Prince on MJ

Arty

Proud Member
This is the first interview since MJ death where Prince is talking about him.

For several years, you've cultivated the art of surprise concerts in exceptional locations...

I now prefer this format above the traditional tour, it tempts me more. I like being the first and the last to do something. When I played in London in 2007, the O ² Arena, I asked the producers what had been the record number of shows played consecutely in their venue. They said six. I said that I wanted to do twenty-one. During two weeks they refused me, nobody had ever played for so long. All concerts were nevertheless sold out. Since then, Michael Jackson showed me that I should go farther (Michael Jackson had planned to fifty concerts in this venue for what should be his big comeback).

At your concert at the Grand Palais, you've performed a song the Jackson 5 Shake Your Body (Down To The Ground). Was it a tribute?

My singer Elisa has the same timbre as Michael when he was young. And a good song is a good song.

How did you feel at the death of Michael Jackson?

(Prince, obviously reluctant, does not want to dwell on the subject.) It is always sad to lose someone you loved.

Interview conducted by Stéphane Davet

http://www.lemonde.fr/culture/artic...lque-chose_1253842_3246.html#xtor=AL-32280184

See Prince latest live gig in Montreux -video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UO4UbtH17w&feature=player_profilepage

Last edited:
Thank you so much for sharing this. :)
Prince is cool but a very secluded individual.
Anyone know why he's so private?

And can somebody translate that artical please? :)

I don't think Prince is the type to speak about personal feelings or business. He didn't answer questions about when his parents died. He also doesn't respond about his sister Tyka, who's had a lot of trouble in her life. Tyka is his only full sibling, though he has several half siblings. Prince gets upset if employees, friends, or band members speak about him in the press.

Michael and Prince had great admiration and respect each ones talent. You always have that one competitor that help keep on your toes, but those two respected each other.

A little snippet of the "Shake Your Body" performance is posted in the Prince thread located in the 'Music Makes The World Go Round' section.

If my every word could be twisted, dissected, and taken out of context by the media, I would be a very private person as well.

I agree. I would do the same.

I hate that the "new stars" ( stars lol) are going to every talk -show and talking about everything that happend to their lives....where is the mysticism??????

How did you feel at the death of Michael Jackson?

(Prince, obviously reluctant, does not want to dwell on the subject.) It is always sad to lose someone you loved.

:boohoo:

This is why I love the Purple One. I always knew they had the rivalry on the BUSINESS side, but deep down they both had mutual respect & good vibes towards the other.

I agree. I would do the same.

I hate that the "new stars" ( stars lol) are going to every talk -show and talking about everything that happend to their lives....where is the mysticism??????
There are some old celebs that used to "tell all" like John Lennon & Marvin Gaye. But Prince has never been press friendly. When he 1st came out, he used to make up stuff about his background to tell in interviews. Then he banned tape recorders, note pads, and pre written questions. So the interviewer would have to somehow remember what he said. Prince is the opposite of Madonna.

I don't know much about him but thanks for posting.

There are some old celebs that used to "tell all" like John Lennon & Marvin Gaye. But Prince has never been press friendly. When he 1st came out, he used to make up stuff about his background to tell in interviews. Then he banned tape recorders, note pads, and pre written questions. So the interviewer would have to somehow remember what he said. Prince is the opposite of Madonna.
lol he seems funny.

I don't think Prince is the type to speak about personal feelings or business. He didn't answer questions about when his parents died. He also doesn't respond about his sister Tyka, who's had a lot of trouble in her life. Tyka is his only full sibling, though he has several half siblings. Prince gets upset if employees, friends, or band members speak about him in the press.

I didn't know that about his fam:( So he banned tape recorders and what not? sounds like how Mike used to be difficult with reporters too, except he got labelled weird.

I can respect the fact that he don't like talking about his bizniz. In fact, I respect him now because I know that.

Oh, Prince has gotten his share of being called weird.

Awful things - I remember the horrible rumor he was a satan worshipper because of his Controversy song - all he did was say the Our Father prayer (and everything in it was perfect & the way it's done). Then the Purple Rain being played backwards & a campaign to burn Prince Purple Rain records - it was a FRENZY.

