Spike Lee announces Off The Wall Documentary - Estate Announcement Page 66

OTW needing to have been done along time age it is good to see that this is going to happen that was my first album i brought love it back then and still love it today. I hope this is not the last thing we will get from the Estate because we do need a Dangerous 25. I hope we get it and some more tours release like Victory Tour i love to have that on DVD a sharp clear one. All i can do is wish and hope it come true.

barbee0715;4129116 said:
^^Thank you!! I set my old VCR for Wednesday and now I really don't have to worry about missing it.

Yeah me too.I set my DVR. :) I'll watch it when I get home from work.

Has this link been posted in here?
http://thesource.com/2016/01/07/spike-lee-next-project-is-a-michael-jackson-documentary/

Lee’s new documentary will have it’s world premiere Jan. 24 at this year’s Sundance Film Festival.
It will follow with its TV debut on Showtime Feb. 5. Jackson’s estate and Sony Legacy Recordings are planning
to release a package that includes the documentary and the original album in CD/DVD and CD/Blu Ray editions
on Feb. 26. via: highsnobiety.

Not sure about it's authenticity. :unsure:

Jokes aside, I hope the Off the wall doc isn't the last thing we see from the estate.

Why would it be?? They have 3 more projects left in current contract deal with Sony ending in 2017 and after that they'll sign a new contract for more new projects. With Sony or any other record company. But most certainly it will be Sony.

Paris78;4129305 said:
NEW Off The Wall documentary coming to Showtime-Trial Streaming offer HERE ->> http://www.sho.com/sho/order/5/ott?s_cid=psm-variety-1938 … #OfftheWall

Brandy @4everBrandy 17. Jan.

Who's excited for this!? http://fb.me/3F3EoIlJU

Oh my jeeeeez! Michael is smokin' in that brief clip.
Up there on that dang pedestal thang in the air swiveling and wiggling and dancing his butt off and wooooo!...:heat:

The ultimate performer! :heart: Love him!

Thank you Paris for this post.

Oh my jeeeeez! Michael is smokin' in that brief clip.
Up there on that dang pedestal thang in the air swiveling and wiggling and dancing his butt off and wooooo!...:heat:

The ultimate performer! :heart: Love him!

Thank you Paris for this post.

I know, right!!?? :swoon:

Seriously, the OTW re-release is a joke. Cashing in on Michael Jackson fans.

Want to make EVERY fan happy? Release a Blu-ray Disc box set of all his tours, sourced from film and multitrack audio. 4K Blu-ray Disc would be even better to push that standard to the general public.

What a waste of a contract.

That comment made no sense. The majority of the people purchasing anything Mike-related ARE his fans, but the Estate's goal is to pull in a wider audience than that (possibly winning new fans), hence re-releasing OTW with the doc for those that may not have bought it/listened to it before.

Like Mike, his established/long time fans aren't going to live forever and in order to keep his legacy alive it has to be introduced to newer audiences.

It's impossible to please every single fan with a single project. You just have to try your hardest for whatever you do not to suck.

Myself, for example. I don't want a Blu-Ray disc box set of all his tours, and probably couldn't be bothered to pick it up. I wnat new music.

It's simple to create logic based releases, but they can't seem to grasp the concept of high quality/commercial productions. Only TII/BAD 25 disc 2 & Loving You/Chicago/Xscape promotion have pleased me. Fans need better, BAD Tour Blu-Ray/short film Blu-Ray etc. a lot of possibilities. Why would anyone continue to pay money for the standard that it is at now?!

I can't watch the new clip, I think it's only available in the USA. :(

It's up to you what projects you support and the ones you don't, why arguing once more? I won't buy this re-issue myself but if I'm pleased with the docu and it can be acquired separately, I will support it.

It's impossible to please every single fan with a single project. You just have to try your hardest for whatever you do not to suck.

Myself, for example. I don't want a Blu-Ray disc box set of all his tours, and probably couldn't be bothered to pick it up. I wnat new music.

that's already 1 fan that wouldn't be happy with a box set of all his tours....and I'm sure there's plenty more

I can't watch the new clip, I think it's only available in the USA. :(

It's up to you what projects you support and the ones you don't, why arguing once more? I won't buy this re-issue myself but if I'm pleased with the docu and it can be acquired separately, I will support it.

I could watch it and I don't live in USA? but of course that doesn't mean it can't be blocked in other parts of the world...sucks you can't see it :(

that's already 1 fan that wouldn't be happy with a box set of all his tours....and I'm sure there's plenty more

i wouldn't say anyone is gonna be disappointed at such release, we do have a lot in HQ but personally i wouldn't mind an upgrade.. and i'm sure there are plenty of other's who would buy it also.

i wouldn't say anyone is gonna be disappointed at such release, we do have a lot in HQ but personally i wouldn't mind an upgrade.. and i'm sure there are plenty of other's who would buy it also.

yes, of course there are fans who would be happy to get this...never said there wasn't. but the discussion was about that it's impossible to please every single one of us, no matter what they do...if you go back and read the comments, you can see what I mean

Is it available only from the USA or globally?

No:-(
I went to their site ready to download that channel but but site says this:
*You will not be charged for the SHOWTIME streaming service during the free trial period (the first 30 days or first 7 days of your subscription, as applicable). TO CANCEL YOUR SUBSCRIPTION AND AVOID BEING CHARGED, YOU MUST CANCEL BEFORE THE END OF THE FREE TRIAL PERIOD. To keep your subscription once your trial period is over, you will not have to do anything. Free trial, price and device availability may vary by participating subscription providers. Free trial is available to new customers only. SHOWTIME is accessible for viewing solely in the United States and its territories and possessions. Minimum high-speed broadband connection is required for viewing.

