Quincy Jones and Michael. . . What's Q's problem?

Ive always felt there was tension between Michael and Quincy, I cant put my finger on it but I felt like they were just working together. I dont think they were that close. At least not for a long time.

I think Quincy is right

Michael didn't write his greatest hit Thriller + you got to realize there is always a bunch of musicians in the studio , Michael always had producers working for him to create a new sound so Michael didn't have the ability to create a whole instrumental at his own . When you see him in the studio or at a rehearsel he's just directing the musicians or the producer which is a totally different thing .

The sales went crazy because Michael Jackson had those crazy videos .
Imo that's the only reason why Thriller sold so much . Also the fact his skin turned white because of Vitiligo made a very important impact on the sales and had the media talking about him .

Since Quincy stopped working with Michael Jackson it went all wrong
Notice when you hear a MJ song it's always from the Off The Wall , Thriller or Bad album . Ever since his skin turned white the radio didn't play MJ like they used to .

Quincy knows what sounds great because he is a production genius . You can't match Michael with Quincy because Michael is the entertainer . Ofcouse Michael chooses the music and direct a whole bunch but you only can create good wine if you have the good grapes in the first place.

So you don't think Michael was that talented?. I'm sorry, but I have to wonder why you'r posting here then...

And it's not true "everything went wrong" when Michael stopped working with Quincy. I think his best albums are Bad, Dangerous and HIStory. YOu DO hear songs like Balcks or White or Heal the World.

Michael isn't only the entertainer. He is the artist. He wrote most of the songs. And, as far as I know, he would come up with many of the instrumental parts which he would sing to the musicians to play...

Sigh... Yeah, it is my understanding that El Pais is a reputable newspaper. This stump of an article from Wikipedia (though a few years old) concurs that. El Pais is or at least was the leading newspaper in Spain. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_País

So... I'd have to conclude Quincy Jones is... :no:

Yeah, El País is a reputable newspaper (not that those newspapers aren't capable of writing tabloid-like articles...).

Just look at their website: www.elpais.es
YOu probably don't speak Spanish, but tabloids LOOK like tabloids. Compare that website with www.thesun.com, www.newsoftheworld.co.uk, even a Chilean tabloid www.lun.com.
The difference is so clear.

Also notice how the El País article is an interview. They just published the interview. Question and answer. Almost no commentary. When you see an interview in a tabloid, at least half of it is commentary or paraphrasing from the "journalist", with quotes from the person interviewd.

Don't get me wrong. . . I really, really hope that this comment was somehow misconstrued or something. I tweeted the article to Quincy and asked him if this was what he really meant.

I wonder if Quincy meant that Michael was not as musically talented as those other guys he mentioned, rather than overall talent. But, that doesn't make sense either because Michael would compose and arrange music with his own voice.

I think it's just all about taking credit for Michael's success. Michael doesn't even get half the recognition that he shoud get for his songwriting and producing. All his songs are his visions, even when written by others. He morphs them into what he wants.

I read this article on the pre-Motown history of the Jackson 5 and there were literally like 20+ people claiming that they discovered the J5 and Michael. Go figure. . .

If Quincy is still bitter about Michael, he should just keep it to himself. There were so many people throughout Michael's life that used him and abused him. I'd rather not put Quincy in that category, but I might just have to if we continue to get comments like this.

Last edited:
I´ll write to Quincy 10 tweets every f.... day until I´ll get a f.... answer!

You guys know I had to post this info again, right. . .. ;) We can ask him nicely, but I think what he is saying needs to be accounted for.

Somebody posted on this thread that Quincy recently aid that he thought Prince was a genius and now he is saying that Michael didn't have much talent. . .WTF?

Nothing against Prince, but we all know that Michael and Prince are on par with each other musically and Prince had once called Michael a musical genius.

Rolling Stone declared Michael a musical prodigy at the age of 11 years old.

Everyone can't deny that Michael had more talent in him than a majority of the people we are seeing in the music scene these days. SO if Quincy says that Michael didn't have much talent, what does that say about all the othe people under him?

