Spike Lee BAD 25 Documentary- DVD / Blu Ray [available on iTunes Nov 19]

Re: The Spike Lee BAD 25 Documentary /DVD/ TV / Theater Release [Discussion]

We don't know for sure what the truth is.

Katherine said that Jordan phoned her and said MJ was innocent.
It would be nice if Chandler came forward and publicly declared MJ as innocnet, but that is unlikely IMO. He (or his parents) became very rich from the whole ordeal and he wouldn't want to risk losing the money or the backlash that could occur. It is conceiveable (though unlikely for a number of reasons) that he did phone Katherine. Without any public confirmation or denial from Chandler we won't know the truth.

Personally I think Chandler could make an absolute fortune by the 'shocking revelation' (according to the media and non-MJ fans) that MJ was innocent. What TV channel wouldn't pay huge money for that story?! Again, it seems unlikely because of the backlash that could occur.

I don't think any TV channel would pay huge money for that story, there is only one thing that comes ahead of profit, and that's ego, their ego wouldn't allow admitting they were wrong essentially, no matter how much profit is at stake. Not to mention the general public might not be interested as well, as it would make them aware of their own ignorance, and how they were fooled like sheep, and therefore ignore the story and not make the channel any profit, so on both sides i can't see it happening, it's a pessimistic view i know, but sadly the way i see people.

Personally I think Chandler could make an absolute fortune by the 'shocking revelation' (according to the media and non-MJ fans) that MJ was innocent. What TV channel wouldn't pay huge money for that story?! Again, it seems unlikely because of the backlash that could occur.

It's gonna be a bit off topic, but while we are at it: Jordan confession would be HUGE - and for many people in a bad way. Just imagine how many careers have been built on the lie that MJ was guilty! Law enforcement people like Sneddon, Zonen and co. Media people like Dimond, Orth and others. How many documentaries were made featuring this lie, how many articles were written. Just imagine what it would mean for a LOT of people if Jordan confessed! And what it would tell about the media and our societies! The implications would be huge! It would not be just about Jordan but about a whole industry and eventually about whole societies.
I wish it would happen but I feel Jordan is too chicken to stir up things like that. A shame, because he owes that to Michael. Maybe on his death bed he will confess, but not sooner, I'm afraid.

Joe Satriani or whoever is the copyright used by sony for any Wembley footage. The APOM audio is indeed the DVD audio with a few audience screams etc put in and a few aaoowwwss and whatnot from other shows ;)

The origine of shamone. :D (They talk about it in the docu.)

well back to The Spike Lee BAD 25 Documentary /DVD/ TV / Theater Release [Discussion]

geez

yeah, stop talking about jordy before ivy/qbee comes here to tell you to stop talking about jordy.

Mod Note lol speak of the devil
For a minute I thought I was in the wrong thread. :scratch: Yes please lets get back on topic. This is suppose to be a postive fun thread about the BAD 25 Documentary. Which has nothign to do with Jordy or that statement. While it is an interesting topic it really doesnt belong in here. That discussion deserves a thread of its own. This thread has been partially cleaned to bring it back on topic and any futher discussion of Jordy will be deleted. but You are more than welcome to start a thread in the contro forum.

Let's move on and discuss how great this documentary is to Michael's legacy :)

I read on UKMIX and Prince.org that the BAD25 documentary received record viewing figures on German channel 'VOX'. 23 million people watched it apparently. I haven't been able to confirm that info for myself though so take it with a pinch of salt. If there are any German speakers here maybe they can find confirmation online?

Meanwhile we're still waiting for a UK TV air date for BAD25 in the UK. As we all know it was rumoured that the BBC would have a 'Michael Jackson night' where they would show the BAD documentary and the Wembley concert. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a BBC announcement soon.

gonna be so annoyed if the BBC don't show anything

I read on UKMIX and Prince.org that the BAD25 documentary received record viewing figures on German channel 'VOX'. 23 million people watched it apparently. I haven't been able to confirm that info for myself though so take it with a pinch of salt. If there are any German speakers here maybe they can find confirmation online?

Meanwhile we're still waiting for a UK TV air date for BAD25 in the UK. As we all know it was rumoured that the BBC would have a 'Michael Jackson night' where they would show the BAD documentary and the Wembley concert. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a BBC announcement soon.

23 million. no, thats not true.
1,23 million. and it was great for VOX. a big hit! it was better than a lot other tv channels in germany. won the battle against a few important programs on other tv channels.

source: http://www.quotenmeter.de/cms/?p1=n&p2=59893&p3=

good ratings..

what ratio of interviews to archive footage is there?

I dont like the dubbed french/german versions anymore-I want it without!!;P My french is to bad and I don't u derstand german..lol! xP

23 million. no, thats not true.
1,23 million. and it was great for VOX. a big hit! it was better than a lot other tv channels in germany. won the battle against a few important programs on other tv channels.

source: http://www.quotenmeter.de/cms/?p1=n&p2=59893&p3=

Yep, 23 million people would have meant that more than 1/4 of all the German population watched this. Impossible.

Review: Michael Jackson triumphs in 'Bad 25'

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...on-bad-25-documentary-20121026,0,492252.story
Spike Lee in-depth look at Jackson's 1987 album, 'Bad,' moves like a great pop song, with performance clips, 'who knew?' anecdotes and A-list testimonials.