Shoot, we have to wait until it comes to our area as announcement mentioned this bit:
Following its premiere on SHOWTIME, it will be broadcast in other territories around the world and those air-dates will be announced by the local broadcaster in each market.

BBC bought rights to show Bad 25, so hopefully they show this one too.

The list of chapters from the ‘OFF THE WALL’ Documentary has been revealed!

‘Michael Jackson’s Journey from Motown to Off the Wall’ will contain:

1. The Jackson Five
2. The J5 Transforms into The Jacksons
3. It Was Destiny
4. Gotta Dance
5. The Wiz
6. Michael Takes Charge as a Solo Artist
7. Don’t Stop Til You Get Enough
8. Rock with You
9. Workin’ Day and Night
10. Get on the Floor
11. Off the Wall
12. Girlfriend
13. She’s out of My Life
14. I Can’t Help It
15. It’s the Falling in Love
16. Burn This Disco Out
17. Impact and Legacy of O.T.W.
18. Credits

SOURCE: MJFrance

That list looks good but is it genuine and where it was revealed?

If true, I'm looking forward chapter 6:clapping::wild:

I suppose chapter 17 is where Weekend and others talk about it so people who doesn't like their contribution can skip the whole chapter:)

Edit, never mind, amazon shows chapters.

Last edited:
myosotis;4129410 said:
The list of chapters from the ‘OFF THE WALL’ Documentary has been revealed!

‘Michael Jackson’s Journey from Motown to Off the Wall’ will contain:

1. The Jackson Five
3. It Was Destiny
4. Gotta Dance
5. The Wiz
6. Michael Takes Charge as a Solo Artist
7. Don’t Stop Til You Get Enough
8. Rock with You
9. Workin’ Day and Night
10. Get on the Floor
11. Off the Wall
12. Girlfriend
13. She’s out of My Life
14. I Can’t Help It
15. It’s the Falling in Love
16. Burn This Disco Out
17. Impact and Legacy of O.T.W.
18. Credits

SOURCE: MJFrance

Sounds great. Focus does not seem to be too much on the J5 era which is covered by so many documentaries but the Jacksons era is rarely mentioned in them. I am glad Destiny gets a chapter here. I wish Triumph had too, but it was after OTW, so it makes sense that it is not in this docu.

This is NOT good! I was hoping Spike would focus extensively on the 'in-between' period. There seems to be only three chapters for that:

3. It Was Destiny
4. Gotta Dance

There will also NOT be any focus on the Triumph album, even though he incorporated Triumph Tour footage.

This is NOT good! I was hoping Spike would focus extensively on the 'in-between' period. There seems to be only three chapters for that:

3. It Was Destiny
4. Gotta Dance

There will also NOT be any focus on the Triumph album, even though he incorporated Triumph Tour footage.

The main focus was always going to be OTW, not the in between period. That the in between period gets three chapters is pretty good and balanced IMO. Actually four. The Wiz is also in between period.

As for Triumph, while technically it can be considered a part of OTW era, but it was released in 1980, after OTW, so maybe Spike did not count it to OTW era. Maybe he will talk about Triumph in the Thriller docu.

Or the chapter "Gotta Dance" may be about Triumph actually.

Isn't the DSTYGE footage from Destiny tour?

Last edited:
Chapters all seem good to me, about as much pre-Off The Wall stuff as I expected and hoped. Hope we get some info on the Wiz we never knew. Destiny too, hopefully discussing how they produced it and wrote etc.

Quite looking forward to it now. I'm over the chalk fiasco. I know I'll buy it anyways. I'm a wanna be collector ha.

After Bad 25 I think this is something we will like. Spike Lee comes across as a bit of a clown to me sometimes but hats off to him for really putting MJ's artistry at the forefront of 2 of his projects.

Psychoniff;4129414 said:

3. It Was Destiny
4. Gotta Dance

Triumph Tour footage was incorporated in chapter 7. Don’t Stop Til You Get Enough. He could have incorporated footage from HIStory Tour also. It's the chapter about the song and it's legacy. Triumph - the album is not in any way connected to Off The Wall album and it's understandable it won't be discussed.

The chapters look amazing. Just reading it, it sounds much much better than Bad 25, but we'll see. It would be cool if the current artists are just in the last chapter about the influence of the album and not in the whole documentary. That makes much more sense to me.

The chapters look amazing. Just reading it, it sounds much much better than Bad 25, but we'll see. It would be cool if the current artists are just in the last chapter about the influence of the album and not in the whole documentary. That makes much more sense to me.

Agreed. I have very little interest in what The Weeknd has to say. He has been famous a wet week.

That's just me though. He could very well blow me away with an anecdote or some story or opinion of his.

OnirMJ;4129444 said:
Triumph Tour footage was incorporated in chapter 7. Don’t Stop Til You Get Enough. He could have incorporated footage from HIStory Tour also. It's the chapter about the song and it's legacy. Triumph - the album is not in any way connected to Off The Wall album and it's understandable it won't be discussed.

I don't care, he should focus on Triumph album songs too like Can You Feel It as well. But maybe not until the Thriller doc will that happen

I don't care, he should focus on Triumph album songs too like Can You Feel It as well. But maybe not until the Thriller doc will that happen

But why? Its called The Journey from Motown to Off The Wall. Not Off The Wall and Beyond. I expect they will show clips of the Triumph tour because songs were performed on that tour, but I wouldnt have expected Can You Feel It or Heartbreak Hotel.

Triumph wasn't an album of leftovers from Off The Wall, it's not artistically connected in any way. It's it's own sensational (albeit, overlooked) album in its own right.

EDIT: Actually nevermind

Last edited:
Back