Spike Lee announces Off The Wall Documentary - Estate Announcement Page 66

Who would want to see a senile, old bitter individual like Quincy Jones is today on a documentary? Some of you can give him the credit and praise him all you want but he had no right to lash out against Michael knowing he always thanked him for all the things Q did for MJ, speaking about him with utmost respect and admiration.
Snow, there's some people that were so important in allowing Michael to grow and evolve and recognized the beauty of Michael's gifts that I have to totally separate the comments made later.

Quincy was definitely an acclaimed composer and arranger before, but I can't think of any of his artists, including even Frank and Ella, that he could have been able to take the
kinds of chances that he did with Michael. Michael was Quincy's muse, whether he wants to admit it or not.

Personally, I'm glad Quincy is unable or unwilling to participate. Other people do much better jobs explaining the difference the Quincy touch makes. Things he can hear that no one else can. Glen Ballards recent excellent article and the American Masters doc come to mind. Sent chills down my back. I don't think Quincy could possibly explain anything as eloquently.

And yes, I think Spike should be making the History doc. Seems like John Branca has a soft spot for that album.

Snow, there's some people that were so important in allowing Michael to grow and evolve and recognized the beauty of Michael's gifts that I have to totally separate the comments made later.

Quincy was definitely an acclaimed composer and arranger before, but I can't think of any of his artists, including even Frank and Ella, that he could have been able to take the
kinds of chances that he did with Michael. Michael was Quincy's muse, whether he wants to admit it or not.

Personally, I'm glad Quincy is unable or unwilling to participate. Other people do much better jobs explaining the difference the Quincy touch makes. Things he can hear that no one else can. Glen Ballards recent excellent article and the American Masters doc come to mind. Sent chills down my back. I don't think Quincy could possibly explain anything as eloquently.

And yes, I think Spike should be making the History doc. Seems like John Branca has a soft spot for that album.

all this was a joke right?

or was it a glitch

Excited to see this! I really enjoyed the Bad 25 doc. A little part of me hopes we get one for Dangerous but I won't get my hopes up on that...*dreams*

I remember seeing a video (The quality was really bad) of Michael performing It's The Falling In Love. I hope that clip (In better quality) shows up in this documentary

I remember seeing a video (The quality was really bad) of Michael performing It's The Falling In Love. I hope that clip (In better quality) shows up in this documentary

On what occasion do you remember? A concert or? Was it fully live?

On what occasion do you remember? A concert or? Was it fully live?

I think it was a one off performance from the early 80's (From about 1980-1982) I saw that video years ago. The quality was really bad, so it was hard to make out everything. I've been trying to find it, but I've had no luck

^Are you referring to MJ's appearance at the Budweiser Superfest? This was in 1982, during the Thriller sessions. For years there was a rumour floating around that he performed It's The Falling in Love there, but it was established that he actually just appeared on stage during the finale of the show (along with several other performers) for Quincy's 'Stuff Like That'.

I think this is the clip you're thinking of:
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzY4NTI3Mzg0.html

I must say, all this footage seem new to me, maybe the documentary will not be a lazy release after all. Well, time will tell. ?

^Are you referring to MJ's appearance at the Budweiser Superfest? This was in 1982, during the Thriller sessions.
For years there was a rumour floating around that he performed It's The Falling in Love there, but it was established
that he actually just appeared on stage during the finale of the show (along with several other performers) for
Quincy's 'Stuff Like That'.

I think this is the clip you're thinking of:
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzY4NTI3Mzg0.html

I remember a clip of MJ performing in this setting of the screen shot you posted. It's been so long tho. :shout:
But I think Analogue is right about him performing.But not sure about the song. Wish I had saved it now.

97238130.jpg

Last edited:
I can't wait to see this, it's gonna be awesome and so is that triumph footage what a holy grail

Thanks for share love it.

Bubs post possible of a third Documentary.

Branca is most involved in the outlining stage, and then comes in again to help with the edit after Lee has done the interviews. For Off the Wall, Branca helped cut it down from 120 minutes to 90. "We wanted to keep the pace and the tempo moving," he says.

