Sponsor children etc

ChrissyBrown

Proud Member
Just would like to see if anyone else sponsors a child or children, gives to organisations?????

If so where are child/children from???? Names etc????? Organisation????

Thought it would be nice to chat about what we are doing to help in the world.
Gives sponsors a chance to chat to other sponsors worldwide & also help those who wish to sponsor in the future or donate to a charity.

I have 3 children through Watoto Ministries 2 girls & boy & my mum has 5 children through Compassion 4 girls & a boy.
I also sponsor a child through The Smith Family. Give to UNHCR & a couple of others have forgotten.

How nice!!!

I don't sponsor any since I'm still a student, but I think I'm going to visit a center for disabled children next week. I hope I find joy helping others as you and your mom do!

I sponsor a chid through Children.org. She is in the Dominican Republic.

Dangerous that will be very rewarding :) Its so nice to give back

GinVid: Cool one's of mum's girls is also in the Dominican Republic. How old is yours?

I support save the children, sos children villages and vi-skogen.
I support animals to for example I have become a member in defend the elephants(inspired from earth song and dancing the dream)

Never heard of sos children villages and vi-skogen. what do they do???
I used to do Save the children they are amazing.

Ginvid: Nice! How is she doing??? Have you heard from her lately. Mum's is Mary & she's 14

in the past i have sponsored 2 kids through world vision until their communites became self sufficient...was with save the children for a while and i'm now donating to UNHCR in Sudan as i think they are the only NGO's still allowed in the region

and i also donate to one of my in-laws initiative in kenya where they encourage HIV testing in the villages and HIV/AIDS education in schools.

Have a friend in Rwanda who i met at an orphanage and i have stayed in close contact with who was a victim of the genocide (most of his family was killed) who we help occasionally with money for schooling and other things he requires

in the past i have sponsored 2 kids through world vision until their communites became self sufficient...was with save the children for a while and i'm now donating to UNHCR in Sudan as i think they are the only NGO's still allowed in the region

and i also donate to one of my in-laws initiative in kenya where they encourage HIV testing in the villages and HIV/AIDS education in schools.

Have a friend in Rwanda who i met at an orphanage and i have stayed in close contact with who was a victim of the genocide (most of his family was killed) who we help occasionally with money for schooling and other things he requires

Wow good job! That happened to 1 of the children I sponsored through World Vision a few years ago. UNHCR is amazing. I give to them to :)

I hope there will never be another genocide like that anywhere in the world. That's wonderful you are helping them

I haven't heard of sponsoring children before, thanks for telling. I will look into it... Now I support Unicef.

Never heard of sos children villages and vi-skogen. what do they do???
I used to do Save the children they are amazing.

Here is information about sos children villages,I don´t sponsor a special child I just give and they can use the money there they need it most.
http://www.sos-childrensvillages.org/What-we-do/Pages/default.aspx

I dont wonder if you never heard of vi-skogen.
It´s a swedish project which help small-scale farmers in Africa, around lake Victoria.
I give trees and they help in many ways, both the environment and the families.
For every tree I give SIDA gives money too.
I hadn´t thought about the projects for years until Michael talked about how he loved trees
http://www.viskogen.se/English/Organisation.aspx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnVR6XP7PYQ&feature=player_embedded

They also help young people in Rwanda to start cooperative, the young ones get some education about different projects they can work with and then they sell their products in the market.

Unicef is also a great organisation. Love them.

Thanks MIST for the information. Sounds good to me.
So many countries need our help.

I regularly raise money for The British Heart Foundation (Although not a childrens charity they would cover children with heart problems too) & CLIC Sargent through sponsored events.

I've not looked into sponsoring a child before but may look into it financial commitments permitting :)

Yay!!!
So many organisations doing good.

Ronald McDonald Houses hehe I remember when I was younger on the counters of McDonalds they had money boxes shaped in the shape of the Ronald McDonald house in Melbourne.

My mom sponsors a child from India through World Vision. She gets reports and pictures regulary. I was first sceptical of all these organizations and where the money goes, but my Godmother just told me that her son's wife just became the head of our country's World Vision, so now I trust it and am considering sponsoring a child through them also. :)

My mom sponsors a child from India through World Vision. She gets reports and pictures regulary. I was first sceptical of all these organizations and where the money goes, but my Godmother just told me that her son's wife just became the head of our country's World Vision, so now I trust it and am considering sponsoring a child through them also. :)

Its good to weary of organisations. There are a lot of fake ones out there.
What country do you think you will choose for sponsor child????

Its good to weary of organisations. There are a lot of fake ones out there.
What country do you think you will choose for sponsor child????

I don't know what country. :scratch: Even though I kind of fell in love with Sri Lanka and the people there when I was there to help after the tsunami. Ultimately it wouldn't really matter. Where ever there is a child that needs help the most, I'd say.

I don't know what country. :scratch: Even though I kind of fell in love with Sri Lanka and the people there when I was there to help after the tsunami. Ultimately it wouldn't really matter. Where ever there is a child that needs help the most, I'd say.

Well said. How long were you in Sri Lanka????

I am sponsoring a child from Zambia through Children international!
I donate also to several children organisations like Abandoned Cabies and Children and Keep a child alive.There so many kids in need inn this world and we all can make a difference!

have been to Zambia and it's amazing..one of my favourite places. and thanks ChrissyBrown for a great post.

One thing about sponsoring a child. Some people don't realise that whilst you are given a child to correspond with, the money goes to the whole community to help them build from the ground up and become self sufficient. It would be unfair to have one child receive a donation and it's next door neighbour have nothing, so all money goes to the whole community to ensure every child is taken care of which is a wonderful thing, and the sponsor gets to correspond with a particular child in that community to make it more personal and rewarding for them. But your money is helping a whole community of children and their families which is so much more wonderful than just helping one child.

Last edited:
I'm a nanny to 5 children with Zambian background :) would love to go there.

Thanks for your post above!

Also some sponsor children may have more then 1 sponsor. Compassion is 1 sponsor per child. Watoto a child can have 6 sponsors

I always sponsor cancer patients, when they come to my door i always give them money, because its time to kill this. To many people die on this and i hope with research nowdays they can try and solve it.

Amen to the above :) I'm looking forward to the day when a cure is found for many diseases & illnesses. So many killers out there.

cancer has had an effect on us all...stop stupid government grants to do studies on belly button fluff and put more funds into cancer research i say

Aus government seem to fund roads & highways more then the essential things.

The Childrens hospital in Melbourne is being renovated at the moment. Will have its own aquarium & zoo although it sounds nice the design is ridiculous for a hospital more like a 5 star hotel.

One of the children I nanny passed away from cancer in Dec 08. Her sister is now fighting leukemia. Lost a friend to cancer 2 weeks ago although she was 81 she still had plenty of life in her. They are the recent deaths had more from cancer.

There are cures for many diseases which still kills millions of people.Children don´t get vaccine that prevent them from dying in some diseases.

There is a fundraising in Michaels name for children with cancer I give to it sometimes.

Back