Spike Lee announces Off The Wall Documentary - Estate Announcement Page 66

Re: Spike Lee announces Off The Wall Documentary

Well, I'm not even 60 yet :fortuneteller:, so I don't want to wait tooooo long!!!

Well, I'm not even 60 yet :fortuneteller:, so I don't want to wait tooooo long!!!

hig-five-cat.jpg

laughing-cat-vitamin-l2.jpg

I know this is Bieber but this is kind of how I would want a documentary on MJ's music to be. This detailed on every song. Letting us hear different versions of songs throughout the creative process. http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...in-bieber-diplo-skrillex-make-a-hit-song.html

I watched that a few days ago and it is an excellent way to visually breakdown the music (love that song too). It'd be incredible to see something similar with MJ's music!

Anyone else just hoping for a documentary and not a tour release right now?

I'm not even 30 yet, I want to have some stuff to look forward to for a few years yet! I don't want the well to be dried up in only a couple of years. in 2012 we got MJ's best concert yet, it's only 2015. MJ himself never released things that soon after the last.

Destiny Tour : 79 concerts played
Triumph Tour: 42 Concerts played
Victory Tour : 52 Concerts played
Bad Tour : 123 Concerts played
Dangerous : 69 Concerts played
History Tour : 82 Concerts played

To aggregate that is 447 concerts filmed on video/tape/film. I'm pretty sure the well of concerts won't get dried up anytime soon.

Destiny Tour : 79 concerts played
Triumph Tour: 42 Concerts played
Victory Tour : 52 Concerts played
Bad Tour : 123 Concerts played
Dangerous : 69 Concerts played
History Tour : 82 Concerts played

To aggregate that is 447 concerts filmed on video/tape/film. I'm pretty sure the well of concerts won't get dried up anytime soon.

That is not really how it equates and especially with MJ , when MJ did a tour , it was pretty much a set routine , same set list , same performance , each concert of that tour , even down to the noises , squeals , all in the same places etc. The set lists would change slightly after certain legs etc but that is it.
WBSS is pretty much the same in every single tour id say aside from Victory where it is slightly different. MJ was not like other artists who would be a bit more spontaneous during tour dates .

Yes-I agree. I want them to hurry up and release "decent" copies of Triumph, Destiny and Victory. And the LA Forum show when they started out. Hurry up before some of us old fans croak.

All "youngsters" here can just wait and buy the super deluxe super remastered 3D 5D or versions in 20 years. Who knows what kind of technology you all will be able to get in a few years-you might be able to beam his concert right into your living rooms.

There's still plenty to look forward to.

Last edited:

That is not really how it equates and especially with MJ , when MJ did a tour , it was pretty much a set routine , same set list , same performance , each concert of that tour , even down to the noises , squeals , all in the same places etc. The set lists would change slightly after certain legs etc but that is it.
WBSS is pretty much the same in every single tour id say aside from Victory where it is slightly different. MJ was not like other artists who would be a bit more spontaneous during tour dates .

But every concert was still different. I would watch every Bad Tour concert if I got a change.

You're wrong actually.

Bad tour 1st leg had different costumes different songs different routines.
Bad tour 2nd leg had different costumes different songs different routines. He switched up the costume for dirty Diana a lot, he switched the costume for MITM as well. The lightning and stage evolved from the U.S. Leg to the European leg. He also switched the order for the songs many times through the tour. Steve Stevens appeared on one concert in NY, Different guitar solos for Dirty Diana.

Dangerous Tour 1st leg had different songs, dancers, costumes. Dangerous, TWYMMF,Bad removal of beat it and WDAN. Crane on beat it and then crane on BoW. On the second leg he had a different Jacket for IJCSTLY, different jacket for heal the world, one time he performed HTW with the bad jacket and one time with the MITM shirt and one time with a red shirt.

On top of all this there was different Adlibs, different ways of singing particular words, different dance moves, different energy etc, etc. so your claim is not true at all.

Oh and I forgot, The Jacksons tours was MJ at his spontaneous peak! He extemporized on every show. His performance was never the same as before, just listen to some amateur concerts. I personally would love to watch all of MJ's concerts. Every single one of them lol.