TWITTER
http://twitter.com/QuincyDJones

FACEBOOK
http://www.facebook.com/QuincyJones

MYSPACE
http://www.myspace.com/quincyjones

Also found this youtube video of the 1984 Grammys. While accepting an award with Michael, Quincy declares to the world:

'MICHAEL JACKSON IS ONE OF THE GREATEST TALENTS I HAVE EVER MET.'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awV_On2LnZ8

At 3:05

Quincy thinks because he is old he can talk out of his ass an get away with it.
So wrong! First he bitched about his skin-than children and now this-he is totally out of control the old man.

Did he really say that???. Anyone knows when?.

He thinks he was a child abuser then???.

Pictures of blonde boys?. I wonder what he meant by "boys". Does that necessarily refer to kids?.

yes he did say Michael had pictures of blonde kids on his walls, and MJ did have a picture of M. Culkin in his room, but I don't think he insinuated he was a pedophile I think it had to do with his idea that Michael "wanted to be white"

I think Quincy is right

Michael didn't write his greatest hit Thriller + you got to realize there is always a bunch of musicians in the studio , Michael always had producers working for him to create a new sound so Michael didn't have the ability to create a whole instrumental at his own.

lol! Thriller is not Michael's biggest hit! In the top two music buying countries of the world (except maybe Japan) for the UK it's Earth Song and in the US I'm sure it's either Billie Jean or Black Or White, and he wrote all three.

I find this hard to believe. Michael never had more surgery to look like Peter Pan for Steven Speilberg's film, as the only thing that changed in Michael's appearence from Bad to Dangerous was that he's skin got much lighter due to vitiligo.

Michael was upset that Steven Speilberg made Peter Pan without him, but Michael didn't stop speaking to him. Infact in the late 1990's Michael said that Steven Speilberg told him that he made a mistake by not casting him in the film. Also Steven Speilberg is photographed with Michael in a trailer on the set of the short film Ghosts in 1996 a few years after the Peter Pan film.

Quincy Jones is a hypocrite questioning if Michael is the biological father of his 3 children. Because some could say if his daughter Rashida Jones is his biological daughter as her phenotype is exactly like Michael's oldest son Prince, from light olive skin complextion to straight brown hair and facial features.

Quicny has no right saying Michael doesn't want to be black, that's hypcritical. Because having children with multiple white women (on average Quincy has 2 children to each white wife or girlfriend) is the nearest thing a black man can do to become white, by diluting the black gene and making it weaker. That's more like wiping out black ancestry than cosmetic surgery. I have no problem with Quincy having white wifes and girlfriends because I'm mixed race/bi-racial myself, so I like his taste in women. But it is strange that he accuses Michael of not wanting to be black, when Quincy has also had black girlfriends but never had any children. Doesn't Quincy like the look of black people, and prefer's his children to be lighter. Because genetically he's effectively done with his family what Michael did to his appearance which is why Quincy is a hypocrite.

If it wasn't for Michael no one would have heard of Quincy Jones, and him saying that Michael wasn't that talented is like The Beatles producer George Martin saying that John Lennon and Paul McCartney weren't talented. That's just stupid and hateful of Quincy. Quincy should also remember that even though he brought songs and songwriters to Off The Wall and Thriller, it was Michael's self-written and composed songs that made those albums. Michael didn't write Rock With You, but he slowed the tempo of the song down and made it the smooth classic it is, as Rod Temperton wrote it as an uptempo song. Also it's said Michael and Quincy argued during the recording of Bad over songs, such as Quincy not wanting Smooth Criminal on the album, one of Michael's most innovative and classic songs.

Like Mark Lester, I really liked Quincy Jones now I'm really disapointed by how nasty they actually are under the "nice person" act.

I agree, except about Mark Lester. He hasn't said anything bad about Michael. I think just made a mistake.

There was some people on this thread that had given more credit to Quincy for Michael's musicality, songwriting, arranging, producing and all that studio stuff for his albums.

