Spike Lee announces Off The Wall Documentary - Estate Announcement Page 66

Agreed. I have very little interest in what The Weeknd has to say. He has been famous a wet week.

That's just me though. He could very well blow me away with an anecdote or some story or opinion of his.

I don't have anything against him, and I love his song Can't Feel My Face. But I just think the ending is the perfect place to put all those artists talking about the influence of the album. I just recently saw The Rolling Stones documentary about one of their albums on my local TV station. I never heard about that album, but the whole documentary was just about that one album that is apparently so influential in Rock music. And the whole documentary there was just members of the band and people involved in the making of the album talking over the archive footage. And just at the very ending of the doc there were current artists, Rock and Pop, and various actors and celebrities talking about the influence of the album and how the album affected their life and influenced them. I thought that was the perfect concept. And that last part was very short but very effective.

I don't care, he should focus on Triumph album songs too like Can You Feel It as well.

No, he should not. Maybe you should check the documentary title. It's Michael Jackson's journey from Motown to Off The Wall. Not Michael Jackson's journey from Motown to Triumph.

I don't have anything against him, and I love his song Can't Feel My Face. But I just think the ending is the perfect place to put all those artists talking about the influence of the album. I just recently saw The Rolling Stones documentary about one of their albums on my local TV station. I never heard about that album, but the whole documentary was just about that one album that is apparently so influential in Rock music. And the whole documentary there was just members of the band and people involved in the making of the album talking over the archive footage. And just at the very ending of the doc there were current artists, Rock and Pop, and various actors and celebrities talking about the influence of the album and how the album affected their life and influenced them. I thought that was the perfect concept. And that last part was very short but very effective.

If it was Stones in Exile, it is about one of the most important albums of rock n roll history.

And I agree, that is way more effective. Docs about an album should only have those around that were involved at the time. The Weeknd's opinion is just as interesting and important as yours and mine. Regardless of how famous he is, I had just as much to do with Off the Wall as he did. Ditto Kanye West and Bad.

Im not sure why some people complain about re-release of MJ material so much... You can only release SO much new material from a person that is not living anymore. (sad to say).. The fact any re-release would have anything new is something to be celebrated in my opinion... Plus there are several new fans that have not touched OTW before, and having it re-released is just a way to get it more attention..

an just to comment about the constant blu-ray release mentioning's, we have to remember that MJ' fandom goes far beyond the reach to countries where blu-ray is a rarity.. To say that it would be a financial risk to release on blu-ray with lower buyers and higher expense to create. (limited release would be nice) but DVD players are in a much larger range of house holds.. I'd say it's safe to say that only 40% of people I know have blu-ray players and I'd say 75% of them have it because of a video game system.. (Xbox one/PS3/PS4) which in itself Is not something that is spread widely among MJ' fan base when looking on the large scale.

Triumph came out the year after OTW, yes, but wasn't it being worked on at the same time? I remember Michael saying that his brothers were really bringing it since they felt that competition from Quincy's team.
And he inadvertently called the Triumph tour the Off the Wall Tour in Moonwalker.
I'd expect to see it in the doc.

If it was Stones in Exile, it is about one of the most important albums of rock n roll history.

Yeah, that's the one. Apparently it is, but I never heard of it until I saw that documentary. And I enjoyed it.

an just to comment about the constant blu-ray release mentioning's, we have to remember that MJ' fandom goes far beyond the reach to countries where blu-ray is a rarity.. To say that it would be a financial risk to release on blu-ray with lower buyers and higher expense to create. (limited release would be nice) but DVD players are in a much larger range of house holds.. I'd say it's safe to say that only 40% of people I know have blu-ray players and I'd say 75% of them have it because of a video game system.. (Xbox one/PS3/PS4) which in itself Is not something that is spread widely among MJ' fan base when looking on the large scale.

You totally missed the point here. We want blu-ray because of its quality, not just because of the medium it's released on. You can always release a film or concert on both blu-ray and DVD, and the ones that doesn't own a blu-ray player will buy DVD. The only difference will be the quality of the picture (and sound), but both mediums will have maximum quality the format supports. All major movies are being released on DVD and blu-ray. The problem here is that you can not turn DVD quality into blu-ray quality. Just like they didn't manage to convert VHS quality into DVD quality. Quality will always be the same. But if you have blu-ray you can convert it in any quality you want and the quality will always be maximum that that medium supports (VHS, DVD).

I must admit, I'm less obsessed about technology than most.

If they found unreleased footage of MJ, and could only release it in VHS quality, in black and white, I would still buy it. I'd watch his genius any way I could get it.

And I agree, that is way more effective. Docs about an album should only have those around that were involved at the time. The Weeknd's opinion is just as interesting and important as yours and mine. Regardless of how famous he is, I had just as much to do with Off the Wall as he did. Ditto Kanye West and Bad.

