Remembering Frank Dileo on 1 year anniversary of death / Frank DiLeo Has Passed Away

Re: Update *Frank DiLeo Has Passed Away Post 377*

^^That was an absolutely beautiful tribute to Michael and Frank together - such a great team and a wonderful friendship. It brought tears to my eyes and warmth in my heart.

I miss them so much.

I have been away for a while but I was so sad to see that Frank passed. My comfort is that Michael isn't alone up there, he has some amazing friends up there now.

I'm sorry to hear this. I've taken my own small break away from the forum. My father passed away right after Mother's Day this year, so I haven't been on the internet as much, but my heart was a bit sad to hear about another young death. May your soul rest in peace Frank. :angel:

Remembering Frank DiLeo, “Uncle Tookie,” A Great Friend and Music Biz Genius

08/23/12 11:22pmRoger Friedman0

Frank DiLeo died a year ago today, August 24th. But really, he died on March 21st, after open heart surgery at Cedars Sinai Hospital left him in a permanent coma. He never woke up. What should have been relatively common surgery turned into a nightmare. Some time during the night after the surgery, Frank had another attack or a stroke. He lost too much oxygen, unattended, and had no way of fighting back.

Frank was a famously colorful figure in the record business. His success with Michael Jackson on “Thriller” and then “Bad” probably inflated him beyond anything normal. I didn’t know him then, I met him later. Nevertheless, he was the architect of those triumphs, and Michael knew it. Over the years as a long line of swindlers and con men worked their way through Neverland, it was always Frank to whom Michael turned. In the winter of 2008, Michael was already calling Frank after many debacles. By the spring, when the London concerts were announced, it was Frank who Michael wanted by his side. If they’d gone to England, Frank was going to be right there.

Sony is about to release the 25th anniversary edition of “Bad,” complete with a Spike Lee documentary. Frank was working on that project when he got sick in February 2011. He knew more about “Bad” then almost anyone except for Bruce Swedien. He used to talk about the outtakes from “Bad” all the time. One song you’ll hear in the boxed set, “Don’t Be Messin’ Around,” was his favorite. I’m just sorry he doesn’t get to see all the hoopla and receive the accolades. And I’m told there are still unresolved issues between him and Sony regarding money. (Isn’t that always the case in the record business?) As much as Michael was a genius, Frank was the one who knew how to execute the singer-performer’s dreams.

It’s a terrible thing to lose a friend; I’ve thought about Frank every day since he left us last year. He had already lost his own friend, Michael. He was with him in the hospital room when Michael was pronounced dead. It broke his heart. Even through their times apart, Michael was the highlight of Frank’s professional life. Once Michael died, Frank was a little lost, I think. Like Michael, he always expected to reclaim their glory days. I know they’re together right now in heaven–Frank chomping on a cigar and getting ready to celebrate Michael’s birthday on the 29th. And they’re free of the burden of re-creating the most successful star-manager combo since Colonel Parker and Elvis.

Rest easy, Frank.

http://www.showbiz411.com/2012/08/2...le-tookie-a-great-friend-and-music-biz-genius

OMG I never though I would see the day Roger Friedman could pull at my heart strings and make me cry :cry:

Very nice Story - I loved Frank Dileo - regardless of all the fan rumors and conspiraciesI know I'm my heart he was loyal to Michael. He always defended and spoke well of him. He was the only manager to come directly to his side during the 2005 Trial and publically defend his innocence. I was so happy when they teamed up for TII .. So sad when we lost him too - I hope there will be a tribute to him in Spike's BAD 25 Documentary he was such a huge part of Michael's many projects and success on BAD tour .

That was some hearbreaking writing Roger Friedman did there :(.
I've always loved Frank too, loyal to the end to his friend and people can say what they want, nobody messed with his Michael when he was around. Michael knew he was a friend for life and thanked him again for everything Frank had done for him on the Thriller25 credits.
So sad we lost him a year ago, just imagine what stories he could have contributed to BAD25.

That is an extremely touching tribute to Frank by Roger.:cry:

But something in that article is new to me. I had NEVER heard before about Frank's death being brought about by being left unattended by medical staff! It's a bit eerie to me to learn his death was similar to Michael's due to being left alone by medical staff.

Has everyone here known about that fact? Maybe I missed it before.

Frank and Michael sitting on a cloud, looking down and smiling, sometimes frowning (LOL), but mostly smiling.

That's the picture I have in my mind.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Love and Miss you Daddy &#55357;&#56468; <a href="http://t.co/gKYPl6FB" title="http://twitter.com/belindadileo/status/238993524824080384/photo/1">twitter.com/belindadileo/s&#8230;</a></p>&mdash; Belinda Dileo (@belindadileo) <a href="https://twitter.com/belindadileo/status/238993524824080384" data-datetime="2012-08-24T13:37:51+00:00">August 24, 2012</a></blockquote>
<script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Cant belive its been one year since frank passed away i totally forgot it was his annivarsy

I feel so bad that i forgot

tumblr_lqg53uV2MQ1qkix5ho2_r1_250.gif
tumblr_lqg53uV2MQ1qkix5ho3_r1_250.gif

tumblr_lqg53uV2MQ1qkix5ho4_r1_250.gif
tumblr_lqg53uV2MQ1qkix5ho5_250.gif
:girl_sigh:

Even there is some things I don't know well about him, and some things I always have heard in some places, like, for example, that Frank was a quite arrogant and didn't let Michael take decisions in several situations, I believe he always wanted the good to Michael and he was to much important in his life, helping him to become the extraordinary person he is...

