recordings via its record company, his songs catalogue via its music publisher, and his brand and merchandise business via its merch company Bravado. It’s thought the three deals combined were worth around $60 million. However, the WSJ says that some of those close to the estate are now asking whether there were actually better deals that could have been done.

This is in part based on allegations that the estate generally ignored attempts to bid by Sony Music and didn’t provide Warner Music with enough information about the recordings catalogue available to represent. Sources also claim that Sony/ATV put forward what might have been a better offer for the music publishing rights, while at least one other party topped Bravado’s bid for the merchandising rights.

McMillan insists that he and Koppelman secured the best deals for the estate, pointing out that the two men were on a commission – so were incentivised to maximise the return – though that they also had to consider other factors, such as each bidder’s size, scope, expertise and vision. He adds that there wasn’t actually much information to share regarding the vault of unreleased recordings – because no one has as yet delved into that library – and that the other bidder for merch rights wanted to buy rather than license the Prince brand, which wasn’t an option the estate was considering.

As previously reported, there have been various tensions and disagreements between the six presumed heirs of Prince, some of whom have already criticised McMillan and Koppelman’s work for the estate. Those heirs also blocked McMillan’s bid to become a permanent advisor to the estate, with the judge overseeing the case ultimately deciding not to officially appoint any individual advisors because of the ongoing disagreements.

Elsewhere in Prince estate news, the legal wrangling continues between it and Tidal over what rights the streaming service was given by the musician before his death to stream his recordings. As previously reported, the estate argues that Tidal only secured short-term exclusive rights to Prince’s penultimate album, but the streaming firm says it had a wider arrangement with the star, who took most of his music off the other streaming services after striking up an alliance with Tidal and its owner Jay-Z.

The matter went legal last year, with the estate arguing that Tidal doesn’t have the paperwork to back up its claims of having a wider deal with Prince. In the latest development, according to The Hollywood Reporter, Tidal is now seemingly arguing that in 2015 Prince became one of the streaming firm’s celebrity shareholders via an arrangement which obligated the musician to license it the streaming rights in his catalogue. A so called ‘equity term sheet’ setting out the basics of that arrangement has been submitted as evidence.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-39441461

Prince's Sign O' The Times, 30 years on

Thirty years ago, Prince was at a turning point in his career.

The film Purple Rain and its soundtrack had made him a star in 1984. But the following two years saw, by commercial expectations, three flops: The albums Around The World In A Day and Parade, as well as the ill-conceived, self-directed movie bomb Under The Cherry Moon.

He decided to cut loose. He split from his band, The Revolution, and planned a triple album - Crystal Ball. But his label, Warner Bros, put their foot down and the project became the double disc Sign O' The Times, released on 31 March, 1987.

It would become one of the most acclaimed albums of the second half of the 20th century, and remains Prince's masterpiece - encompassing all of his musical personas: bedroom balladeer; penitent Christian; one-track-mind loverman; modern-day Basie-style bandleader; whimsical storyteller; meticulous orchestrator, guitar-wielding axeman and pop craftsman.

Prince, then 29 years old, created it in a period of feverish activity, making copious use of a new Linn drum machine, and a state-of-the-art Prophet-5 synthesiser, borrowed from his keyboard player Matt "Dr" Fink.

"Just to be clear, he really did a lot of stuff on that album on his own," recalls Fink. "[Two] years later, he did Batman with no help in the studio, as far as I know."

Even engineer Susan Rogers, his closest collaborator at the time, was banished to another room when Prince recorded vocals in the basement of his house.

"He may have been feeling a bit constricted and hemmed in by the familial," reflects Jill Jones, who sang with Prince from 1982 to 1990.

The title track, as well as Housequake, The Ballad of Dorothy Parker, It, Hot Thing, Forever In My Life, U Got The Look, The Cross and Adore "all emanated from him", Fink adds.

Others were reworked from sessions for a clutch of abandoned albums - Dream Factory, planned as the fourth album by Prince and the Revolution; and Camille, a disc of songs recorded by Prince in the sped-up voice of an androgynous alter-ego.

For good measure, while making Sign O' The Times, Prince also wrote and recorded for other people, including The Bangles, George Clinton, Taja Sevelle, Sheila E, Sheena Easton and Jill Jones.

This time-frame of his career remains the most exciting to students of The Vault, the collection of hundreds of unreleased songs housed at Paisley Park and the subject of much debate since his untimely death last April.

Brent Fischer, who alongside his late father Dr Clare Fischer wrote orchestral accompaniments for Prince's albums from 1985 to 2010, estimates "about 70 per cent of the songs we worked on with Prince remain unreleased".

Eric Leeds, his saxophonist from 1984 to 2003, reckons the figure is "over 90 per cent... And those were just the songs with horns".

"It is as creative a period," argues Hot Chip's Alexis Taylor, "as The Beatles from Rubber Soul to The White Album; or Stevie Wonder from Music of My Mind to Songs in the Key of Life".

