Ray Chandler scared to death to testify in 2005

Please read.
While detractors claim that there is no proof that Michael Jackson’s insurance company paid the Chandler settlement, evidence by virtue of an attorney memorandum was submitted to the Court on March 22, 2005. Michael Jackson’s defense attorneys filed legal papers seeking to preclude evidence of the 1993 settlement amount specifically because Michael did not have control over the settlement. The memorandum of law submitted by Tom Mesereau in 2005 stated:

"The plaintiff seeks to introduce evidence of the civil settlement of the 1993 lawsuit through the testimony of Larry Feldman, attorney for the current complaining family and attorney for the plaintiff in the 1993 matter. The settlement agreement was for global claims of negligence and the lawsuit was defended by Mr. Jackson’s insurance carrier. The insurance carrier negotiated and paid the settlement, over the protests of Mr. Jackson and his personal legal counsel."

It would be unethical for an attorney to make false statements to the Court; and in such a highly publicized case, it would be professional suicide.

When the word "negligence" appears in the lawsuit that's when his insurance company took part in the case. It was a jake mate against MJ.

While most of the claims filed against Michael were intentional in nature, intentional claims such as battery, willful misconduct fraud, etc. would not have been covered under an insurance policy. The inclusion of a “negligence” claim guaranteed that Michael’s insurance company would have been involved to fund a settlement.

insurance companies are in the business of making money, settling for less than defense costs is in their best interests.

In doing a quick mathematical calculation, we can estimate that in 1993, assuming six attorneys at eight hours a day, it would have cost the insurer over ten million dollars to defend Michael for 365 days. (The 2005 investigation and trial lasted 572 days). In 1993, there was a pending civil suit and a counterclaim where Jackson claimed extortion by the Chandlers. Civil suits can drag on for years. A conservative estimate would be 3-5 years. In addition, it was anticipated that a criminal proceeding would also soon be commenced. Given the diversity of the cases, two legal teams would have been necessary. No insurance company is going to pay twenty million dollars ($20,000,000) annually for defense when it can settle and be done. Keep in mind that this estimate does not include investigators, paralegals or other litigation costs.

Last edited:
MJ didnt setted. It wasn't his idea.
that is a lie. read the settlement and the part where MJ signs the statement "I Michael Jackson agree to settle." On page 22 MJ even signed the agreement. the insurance company wasn't even a party to it. They had no say in the matter.

You are being dishonest.

Ever since the initial leak of the settlement documents in 2004, speculation has spread that it was in fact one or more insurance carriers that ultimately negotiated and paid for the settlement, not Michael Jackson himself. In a 2005 legal document filed in court by Michael Jackson's defense, this theory grew feet.

When Diane Dimond initially leaked the settlement documents in the summer of 2004, mysteriously enough the only eight pages missing from it were the pages that specifically described the payment agreements and conditions. In place of these pages, Diane Dimond (or the editor of the posted documents) wrote:
[Editor's note: The terms of the settlement payment was not disclosed. Please note this section and the next eight redacted pages pertaining to the settlement payment were subsequently omitted for the reader's convenience.]

However, in the written report included alongside the actual settlement agreement documents as published on CourtTV.com, Diane Dimond stated that "It is unknown whether Jackson paid the settlement from his own pocket or if it was funded by his insurance company." In addition, on a Web chat conducted by Diane Dimond on June 16, 2004, the following questions and answers were given which seemed to strengthen the possibility of insurance involvement:
Question from jenni: Diane, do you know if the insurance paid the whole amount of the settlement?

Diane Dimond: No, there's no way to tell. But I'm told that maybe more than one insurance company was involved.

Question from Angel: Did the insurance company do an investigation of their own before they agreed to pay?

Diane Dimond: I have no way of knowing that, and I don't know which insurance company was involved. I wish I did.

Question from Incognito: Did you say that an insurance company paid the money? What kind of insurance would that be?

Diane Dimond: Note that Jackson agreed to pay on the allegation of negligence. Check out your homeowner's policy. If you negligently leave out a banana peel that someone trips and falls over, your insurance company will pay out for your negligence. They will not, however, pay out if you committed a crime. That's probably why he agreed only to the negligence claim. So his insurance company would have to kick in.