I was rereading the Hit Man article from 2007 about DiLeo and he was definitely a mover and a shaker but when I read stuff like him winning a grammy for producing the Leave Me Alone video and all the executive producer credits and bullshit like that I have to laugh. The higher up you go, the less you do and then they tag you with some fancy credit for something you had little to do with. LOL The entertainment industry is one big circle-jerk and not enough kleenex around to clean up. So when they ask you for your sock you better high-tail the ef ouuta there!

This is really sad

Anna Marie Drago ?
On March 21, 2011, my uncle Frank Dileo went into Cedars-Sinai to have open heart surgery. The surgery was successful, but in the early hours of 3/22/11 an incident occurred in which he bled out into his chest cavity, which led to a significant amount of time with no oxygen to his brain causing permanent brain damage. During this time my aunt was never notified about this complication until she arrived the next morning. My aunt was led to believe that my uncle was not waking up due to having twice the amount of anesthesia from having the second surgery. It was not until March 29 that we were finally told that his diagnosis was Hypoxic Ischemic Encephalopathy, which means minimal brain function and will remain in a vegetation state. For the past 2 years we have been trying to bring a malpractice case against Cedars-Sinai, but it has been dismissed today because all of the lawyers we have consulted were not given the complete medical records.

In my opinion, whatever anyone says we know that something happened that night which would not have happened if he was watched more clearly. It just kills me to know that one mistake caused my uncles life to be taken away from him..none of this should of happened :(

Sad. I am puzzled why all the lawyers did not get the complete medical information within 2 years? Do they mean they were going to different lawyers and none got the complete medical? Couldn't a kin go to the hospital with documents and get them from the record room as I did once for getting the results of a procedure?

I am not too familiar with malpractice. If you have a surgery & during recovery something happens, is this a malpractice case? I know you are supposed to be monitored, but if something fails which is not an error on the dr's part, is this malpractice? I wonder if they tried for a settlement first? Something is really strange with this case. Form her last paragraph it seems they just think something happened that would not have happened if he was watched more clearly. However, what is the evidence for this, I do not know, and it seems she does not have that evidence either.

The problem is that before any kind of procedure and especially anesthesia you quite literally sign your life away and that you understand the possibility of even death occurring. Hence the general difficulty of malpractice cases.

But keeping the true condition from next of kin for two weeks...phew, that's nasty. On the other hand none of us know what kind of living will etc DiLeo might have signed beforehand and especially to whom he wanted medical information disclosed. Too many questions.

On the other hand I understand the difficulty in obtaining all files. After the birth of my son I went straight to the record department. While my son was hospitalized and the nurses almost filled a binder on him - and all I somehow got were 2 measly pages.

Rest in peace, Mr. DiLeo and say Hi to Michael from me. I'll smoke a good one for you.

I'll never forget how he sat in that documentary and was speechless describing the emotions after Michael's death - and not soon after he followed Michael.

This is really sad

Anna Marie Drago ?
On March 21, 2011, my uncle Frank Dileo went into Cedars-Sinai to have open heart surgery. The surgery was successful, but in the early hours of 3/22/11 an incident occurred in which he bled out into his chest cavity, which led to a significant amount of time with no oxygen to his brain causing permanent brain damage. During this time my aunt was never notified about this complication until she arrived the next morning. My aunt was led to believe that my uncle was not waking up due to having twice the amount of anesthesia from having the second surgery. It was not until March 29 that we were finally told that his diagnosis was Hypoxic Ischemic Encephalopathy, which means minimal brain function and will remain in a vegetation state. For the past 2 years we have been trying to bring a malpractice case against Cedars-Sinai, but it has been dismissed today because all of the lawyers we have consulted were not given the complete medical records.

In my opinion, whatever anyone says we know that something happened that night which would not have happened if he was watched more clearly. It just kills me to know that one mistake caused my uncles life to be taken away from him..none of this should of happened :(

So sad.... :cry:

We will remember you, Mr DiLeo. Rest in Peace. I hope that Michael and you are having a blast up there.

Frank will always have a place in my memory because he always seemed to be around Michael when I was growing up in the late 80s. I knew him as Uncle Tookie before I even learned his real name because of an MJ Annual from 88/89. I always liked his scene in Monwalker and think that thats when i first came across him.

Frank helped Michael a lot during what is my favourite period of Michael's career and I nearly always think of him in some way when I listen to BAD or watch any of the music videos (especially moonwalker).

I was so happy (but not surprised) to see Frank at Michaels side in 2005. Frank always looked out for and cared for Michael.

Its hard to say what would have been different had Frank not been in Michaels life, but I think everyone here is pretty damn glad that he was.

Thanks Frank.

Remember.

Frank will always have a place in my memory because he always seemed to be around Michael when I was growing up in the late 80s. I knew him as Uncle Tookie before I even learned his real name because of an MJ Annual from 88/89. I always liked his scene in Monwalker and think that thats when i first came across him.

Frank helped Michael a lot during what is my favourite period of Michael's career and I nearly always think of him in some way when I listen to BAD or watch any of the music videos (especially moonwalker).

I was so happy (but not surprised) to see Frank at Michaels side in 2005. Frank always looked out for and cared for Michael.

Its hard to say what would have been different had Frank not been in Michaels life, but I think everyone here is pretty damn glad that he was.

Thanks Frank.

Remember.

I agree. Rest In Peace Frank. I will always be thankful for everything you did for Michael.

Last edited:
This is really sad

Anna Marie Drago ?

Can't Frank's family refile the claim? I feel so sorry for them about this.

Back