Taylor ranks Sign O' The Times in his "top four favourite" albums, alongside The Beach Boys' Pet Sounds, The Beatles' White Album and Sly & The Family Stone's There's a Riot Going On.

"But I'm not afraid to group it as the best," he adds.

"What I like about it is it's a personal-sounding record, quite a dark record. It doesn't have his biggest hits on it and that might not reach out to quite so many people."

Prince spent three days - an uncharacteristically long time - perfecting the Sheena Easton duet U Got The Look

The title and opening track was not for faint-hearted radio pluggers. It addressed Aids ("a big disease with a little name"), social inequality, drugs, gun crime and mothers struggling to feed their children. The "O" of the title was rendered as a peace sign.

Although Fink recalls that "Prince didn't talk politics very much", Van Jones, a former special advisor to President Obama and Prince's friend from 2009, reckons otherwise.

"He was incredibly socially aware. You can put on Marvin Gaye's What's Going On and feel like you're living through the late '60s and '70s. Put on Sign O' The Times and you can get a sense of how the '80s and '90s were playing out. It still has that timeless quality."

'He needed a hit'

Sign O' The Times and U Got the Look, recorded with Sheena Easton, laid the commercial groundwork for fans to accept what was, in part, an experimental record.

According to notes Prince wrote for his 1993 Hits album, the latter track was deliberately written in the style of Robert Palmer's Addicted To Love - as a challenge to a friend who would only dance to his songs when they became popular.

Although he laboured for hours over the tempo and structure of the song, "the friend didn't like the song until it was in the Top 10".

"This relationship in itself reveals a touch of his business acumen," says Jill Jones, hinting at Prince's pragmatism, "because at that time he managed to parlay himself back into the pop sphere. He also needed a hit record."

Elsewhere, Prince wasn't afraid to use bandmates or even strangers for inspiration.

It's Going To Be a Beautiful Night, seen as an affectionate tribute to The Revolution, was "a live / studio jam" according to one of its co-writers, Eric Leeds.

"It was rather spontaneously written at the soundcheck before a gig in Paris. We recorded the song live during the concert that evening. Weeks later we added additional parts in the studio."

One of the album's more enigmatic tracks is The Ballad Of Dorothy Parker, a psychedelic funk track about a waitress who mocks Prince when he orders a fruit cocktail ("Sounds like a real man to me").

Although it borrows the name of the wisecracking journalist, Prince had no idea who she was; telling Tionne "T-Boz" Watkins of TLC (who would later cover the album's If I Was Your Girlfriend) it was inspired by a real-life encounter.

"He told me it was about this waitress he met," she says. "He had a crush on her and they were flirting but [Prince] told her he had a girlfriend.

"That's why he said in the song he wanted to have a bath with her - but keep his pants on."

That girlfriend (or even fiancee) for much of recording was Susannah Melvoin, who inspired and took a writing credit on the playful playground song Starfish and Coffee.

According to Matt Fink, it originally had a much different title.

"It was basically a story about when she was a schoolgirl and elementary school, she and Wendy (Melvoin, Prince's ex-guitarist and Susannah's sister) had a girl in their class who was mentally challenged and she used to talk about Starfish and Pee-pee.

"She told Prince the story. He was fascinated and felt for her disability and they worked on a song which became Starfish and Coffee."

The prodigious inventiveness of Sign O' The Times won Prince five star reviews from Q Magazine and Rolling Stone, which named it one of the top 500 albums of all time. But to this day, the album provokes debate.

Jones and Leeds both question Prince's former head of security Gilbert Davison, who claimed in GQ that Prince wrote the first of the two discs "in a three-and-a-half-hour plane ride."

"I recognise some of the songs on this album as having been written other times" maintains Jill Jones. "Like Strange Relationship, The Cross and others. (A studio version of I Could Never Take The Place of Your Man originates from 1982). Not so sure it all happened in one go."

T-Boz hails it as her favourite record. "When I first heard If I was Your Girlfriend, I almost lost it. I would play it eight to 10 times a day. My mom was ready to kill me. Or Prince."

Asked about U2 beating Prince in the best album category at 1988's Grammys, she snarls: "No disrespect to U2, but you don't wanna get me started on that…"

Jones is more relaxed, calling it "no skin off Prince's nose".

Sign O' The Times remains Prince's "high water mark" among critics and musical commentators, according to both Fischer and Leeds.

Leeds claims: "It displays perhaps more than any other of his albums the range of his musicality. If someone just getting into his music was to ask me for the best place to start, I would direct them to Sign O' The Times."

The Roots' bandleader Questlove, disagrees: "I never tell Prince newbies to start their listening with it," he wrote on Instagram last year.

"I tell 'em… 'Save it for last'. Most come back to let me know I was correct. Man, that's cool."

I agree, Sign o the Times was the finest Prince album of all time. I have done several Youtube videos on it under the name Adorecream.
1st video is about the series and the album
2nd is about the process it got amde
3rd is about the singles, promotion, reaction, tour and movie

I am also going to tape a 4th video where I review the tracks and Bsides and a last video on its legacy.