And being the cock-tease that's Prince can be sometimes, he'd mess with the press a lot just because he's a cocky, bold mf-er.

But Prince has had his share of tragedy - he retreated for a while after his newborn died & his mother died, that's when he went back to being a Jehovah Witness as a promise to his mother before she died.

And his sister, he's cared for her but she's far too gone in what she was doing. I haven't heard much about her & hope she doing better.

I didn't know that about his fam:( So he banned tape recorders and what not? sounds like how Mike used to be difficult with reporters too, except he got labelled weird.

I can respect the fact that he don't like talking about his bizniz. In fact, I respect him now because I know that.

To lose someone you loved.......

Prince bit late for the emotion don't you think considering you fobbed him off for like 20 years

Nice to hear from Prince. Recently, I felt like they were really friends on the DL. Still competitive, it seems. . . but friends outside of the business.

I know in the late 90s and in 00s, Prince was trying to put all the focus on the music, no more stuff about his private life. I don't know if this was after he changed his name back to Prince from the symbol. I am not 100% sure about this stuff though. . . LOL!

I think in the 00s Michael felt this need to explain himself to people, why he is the way he is--> Bashit Doc and the Fake Rabbi. But everything just backfired and he got caught up in mess after mess.

I mean, Michael was private in that he wouldn't reveal the private details of his life, but he always did things to garner attention to himself because that's the way he was raised in Hollywood. It's all about keeping your name on their lips. The problem was that he was so bent on selling his image, that if the world just got a real look at him (deep voice, gfs, not childlike all the time) then people wouldn't think he was so strange or capable of doing the heinous crimes he was accused of.

Anyways, back to Prince. Thanks Prince! omg, what if somewhere in the vaults there is an MJ/Prince demo or collaboration!?

Nice quote from Prince about feelin hurt when someone you love die.
There was never any rivilary with MJ and Prince, the media tried to create one.

And yes some celebrities do not have any mystery or decency to keep private things private, and that is what made Mike and prince similar, they kept private things private.

Prince has been called weird pretty much his whole career, but when he became Symbol/The Artist and started writing "Slave" on his face, the jokes went into overdrive, lol. Some people didn't understand him willing to risk losing money by fighting Warner Brothers and going independent. Prince is different from a lot of acts in that he's not really as concerned about having hits and being commercial or selling a lot of records, but releasing whatever he wants, whenever he wants, and that he owns the master recordings. That's one of the reasons many people don't like Prince's music, because a lot of times it's not commercial or mainstream at all. He also was the 1st major act try alternative methods in releasing music, rather than getting into a CONtract (as he calls it) with a label.

That's something i can only respect of Prince. If you think about it...this stupid media does NOT have any right asking about his parents, but they do though....but it's not
a must they he answers it, he probably thinks 'it's my personal life, stay the fuck out'
And i like that alot, and can understand it very very well.

If my every word could be twisted, dissected, and taken out of context by the media, I would be a very private person as well.

I agree. I like Prince.

Oh, Prince has gotten his share of being called weird.

Awful things - I remember the horrible rumor he was a satan worshipper because of his Controversy song - all he did was say the Our Father prayer (and everything in it was perfect & the way it's done). Then the Purple Rain being played backwards & a campaign to burn Prince Purple Rain records - it was a FRENZY.

And being the cock-tease that's Prince can be sometimes, he'd mess with the press a lot just because he's a cocky, bold mf-er.

But Prince has had his share of tragedy - he retreated for a while after his newborn died & his mother died, that's when he went back to being a Jehovah Witness as a promise to his mother before she died.

And his sister, he's cared for her but she's far too gone in what she was doing. I haven't heard much about her & hope she doing better.

I have heard some things about the controversy he caused! I still respect him as an artist though and really love his music.

I don't get this ihateprineihateprince shizzle that comes from a lot of MJ fans (I'm not talking about anyone in particular here), and the ihatemjihatemj that comes from Prince fans. I used to be a member of prince.org and it was bloody horrible being an MJ fan on there.

Back