Spike Lee announces Off The Wall Documentary - Estate Announcement Page 66

Re: Spike Lee announces Off The Wall Documentary

delete -

Last edited:

Well not with that attitude

stop teasing people, i know you're being sarcastic ;) they'd never celebrate a posthumous release

If Spike Lee does an OTW Documentary, we won't be getting any OTW outtakes. Just some tour footages and some studio recordings I assume.

I'm hoping that the last project won't be Greatest Hits

Agreed. If there's one thing MJ doesn't need, it's another bloody Greatest Hits album.

Just for shits & giggles, this is OTW in quality order. By no means his perfect album, but for a twenty/twenty one year old nearing adulthood, it's a ****in' stunner.

"Workin' Day and Night"
"Off the Wall"
"Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough"
"She's Out of My Life"
"Rock with You"
"Get on the Floor"
"Burn This Disco Out"
"I Can't Help It"
"It's the Falling in Love"
"Girlfriend"

Of course that it's to each person's tastes, but why "I Can't Help It" so low? And DSTYGE only 3rd? One of his best song ever in my opinion. My list in quality order would be:

1. Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough
2. Workin' Day and Night
3. Off the Wall
4. I Can't Help It
5. Rock with You
6. She's Out of My Life
7. Get on the Floor
8. Burn This Disco Out
9. It's the Falling in Love
10. Girlfriend

Of course that it's to each person's tastes, but why "I Can't Help It" so low? And DSTYGE only 3rd? One of his best song ever in my opinion. My list in quality order would be:

2. Workin' Day and Night
3. Off the Wall
4. I Can't Help It
5. Rock with You
6. She's Out of My Life
7. Get on the Floor
8. Burn This Disco Out
10. Girlfriend
I would keep it exactly as is, but even if it were changed, I'd always put "Can't Help It" right after "She's Out of My Life." I always thought this, long before he wrote "Moonwalk", but he wrote (paraphrased) with Stevie's song coming next, you have this ray of hope and new love coming right after that sad song of a love gone wrong.

I would keep it exactly as is, but even if it were changed, I'd always put "Can't Help It" right after "She's Out of My Life." I always thought this, long before he wrote "Moonwalk", but he wrote (paraphrased) with Stevie's song coming next, you have this ray of hope and new love coming right after that sad song of a love gone wrong.

We were ranking songs based on their quality (our personal favourites), not changing the order of the songs - tracklist is perfect.

We were ranking songs based on their quality (our personal favourites), not changing the order of the songs - tracklist is perfect.
ooops. I apologize. I misunderstood.

Very cool
but what wouldve been a better idea is do a dangerous documentary :pray:

Very cool
but what wouldve been a better idea is do a dangerous documentary :pray:

Hopefully we'll get one too with Dangerous 25! I think that'd be a great tradition with the anniversary releases - have a coinciding documentary that looks into the cultural impact of the album and, more importantly, the creative process and development of Michael as an artist :)

I really hope to hear some official confirmation from The Estate about this.

Would be a real bummer if it turns out to not be true...

Hope the doc will be LONG - like minimum 2 hours! BAD25 doc is amazing! - Hope there are mor studio footage - but I don't know how much filming was used back in the OTW era. - it was more expensive back then - and the camera bigger I guess.

Hess;4057772 said:
I really hope to hear some official confirmation from The Estate about this.

Would be a real bummer if it turns out to not be true...

Agreed. This album was quite successful at the time, not obscure and deserves a full length documentary. I do hope that a documentary about OTW will be completed and will include Quincy Jones. Regardless of how Jones may/may not feel now and any legal issue he currently has with the Estate, the pairing was historic and should be documented.