SOTT would have done better, had he not released If I was ur girlfriend a quirky but great song as a second single and had he toured in the States.
Of course 1987 too wa sthe year that gave us the Perfect album - Bad and great albums by George Michael, U2, Whitney Houston and Terence Trent Diarby amongst others.

Interesting article! I forgot that Sign of the Times was up for a Grammy that year. I just remember U2 winning over Bad-

June 7th 1958 - forever

To my own shame, I had forgotten that today was Prince's birthday. Thankfully, the good folks at the local subway provided a most welcome reminder when early in the morning I saw the headline and images from his Superbowl performance. And btw of the man's birthday, on prince.org I've found this awesome little picture........

600811_384597271646123_1147622733_n_zps066b9a0a.jp  g

And as if my forgetfulness about the occasion wasn't enough, it was only half an hour ago that I found out that one of my favorite songs of his, 4 the tears in your eyes featured on the We are the world album :doh: Leaving silliness aside, here is that wonderful and underrated track [video]http://videos.sapo.pt/NGVTawfvaYouFkahaKP7[/video] and also another favorite of mine

He was utterly amazing, a true genius when it comes both to songwriting and performing. Thank God for the life and many talents of Prince Rogers Nelson and may his soul rest in eternal bliss. He will be missed and loved by countless generations to come.

A Prince musical is set to tour the UK in honour of the late legend.

The director behind the Michael Jackson themed musical Thriller Live is the mind behind the show, named Purple Rain after the singer’s hit single and album of the same name.
He will work alongside producers Adam Spiegel and Mark Goucher, along with Claire-Bridget Kenwright.
The show, based on his greatest hits, is currently in the works, and is set to showcase Prince’s most famous work including tracks such as Kiss, Raspberry Beret, Little Red Corvette and When Doves Cry.
The I Wanna Be Your Lover hitmaker suddenly passed away in April last year from a fentanyl overdose at the age of 57; before his death Prince was taken ill on a flight and had to be rushed to hospital. He had also cancelled two shows due to illness.

Gary Lloyd, director of the new show, said in a statement: ‘Prince’s music and constant reinvention is legendary, so to get the opportunity to bring that and all his colourful characters to the theatrical stage is a dream.

‘There is also a real appetite for live music shows that showcase the musicians as part of the performance. Prince was all about this. Prince was a consummate, theatrical artist, but in our show his music is the star.
‘There will be so much for audiences to enjoy whether they’re fans of musical theatre, Prince, or both. Purple Rain is a fast-paced, music lover’s night out that will tease, surprise and excite audiences in the same way he did.’
<iframe class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7NN3gsSf-Ys?version=3&rel=1&fs=1&autohide=2&showsearch=0&showinfo=1&iv_load_policy=1&wmode=transparent" allowfullscreen="true" style="margin: auto; padding: 0px; border-width: 0px; border-style: initial; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; max-width: 100%; max-height: 100%;"></iframe>

The cast of the show will be made up of 26 actors, who will tour the UK in next year, starting in Bromley on February 1 2018 before making their way to dates in Manchester, Plymouth, Birmingham, Blackpool, Edinburg
<aside class="zone-post-strip" style="margin: 0px 0px 1em; padding: 15px 0px; border-width: 1px 0px; border-top-style: solid; border-right-style: initial; border-bottom-style: solid; border-left-style: initial; border-top-color: rgb(204, 204, 204); border-right-color: initial; border-bottom-color: rgb(204, 204, 204); border-left-color: initial; border-image: initial; font-variant-numeric: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: 10px; line-height: inherit; font-family: ScoutLight, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; clear: both; overflow: hidden; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
</aside>Prince was recently honoured with a speech delivered by his sister Tyka Nelson at the American Music Awards in November.
She said: &#8216;Prince defied the odds. A black teen from Minneapolis with a goal to electrify the world, he had the courage to be different. With his vision [and] God-given talent, he is still one of the world&#8217;s most respected and loved artists.
&#8216;What he told me was that he wanted to be known as the world&#8217;s most prolific songwriter. And with 984 titles to his credit and counting, he has done just that.
&#8216;In the words of Prince: &#8220;With love, honour and respect for every living thing in the universe, separation ceases, and we all become one being, singing one song.&#8221;&#8217;

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2017/06/05/a-prince-musical-is-set-to-come-to-the-uk-6685914/#ixzz4jM2tUOdJ

Stokley interview (June 2017)

Stokley, who is the lead singer for the band Mint Condition, talks about Prince in this new interview. He also mentions meeting Mike when he was working with Jam & Lewis during the Scream sessions.

Partyman / Batdance

Since Purple Rain Deluxe came out, Warners have been uploading Prince music videos every week. Here's 2 of my favorites

I find it annoying that albums such as Gold Experience & Musicology aren't on spotify.

Back