Spike Lee announces Off The Wall Documentary - Estate Announcement Page 66

Re: Spike Lee announces Off The Wall Documentary

GREAT NEWS !!

Hope it will be as good as the BAD25 doc. - I really like that one!

Spike Lee is the man - he respects MJ and has a very nice way of building up docs !!

I really hope this is true !!!

The payment from that deal was huge and attractive but I agree, it doesn't meant MJ approved/liked all the projects in it.

You don't understand the word "approved". He approved their release. Everything that was released while he was alive had to be approved by him. I'm not saying that he liked the idea of remix album, but he agreed to do it and approved the remixes when they were finished for release.

I thought Sony forced him to do the remixes....

I thought Sony forced him to do the remixes....

Maybe they did. He could have said no. But someone here mentioned that it was in his contract that he had to do a remix album.

:dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

I will be so very happy with any MJ doc that shares anything new/unseen/unheard about his inspirations and creative processes during that time.

Anything about when it is due to be released? Is it 2015 or ?

Great news! Can't wait. I'm also hoping for a concert from the second leg of the Destiny Tour

[youtube]BywZv7apVbw[/youtube]

Great news! Can't wait. I'm also hoping for a concert from the second leg of the Destiny Tour

[youtube]BywZv7apVbw[/youtube]

the triumph tour would be better i think!

''1. "Can You Feel It"
2. "Things I Do for You"
3. "Off the Wall"
4. "Ben"
5.Walk right now
5. "This Place Hotel"
6. "She's Out of My Life"
7. Movie Rap (Including a movie featuring snippets of "I Want You Back" "Never Can Say Goodbye" and "Got to Be There")
8. Jackson 5 Medley
"I Want You Back"
"ABC"
"The Love You Save"
9. "I'll Be There"
10. "Rock with You"
11. "Lovely One"
12. "Workin' Day and Night"
13. "Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough"
14. "Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground)"

the triumph tour would be better i think!

''1. "Can You Feel It"
2. "Things I Do for You"
3. "Off the Wall"
4. "Ben"
5.Walk right now
5. "This Place Hotel"
6. "She's Out of My Life"
7. Movie Rap (Including a movie featuring snippets of "I Want You Back" "Never Can Say Goodbye" and "Got to Be There")
8. Jackson 5 Medley
"I Want You Back"
"ABC"
"The Love You Save"
9. "I'll Be There"
10. "Rock with You"
11. "Lovely One"
12. "Workin' Day and Night"
13. "Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough"
14. "Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground)"

I want them both! Lol I know that won't happen but I've been dying to see a show from the second leg of destiny for a long time now.

I want them both! Lol I know that won't happen but I've been dying to see a show from the second leg of destiny for a long time now.

I just think the outfits, vocals and everything else are more superior on the Triumph Tour! footage from Providence & L.A look great!

I just think the outfits, vocals and everything else are more superior on the Triumph Tour! footage from Providence & L.A look great!

Yeah you're probably right, but the heart wants what the heart wants.

Fantastic news, wonder when that would be released :)

I hope this documentary is better than Bad25. Don't get me wrong I liked it but I thought it was just ok. It should have had more unseen footage. I can see why it was not in theaters. It was just ok. I usually buy everything Mj but not the Bad25 documentary. It should have been included in the delux release. IMO

I hope this documentary is better than Bad25. Don't get me wrong I liked it but I thought it was just ok. It should have had more unseen footage. I can see why it was not in theaters. It was just ok. I usually buy everything Mj but not the Bad25 documentary. It should have been included in the delux release. IMO

I agree with you, there's so much footage from Off The Wall that i'm dying to see.. studio footage especially! Maybe some Triumph Tour rehearsals also? even though that would be a great addition to the Triumph Blu-Ray/DVD

Very interesting! While highly praised, I've always felt this is one of the most overlooked aspects of MJs career in terms of material available (but I heard somewhere that OTW 30 didnt materialise because there simply isn't enough bonus material from that era anyway)... but who knows! I'm very excited to see some new studio footage! Hopefully Lee pays more attention to the creative aspects of MJ and the creation process of OTW. I felt Bad 25 focused a bit too much on the cultural impact of Bad and while that's important, I feel it's as equally important to focus on MJ as an artist.

Everyone knows of the cultural impact MJ had (especially in the 80s), but not enough people know him as an artist unfortunately.

Agree. No Bieber, Chris Brown and Kanye would be a good start. Also no VHS clips.

If they've actually worked on an MJ project or have been heavily inspired by MJ and are knowledgeable about him, I don't mind having them in the doco. If anything, it draws their fans to at least look up the documentary (and who knows, maybe we'll get some new MJ fans!)

