Spike Lee announces Off The Wall Documentary - Estate Announcement Page 66

Looking really good:wild:

If he does Thriller documentary, perhaps he could consider a little wider scale of people to interview - Madonna, Prince, Mick Jagger and other little more heavy weights than the ones that are famous here today/gone tomorrow type of talking heads:D
I do understand his reasoning using these current acts, but it won't do any harm to add a few acts that has been around from the time when the actual album came out:)

Secondly, I think it would be nice if Prince or Paris could at least tweet to Spike and thank him, or acknowledge his contribution to their fathers legacy. He kind of said the same thing in his Bad 25 interview, and seemingly would like to hear from them.

Last edited:
I have watched that clip for four times now, I'm gone blind or something but didn't GMA advertise that we are going to see unseen video? Maybe they meant that unseen footage that was rolling in the background:) Silly me, there I was my eyes clued on screen looking for new video:rofl:

^thats what they meant.
I had been hoping that since he interviewed Stevie that we would hear more about 'I can't Help It' since it's probably my favorite song.
And it's Spikes too!!! So that'll be great.

I wish Prince and Paris would acknowledge it too bc it's been nothing but good. And their grandparents are involved this time too.

^thats what they meant.
I had been hoping that since he interviewed Stevie that we would hear more about 'I can't Help It' since it's probably my favorite song.
And it's Spikes too!!! So that'll be great.

Yeah, thats what they were tweeting:)
Good Morning America ?@GMA 21m21 minutes ago
COMING UP ON @GMA: Exclusive footage from Michael Jackson's personal vault, never-before-seen until now.

Btw, I want visiting rights to that vault, do I have to go to court or will just phone call do:D

Stevie (at least 1 heavy weight on this doc:)) was interviewed for this and so was Siedah.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the video Respect, I must admit I'm excited about it. He avoided the issues going on with the family which is fair enough and it pretty much confirms what a lot of us knew, that he's only interested in the 3 Quincy albums. I do hope that an entire performance of DSTYGE is included same as APO on Bad25 and I agree with the poster that suggested Prince, Madonna and Jagger would be incredible on the Thriller doc. Prince really needs to get over this on going grudge that he's been holding for 30 years. He's snubbed Quincy and MJ twice for We Are The World and Bad, and snubbed Spike for Bad25 and his take on what happened when they both spoke privately in the room together is widely anticipated for years now, his take on being asked to guest on Bad would have added so much. Come on Prince we all know that Jackson 5, Jackson's and Off The Wall were influences. Madonna's account would be interesting as she hung out with all of them during the Victory tour and Jagger would be superb, would be incredible if they had studio footage of State Of Shock, as well as Freddie Mercury footage, It was considered for the Thriller album?

Anyways From Motown to OTW is looking pretty good.

I have watched that clip for four times now, I'm gone blind or something but didn't GMA advertise that we are going to see unseen video? Maybe they meant that unseen footage that was rolling in the background:) Silly me, there I was my eyes clued on screen looking for new video:rofl:

I agree with you Bubs nothing new. Spike said it himself not new but reinfrim it look like it will be very good and it is a very clear picture also now we need Thriller for sure.

@aazzaabb I don't know if Prince holds any grunge towards Michael because he often plays Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough in his concerts. He wouldn't do that if he was sore towards Michael. Maybe the whole grunge thingy between him and MJ is man-made marketing trick to get peoples attention? I do have this idea of if Prince thinks him participating these projects, it takes attention away from MJ, the same say he said he didn't want to do Bad because it was going to be great without him in it, or maybe I have too high an opinion of Prince's character:)

Yeah, Jagger would be great to have as he has been behind 2 James Brown docu-movie and clearly loves soul music etc

It would have been awesome to have Prince talk about Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough influence to him as he seemingly loves it.

Last edited:
Maybe it the Bad song that Prince did not want to do with Michael that might be the grunge maybe.

I would have like to see Michael and Prince do that song.

Hey guys maybe this is footage that we saw maybe part of it but not the part from Michael vault maybe that why Spike is saying unseen footage you think?

Last edited:
^^ I don't know if Prince holds any grunge towards Michael because he often plays Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough in his concerts. He wouldn't do that if he was sore towards Michael. Maybe the whole grunge thingy between him and MJ is man-man marketing trick to get peoples attention?