It's difficult to make such a documentary about MJ when half of the people involved in the album don't want to or can't be involved in such a documentary either out of legal or personal reasons. Quincy, Rod Temperton, Randy (especially for the Destiny segment where he and MJ often wrote songs together). It's a shame really, but what could Spike Lee do? He had to cook from what he had. I'm sure he would have loved to interview Quincy for Bad 25 or this one and it's not his choice that he is not in the documentary.

You totally missed the point here. We want blu-ray because of its quality, not just because of the medium it's released on. You can always release a film or concert on both blu-ray and DVD, and the ones that doesn't own a blu-ray player will buy DVD. The only difference will be the quality of the picture (and sound), but both mediums will have maximum quality the format supports. All major movies are being released on DVD and blu-ray. The problem here is that you can not turn DVD quality into blu-ray quality. Just like they didn't manage to convert VHS quality into DVD quality. Quality will always be the same. But if you have blu-ray you can convert it in any quality you want and the quality will always be maximum that that medium supports (VHS, DVD).

What point did I miss? I'm saying the reason why (as far as I can see it) why many MJ releases are not blu ray is because a large amount of his fans don't have blu ray.. A company invests for profit - not just to make us fans happy.. Yes I'd love everything in Blu-ray.. But as you know a lot of math goes into this..

many releases have not been for the general (American and European) public to 'eat up', but made specific for a demographic fan base.. and when a large amount of that fan base wil not buy Blu-ray than they don't take the risk of investing..

THIS IS IT on the otherhand was widely excepted thus they felt it was worth investing in..

I do think (Which I said) MJ material shoud be available in Blu-ray at least on a limited bases or a special order though.. There is no loss that way

I must admit, I'm less obsessed about technology than most.

If they found unreleased footage of MJ, and could only release it in VHS quality, in black and white, I would still buy it. I'd watch his genius any way I could get it.
me too! if it's watchable, I'd totally get it. I have no problem with Wembley 88 either :cheeky:

That's completely unrelated and different topic. We are talking about short films and concerts that were shot on film for a purpose of release.

MJ's artistry is scattered around The Jacksons' and his solo albums so it's imperative that when analysing and showcasing his talents that one look at The Jackson albums too. Songs like SYBDTTG, CYFI, HH and BNA are important artistic statements in his catalogue that must not be ignored.

It's difficult to make such a documentary about MJ when half of the people involved in the album don't want to or can't be involved in such a documentary either out of legal or personal reasons. Quincy, Rod Temperton, Randy (especially for the Destiny segment where he and MJ often wrote songs together). It's a shame really, but what could Spike Lee do? He had to cook from what he had. I'm sure he would have loved to interview Quincy for Bad 25 or this one and it's not his choice that he is not in the documentary.

Of course, this is a Michael Jackson release we are talking about. It wouldn't feel right if things all fell into place lol

What point did I miss? I'm saying the reason why (as far as I can see it) why many MJ releases are not blu ray is because a large amount of his fans don't have blu ray.. A company invests for profit - not just to make us fans happy.. Yes I'd love everything in Blu-ray.. But as you know a lot of math goes into this..

many releases have not been for the general (American and European) public to 'eat up', but made specific for a demographic fan base.. and when a large amount of that fan base wil not buy Blu-ray than they don't take the risk of investing..

THIS IS IT on the otherhand was widely excepted thus they felt it was worth investing in..

I do think (Which I said) MJ material shoud be available in Blu-ray at least on a limited bases or a special order though.. There is no loss that way
Im curious, Why dont mj fans have blu ray? :eek:

Im curious, Why dont mj fans have blu ray? :eek:

lol it's not that no MJ fans don't have blu ray but if you dissect who has (blu ray vs. who does not have) a large portion of the demographic would fall in the 'do not'..
Blu Ray is not a house hold commodity in many homes around the world.
And when it's not a huge mainstream release, a large percentage of sales come from those areas...

Im not sure why some people complain about re-release of MJ material so much... You can only release SO much new material from a person that is not living anymore. (sad to say).. The fact any re-release would have anything new is something to be celebrated in my opinion... Plus there are several new fans that have not touched OTW before, and having it re-released is just a way to get it more attention
New fans are gonna discover the music on their own, even if they never re-released any of his albums ever again. So re-releasing them just because there's nothing "new" to release makes no sense

MJ's artistry is scattered around The Jacksons' and his solo albums so it's imperative that when analysing and showcasing his talents that one look at The Jackson albums too. Songs like SYBDTTG, CYFI, HH and BNA are important artistic statements in his catalogue that must not be ignored.