Little more was said about the insurance settlement theory until the trial of 2005. On March 22, 2005, a motion was filed in court on behalf of Michael Jackson titled: "Mr. Jackson’s Memorandum in Support of Objection to Subpoena to Larry Feldman for Settlement Documents." This legal motion was released to the public on April 18, 2005. Within said court document, numerous statements were made that an insurance carrier had negotiated and settled the 1993 civil case. The relevant section from the document is transcribed below:
C. The 1993 Civil Settlement was Made by Mr. Jackson's Insurance Company and was Not Within Mr. Jackson's Control.

The plaintiff seeks to introduce evidence of the civil settlement of the 1993 lawsuit through the testimony of Larry Feldman, attorney for the current complaining family and attorney for the plaintiff in the 1993 matter. The settlement agreement was for global claims of negligence and the lawsuit was defended by Mr. Jackson's insurance carrier. The insurance carrier negotiated and paid the settlement, over the protests of Mr. Jackson and his personal legal counsel.

It is general practice for an insurer to be entitled to control settlement negotiations and the insured is precluded from any interference. Shapero v. Allstate Ins. Co., 114 Cal. App.3d 433, 438 (1971); Ivy v. Pacific Automobile Ins. Co., 156 Cal. App.2d 652, 660 (1958)(the insured is precluded from interfering with settlement procedures). Under the majority of contracts for liability insurance, the absolute control of the defense of the matter is turned over to the insurance company and the insured is excluded from any interference in any negotiation for settlement or other legal proceedings (emphasis added). Merritt v. Reserve Ins. Co., 34 Cal. App.3d 858, 870 (1973). An insurance carrier has the right to settle claims covered by insurance when it decides settlement is expedient and the insured may not interfere with nor prevent such settlements. 44 Am. Jur. 2d, Insurance, sec. 1392, at 326-27 (rev. ed 2002)

In Brown v. Guarantee Ins. Co., 155 Cal. App. 2d 679, 685 (1957), the court stated:

"It is generally understood that these are rights and privileges which it is necessary for the insurer to have in order to justify or enable it to assume obligations which it does in the contract of insurance. So long as recovery does not exceed the limits of the insurance, the question of whether the claim be compromised or settled, or the matter in which it shall be defended, is a matter of no concern to the insured."

The insurer's right to control the defense of any action against the insured includes the right to negotiate settlement, and to otherwise conduct defense of the action. The consent of the insured is usually superfluous. "Liability policies usually specifically prohibit the insured from settling or negotiating for a settlement or interfering in any manner with the defense except upon request of the insurer unless the insurer is in breach of contract. By accepting a liability insurance policy, the insured is bound by these terms." (Croskey, et. al, Cal. Practice Guide: Insurance Litigation 3, supra, section 12:207, p. 12B-2.) "For this reason, it is common practice for insurance counsel and an adjuster to handle the negotiation of insurance funded settlements with out the superfluous involvement of a fully protected insured." Fiege v. Cooke, __ Cal. App. 4th __ (2004).

It is unfair for an insurance company's settlement to be now held against Mr. Jackson or for the Settlement Agreement to be admitted as evidence of Mr. Jackson's prior conduct or guilt. Mr. Jackson could not control nor interfere with his insurance carrier's demand to settle the dispute. No admission against interest nor acknowledgment of criminality can be inferred regarding Mr. Jackson from the act of the insurance carrier in the settling the litigation.

It is worth mentioning that full details about the settlement negotiation and payment method(s) have not yet been disclosed to the public. Over the years, various other reasons and explanations have been given by Michael Jackson and his attorneys as to why the settlement was made, in addition to the insurance claim above. Several of these other explanations can be found in the following section. Sources close to the Chandler family, including Ray Chandler, told the press back in 1998 that the settlement was actually being paid out over a period of 40 years, and that payments first began in August-September of 1998 (there is no confirmation of this theory).

Since the 1993 settlement, Michael Jackson has spoken very little about the conditions set forth within the agreement due in part to the confidentiality of said agreement. However, he and his attorneys have spoken numerous times, in general terms, about the motives behind the civil settlement.

While many people ask why an innocent many would settle a civil case as such, few ask why an alleged victim and his family would push for a civil settlement with a high profile attorney and then refuse to testify criminally against said abuser in a court of law. As Katherine Jackson asked, "If you think about it yourself, and Michael molested your son, would you ask for money? Would you?"