Go to this thread:

http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76467

Thanks Staffordsire Bullterrier! :)

There is a link to another discussion board for sound engineers, musicians, songwriters, etc. There is a thread on there where people that have worked with Michael have been sharing their stories.

I've known about this thread all summer and it is seriously filled with gems!

Here is one account of Michael's TALENT in the studio:

Some random memories:

One morning MJ came in with a new song he had written overnight. We called in a guitar player, and Michael sang every note of every chord to him. "here's the first chord first note, second note, third note. Here's the second chord first note, second note, third note", etc., etc. We then witnessed him giving the most heartfelt and profound vocal performance, live in the control room through an SM57.

He would sing us an entire string arrangement, every part. Steve Porcaro once told me he witnessed MJ doing that with the string section in the room. Had it all in his head, harmony and everything. Not just little eight bar loop ideas. he would actually sing the entire arrangement into a micro-cassette recorder complete with stops and fills.

At one point Michael was angry at one of the producers on the project because he was treating everyone terribly. Rather than create a scene or fire the guy, Michael called him to his office/lounge and one of the security guys threw a pie in his face. No further action was needed . . . . .

During the recording of "Smile" on HIStory, Bruce thought it would be great if Michael would sing live with the orchestra. But of course, we didn't tell the players that. We set him up in a vocal booth off to the side. They rehearsed a bit without vocals in, then during the first take Michael sang, just about knocked them out of their chairs.

His beatboxing was without parallel, and his time was ridiculous.

His sense of harmony was incredible. Never a bad note, no tuning, even his breathing was perfectly in time.

Once, while we were taking a break, I think we were actually watching the OJ chase on TV, there was a news program talking about him being in Europe with some little boy. I was sitting next to the guy while the news is making this crap up. He just looked at me and said this is what I have to deal with.

I spent close to 3 years working with him, and not once did I question his morals, or ever believe any of the allegations. I wasn't even a fan then. I saw him interact with his brothers kids, other people's children, and at one point my own girlfriend's kids. I got to spend a day at Neverland with them. A completely incredible human being, always looking for a way to make all children's lives better. Every weekend at Neverland was donated to a different children's group - children with AIDS, children cancer, etc., and most of the time he wasn't there.

He was simply living the childhood he never had. In many ways he never grew up.

I was assisting Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis while they recorded the background vocals for "Scream" with MJ and Janet. The two of them singing together was amazing. Super tight, no bad notes. One part after another. When they took a break they sang the showtunes they used to sing as kids. Again, perfect harmony. Mj refused to sing the "stop f*ckin' with me part" because he would NOT curse.

I was the tape op for the recording of the background vocals on "Stranger in Moscow". Scared the hell out me. Michael was dropping in and out on syllables, rearranging the notes and timing as he put it down. No Pro Tools at the time, just 2" tape, and my punches.

I erased a live keyboard overdub that he played one night. He came in the next morning, replaced it, and never uttered another word about it.

I was there when Lisa Marie was around. They acted like two kids in love. Held hands all the time, and she hung out at the studio for quite a while. I never questioned their love for each other.

We recorded a Christmas song during the summer of '94 that needed a children's choir. Michael insisted that the entire studio be decorated with xmas lights, tree, fake snow and a sled for their recording. And he bought presents for everyone.

The last weekend of recording on HIStory he came to me and Eddie Delena, and said "I'm sorry, but I don't think any of us are going to sleep this weekend. There's a lot to get done, and we have to go to Bernie on Monday morning". He stayed at the studio the entire time, singing, and mixing. I got to spend a couple quiet moments with him during that time. We talked about John Lennon one night as he was gearing up to sing the last vocal of the record - the huge ad libs at the end of "earth song". I told him the story of John singing "twist and shout" while being sick, and though most people think he was screaming for effect, it was actually his voice giving out. He loved it, and then went in to sing his heart out. . . .

