Sony closes deal on buying 50% stake of Mijac catalog

@Mister_Jay_Tee
What? ...I have in my hands Zack O'Malley Greenburg,s book ,, Michael Jackson, INC. The rise, fall and rebirth of a billion-dollar empire,, 2014. In the chapter , History lesson,, at pg 173-175 the year of this deal is 1995, as well when you search on google
Article from billboard 2016
,,deal made 21 yrs ago,,. 1995...

Last edited:
I think its a pretty good deal personally, at the end of the day Michael's image could have been completely destroyed by the number of allegations against him.

The fact that his catalogue is worth so much says it all, despite the horror stories.

Michael is no longer here and was in a massive amount of debt, his financial state was dire.

The estate is now a money making machine and his children will benefit from it.

Until Michael's children have access to the estate, everything belongs to Sony.

50% is simply so Sony has a sizeable stake in the ownership. I presume they hope that when certain people die that the remaining percentage will be up for sale. I'm sure their ultimate goal is 100%. It's possible that this deal has been in negotiations for years, which has delayed new releases. Fingers crossed this means new music.

@Mister_Jay_Tee
What? ...I have in my hands Zack O'Malley Greenburg,s book ,, Michael Jackson, INC. The rise, fall and rebirth of a billion-dollar empire,, 2014. In the chapter , History lesson,, at pg 173-175 the year of this deal is 1995, as well when you search on google
Article from billboard 2016
,,deal made 21 yrs ago,,. 1995...
Typo

The transaction is said to leave the estate a significant degree of control over the catalog. That contrasts with many other blockbuster catalog deals in recent years, like those with Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen and Paul Simon. While those sales sometimes include finely negotiated parameters over how an artist's work can be used in the future — say, in commercials or political endorsements — they generally hand over management of songs to a buyer.

Representatives of Sony and the Jackson estate declined to comment on the deal, which was first reported by Billboard. When asked about the news of the deal, John Branca, who was Jackson’s entertainment lawyer in life and has been the co-executor of Jackson’s estate, said: “As we have always maintained, we would never give up management or control of Michael Jackson’s assets.”

"John Branca, who was Jackson’s entertainment lawyer in life and has been the co-executor of Jackson’s estate, said: “As we have always maintained, we would never give up management or control of Michael Jackson’s assets.”"
...So this means we still won't get new releases lol

.."they're reliable fans"
As would any company be who seems to keep getting exclusive rights of purchase. ...or was there any bidding on this deal? "Somehow" Sony always gets it.

Last edited:
Yeah in the recurrent management we're stuck with this $ony situation. If estate had the brains they could manage everything from inside and be much more responsive towards many of our wishes. Short term thinking make it seem like they are doing great business decisions, for executives to pile money and power, as in this world it's the status quo to do so.

Any authentic Michael Jackson company would be directed towards social initiatives and community engagement. We've seen very little of that.

Last edited:
Yeah, I actually would say Sony gets very little from this deal. It's basically just for the name's sake. Sony really loves MJ actually. Hilarious how badly they've done him at times but overall they're reliable fans.
realiable fans...thats a laugh 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Right. So this isn't just atrocious management from Branca, he actually has a conflict of interest. A lot of things make sense now. Even in death the snakes still have a hold of him.
They did and always will since hes no longer here to defend himself

Back