Like I didn't mind Kanye being in the doco. He made some interesting (and true) points about MJs career, how the Thriller era was more iconic but the Bad era was more influential etc. I haven't a clue as to why Bieber was there. Yeah, he's influenced by MJ but I don't really see how him talking about how he does the anti-gravity lean when his planes take off has much relevance... at least Kanye worked with/on an MJ project and brought interesting thoughts to the table.

I don't mind VHS clips either, just so long as they're extra sure there is no better quality source available. I'd rather have VHS quality video than none.

Last edited:

I liked the Bad 25 documentary so can't wait to see this! :)

Very interesting! While highly praised, I've always felt this is one of the most overlooked aspects of MJs career in terms of material available (but I heard somewhere that OTW 30 didnt materialise because there simply isn't enough bonus material from that era anyway)... but who knows! I'm very excited to see some new studio footage! Hopefully Lee pays more attention to the creative aspects of MJ and the creation process of OTW. I felt Bad 25 focused a bit too much on the cultural impact of Bad and while that's important, I feel it's as equally important to focus on MJ as an artist.

Everyone knows of the cultural impact MJ had (especially in the 80s), but not enough people know him as an artist unfortunately.

If they've actually worked on an MJ project or have been heavily inspired by MJ and are knowledgeable about him, I don't mind having them in the doco. If anything, it draws their fans to at least look up the documentary (and who knows, maybe we'll get some new MJ fans!)

Like I didn't mind Kanye being in the doco. He made some interesting (and true) points about MJs career, how the Thriller era was more iconic but the Bad era was more influential etc. I haven't a clue as to why Bieber was there. Yeah, he's influenced by MJ but I don't really see how him talking about how he does the anti-gravity lean when his planes take off has much relevance... at least Kanye worked with/on an MJ project and brought interesting thoughts to the table.

I don't mind VHS clips either, just so long as they're extra sure there is no better quality source available. I'd rather have VHS quality video than none.

I've heard that OTW30th was canceled in 2009 due to MJ death. Correct me if i'm wrong but it's what i've read.

I've heard that OTW30th was canceled in 2009 due to MJ death. Correct me if i'm wrong but it's what i've read.

Interesting. Who knows in all honesty :)

Off The Wall definitely needs some attention. The style seems to have made a come back recently too eg. the new Olly Murs song and more. I would absolutely love if they released some rare and precious footage and audio! I just hope Spike Lee doesn't include 'artists' such as Bieber of Kanye West like he did with Bad 25. I'm looking forward to it though and I think Spike Lee will do a good job!! :)

Any footage in HD would be amazing tbh!

Yeah, I actually agree with this.

It wasn't cancelled because of his death. It was cancelled when the This Is It concerts were announced.

I must say that I think it's going to be hard to make a good documentary on OTW. It has been such a long time ago.

Remember a few years ago when Quincy Jones was planning to spearhead a re-release of Off The Wall that never happened? I really hope that he'll at least have some involvement with this upcoming documentary if he's healthy enough. It was really unfortunate that he couldn't appear in Bad 25, but it had already been established by the time Bad was originally released how well they worked together. Off The Wall wouldn't have even been possible if Q and MJ didn't meet on the set of The Wiz, so if he can't/won't be able to participate in a documentary about the album it would just feel so much emptier. I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed that he'll be fit enough to give an interview this time around.

Oh cool!
Even though this was before he had people filming his every move on his dime, I'm sure there's plenty of stuff from that era we haven't seen.

Oh cool!
Even though this was before he had people filming his every move on his dime, I'm sure there's plenty of stuff from that era we haven't seen.

I agree, i assume they will use some footage from awards shows though! wouldn't it be great to hear the Off The Wall recording 'Susie'? that eventually turned into Little Susie.. would be beautiful to hear, as well as Goin' To Rio & a few other's..

Great news I love Off The Wall !
I can't see Quincy being involved at all though. Because he is suing the Estate for his apparent unpaid royalties, I wouldn't blame the Estate for not involving him, especially when there is achieve footage and audio, where he speaks much more fondly about Michael.

Yeeeeaaahhhh! Can't wait. But I would prefer Dangerous 25/Documemtary as a new project.... :( I would LOVE to see Dangerous 25! :D

Aaaaaaaaaaand of courseeeee it will be awesome if WDAN would get more attention since it's a really good song...

I prefer that too!

I prefer that too!

who's to say they changed there minds to HIStory 25th and are releasing Off The Wall deluxe instead? or is it a HIStory deluxe, Thriller 3D & Off The Wall documentary? no one knows :p

Back