Later that night, while mixing, everyone left the room so MJ could turn it up. This was a common occurrence during the mixes, and I was left in the room with ear plugs, and hands over my ears, in case he needed something. This particular night, all the lights were out and we noticed some blue flashes intermittently lighting up the room during playback. After a few moments we could see that one of the speakers (custom quad augspuergers) was shooting blue flames. Mj liked this and proceeded to push all the faders up . . . .

MJ liked hot water while he was singing. I mean really hot !!!!! It got to the point that I would melt plastic spoons to test it.

Bruce and I were talking about walking to the studio everyday in NYC, and what routes we took. Michael looked at us and said we were so lucky to be able to do that. He couldn't walk down the street without being harassed. It was a sad moment for all of us.

The studio crew got free tickets to the Janet show so we all went right from work one night. About halfway through the show we see this dude with a long beard, dressed in robes dancing in the aisle behind. I mean really dancing . . . it was Mj in disguise. Kind of like the costume Chevy Chase wears in Fletch while roller skating.

He got one of the first playstations from sony in his lounge . . . we snuck in late at night to play the games that hadn't been released yet.

A couple people on the session hadn't seen Jurassic Park while it was out, so MJ arranged a private screening for us at Sony.

He was a huge fan of Nine Inch Nails Downward Spiral . . . .

I was lucky enough over the course of 3 years to have access to the multitrack masters for tour prep, videos, and archive purposes. To be able to pull these tracks apart was a huge lesson in production, and songwriting. A chance to look into the minds of geniuses.

Of all the records I've worked on, MJJ was the only company to give platinum award records.

One day we just all sat in the studio listening to his catalog with him for inspiration. He loved the process, he loved the work.

Thanks elmari!
I love these kind of stories
gi3.gif

There was some people on this thread that had given more credit to Quincy for Michael's musicality, songwriting, arranging, producing and all that studio stuff for his albums.

Go to this thread:

http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76467

Thanks Staffordsire Bullterrier! :)

There is a link to another discussion board for sound engineers, musicians, songwriters, etc. There is a thread on there where people that have worked with Michael have been sharing their stories.

I've known about this thread all summer and it is seriously filled with gems!

Here is one account of Michael's TALENT in the studio:

We should send these stories to Quincy!!!!

Don't you think maybe Michael didn't want to work with Quincy because he knew he didn't believe he had vitiligo and was upset?.

Quincy.....? Gosh! Grow up Man! You're too old to be sour graping still.....Poor old man.......MJ was the main author and producer of that Thriller album....Quincy himself didn't believe that it will surpass OFF the Wall.....Mj was even hurt of that and almost didn't want to release the thriller album......imagine your own producer didn't have that much confidence in the album that they were making.......

MJ was smart enough to know Quincy's intentions........after MJ left him....what happend to Quincy? Did he make another hits?

Shame on him to say...that MJ doesn't have that much talent.....Check the numbers dude!

Quincy.....? Gosh! Grow up Man! You're too old to be sour graping still.....Poor old man.......MJ was the main author and producer of that Thriller album....Quincy himself didn't believe that it will surpass OFF the Wall.....Mj was even hurt of that and almost didn't want to release the thriller album......imagine your own producer didn't have that much confidence in the album that they were making.......

MJ was smart enough to know Quincy's intentions........after MJ left him....what happend to Quincy? Did he make another hits?

Shame on him to say...that MJ doesn't have that much talent.....Check the numbers dude!

Good post !!!!!!

But Quincy won´t hear you on this board preach it directly to him via twitter, myspace etc.

Don't you think maybe Michael didn't want to work with Quincy because he knew he didn't believe he had vitiligo and was upset?.

Maybe because of that. And maybe because this kind of "disco" thing was over. Particularly "Off the Wall" is waaay to disco for me except for some songs. That's not an attack on Michael, I just love his later stuff very much.
I am really getting into his stuff somewhere between "Bad" and "Dangerous".