The general reasons that Michael and at least one of his attorneys has given as to why the civil case was settled in 1993, was that he just wanted to put the nightmare behind him. At the time, his attorneys advised him that the proceedings could drag on for seven years and that there was no guaranteed outcome in the court of law. This reason, combined with the fact that Michael Jackson was on tour and bringing in huge amounts of money at the time (enough to make any personal or insured settlement amount look small in comparison), is why Michael Jackson has stated he agreed to settle the civil portion of the case. Quotes from various interviews are below.

On the Primetime Live interview with Diane sawyer (which aired in the United States on June 14, 1995), Diane Sawyer asked Michael Jackson about the 1993 civil settlement. The conversation went as follows:
Primetime Live With Diane Sawyer
June 14, 1995

Sawyer: Why did you settle the case, then? Why did you settle the case? And, it looks to everyone as if you paid a huge amount of money, to get silence.

Jackson: Well, most of that's folklore. I talked to my lawyers, and I said, "Can you guarantee me that justice will prevail?" And they said, "Michael, we cannot guarantee you that a judge, or a jury will do anything. And with that, I was like catatonic. I was outraged. Totally outraged! So what I said, "I have got to do something to get out from under this nightmare." All these lies, and all of these people coming forward to get paid. And these tabloid shows. Just lies. Lies, lies, lies! So, what I did--we got together again with my advisers, and they advised me; it was hands-down a unanymous decision, "Resolve the [civil] case. This could be something that could go on for seven years!" He said, "Let's get it behind us." Get it--

Sawyer: Can you say how much?

Jackson: It's not what the tabloids have printed. It's not all of this crazy, outlandish-- no, it's not at all. The terms of the agreement are very confidential... The idea, it just isn't fair what they put me through. Because there wasn't one piece of information that said I did that in any way. They turned my room upside down, went through all my books, all my video tapes, all my private things, and they found nothing. Nothing, nothing that could say, "Michael Jackson did this." Nothing! To this day, nothing. Still, nothing. Nothing, nothing, nothing.

On the Martin Bashir documentary, Living With Michael Jackson (which aired in the United States on February 6, 2003), Michael Jackson was questioned about the 1993 financial settlement. While much of the questions entered areas of confidentiality, the televised conversation went as follows:
Living With Michael Jackson
February 6, 2003

Bashir: The reason that's been given, for why you didn't go to jail, was because you reached a financial settlement with the family.

Jackson: Yeah, yeah. I don't want to do a long, drawn out thing on T.V. like O.J., and all that stupid stuff. And, it wouldn't, it wouldn't look right. I just said, "Look, get this over with. I want to go on with my life. This is ridiculous. I've had enough. Go!"

Bashir: I questioned him much further. But the confidentiality agreement he signed means we cannot show that part of the interview. My questions had upset him deeply.

In a press release dated June 17, 2004, Michael Jackson expressed his disgust with the stream of prosecution-sided leaks that were pouring out in the media without consequences. In the statement, Michael expressed regrets of the prior civil settlement(s).
Statement of Michael Jackson Regarding 1993 Proceedings, Gag Order
June 17, 2004

I respect the obligation of confidentiality imposed on all of the parties to the 1993 proceedings. Yet, someone has chosen to violate the confidentiality of those proceedings. Whoever is now leaking this material is showing as much disrespect for the Santa Maria Court's "gag order" as they are a determination to attack me.

No action or investigation has been taken to determine who is leaking this information or why they are permitted to violate the law in such a manner. I respectfully request that people see these efforts for what they are.

These kinds of attacks and leaks seek to try the case in the press, rather than to a jury who will hear all of the evidence that will show that I did not, and would not, ever, harm a child. I have always maintained my innocence, and vehemently denied that these events ever took place. I reluctantly chose to settle the false claims only to end the terrible publicity and to continue with my life and career.

I ask all of my neighbors in Santa Maria, the people whom I give my loyal trust and admiration, to keep an open mind, and give me a chance to show that I am completely innocent of these charges. I will not let you down.

In a press statement released to the media on September 3, 2004, Michael Jackson again commented on past civil settlements (relating to the Chandler and Francia family):
Michael Jackson Press Release Regarding Past Settlements
September 03, 2004

It is unfortunate that yet, again, I must respond to untruths and sensationalism.

Years ago, I settled with certain individuals because I was concerned about my family and the media scrutiny that would have ensued if I fought the matter in court.

These people wanted to exploit my concern for children by threatening to destroy what I believe in and what I do. I have been a vulnerable target for those who want money...