It would be remiss not to mention what was happening in Michael’s life at the time; it was similar to a coming-of-age. There should be in-depth discussion about his quest for artistic independence and his desire and drive to prove himself as a solo artist. It must include The Wiz, what he achieved with his brothers with Destiny and Triumph for comparison (and entertainment) purposes, how it was promoted (Suzuki commercials, Diana Ross' special, the Chase interview, RS interview, etc), each video/short film (DSTYGE/RWY/SOOML: this is a MUST) and lastly – and hopefully – an abundance of archival, concert, and backstage concert footage. OTW was extremely successful for Michael despite not winning a Grammy and it should end with Michael’s desire to top himself which, of course, he did with Thriller.

I have no issue with contemporaries being included however; I would hope they would be more accurate and present for good reason. Questlove stated the Bad tour was the first stadium/arena tour for an African-American artist when Victory was the first stadium/arena tour for any artist of any race/culture. I also did not feel enough time was spent discussing the Bad tour; the work behind it, the achievements. I believe Bieber only appeared because L.A. Reid/Sony wanted to promote his artist which is disrespectful to Michael.

If this documentary comes to fruition – and I truly hope it does – I hope it will be distributed similar to the way I hoped the Bad25 documentary would have been distributed after airing on television. It should be a cd/dvd offering that includes the OTW album (most likely the same track list of the special edition unless there are unreleased songs available from the era) and the Spike Lee documentary. A second offering should include a live concert (Triumph although it would be grand to have Destiny AND Triumph so viewers can see the growth Michael had as an artist) and accompanying live cds (please do not condense a full concert to one cd again).

OnirMJ, I hope you understand this all is under Estate/Sony control. If you do not see concert footage (like the Triumph tour), blame goes to Estate/Sony, not any individual brother of Michael.

2. Workin' Day and Night
3. Off the Wall
4. I Can't Help It
5. Rock with You
6. She's Out of My Life
7. Get on the Floor
8. Burn This Disco Out
10. Girlfriend

I'm surprised that Get on the Floor is so low on your lists, guys. Those vocals! That bass! Such an awesome track. Still lights up the clubs. DJs and clubbers love it. IMO it's one of MJ's best tracks, definitely one of the best on OTW.

Last edited:

I'm surprised that Get on the Floor is so low on your lists, guys. Those vocals! That bass! Such an awesome track. Still lights up the clubs. DJs and clubbers love it. IMO it's one of MJ's best tracks, definitely one of the best on OTW.

Get on the Floor is easily one of the best on Off the Wall! In my top 3 for the album without a doubt.

It's one the richest tracks if not the richest there vocal and production wise. WDAN, DSTYGE and GOTF are very rich and unique, there's nothing from that era that sounds like that.

'I Can't Help It' is in my top 10 of favorite Michael Jackson tracks of all time, his vocals are so silky.. it get's under your skin and makes you wanna groove, slowly.. with a girl, at a wedding or something.. in fact, i'm gonna listen to it again right now :D

It's one the richest tracks if not the richest there vocal and production wise. WDAN, DSTYGE and GOTF are very rich and unique, there's nothing from that era that sounds like that.

Exactly. Those are my top 3 tracks from the album. But I Can't Help It (I like MJ going jazzy) and Off The Wall are close too. Well, it's a fantastic album.

If they go the boxset route they should definitely include the I Can't Help It demo that Sundberg plays at his seminars. Just MJ and a jazz trio, playing it loose and clocking in at (if I remember correctly) around 6 minutes. One of the best things I have heard MJ do.

^ I'd love to hear that.

There used to be some talk in the past about that OTW era might not have many unreleased songs. But even if it doesn't I'm sure there could be impressive extra material included, like the demos and different takes of the album tracks. We know Get on the Floor has an extra verse. So include that long version as an extra. The I Can't Help It Demo. Even though it was already released on This Is It the She's Out of My Life demo should be included as well, of course and the other already known demos plus unknown demos and alternative takes. I'm sure there's enough material there to make it interesting. Sunset Driver too should be included (and maybe released as a single) and even if there aren't many unreleased songs from that era there must be a couple.

Exactly. Those are my top 3 tracks from the album. But I Can't Help It (I like MJ going jazzy) and Off The Wall are close too. Well, it's a fantastic album.

Yep, after them I have "I Can't Help It" and "Rock with you".