Absolutely. But not in this documentary. Because the title says "Michael Jackson's Journey From Motown To Off The Wall". And Destiny album gets its own chapter in this documentary, so I'm sure a lot of talks will be about Shake Your Body. But I'm sure there will be no talks about Can You Feel It, Heartbreak Hotel or even State Of Shock which is their biggest hit because there is no point in discussing those songs.

lol it's not that no MJ fans don't have blu ray but if you dissect who has (blu ray vs. who does not have) a large portion of the demographic would fall in the 'do not'..
Blu Ray is not a house hold commodity in many homes around the world.
And when it's not a huge mainstream release, a large percentage of sales come from those areas...

Again.. If you can release something on blu-ray (because of its quality), you can release it also on DVD, VHS or any other medium for those people who don't own blu-ray player. Just like they are releasing Off The Wall documentary now, just like they did with This Is It, Bad 25, and even Moonwalker, The Wiz.. and any other movie that is being released. That is not expensive at all. But when you have something in shitty quality like MJ short films released on DVD on Vision or Wembley on VHS you can release them only in that quality.

What is expensive is transfer of those short films shot on film. That is what they don't want to do. Also the reason for no concert releases on blu-ray are legal reasons and the fact that they are not in the possession of the original film reels (at least for the Bad Tour). If they had Wembley original film reels they would for sure release it on blu-ray and DVD.

Absolutely. But not in this documentary. Because the title says "Michael Jackson's Journey From Motown To Off The Wall". And Destiny album gets its own chapter in this documentary, so I'm sure a lot of talks will be about Shake Your Body. But I'm sure there will be no talks about Can You Feel It, Heartbreak Hotel or even State Of Shock which is their biggest hit because there is no point in discussing those songs.
Even if they were to discuss those Jacksons songs released after off the wall, state of shock is from victory which was released in 1984. Heck, why not make a chapter for thriller as well while we are at it, if we are gonna go that far??

Even if they were to discuss those Jacksons songs released after off the wall, state of shock is from victory which was released in 1984. Heck, why not make a chapter for thriller as well while we are at it, if we are gonna go that far??

Yeah, that was exactly my point.

I have read that many of you won't buy this re-issue simply because you already own the album (a thousand times, probably).
That's just a lame excuse though.

I mean, are you ... serious?! Take a look at that damn tracklist for a second:

1. Don’t Stop ’Til You Chalked Enough
2. (I Wanna) Chalk With You
3. Chalkin’ Day And Night
4. Chalk On The Floor
5. Off The Chalk
6. Chalkfriend
7. Chalk’s Out Of My Life
8. I Can’t Chalk It
9. It’s The Chalking In Love
10. Chalk This Disco Out

You can't deny this was MJ's original concept for that album. Glad the chalk will be finally seeing the light of day.
Guys, this is simply crazy, the whole world has literally gone OFF THE CHALK.

I just regret the re-issue is missing the classic Sunset Chalker, but you know, you can't satisfy everyone.

Let that chalk get into you
Don't try to fight it
There ain't nothin' that you can do
Relax your mind
Lay back and chalk with mine
You got to feel that chalk
And we can ride the chalk
Share that chalk of love

I wanna chalk with you (all night)
Chalk you into day (sunlight)
I wanna chalk with you (all night)
We're gonna chalk the night away

Last edited:
New fans are gonna discover the music on their own, even if they never re-released any of his albums ever again. So re-releasing them just because there's nothing "new" to release makes no sense

new fans discovering on there own depends on the type of fan.. I know plenty of 'MJ fans' that could only tell the names of a handful of songs.. Why? cuz when a new fan goes and buys music they will pick "THRILER' or "BAD" or 'DANGEROUS" before an album like Off The Wall.. unless new promotion (creates an incentive to buy)

trust me there's investors behind BILIONS of dollars that make these decisions.. and they are all calculated even when we don't agree with it

I thought we managed to move on from the whole chalk discussion two days ago. It's getting a bit old and tired to be honest.

new fans discovering on there own depends on the type of fan.. I know plenty of 'MJ fans' that could only tell the names of a handful of songs.. Why? cuz when a new fan goes and buys music they will pick "THRILER' or "BAD" or 'DANGEROUS" before an album like Off The Wall.. unless new promotion (creates an incentive to buy)

trust me there's investors behind BILIONS of dollars that make these decisions.. and they are all calculated even when we don't agree with it
Yes, of course it does. There are differen types of fans, and those who wants to will discover the music on their own, no matter what's being released. And those who don't want to, well that's up to them. And I don't think releases will change their mind, because they are not that type of fans who are bothered to learn more than a handful of songs

I thought we managed to move on from the whole chalk discussion two days ago. It's getting a bit old and tired to be honest.
Never! Chalk forever!

3059_135068129530.jpg

Back