Rod Temperton dies

mj-rod-temperton.jpg
Oh that's cute of Michael. That looks just like Steven Spielberg to me.

Sad news. He was a massive part of Michael's sound on OTW and Thriller.

That's Steven Spielberg, not Rod Temperton. This pic was taken during the making of the ET storybook. Temperton wrote the song 'someone in the dark', but of course Spielberg made and produced ET.

[URL="https://twitter.com/michaeljackson"] Michael Jackson &#8207;<s>@</s>michaeljackson <small class="time"> </small> [/URL]Thoughts and prayers go out to Rod Temperton&#8217;s family and friends with his untimely passing. His legacy lives on in his songs.

The Jacksons
&#8207;<s>@</s>Jacksons
<small class="time"> </small> Today we lost a friend in Rod Temperton. We'll pay tribute this week-end the best way we know how. Always & Forever 'Worms'!

Austin Brown &#8207;<s>@</s>AustinBrown <small class="time"> </small>

One of the greatest songwriters of alltime passed away. Thank you Rod Temperton for your timeless music that will be played forever. <s>#</s>rip

Pitchfork &#8207;<s>@</s>pitchfork <small class="time"> </small>

Rod Temperton's quiet genius permeated pop in ways most people never knew about&#8212;we look back on his legendary career

Beverley Knight &#8207;<s>@</s>Beverleyknight <small class="time"> </small> An extraordinary world-changing songwriter. TY for always supporting me. I'll miss you, always and forever.Heartbroken. <s>#</s>RodTemperton

Rolling Stone &#8207;<s>@</s>RollingStone <small class="time"> </small> Rod Temperton, prolific songwriter behind "Thriller," "Rock With You" and "Off the Wall," has died at age 66 http://rol.st/2dJVEct

[URL="https://twitter.com/BoyGeorge"]Boy George &#8207;<s>@</s>BoyGeorge
<small class="time"> </small> [/URL]

Sad to hear about the passing of Rod Temperton, a great British songwriter who gave us so much great music. R.I.P

That's Steven Spielberg, not Rod Temperton. This pic was taken during the making of the ET storybook. Temperton wrote the song 'someone in the dark', but of course Spielberg made and produced ET.

Why is it captioned as "Rod Temperton" everywhere? Weird.

Does anyone have a pic with MJ and him together?

Oh man - RIP Rod

Boogie Nights, Thriller, OTW, RWY my faves

Why is it captioned as "Rod Temperton" everywhere? Weird.

Does anyone have a pic with MJ and him together?

Quincy%2BJones%2Be%2BRod%2BTemperton.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder if they knew they just changed the world.

:) In that moment probably not. But surely it was Michaels goal(y).
Rod Temperton - great songwriter. May he have a wonderful time there above..................

Not sure if Rod is in the picture, it's difficult to distinguish but here it is Michael celebrating the last day of recording Thriller outside taco bell. As for Rod, may he rest in peace.
tumblr_nsv7h2Wv081rxfhcfo1_1280.jpg

Not sure if Rod is in the picture, it's difficult to distinguish but here it is Michael celebrating the last day of recording Thriller outside taco bell. As for Rod, may he rest in peace.
Thanks Snow. Pretty sure Rod is to Michael's right.
This is the pix I was referring to earlier.

I miss these days. I really do.

Little did they know they were about to make serious music history...

I am heartbroken. He contributed so much to us and to music history. He will forever be remembered as a genius. May he rest in peace. My thoughts go out to his family and friends

It sucks that he had to go through cancer :(

Sending condolences to rod's family & friends at this sad time

Two of the Big 4 responsible for OTW and Thriller are now gone. Thank goodness that we still have Quincy and Bruce Swedien (for the time being).

One major flaw with the Off The Wall Spike Lee documentary is that they didn't properly spotlight Rod. His name was only mentioned ONCE as I recall, by David Byrne. I wish they at least included the audio of the interview that Rod did for the 2001 Special Edition in the documentary. I know that his health probably prevented him from giving a new interview, but att least one interview with Rod from the past would have been nice!

Oh no! Needless to say I was too stunned when I read this news.
Rest in peace Rod. One of the best to pen a song. Hit songs!

His birthday is October 9th.

Last edited:

Great pic. I take it they'd all signed a balloon each & were about to let them go. What a beautiful, symbolic idea.

Back