Michael Jackson and Vincent Paterson on the set of "[lexicon]Smooth Criminal[/lexicon]" in a scene from "Bad 25." (Sam Emerson, ABC / October 25, 2012)

October 25, 2012, 4:06 p.m.
An unexpected narrative has solidified around Michael Jackson's legacy since the pop superstar died in 2009: that as much as he was a creative genius — an artist capable of pulling inspiration from the cosmos, as Jackson himself describes it in Spike Lee's new documentary "Bad 25" — his success came largely as the result of hard work.

The master is being remade as a trouper.

We saw the beginnings of this in "[lexicon]This is it[/lexicon]," the 2009 documentary-cum-concert film assembled by Kenny Ortega from footage recorded during rehearsals for Jackson's ill-fated run of shows at the O2 Arena in London.

PHOTOS: Michael Jackson life in pictures

And now the story advances in "Bad 25," which takes an in-depth look at the making of Jackson's 1987 follow-up to the world-dominating "[lexicon]Thriller[/lexicon]." (It's part of a 25th-anniversary onslaught that also includes a deluxe reissue of the album.)

"This documentary celebrates the King of Pop, Michael Jackson, and the achievements of his album 'Bad,'" reads a title card at the end of the movie, and the word "achievements" seems instructive: Lee revels in the long hours and musicianly expertise required to produce hits such as "[lexicon]Smooth Criminal[/lexicon]" and "[lexicon]Man in the mirror[/lexicon]."

The album's commercial triumph, in his account, simply rewarded a job well done.

"Celebrates" is another telling word. Packed with flattering performance clips and fawning testimonials from A-list admirers, Lee's two-hour film is no less worshipful than "[lexicon]This is it[/lexicon]."

The director nods to the extra-musical pursuits that threatened to destabilize Jackson's career during the extended layover between "[lexicon]Thriller[/lexicon]" and "Bad." He's especially insightful on the singer's controversial acquisition in 1985 of the Beatles' songbook, which cultural critic Nelson George says unsettled people — white people, one infers — who view those songs as "sacred."

But those were distractions, Lee decides.

What elevates "Bad 25" over sizzle-reel utility Lee's his distinctive personal touch. Partly, that means Lee's ability to get celebrities in front of a camera, as he did here with Justin Bieber, Mariah Carey and Kanye West, who thanks Jackson for introducing him in "[lexicon]Dirty Diana[/lexicon]" to a predatory-groupie type he's since come to know well.

In one memorable sequence, the director dissects the "Bad" video with its director, Martin Scorsese — a kind of "Behind 'Behind the Music'" moment that reflects the obsession with minutiae that animates all of Lee's work.

And with Jackson, there's never any shortage of fascinating insider anecdotes. Who knew, for example, that playwright August Wilson had been asked to write a script for the video for "[lexicon]The way you make me feel[/lexicon]"? (Wilson said no.)

All those details suggest that a nearly Jacksonian level of effort went into this meticulously researched movie, which following a theatrical run in L.A. is due to air on ABC on Thanksgiving. But not unlike the singer and his producer Quincy Jones, Lee stitches them together with speed and precision.

On-screen, "Bad 25" moves in the style of a great pop song.

^I thought that was a nice review.

Sorry if this question has been answered already but does anyone know when it will be released in the UK? Thanks!

that was an excellent review..

Saw it yesterday in Chinese theater. The film is amazing, absolutely amazing. The sound in the theater was fantastic! (I already envy those fans that own 5.1 sound system). The footage of Michael is a treasure, he is so cute and charming in every second of it that it made me dizzy. I seriously cannot understand how people who were working with him could handle his presence and not pass out.

One thing that disappointed me was how few people attended the screening. It was Friday night, 1st day, and there were, like, 50 people in the theater. I thought it would be sold out, but it wasn't even filled up to a quarter! Does MJ have only 50 fans in LA? If I lived there (I flew down for a day from the Bay area), I would go see the movie on Friday and on both weekend days! I felt especially bad because John Branca was there and there was just a handful of fans in the theater to meet him.

They clearly did not promote it enough...

Last edited:

-double entry-

I'm quite sure he has more than 50 fans in LA.. Maybe the weekend will bring in a bigger crowd

interesting. Did you talk to him? What did he say about the little attendance?

interesting. Did you talk to him? What did he say about the little attendance?

We talked to him a little in the lobby, before we went inside the theater, so at that point I didn't know how many people there would be.

I did ask him if the estate has any more unreleased footage, and he said they do, from later periods, so it might be released if they decide to do similar projects on MJ's later albums. (And that's one of the reasons why I want to see more encouraging attendance and sales numbers for Bad 25).

Thanks for sharing your experience Morinen. The big screen release was not promoted to the extent a regular film would be right? Maybe that's why the numbers were low.

Bad 25 documentary got zero promotional push. And no sense of urgency to rush into theatres to see Bad 25, when it's going to be on free tv next month.

^Yeah, I guess their main reason for the limited theater run is to make it eligible for the Oscars and not much else. The docu is also promotion for the album and video release, so receiving very little promotion itself.

25 Jahre Bad - Das Phänomen Michael Jackson Part I

The first part of the German doc, with comments of German artists + videos or snippets of various videos

TIME - 1:31:00

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3-_UIseO4jg" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Bad 25 documentary got zero promotional push. And no sense of urgency to rush into theatres to see Bad 25, when it's going to be on free tv next month.

And also it really needed to be shown in cinemas all over the world cuz alot of fans around the world wouldve loved to see it in big screen

I think it's amazing they showed quite a lot of footage of Michael in the studio recording BAD! Am I mistaken or was this absolutely unreleased so far? Apart from maybe two seconds during I think APOM, I never saw Bad recording footage in any docu ever!! If that's true, I wonder how they managed to hold it back for 25 years?

Back