The production of ICHI is quite simple but it's such a beautiful song - Lyrics are in my opinion one of Stevie Woner's finest works and the way Michael is playing with his voice there, I almost feel he was showing off (lol, not really)... it's just that great.

OnirMJ, I hope you understand this all is under Estate/Sony control. If you do not see concert footage (like the Triumph tour), blame goes to Estate/Sony, not any individual brother of Michael.

Of course not. The blame does NOT go to Estate/Sony. Especially Sony. What Sony have to do with it??? They only have rights for 2 MJ concerts - Dangerous Bucharest & HIStory Munchen. And now Bad Wembley. That's it. So please explain how can they be blamed for not releasing something they don't have rights to?? They are doing distribution for Estate projects. But Estate is the sole owner and they have the rights for all Michael Jackson footage. The thing with Destiny and Triumph tours is that it's not Michael Jackson tour/footage. So even if MJ paid for the shooting and he is the owner of the footage (we don't know if he is, probably not) - all 4 brothers have to say yes before the footage can be released. Estate is just 1/5. So first all 4 brothers + Estate have to agree to release JACKSONS concert and then Sony can decide if that is something they want to release.

Not true Onir, they can always release it without asking and later have the Jacksons suing them for exaggerated amount of money. It'll definitely be the Estate's fault.

There used to be some talk in the past about that OTW era might not have many unreleased songs.

No one can really know that. For example no engineers know what MJ was doing alone in his home during this time. Just remember Bad 25 demos that no one knew about. Especially during this era, because he recorded a lot of demos at Encino with Randy and Janet and probably other brothers too. For example MJ recorded demo of Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' for Off The Wall but thought the song wasn't good enough so he didn't even showed it to Quincy and Bruce! He was very insecure at that time, so he probably wrote and recorded dozens of demos before presenting them to Quincy. I'm sure there is a lot of material, not as much as for Thriller-Invincible but still plenty. There must also be songs considered for Destiny and Triumph albums that MJ wrote and recorded.

Last edited:

Not true Onir, they can always release it without asking and later have the Jacksons suing them for exaggerated amount of money. It'll definitely be the Estate's fault.

Sony would not risk that lawsuit. They ****ed up once with Anka. They won't be making that mistake again. I know for a fact that a lot of time was spent for getting permissions from all people involved with Xscape (writers, producers). Everything had to be cleared with America for using that sample in APWNN. It's really serious business, so even if Estate would want to go behind brothers backs, Sony would not do it before getting all the consents.

If Spike Lee does an OTW Documentary, we won't be getting any OTW outtakes. Just some tour footages and some studio recordings I assume.

We just may there is still some golden nuggets in that vault and just maybe there is some outtakes from OTW.

This is my favor album forgive me for saying this but after Michael pass away my radio station play this whole album and i just cried

Last edited:

Sony would not risk that lawsuit. They ****ed up once with Anka. They won't be making that mistake again. I know for a fact that a lot of time was spent for getting permissions from all people involved with Xscape (writers, producers). Everything had to be cleared with America for using that sample in APWNN. It's really serious business, so even if Estate would want to go behind brothers backs, Sony would not do it before getting all the consents.

Damn so a lawsuit is off the table then... :)

I'm just kidding :cheers:

Those are the 3 tracks that MJ wrote/co-wrote on the album. That once again shows that the songs MJ is involved with when it comes to songwriting will always be his best

Damn so a lawsuit is off the table then... :)

I'm just kidding :cheers:

But seriously it's a good and promising thing that Jermaine is not on the footage so he has absolutely no saying in this. So that leaves us with just Randy being problematic. Maybe his asking price won't be unrealistic. Let's hope so.

Those are the 3 tracks that MJ wrote/co-wrote on the album. That once again shows that the songs MJ is involved with when it comes to songwriting will always be his best

YES! And to be exact, two of those tracks were written solely by Michael (Get On The Floor is the one he co-wrote) not only that, those are the magic 3 he also co-produced.

Back