In a press conference held by attorney Thomas Mesereau on September 17, 2004, he addressed the passed settlements, why they may have occured, and how much Michael Jackson now regrets making such settlements as it has opened the doors for countless frivilous civil lawsuits by opportunistic individuals. The statement, in part, is transcribed below:
Statement of Attorney Thomas Mesereau; Lead Counsel For Michael Jackson
September 17, 2004

Mr. Jackson has been a target of frivolous lawsuits throughout his career. To date, well over a thousand ridiculous lawsuits have been filed or threatened against Mr. Jackson for all kinds of reasons by those who sought to obtain money by exploiting his achievements and love for people. None of these claims involved allegations that he ever harmed a child. However, they involved, for the most part, creative and outrageous attempts to take money from Mr. Jackson. Throughout his career, Mr. Jackson's desire to create and help our world has been subjected to efforts to exploit, undermine and take advantage of this wonderful human being.

Mr. Jackson has been repeatedly advised by those who stood to make fortunes in his business affairs to pay money, rather than face certain false allegations. As a result, many years ago, he did pay money, rather than litigate, two false allegations that he had harmed children. People who intended to earn millions of dollars from his record and music promotions did not want negative publicity from these lawsuits interfering with their profits. These two false allegations must be placed in a proper perspective. Mr. Jackson has interacted with millions of children. Many millions of children around the world love Michael Jackson and never alleged that he harmed them in any way.

Those who wanted to profit from his good deeds and vulnerabilities were also threatening to destroy his ability to raise his own children and to champion the welfare, integrity, humanity and interests of children around the world. Michael Jackson occupies a world where his privacy is continually violated.

Michael Jackson now regrets making these payments. Nevertheless, these efforts to settle are now being used against him regardless of the merits or the truth behind them. These settlements were entered into with one primary condition. That condition was that Mr. Jackson never admitted any wrongdoing. Mr. Jackson always denied doing anything wrong. Mr. Jackson had hoped to buy peace in the process. He was advised that while these sums of money appeared large, they were actually very small compared to money he could make in music. Mr. Jackson has earned well over one billion dollars in his career. Placed in this perspective, they were very small sums, indeed.

Greed begets greed. Mr. Jackson now realizes that the advice he received was wrong. He should have fought these actions to the bitter end and vindicated himself. The recent publicity about these settlements is unfair and damaging to him, his family and his dedication to the world's children. The false charges he is facing will be battled in a court of law within our justice system. He is innocent and will be vindicated.

Last edited:
al4376.jpg

289wwh1.jpg

When Diane Dimond initially leaked the settlement documents in the summer of 2004, mysteriously enough the only eight pages missing from it were the pages that specifically described the payment agreements and conditions. In place of these pages, Diane Dimond (or the editor of the posted documents) wrote:
[Editor's note: The terms of the settlement payment was not disclosed. Please note this section and the next eight redacted pages pertaining to the settlement payment were subsequently omitted for the reader's convenience.]

However, in the written report included alongside the actual settlement agreement documents as published on CourtTV.com, Diane Dimond stated that "It is unknown whether Jackson paid the settlement from his own pocket or if it was funded by his insurance company."

thanks Moonwalker.Fan :clapping:

it's true, we can only read 22 pages of 30.
and, can we take for granted what Diane Dimond gave us? Hello! this is Diane Dimond.

I understand that Messerau, however you spell his name, had to defend MJ any and every way he could. I don't blame him for that. I don't blame him for trying to paint a picture that MJ didn't want to settle. But it's in the settlement. MJ agreed to it, and he has acknowledged on more than one ocasion that it was his decision. He has defended it by saying that he wanted to move on with his life.

Nobody can force MJ to sign a statement saying he agrees to settle. I know you guys feel like you want to defend MJ's honor, but you should do it based on facts. The settlement is there for everybody to see who agreed to what. MJ decided to settle a civil lawsuit and move on with his life. That's what happened. And since the settlement is there for you all to see, you can't sincerely claim to believe that Mj didn't settle. It's dishonest at this point in the game.

Even MJ admitted he chose to settle on three ocasions. In the press conference where Cochran stated on MJ's behalf, that MJ wanted to move on with his life and close that chapter. Then again in the Diane Sawyer interview he stated it himself. And then again in the Bashir documentary MJ explained that he TOLD HIS PEOPLE, JUST MAKE IT GO AWAY, GIVE EM WHAT THEY WANT, SETTLE!"