There's a reason "Dangerous" was not produced with Jones. Most artists will mature and move on- I somehow think that even "Bad" was already going over Jones' head with it's ideas, concepts.
Maybe Michael even felt held back by Jones in terms of developing as an artist, who knows.

wow..i sincerely hope this isn't true, because, whether or not it is true..Quincy has been around a lot longer than Michael..but Michael MADE Quincy. it's just the truth. the world didn't know Q until they knew M. all those other talents still kept Q's name in the dark. so apparently, the greatest talent is M. Michael. this would invalidate anything else Quincy ever said..including mtv and Michael riding each other. anyway..that's a statement i never believed. mtv rode and still rides Michael. they'd be off the air for years, and we wouldn't know who they are, if it weren't for Michael. people are still making dance vids or no vids at all, practically, based on MJ's style. not mtv's or Quincy's. Quincy being envious makes you wonder how many more people are envious and hiding it.

Without a doubt.

From what I remember, there was a falling out between Quincy Jones and Michael when Quincy recorded his Back on The Block album, when Michael backed out from singing on it.

I think Quincy needs to take a step back & relax on Micahel. I'm getting real tired of his BS.

Quincy is ungrateful - he made all his main money off the royalties he made off of MJ.

Quincy never would've launched Qwest Productions (Fresh Prince of Bel AIr) or launched Vibe Magazine without MJ.

Quincy's just bitter because every time he's asked for an interview or a speaking engagement, all people want to know about is MJ.

Maybe because of that. And maybe because this kind of "disco" thing was over. Particularly "Off the Wall" is waaay to disco for me except for some songs. That's not an attack on Michael, I just love his later stuff very much.

There's a reason "Dangerous" was not produced with Jones. Most artists will mature and move on- I somehow think that even "Bad" was already going over Jones' head with it's ideas, concepts.
Maybe Michael even felt held back by Jones in terms of developing as an artist, who knows.

Without Mihael ther would not of been a Billie Jean or moonwalk. So Quincy better be thankful. Bitter words does spew out when one becomes frustrsted or feels dejected. That was how Quincy felt when Michael made Bad. But I think in hindsight Quincy knows that is was Michael who made the Thriller Album the best selling album of all times.

:bugeyed:bugeyed:bugeyed:bugeyed:bugeyed:bugeyed *pretends I didn't hear that*
I don't think OTW sounds disco!!!

anyway- I am beyond disappointed in Q if this is true...:no:

Last edited:
It's posted in one of the Prince threads here. During an interview, the person who was interviewing Prince told him that he was going to say some words to Prince and he wanted Prince to say the first thing that popped in his head.

So the guy goes 'Michael Jackson' and Prince supposedly says 'Musical genius'.

The I guess later on the interviewer says 'Janet Jackson' and Prince says 'The genius's sister'.

:)

This is off topic, but I think there is something more to Prince and Michael Jackson than just a 'rivalry' created by the press. I've picked up little tidbits (not necessarily gossip) here and there that point to the fact that they could have actually been friends on the DL, LOL! I've compiled them. If anyone wants to read my little tidbits, I can bump a a Prince thread and post them there.

Janet -- the genius' sister. oh no, oh my!

poor li'l Janet! :p

please post! I'd love to read it. I've loved both Prince and Michael for a long time.

And that tells you what?? That tells me that Spielberg who has THE POWER in Hollywood cared shit about Mike. Spielberg could ´ve said no and rewrote the script that it would fit Michael Jackson but he didn´t. Michael was very very hurt when he heard that he wouldn´t get the part. It was his dream to do movies and it was his dream to play the part of Peter Pan. Spielberg destroyed his dreams and therefore Michael never spoke one word with Spielberg again.
The only good thing was that in the end the movie with Williams was a big flop for Spielberg it was a megaflop!!!
With Michael the film would´ve been a huge success. So Spielberg got a little payback from the audience.

true, true. I thought it was horrible. Julia Roberts was horrific as well.

I am still waiting for Quincy to claim he tought MJ how to sing and dance and that he was the one performing on the Bad Tour with a wig.

The **** wont be happy until his fugly ass is on the cover of thriller wearing the white suite with the fucking baby tiger on his lap

yay now i feel much better. i dont understand how people keep saying we shouldnt curse. its so theurapatic

god I love ya Arty!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Back