Last edited:

But it was essentially the same show every night.
Doing an adlib different or having a different jacket or cutting a song out doesn't mean its radically different...

Doing an adlib different or having a different jacket or cutting a song out doesn't mean its radically different...

Nobody said anything about the show being radically different just not the same every night which is not an opinion but a fact.

Obviously the user didn't mean the 'same every night' in the literal sense that would be impossible

Michael was different every night. His mood and energy wasn't the same. Michael's peformances also evolved during the tour like for example watch Another Part Of Me from New York or Kansas and compare it to Wembley. To me every concert is different.

Obviously the user didn't mean the 'same every night' in the literal sense that would be impossible

The fact is that there is 447 concerts filmed on video/tape/film. That was my point. There is no shortage of concert footage, and when they decide to release them most fans will go out and buy them and enjoy them. For those that can't enjoy them because they feel that they are all the same, well that's their loss :)

The fact is that there is 447 concerts filmed on video/tape/film. That was my point.

That's not fact though. We all know that Michael was rather sporadic when it came to his archiving so while ideally there should be a good number of concerts locatable/stored by the Estate, there's no way that all 447 concerts are.

That's not fact though. We all know that Michael was rather sporadic when it came to his archiving so while ideally there should be a good number of concerts locatable/stored by the Estate, there's no way that all 447 concerts are.

How is that not a fact? It is a fact that 447 concerts were filmed throughout Destiny all the way to History. Now whether all concerts exists today and what kind of shape they're in and if most of them are archived is up for speculation. But the fact still remains that MJ taped all of his concerts.

How is that not a fact? It is a fact that 447 concerts were filmed throughout Destiny all the way to History. Now whether all concerts exists today and what kind of shape they're in and if most of them are archived is up for speculation. But the fact still remains that MJ taped all of his concerts.

I misinterpreted your posts as saying and/or implying that 447 concerts currently exist on film/tape/etc, hence I brought up the archiving thing since I doubt the Estate has located each and every single concert ever recorded...

I don't see the Estate releasing more than one or two concerts from the same tour for quite some time tbh, it's not something often done by an artist. For me personally, the differences (like a different jacket) are pretty negligible so a slightly different concert wouldn't interest me at all... ...but then again, I've never been that big on his concerts (though I still have Wembley and Bucharest on DVD).

Michael was different every night. His mood and energy wasn't the same. Michael's peformances also evolved during the tour like for example watch Another Part Of Me from New York or Kansas and compare it to Wembley. To me every concert is different.

Well, yeah. You're talking to someone who will gladly sit and watch every single Bad Tour show in one sitting just to see how the performances were different each night.

But in the grand scheme of things, they were the same show is all (technically, that is).

This topic got me watching some comparisons of performances and maybe i was a tad hasty in saying they were all the same , what i have noticed is some of the Dangerous tour performances of She's Out Of My Life are probably the best ive ever heard / seen. I seen some of the Victory / Bad tour versions of them and he sounds great but the 1992 performances blow them out of the water .

Aren't all pop star shows the same in a given tour, in terms of the determined setlist and general choreography?

Aren't all pop star shows the same in a given tour, in terms of the determined setlist and general choreography?

Yes totally. However that doesn't stop a singer being spontaneous, MJ was not. Bruce Springfield , David Bowie had "setlists" but veered from them either due to his mood or the mood of the crowd. Obviously I adore MJ but he was very robotic and programmed in his concerts , hence why i said previously there really is no need to see any more concerts . One / Two is more than enough . I want to hear Men in Black , some hidden demos , not rehashed ones like we got on Xscape that most of us fans had already heard and knew about.

Many are like that, but definitely not all.

To me, as a dancer every concert was different enough to watch/study... in every performance there are open areas that he leaves for improvisation.. It's true there have been times since I know when those open moments are that I forward to those spots.. But, though a lot was similar during each leg of the tour, there is still a lot more to see.. I would love to have box sets per tour of multiple locations... That will never happen though!

As far as tour footage though, we can go back and forth regarding how much was recorded but we can all agree that several concerts per tour was filmed (IF) not all. IF you have the tools to film, I don't see why not recording all though!! and it was very much in Mikes style to film more than enough of everything..