Who am I supposed to believe? Michael Jackson or you guys?

thanks Moonwalker.Fan :clapping:

it's true, we can only read 22 pages of 30.
and, can we take for granted what Diane Dimond gave us? Hello! this is Diane Dimond.

She didn't write, negotiate, or sign the contract. Even if MJ had given it to us, the words and signatures in the contract would be exactly the same as they are.

I understand that Messerau, however you spell his name, had to defend MJ any and every way he could. I don't blame him for that. I don't blame him for trying to paint a picture that MJ didn't want to settle. But it's in the settlement. MJ agreed to it, and he has acknowledged on more than one ocasion that it was his decision. He has defended it by saying that he wanted to move on with his life.

Nobody can force MJ to sign a statement saying he agrees to settle. I know you guys feel like you want to defend MJ's honor, but you should do it based on facts. The settlement is there for everybody to see who agreed to what. MJ decided to settle a civil lawsuit and move on with his life. That's what happened. And since the settlement is there for you all to see, you can't sincerely claim to believe that Mj didn't settle. It's dishonest at this point in the game.

Even MJ admitted he chose to settle on three ocasions. In the press conference where Cochran stated on MJ's behalf, that MJ wanted to move on with his life and close that chapter. Then again in the Diane Sawyer interview he stated it himself. And then again in the Bashir documentary MJ explained that he TOLD HIS PEOPLE, JUST MAKE IT GO AWAY, GIVE EM WHAT THEY WANT, SETTLE!"

Why can't it be the case that although he did settle it was because of the undue pressure he was facing from several different fronts? This is what the fans are saying.

Yes, he ultimately signed the documents, but you can't factor out the influence the insurance companies, lawyers, etc had in his making that decision. It is not disingenuous to use the practices of the insurance policies, etc in defending Michael.

Yes, he settled but to deny these other influences and to attribute complete autonomy unto Michael in the decision making process is an inaccurate portrayal of the events. He settled. He holds the ultimate responsibility for the decision, but there are also silent factors that many other fans have addressed.

Of course MJ signed that and nobody put a gun in his head to do so. I know that.

MJ defended his action in singing the settle, of course he going to defend that action.

but Thom Mesereau said he did it under protest and i still can't read the 8 pages left. I'm willing to change my mind if you show me.

You are saying that Thomas Mesereau deliberately lied when he wrote that?
Thom Mesereau is liar then.

Plus Thom spoke about MJ's Insurance Carrier, i believe that if this isn't true, the Company can sue you, especially here in America where they can sue you for breathing too loud.

Last edited:
Tom Mesereau said if he had been the attorney then he wouldn't have allowed Michael to settle the case. They would have fought it. The insurance did pay the money, but due to the counsel he had at the time, he went with the settlement. The trial would have been bad, especially with the media. Evan would have done his acting job as a concerned father, which we could see then and now that he wasn't that concerned as a father considering the book that was published by Ray Chandler then and how Evan attacked his son later. But it may have not helped Michael then. Mesereau may have been able to win for him had he been his attorney in spite of everything, but the lawyers he had then were not good enough. The media neglect to tell people the settlement did not prevent the Chandler's from testifying in a criminal trial. I think the general public did not trust Johnnie Cochran. He didn't seem to defend Michael very well. The media were like a mad mob out for blood.

Last edited:
Oh boo freaking hoo! There is always someone complaining! I knew someone would say MJ settled and that's that! But, it wasn't that simple! He signed at the end and the insurance payed out the settlement for negligence only and handled the negotiations of the settlement without his control! Is that so hard to understand!? Does that make him guilty? HELL NO!!

The Chandlers were the ones suing MJ for negligence along with molestation B.S with a civil lawsuit that would have required a trial of it's own!!

But, MJ wasn't gonna pay them crap if they where accusing him of molestation and was fighting that!

So they dropped the other B.S claims and left Negligence only! Knowing that a insurance company can step in because that's what they do! They don't settle crimes! So that's what MJ signed to okay!

The insurance company paid the chandlers! I already explained that MJ was trying to stop the civil lawsuit before the criminal trial because he didn't want double jeopardy! So that's why he agreed to the out of court settlement at the end! Which didn't stop the criminal trial from going ahead by the way! But, the chandlers went and took the money and ran! Surprise, Surprise! NOT! Is that so hard to understand?!