This DVD should be a little longer then 90 min.

Last edited:
Pminton, yeah the discs should have more footage and length. That was the case with Bad 25 too.

Pminton, yeah the discs should have more footage and length. That was the case with Bad 25 too.
I agree!!! I don't understand why these docs are so short. There's so much that we all want to see (or see again). I held off buying Bad 25 because I thought they'd have a longer version one day, but I just caved in when it was unavailable for so long.

I agree!!! I don't understand why these docs are so short. There's so much that we all want to see (or see again). I held off buying Bad 25 because I thought they'd have a longer version one day, but I just caved in when it was unavailable for so long.

I'm thinking it's because a shorter version in needed for TV. Bad 25 had a full version, and a shorter version.
Could another reason be because they don't want to exhaust their limited supply of rare, behind the scenes footage?
I would assume they want it to last for future projects.

Well, I know that I have been begging for a Triumph Tour, but I was browsing around 2000 Watts yesterday and somebody pointed out a late 3rd leg Destiny Tour I had never seen. (When I think of Destiny, I think of the London show)

I was freaking out through this-absolutely AMAZING SHOW and those kids are on fire through this. I'm about to watch it again. I really want them to clean THIS up and release it.
My, my.

So I was just on the Sundance site, and it looks like all the shows for Off the Wall have waiting lists, except one. First show is tomorrow afternoon-I can NOT wait to start reading the reviews!

I hope they release a quality concert with the doc. Wembley was great performance wise but I think I speak for some fans when I say that Wembley should've been in HD. After watching the APOM clip from bad25, it just made me want a complete show in that quality.
Anyway, I hope the estate release the triumph tour in HD if they have a complete show. Regardless, I'd take a quality vhs performance over nothing any day. IMO an HD Mj release is far overdue.

So I was just on the Sundance site, and it looks like all the shows for Off the Wall have waiting lists, except one. First show is tomorrow afternoon-I can NOT wait to start reading the reviews!

Me too and perhaps a few snippets to go with:timer:

IMDb ?@IMDb

Filming live at the #IMDbStudio w/ @spikelee #Sundance2016

CZbx5-nUEAEMyWQ.jpg

Hollywood Reporter ?@THR
#THRSundance: @SpikeLee talks #Oscars and 'Off the Wall.' Stay tuned for the interview!

QUESTLOVE PUTS THE DANCE IN SUNDANCE

Questlove will make a brief stop at the Sundance Film Festival to deejay a party for the premiere of Showtime's “Michael Jackson's Journey from Motown to off the Wall.” We're told that “The Tonight Show” bandleader will spend only 10 hours in Park City, Utah, where he's set to spin tunes at the Kia Supper Suite with The Church Key.
“Spike Lee wanted the night to be perfect for Michael so Questlove is making it happen and landing back in NYC for Monday's taping of the Tonight Show.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...arty-sundance-film-festival-article-1.2506840

myosotis;4130446 said:
QUESTLOVE PUTS THE DANCE IN SUNDANCE

Questlove will make a brief stop at the Sundance Film Festival to deejay a party for the premiere of Showtime's “Michael Jackson's Journey from Motown to off the Wall.” We're told that “The Tonight Show” bandleader will spend only 10 hours in Park City, Utah, where he's set to spin tunes at the Kia Supper Suite with The Church Key.
“Spike Lee wanted the night to be perfect for Michael so Questlove is making it happen and landing back in NYC for Monday's taping of the Tonight Show.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...arty-sundance-film-festival-article-1.2506840

Wow, this is perfect. I wish I could be there.

It seems there may be a theatre screening in New York on Feb 1st, if this is genuine:

------

To kick off Black History Month, on February 1st, The Estate of Michael Jackson & Spike Lee present an exclusive screening of 'MICHAEL JACKSON's Journey from Motown to Off The Wall" at The BAM Rose Cinemas.

Submission Period Ends: Monday, January 25 at 11:59pm ET

https://mjotw2016.splashthat.com/

Back