It would have been awesome to have Prince talk about Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough influence to him as he seemingly loves it.

So what was stopping Prince from taking about the influence OTW had on him? All Prince has to do is lift the phone, he's always welcome on one of these projects.
I think he could have allowed Spike Lee to use footage (that already exists) of him speaking about Bad on Bad25. He didn't even have to spend a few hours filming if he was so busy, I think he knew the weight and value of him appearing would have added and decided because it wasn't all about him, i.e. A Prince documentary, he wasn't doing it. He's made catty remarks about MJ too, it doesn't bother me, it's not even necessarily bitchy, just Prince being Prince. He worked with Spike Lee before, why turn him down for Bad25? I'm a massive Prince fan but dudes a control freak. We want Prince on atleast one of these documentaries!!

and where is the super exclusive rare footage of mj like we have never seem him before lol

So what was stopping Prince from taking about the influence OTW had on him? All Prince has to do is lift the phone, he's always welcome on one of these projects.
I think he could have allowed Spike Lee to use footage (that already exists) of him speaking about Bad on Bad25. He didn't even have to spend a few hours filming if he was so busy, I think he knew the weight and value of him appearing would have added and decided because it wasn't all about him, i.e. A Prince documentary, he wasn't doing it. He's made catty remarks about MJ too, it doesn't bother me, it's not even necessarily bitchy, just Prince being Prince. He worked with Spike Lee before, why turn him down for Bad25? I'm a massive Prince fan but dudes a control freak. We want Prince on atleast one of these documentaries!!

I think Prince has an ego that won't let him participate in any MJ documentary. Especially not saying that MJ was an influence on him. LOL. I don't think they hated each other or anything but there was competitiveness IMO.

But then I don't think Prince especially needs to be in a documentary about Thriller. Of course it would be cool if him and Madonna etc. were in it. We know that Thriller did break down a lot of barriers for Prince as well. So if he could rise above his ego and appear in it, it would be great, but if not, oh well, we will survive I guess.

I was surprised that there was more J5-era footage than Off The Wall-era footage shown so far! Either way it looks great. I just hope that the release of the documentary doesn't suffer to harshly as a result of Spike's recent comments about the Oscars.

On a side note, if Spike eventually does a Thriller documentary, I wonder if there will be segments about the ET Storybook or We Are The World, since they both fell in the Thriller era.

On a side note, if Spike eventually does a Thriller documentary, I wonder if there will be segments about the ET Storybook or We Are The World, since they both fell in the Thriller era.

I don't think We Are The World is considered the Thriller Era. E.T. yes, of course, that was done in 1982. But We Are The World came in 1985 and by then MJ already moved on from Thriller and started writing new songs for the Bad album. For example Liberian Girl and some other songs have already been written by then. I think Thriller Era ended with the wrap of Victory Tour.

They could definitely touch on the ET Storybook, being that they worked on that simultaneously with the Thriller album. I'm just hoping they can get clearance on all the studio footage that was gathered during those years. Paul McCartney & John Landis are sitting on some very valuable stuff, aside from what MJ and his people have in the can.

I think Prince has an ego that won't let him participate in any MJ documentary. Especially not saying that MJ was an influence on him. LOL. I don't think they hated each other or anything but there was competitiveness IMO.

But then I don't think Prince especially needs to be in a documentary about Thriller. Of course it would be cool if him and Madonna etc. were in it. We know that Thriller did break down a lot of barriers for Prince as well. So if he could rise above his ego and appear in it, it would be great, but if not, oh well, we will survive I guess.
Agree with you, I just don't get why Prince can't say the words that MJ was an influence but has been happy to perform J5, Jackson's and DSTYGE? I guess that's his way of acknowledging it but wish for just once he could drop the ego and sit down for five minutes and commit a few words to record. I realise there's no way on earth he'll praise the biggest selling album of all time though as in his eyes it's about Thriller verses Purple Rain which it's not. It's just a nod to MJ for the inspiration, everything doesn't have to be a competition, marketing or talent wise. MJ, Prince and Madonna really did capture the 80's, the big 3 from that decade. We will definitely survive without him but I think a lot of people would really respect him for doing so.