Last edited:
FYI If you look on page 8 of thesmokinggun.com document of the 94 Settlement of the 93 allegations. You will find the words "Qualified Funding Asset Premiums!" This is the language used to describe an insurance settlement. So it's even in there too! Not in just the docs T-Mez showed judge Melville in the 05 trial!

Check out the definition of what Qualified Funding Asset Premiums means at this site: http://www.structuredpayments.org/taxonomy/term/35

"Tom Mesereau said he did it under protest!"

Definition: Under Protest- The making of a payment or the doing of an act under an obligation while reserving the right to object to the obligation at a later date.

Check out the definition of what Qualified Funding Asset Premiums means at this site: http://www.structuredpayments.org/taxonomy/term/35

"Tom Mesereau said he did it under protest!"

Definition: Under Protest- The making of a payment or the doing of an act under an obligation while reserving the right to object to the obligation at a later date.

thanks a lot for this info bluetopez.

Oh boo freaking hoo! There is always someone complaining! I knew someone would say MJ settled and that's that! But, it wasn't that simple! He signed at the end and the insurance payed out the settlement for negligence only and handled the negotiations of the settlement without his control! Is that so hard to understand!? Does that make him guilty? HELL NO!!

The Chandlers where the ones suing MJ for negligence along with molestation B.S with a civil lawsuit that would have required a trial of it's own!!

But, MJ wasn't gonna pay them crap if they where accusing him of molestation and was fighting that!

So they dropped the other B.S claims and left Negligence only! Knowing that a insurance company can step in because that's what they do! They don't settle crimes! So that's what MJ signed to okay!

The insurance company paid the chandlers! I already explained that MJ was trying to stop the civil lawsuit before the criminal trial because he didn't want double jeopardy! So that's why he agreed to the out of court settlement at the end! Which didn't stop the criminal trial from going ahead by the way! But, the chandlers went and took the money and ran! Surprise, Surprise! NOT! Is that so hard to understand?!
Like I mentioned before in another thread: When it comes to Michael Jackson, even the most so-called intelligent person can display the IQ of a cotton ball.

The question I have is why a judge would even decide to allow a civil suit to proceed before a criminal indictment is handed down and before Michael knew whether he was even going to be charged with criminal wrong doing. It is half-ass backward. All of Michael's civil trial testimony could have been used against him had there been a criminal trial. The thing that ticks me off is that it all got thrown back in his face at every turn, knowing he signed a confidentiality agreement and couldn't speak in detail of it, but those who interviewed him brought it up every single time and they knew he couldn't say.

Last edited:
Actually I posted the settlement contracts that showed it was MJ settling and not the insurance company. MJ signed and agreed to settle. The insurance company wasn't even a party in the contract. The mods merged the thread so people wouldn't be able to find and read them as easily.

Read this please on why the insurance company is not mentioned in such settlements: http://vindicatemj.wordpress.com/2010/04/07/proud-to-be-on-michael’s-side-and-the-insurance-company/

that is a lie. read the settlement and the part where MJ signs the statement "I Michael Jackson agree to settle." On page 22 MJ even signed the agreement. the insurance company wasn't even a party to it. They had no say in the matter.

You are being dishonest.

Of course, his signature would appear on the document. But that doesn't mean his hands weren't tied by his insurance company and other business partners. From the above article:

"Saw many a physician objecting to settlement too, but the insurance company said: “If this goes to trial and you lose, WE may have to pay a lot more, so we want you to settle now”."

I'm sure he also wanted to move on after it started to ruin his health (painkiller addiction etc.), but the insurance company was a big factor too. It's a fact. Do you think Mesereau would have lied in court about a subject which is easy to check out and go after if it's true or not? If the prosecution had thought he was lying they could have easily challanged him on this claim and ask him to show the insurance documents to prove it. I'm sure Mesereau had all the documents to back up his claim, otherwise he wouldn't have said this.

Last edited:
Exactly! Settlement agreements don’t mention insurance companies by name because the insurance company isn’t a party to the agreement. That's why you see MJ signature at the end! When the case was settled it was filed as settled in court documents as being settled by the defendant (MJ) because he was the one the Chandlers were suing, not his insurance company.

But, as I mentioned in an earlier post their is language to the 94 settlement agreements that shows that an insurance company would be paying because it was filed under negligence!