He had someone to fallow him and just film him on a semi regular basis just to document for Gods sake..

We could have an hour of footage of some sort released every month and it last a lifetime... lol!

As far as tour footage though, we can go back and forth regarding how much was recorded but we can all agree that several concerts per tour was filmed (IF) not all. IF you have the tools to film, I don't see why not recording all though!! and it was very much in Mikes style to film more than enough of everything..

He had someone to fallow him and just film him on a semi regular basis just to document for Gods sake..

We could have an hour of footage of some sort released every month and it last a lifetime... lol!
Every concert is on video. The jumbotron footage of every concert was recorded on tape and that is where the Wembley concert we have is from.

^ I know... I was just wording that way so I wouldn't get... "How do you know every concert was recorded? were you there? Can I get a source please?" lol....

Yes totally. However that doesn't stop a singer being spontaneous, MJ was not. Bruce Springfield , David Bowie had "setlists" but veered from them either due to his mood or the mood of the crowd. Obviously I adore MJ but he was very robotic and programmed in his concerts , hence why i said previously there really is no need to see any more concerts . One / Two is more than enough . I want to hear Men in Black , some hidden demos , not rehashed ones like we got on Xscape that most of us fans had already heard and knew about.

I definitely see where you're coming from and I can understand that viewpoint but I think it's a little deeper than that. Bruce Springsteen and David Bowie ain't your atypical pop artist. The way the term "pop" music is used today is a very big deviation from it's initial usage and meaning. now when you think of pop music you think about the pyrotechnics, the big theatrics, the dance numbers, etc etc. So you give the audience what they wanna hear and see. You have choreograpies to do, pyrotechnics to cue. You have tanks coming on stage, people flying off on a jet pack, disappearing on a chair, getting impaled by spikes, and then you have the time constrains. So I don't think it's just that easy to "veer" away from a setlist. Especially if your doing the big, over the top, "pop" shows.

If you're doing acoustics sets where you play a piano or guitar or whatever it's a lot easier to deviate from the regular set list and MJ was not that type of artist. He did the big shows. Knowing how he was I still think he did a great job improvising.

Last edited:

I am looking for both Nothing has been done on Off The Wall yet and i want more concerts like Victory Tour .

^Definitely true, it's the freedom gained from having a simple music show without theatrics that allows a guy like Springsteen to play something like 50 different songs out of the 60 he plays in total on back-to-back nights. When you involve theatrics, you limit yourself with pyro, complicated choreography, and so on. But there is still a balance that can be struck. You can tour with a relatively static setlist, but still leave room to mix things up from night to night. Have a few set numbers, with some options in between for songs that do not require as many theatrics. Or switch up the order of the setlist sometimes. From what Michael Bearden was saying, Michael was planning to do this to some degree for This Is It, by having Human Nature and SIM in one slot on the setlist, and just choosing on the night which one he felt like playing.

I don't consider Michael a great improviser except with regards to his dancing, mostly during the earlier tours. I have no doubt that he could have been from a technical standpoint: his vocals or dancing were definitely not the problem. I actually think it would have been absolutely amazing to see Michael loosen the reins on both himself and the band, getting into a song spontaneously. Just look at his dancing at the 2003 BET Awards, the James Brown/BB King concert or Diana's performance of Upside Down. Technically as strong as always, but with the added energy of being completely unrehearsed and totally in-the-moment. That spontaneous, raw energy is just something which a rehearsed performance can never quite duplicate.

However, it's just not how he was trained, not the path he chose and just not really who he was as an artist imo. He was too much of a perfectionist. That same perfectionism gave us all the amazing work he produced though.

Just look at his dancing at the 2003 BET Awards, the James Brown/BB King concert or Diana's performance of Upside Down. Technically as strong as always, but with the added energy of being completely unrehearsed and totally in-the-moment. That spontaneous, raw energy is just something which a rehearsed performance can never quite duplicate.

That's why I absolutely adore the Dangerous Tour Rehearsals. He had forgotten a lot of the choreographies and just went with it and had fun. Doing moves he usually never does, singing songs differently. Love it.

Last edited:
Back