I was surprised that there was more J5-era footage than Off The Wall-era footage shown so far! Either way it looks great. I just hope that the release of the documentary doesn't suffer to harshly as a result of Spike's recent comments about the Oscars.

There's no one way though. For me Thriller Era is everything between Thriller and Bad. Not counting the songs and the outtakes from Bad.

Agree with you, I just don't get why Prince can't say the words that MJ was an influence but has been happy to perform J5, Jackson's and DSTYGE?

Did that actually happen? Ever? I never saw that. I saw his band play Dancing Machine, Shake Your Body and DSTYGE with his backup singers singing it. I never saw him actually performing the songs. Do you have any videos or youtube links? I'd like to see that.

I don't think We Are The World is considered the Thriller Era. E.T. yes, of course, that was done in 1982. But We Are The World came in 1985 and by then MJ already moved on from Thriller and started writing new songs for the Bad album. For example Liberian Girl and some other songs have already been written by then. I think Thriller Era ended with the wrap of Victory Tour.

I just thought that We Are The World would be a good note to end a documentary on.

Agree with you, I just don't get why Prince can't say the words that MJ was an influence but has been happy to perform J5, Jackson's and DSTYGE? I guess that's his way of acknowledging it but wish for just once he could drop the ego and sit down for five minutes and commit a few words to record. I realise there's no way on earth he'll praise the biggest selling album of all time though as in his eyes it's about Thriller verses Purple Rain which it's not. It's just a nod to MJ for the inspiration, everything doesn't have to be a competition, marketing or talent wise. MJ, Prince and Madonna really did capture the 80's, the big 3 from that decade. We will definitely survive without him but I think a lot of people would really respect him for doing so.

I'm a Prince fan as well, but I think he has always liked to keep a respectful distance from the "Prince/MJ" banter. As he's said before, "Thriller, Purple Rain & Like A Virgin were moments in time" that could never be duplicated. He's resented the fact that each artist respectively, was critically imprisoned by the success of those 3 albums. Every album after is held up against the blockbuster phenomenons. He's well aware that everybody is waiting for him to speak on Mike, a picture to leak, or even a video clip of both of them within yards of each other lol.

Any one notice at 3:32 that spike hesitas a little, like he didn't really want to credit mj as a great songwriter?

From what I've been seeing on Twitter, a hell of a lot of people consider Spike Lee to be a pretty big racist, so I don't think that his stance on the oscars will affect those people. I've read some questionable things over the last day or so about him and things he's said, and some which I'm not too thrilled about, but I've no idea what's true or not.

Did that actually happen? Ever? I never saw that. I saw his band play Dancing Machine, Shake Your Body and DSTYGE with his backup singers singing it. I never saw him actually performing the songs. Do you have any videos or youtube links? I'd like to see that.
I'm not quite sure what you mean? In my estimation, and pretty much anyone else's estimation playing the guitar and jamming to a song with your band pretty much constitutes performing the song, so in that regard yes, he did many times. Videos or YouTube Links? You do realise we're talking about Prince?

when you say "did that ever actually happen?" What do you mean exactly?

CZKovQgWYAgyjV9.jpg

Ready ?! :) ...
CZHEJ7hUkAASIJg.jpg

I'm not quite sure what you mean? In my estimation, and pretty much anyone else's estimation playing the guitar and jamming to a song with your band pretty much constitutes performing the song, so in that regard yes, he did many times. Videos or YouTube Links? You do realise we're talking about Prince?

when you say "did that ever actually happen?" What do you mean exactly?

You know exactly what I mean. Did he ever sang any of those songs?

You know exactly what I mean. Did he ever sang any of those songs?
From what I recall, yes. Do I have any proof? no. Does that mean it didn't happen? No. Take from it what you will. Your original reply to my post seemed a little condescending, you were pretty much saying 'I've never seen the evidence myself, therefore I don't believe you. From what I recall I remember him singing a J5 song at some point. Again, take from that what you want. Anyhoo, it's cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand Spike's point about interviewing those people but who cares what new comers/fairly famous like The Weekend have to say really? Although I love when he pointed people need to be reminded how great Michael is because they forget it or take it for granted. I'm hoping too Spike included the entire DSTYGE performance, it looks explosive worth Michael's showmanship.

Back