So MJ just signed the settlement agreement and then turned the matter over to his insurance company to pay them! Where he has no opinion, control or say over the matter in how they will handle it! This is the way it's done legally and they way it would happen to you or I!

Really not that difficult to understand! PEACE!

always same posters trying to downplay,put aside the insurance settlement....

anyway heres one reason i hate the chandlers so much. i was working at a big music event over the weekend.working with 100's of ppl i dont know and some i only work with very rarely.mostly men who joke and have banter etc. and are pretty rough, working class read tabloids and genrally arent very bright! while i was waiting to go to my position of work some were messing about and someone was called a kiddie fiddler. heck knows why. and guess what name they are called . yeap u guessed it michael jackson.i dont now who exactly said it which is a good thing as i wasnt stood near them but like any fan u can hear the words "mj" form 20 miles away. this was the first time id heard someone insult mj since june 25th and it hurt even more than it normally would. just have to get it off my chest as its upset me no end. that is why i wish those chandlers to burn in hell and the same to he press who have brainwashed the idiots in the gen public. dont call him roman polanski or gary glitter but no even over a year after hes gone hes the first name that came into this persons head because of the media and the chandlers. is it to hard to ask for some justice. but no we are living in this hell made to suffer.:cry:

always same posters trying to downplay,put aside the insurance settlement....

anyway heres one reason i hate the chandlers so much. i was working at a big music event over the weekend.working with 100's of ppl i dont know and some i only work with very rarely.mostly men who joke and have banter etc. and are pretty rough, working class read tabloids and genrally arent very bright!:

That sounds like about 90% of the people who live in my town

90% of men in the UK in think lol

Last edited:
yeah white van man.and all this could be changed by that coward chandler doing the right thing....

The question I have is why a judge would even decide to allow a civil suit to proceed before a criminal indictment is handed down and before Michael knew whether he was even going to be charged with criminal wrong doing. It is half-ass backward. All of Michael's civil trial testimony could have been used against him had there been a criminal trial. The thing that ticks me off is that it all got thrown back in his face at every turn, knowing he signed a confidentiality agreement and couldn't speak in detail of it, but those who interviewed him brought it up every single time and they knew he couldn't say.

I would like to know that too.

cause it allows sneddon to sit and hear all of mjs defence and then build a case around it. thats why the defence asked for it to be put on hold as has been said. they tried to get mj by any means possible

1993 Civil Suit Settled by Insurance Co. against Jackson's wishes - Hot Doc

Memo in Support of Objection to Subpoena for Settlement Documents

In released court documents, it turns out that Michael Jackson's insurance company negotiated and settled the 1993 civil suit against his wishes.

The following are excerpts from that released court document:

Pg3
The settlement agreement was for global claims of negligence and the lawsuit was defended by Mr. Jackson's insurance carrier. The insurance carrier negotiated and paid the settlement, over the protests of Mr. Jackson and his personal legal counsel.

It is general practice for an insurer to be entitled to control settlement negotiations and the insured is precluded from any interference.

…Under the majority of contracts for liability insurance, the absolute control of the defense of the matter is turned over to the insurance company and the insured is excluded from any interference in any negotiation for settlement or other legal proceedings (emphasis added).

…An insurance carrier has the right to settle claims covered by insurance when it decides settlement is expedient and the insured may not interfere with nor prevent such settlements.

Pg2
Because insurance companies were the source of the settlement amounts, and the insurance companies make the payments based on their contractual rights to settle the proceeding without Mr. Jackson's permission, the settlement does not constitute an admission and cannot be used to create such an impermissible inference to the jury.

Pg3
The speculative suggestion that Mr. Jackson somehow made an admission when an insurance company required a settlement, and in fact paid for the settlement, creates an impermissible inference to the jury that would deprive Mr. Jackson of due process of law.

This motion filed by T-Mez during the trial should clear that info:
Hightlights: Memo in Support of Objection to Subpoena for Settlement Documents
The following are excerpts from the court document:

Pg3 The settlement agreement was for global claims of negligence and the lawsuit was defended by Mr. Jackson's insurance carrier. The insurance carrier negotiated and paid the settlement, over the protests of Mr. Jackson and his personal legal counsel.

It is general practice for an insurer to be entitled to control settlement negotiations and the insured is precluded from any interference.

…Under the majority of contracts for liability insurance, the absolute control of the defense of the matter is turned over to the insurance company and the insured is excluded from any interference in any negotiation for settlement or other legal proceedings (emphasis added).

…An insurance carrier has the right to settle claims covered by insurance when it decides settlement is expedient and the insured may not interfere with nor prevent such settlements.

Pg2 Because insurance companies were the source of the settlement amounts, and the insurance companies make the payments based on their contractual rights to settle the proceeding without Mr. Jackson's permission, the settlement does not constitute an admission and cannot be used to create such an impermissible inference to the jury.

Pg3 The speculative suggestion that Mr. Jackson somehow made an admission when an insurance company required a settlement, and in fact paid for the settlement, creates an impermissible inference to the jury that would deprive Mr. Jackson of due process of law.

Pg 4 It is unfair for an insurance company's settlement to be now held against Mr. Jackson or for the Settlement Agreement to be admitted as evidence of Mr. Jackson's prior conduct or guilt. Mr. Jackson could not control nor interfere with his insurance carrier's demand to settle the dispute.

Pg9-10 Permitting evidence of settlement agreements or amounts would be speculative because there is no evidence Michael Jackson made the settlement. Settlements in civil suits many times are dictated by insurance companies who settle claims regardless of an individual's wishes.

Although Jordan Chandler was interviewed "thereafter" by detectives seeking evidence to offer in a child molestation prosecution of Michael Jackson, "no criminal charges were filed as a result of that interview."

This interview took place prior to the decision of the United States Supreme Court in Stogner v California, 539 U.S. 607, 613 (2003), holding California's retroactive extension of the statute of limitations to be unconstitutional.

In other words, Jordan Chandler's statements were not sufficient even at that earlier time, to support child molestation charges against Michael Jackson, and to now permit the suggestion of a settlement agreement for some improper act is not only irrelevant, but also a speculative violation of the statute of limitations

After this motion, the judge ruled that the prosecution were not allowed to allude to or include any information or suggested allegation that MJ paid the Chandlers because he didn't the insurance paid over MJ's and his lawyers objections...

Another thing to note... when Evan was filing suit he included "negligence course of distress" knowing full well the insurance would pay for that which would pave way for the Chandlers to avoid the criminal trial. MJ and his team were pushing for the criminal trial, they filed a motion to stop the civil trial, put in on hold to wait for the criminal trial but they were denied that chance.....

Details of the civil case settlement are publicly available now, but statements made in a press conference by lawyers representing the plaintiff and the defendant shed some light.
VERBATUM Transcript from the Michael Jackson/Chandler settlement press conference as taped from satellite on 1-26-94, unedited.
Larry Feldman's statement-Attorney for Plaintiff:
"We wish to jointly announce a mutual resolution of this lawsuit. As you are aware the plaintiff has alleged certain acts of impropriety by Mr. Jackson and from the inception of those allegations Mr. Jackson has always maintained his innocence. However the emotional trauma and strain on the respective parties have caused both parties to reflect on the wisdom of continuing with the litigation. The plaintiff has agreed that the lawsuit should be resolved and it will be dismissed in the near future. Mr. Jackson continues to maintain his innocence and withdraws any previous allegations of extortion. This will allow the parties to get on with their lives in a more positive and productive manner. Much of the suffering these parties have been put through has been caused by the publicity surrounding this case. We jointly request that members of the press allow the parties to close this chapter in their lives with dignity so that the healing process may begin."

Johnnie Cockran's statement-Attorney for Defendant [Michael Jackson]:
"In the past ten days the rumors and speculation surrounding this case have reached a fever pitch and by-and-large have been false and outrageous. As Mr. Feldman has correctly indicated Michael Jackson has maintained his innocence from the beginning of this matter and now, as this matter will soon be concluded, he still maintains that innocence. The resolution of this case is in no way an admission of guilt by Michael Jackson. In short, he is an innocent man who does not intend to have his career and his life destroyed by rumor and innuendo. Throughout this ordeal he has been subjected to an unprecedented media feeding frenzy; especially by the tabloid press. The tabloid press has shown an insatiable thirst for anything negative and have paid huge sums of money to people who have little or no information and who barely knew Michael Jackson. So today the time has come for Michael Jackson to move on to new business, to get on with his life, to start the healing process and to move his career forward to even greater heights. This he intends to do. At the appropriate time Michael Jackson will speak out publicly as to the agony, torture, and pain he has had to suffer during the past six months. Thank you very much. "

Back